Task view shows only a green spinning circle

Go to solution Solved by Grant837,

I have waited..

I have reinstalled Evernote

I have signed out and removed data and signed in.

No improvement...

I searched for help, but it seems a while since anyone posted about this problem, so I am checking if the community has any updates or advice.

I have also submitted a ticket, but that takes time.....

I don’t have a green spinning circle on task view, but I do have the issue where changing task properties (eg due date, title, recurring schedule) won’t save. It just sits there after I click the Save button and does nothing. I’ve done the MacOS equivalent of Revo Uninstaller with AppCleaner, but the problem persists. I haven’t ever had that same issue with the web version though so I generally resort to the web app to work with Tasks. 

@gazumped Yeah, I have used Revo, and also did a update of Windows 11 Home to fix any missing OS files... This is all on a PC at home.  But I get Windows 11 previews, and it may have started after the preview update.  My other windows PC has an earlier version, and Evernote works fine there...

I have updated the support team and sent a log...(they have replied twice now, saying its been escalated..

to be continued...

• Like 1

Update: I have done a complete Windows reinstall (this is my 2ndary PC, so it is less of an issue to start over again), and alas, the problem remains.

I have to assume it is an incompatibility with the pre-release of Windows 11 I am using: Build 25921 (since my data still all shows on my other Windows 11 PC, which as a slightly older version)

I would love to hear if someone else has this version and if the Tasks view (and widget) work or not?

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  On Windows 11 but build 22621 and tasks are fine.  Did you hang on to anything of your previous Evernote install when dealing with Windows?  Would a fresh install on this new system help?

On 8/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, gazumped said:

Did you hang on to anything of your previous Evernote install when dealing with Windows?  Would a fresh install on this new system help?

Nope, I clean the hard disk and reinstalled Windows. There is no way any remnants remained of anything.

Evernote Windows is pretty much useless for me right now... or at least very inefficient since I used the Tasks tabs with filters to collect a list of tasks for what I am focusing on at any one moment... now I pretty much have to browse my notebooks and files and scan the documents that might contain tasks...

I can only hope that the support staff is really working on it and not only sending repeatedly when I sent them updates, that they have escalated, but are busy so......

• Like 1

I have repeated a clean install on my Windows PC, including using the option to deep clean the data so no remnants of anything are still around.  I installed the latest version of Evernote as the first app on the system, and alas, still have the problem.  The install was also an updated Windows version, which I had hoped would help solve the problem.

All I get from Evernote after 10+ days is they are working on it, which I suspect means it's on a list of harder things to figure out and it's only one client kind of priority.  Alas, this makes Evernote useless for my work (this is a problem on my work PC).

image.png.af5df0251b68725c038196570ed01721.png

• Level 5*

Yeah I think the words "Insider preview / Evaluation Copy" about sum up your issue - if you can find another app that works in that environment I'd go for it.  I'm not sure Microsoft have all the bugs worked out yet - and I'm sure post developers are only just looking at what changes there are...

On 8/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, gazumped said:

if you can find another app that works in that environment I'd go for it.

Nah, I am a 14 year Evernote veteran....

I would rather quite getting the previews, but MS locks you in pretty much... I think I will figure out how to get the normal releases again...

Still, I hope what ever is causing this is fixed before its released or Evernote might have yet again another problem...

• Like 1

OK, re-partitioned my HD, and install a public version of Windows, and the problem is still there....

The log file has a lot of error/warning messages about things not found, etc...  I sent this new log

Here is to hoping Evernote will respond with something useful after 15 days (I am a pro customer....)

• Level 5*

You should still be able to get to your notes by signing in to Evernote.com,  which is almost as good as the installed version - and you could try signing out of your current version and uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller Free,  then power off/ on and reinstall.

16 hours ago, agsteele said:

It isn't unusual. Once your ticket has been passed to the developers it will have been closed - meaning 1st line support is no longer involved. You can reopen the ticket.

I hope they review this status approach when things stabilize. It is not a user friendly approach to status-ing. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Dave Green said:

I hope they review this status approach when things stabilize. It is not a user friendly approach to status-ing. 

I couldn’t agree more.  The norm for me is to have defects closed without being notified, and the problem still exists.  This approach sure doesn’t make sense to me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

This approach sure doesn’t make sense to me.

As far as the 1st line team are concerned,  the issue is 'closed' when it's passed off to a different team.  It keeps their stats clear and helps prioritise open tickets,  but I agree a 'pending' status would be better if they're waiting for external feedback from the 2nd string or from the user.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If they want to close out status to first level support “internally” that’s fine, but it should remain in some open state to the customer.  Closing out a ticket to a customer when it is merely being passed to the next level support provides a false impression.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
Just now, Abesato77 said:

I have exactly the same problems with the Windows app (on Windows 11) and the Mac app. Tasks work on Web version and apps on iOS.

Only thing to do for the moment is to add your ticket if you're a subscriber.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Grant837 said:

Nope, I clean the hard disk and reinstalled Windows. There is no way any remnants remained of anything.

Evernote Windows is pretty much useless for me right now... or at least very inefficient since I used the Tasks tabs with filters to collect a list of tasks for what I am focusing on at any one moment... now I pretty much have to browse my notebooks and files and scan the documents that might contain tasks...

I can only hope that the support staff is really working on it and not only sending repeatedly when I sent them updates, that they have escalated, but are busy so......

i experience the same problems. Only with Evernote on our notebook. Not in the Web version and on GSM. In the home screen, our 'Tasks' widget remains inaccessible. I can't get the 'tasks' module on the screen via the sidebar either. Green circle. Extremely annoying. Tried all sorts of things too, I suppose it's a general problem and for now I'm not going to bother the team trying to solve this with a ticket. Let something know what the solution was. Grtz, Franky.

Edited by Franky Devooght
More detail.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, Franky Devooght said:

i experience the same problems. Only with Evernote on our notebook. Not in the Web version and on GSM. In the home screen, our 'Tasks' widget remains inaccessible. I can't get the 'tasks' module on the screen via the sidebar either. Green circle. Extremely annoying. Tried all sorts of things too, I suppose it's a general problem and for now I'm not going to bother the team trying to solve this with a ticket. Let something know what the solution was. Grtz, Franky.

@Abesato77 @Franky Devooght I would appreciate it if you would submit a ticket... how else are they going to know its not just an isolated event?  They will choose how to prioritize it (which I suspect is low at this moment 😉

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Grant837 said:

@Abesato77 @Franky Devooght I would appreciate it if you would submit a ticket... how else are they going to know its not just an isolated event?  They will choose how to prioritize it (which I suspect is low at this moment 😉

@Grant837 I haven't submitted it. I checked the iOS apps (iPhone and iPad) today and found it works! The app on Windows is still not working. I'll submit a ticket after checking with my Mac tonight.

My problem has been solved.
I noticed that when I used the same Evernote account, but through a different Windows profile on the same device, the problem did not occur. (...my dear wife was the test. OK it is a bit unknowingly risky, but soit we've been together for 44 years so some things are already possible lol) 
With the lead in my shoes, I logged out and clicked on the dialogue box... my data could go. (...7445 notes...sic...) Immediately afterwards, within a minute, without rebooting, I logged in again via the icon on my taskbar ...surprise...all the data was still there, and in the task module no green circle, and ...a version number higher (10.64.5).
All systems are running smoothly. 😃

• Like 1

Wow, amazing, on two fronts. 

1. Indeed, with my Firefox browser, in private mode, I can use Tasks.  When I am not in private mode, I can not.  So this is some kind of permissions/security issue....

2. Almost 3 months later, and Evernote has not deemed to help me, or even contact me.  When I sent them my last reminder, with an update of what I tried in the last month, they basically told me ´Don't call us, we will call you´.  I know they had some serious issues for a while, but those are largely past, so I wish they would start giving more attention to paying customers with real problems...

• Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

Since things work in a Private window I'd check whether the issue is caused by an add-on. In a regular window disable ALL add-ons on a temporary basis. Does the Tasks pullout work now? If it does then enable the add-ons one at a time until the problem returns. That would identify the problem add-on.

If it isn't an add-on I'd explore what other differences exist in. Private window.

• 2 weeks later...

@agsteele  Thanks for replying.  Alas, I have done all you suggest, and I have even worked from a clean install of Windows, Evernote, and Firefox - all with no success.  I have also tried changing every possible bio-setting.  I can only image its some kind of security issue between my graphics hardware/drivers and some esoteric aspect of permissions to access Windows/java/whatever services...

• Sad 1

My main wish is that Evernote would provide me with at least the respect of addressing my problem by interacting with me in a constructive way.

1. I am a paying pro client
  2. I reported the issue more than 3 months ago, including logs, that showed some errors
  3. I have provided extra input as I tried out various solutions
  4. I have privately message @Federico Simionato

The only response I get is ´we are working on it´  and the last time, via support, a rather rude ´don´t call us we will call you´ kind of message, implying I should stop bothering them.

I have been forced to return to my old task management tool and try to efficiently link the two together.  I returned to Evernote, in part because Tasks seemed just good enough to manage my line of work inside Evernote, and I loved the idea of having everything in only one place.  Now that benefit is gone... alas, I still have ot stick with it because they have a great clipper (even if it does not clip Bing.com responses), and good search capabilities.

So, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. but mainly am upset by Evernote's lack of serious attention and support for a paying customer. 

Shame on Evernote.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Grant837 said:

upset by Evernote's lack of serious attention and support for a paying customer.

Evernote has paying customers around the world and (I would imagine) tens of thousands of issues and features requests to deal with.  If you've been told "we're aware",  Evernote are dealing with it.  Each "have you fixed it yet?" is a waste of both your and their resources.  (Plus contacting the boss direct...)

If this is something to do with Firefox - a famously secure and protective browser - it may not be in Evernote's power to fix things anyway

I can understand your frustration,  but Evernote have many other calls on their time.  Find a work around you can use and live with it for a while...

• Evernote Expert

I sympathise with the OP but there's at least one Firefox user that doesn't have this issue (me) and I suspect hundreds more.

I think we've only seen this particular issue for the OP and that makes it significantly more challenging to resolve.

I'd set Evernote to open in a Firefox private window until the issue is solved.

• Like 1

@agsteele @gazumped I remind you, its not only in Firefox... its also the app in Windows.  And I have the same problem in Chrome.

Also, my updates to Evernote are never just ´have you solved it´, I have always provided more information into what I have tested to solve the issue...

I will add, never, since the WWW started, or since Windows was launched, have I had so little personal interaction with the support team of the many applications or services I have paid to use...regardless of whether my issue was unique or not...

Update 2:  I give credit that Evernote provided me with a free extra month of Pro, for my problems, and said they are still working on it (I will try to believe them, even though I would really believe them if they asked me for more information or to try some things out...)

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, Grant837 said:

@agsteele @gazumpedI remind you, its not only in Firefox... its also the app in Windows.  And I have the same problem in Chrome

My apologies. I had only gone back to the interaction where you discussed private windows in Firefox. I'll step aside rather than irritate you further. Sometimes being another user means that attempts to assist are unhelpful or at least feel so to the person affected.

I wish you well in your search for a solution.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/147147-task-view-shows-only-a-green-spinning-circle/?do=findComment&comment=705057

I have the same problem and the same observation. Workaround is not possible in Edge.

This problem also occurs on two of my devices in the desktop version of Evernote.

IMHO it is important that Evernote comes up with a solution to the problem.

@Schiffers Have you reported this to Evernote via their request too?  It helps a lot if they see more than one case.  And like you, its a problem only on my professional laptop, not my personal one.

@PinkElephant Just for background, I have actually gone as far as to completely reformat my HD, resintall windows and then evernote next, just to be sure it was not leftovers, or another app causing the problem.

@gazumped They are aware, just not doing anything about it....

And, to add insult to injury, the last email I got from Evernote support was the same one you get when you first present an request for support - eg check this community, etc - as if the problem had not been open for 4 months now....

Welllllll, now Tasks do not work on ANY of my laptops...... this happened when I installed Evernote on a brandnew laptop.... odd, but true, and sad... almost as sad as Evernote Support completely ignoring my request for help...

I should add:

1. The Tasks pane also does not work in private view anymore (at least in Edge)

2.  This also started after the last release of Evernote... which seems a more likely cause than my using Evernote for the first time on a New PC.

I am currently deleting all my tasks, also in complete and in the Trash, and I will empty my trash (for the first time in 12 years!) to see that work.

** The next step would maybe be to somehow export my entire database, and import it again... hoping that cleans it up.  I would not want to loose my folders or task... would this be easy to do, or does anyone have another suggestion what I might try?  **

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Grant837 said:

I am currently deleting all my tasks

I was reading through this thread and was just going to suggest that.

I had an issue with one recurring task that would not generate an updated due date. I'd complete the task and it'd just go back to the old date. Finally deleted the task and created a new one. I haven't had that issue again (that I know of). Not near as drastic an issue as what you've got.

Wondering if there is not some task somewhere in your account that has some bad data or meta-data that is causing an exception and failure to render the task view. Seems like a long shot, but worth trying as a last resort.

Hope you can get it figured out and resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

I have removed all my Tasks, deleted 10 years of trash, quit Evernote, including not retaining my data, and logged back in, but alas, the problem still exists.  

Evernote has not provided any help after 5 months.  They even sent an email recently implying it was a new request, and if the problem still exists...

• 2 weeks later...

I've the same issues and no idea how to fix it. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times but no improvement. Cleared data etc., tried Web clients and Mac App with the same outcome. Contacted support 9 days ago but no real response apart from forwarding to developers.

No sure how this continues, any help from anybody?

Best,

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, stefan66 said:

I've the same issues and no idea how to fix it.

Neither has anyone else by the looks of it - we're mainly other users here,  so the only place to report this properly is Support - though at least one user above has tried that to no effect.  Support had a crisis at the end of last year,  so you'll get a lot of random standard responses,  but stick with it - give them as much information and as many screenshots,  Activity Logs and other details as you can,  and maybe they can work out why this only seems to affect a few people.

As a matter of interest - what's your device / OS and Evernote version?  Do reminders work in the browser version for you?

Edit: scratch that last question - I see you already said the web doesn't work.

Yes, it also not working on the web client, just get a green spinning wheel when I try to access tasks on web and macOS. If I try to access on iOS I get empty tasks, but when I clic on related tasks notes it's spinning as well.

Sadly I just renewed my Evernote subscription after a longer pause and now I'm unsure if it was a mistake with everything what's going on at the moment.

As said fully understand the situation but 10 days without response is a but heavy with everything they charge.

Just found a work around via:

contains:task

for notes with completed and incomplete tasks

contains:taskCompleted

for notes with completed tasks

contains:taskNotCompleted

for notes with incomplete tasks

• Like 2

@stefan66 Yes, thank goodness Evernote has excellent search - I even pay for Pro so I can use the boolean search once in a while.

To give you encouragement, it's been 155 days since I reported my problems with Tasks, and 84 days since they have responded in any way about this issue.  😉

2 hours ago, Grant837 said:

@stefan66 Yes, thank goodness Evernote has excellent search - I even pay for Pro so I can use the boolean search once in a while.

To give you encouragement, it's been 155 days since I reported my problems with Tasks, and 84 days since they have responded in any way about this issue.  😉

Sounds great. I’ll switch to OneNote, but thanks for the info. 

On 1/2/2024 at 5:06 PM, stefan66 said:

Just found a work around via:

@stefan66: Can you please describe your exact procedure - for example where do you enter contains:taskNotCompleted

15 hours ago, Jochen_GE said:

@stefan66: Can you please describe your exact procedure - for example where do you enter contains:taskNotCompleted

On a windows version, click on Notes in the navigation sidebar.  The slide out list view shows a filter icon in the upper right.  Click on that and you will see the fields.