Android passcode white screen bug

3 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Temporary update is out with disabled passcodes. Let me know if you encounter issues.

Android team now working to fix the bug and reintroduce passcodes.

I had a white screen. Needed to get one of my notes so had to uninstall it. I've now got my app open but couldn't understand why I couldn't set up password.  Thanks to you I know why now. I hope it won't be to long before the bug is fixed as I have sensitive information on there

Seriously? I updated the app to see if synchronising was any better before I starting taking a decision about my future with Evernote (thanks to price being almost double from next month for me), and now my notes are *unprotected* on my phone because you removed the passcode feature?

Evernote has a slogan on the website "Safe and synced".  At the moment, my notes on my phone are neither!

• Like 1
On my device the same thing happened. 
It had a white screen and I couldn't get in. 
I had to uninstall the app to get it back to normal. 
However, now the option to register a password on access no longer appears. 
Application access is vulnerable. 

Please fix this as soon as possible. Thanks
Edited by bydrummer
correction
  • Like 2

Hi, I have a password not a passcode but am still having the same problem. I can log in and access my notes for a few seconds and then it kicks me out to client debug mode. How do I get the fix I went to the play store, re downloaded and restarted and still dows the same thing! Pease help this is my most used app!

If not is there a way I can download an older version through Evernote. I know a LOT of customers have been asking for this.

Thanks so much,

Josie

• Evernote Expert
14 hours ago, bydrummer said:
On my device the same thing happened. 
It had a white screen and I couldn't get in. 
I had to uninstall the app to get it back to normal. 
However, now the option to register a password on access no longer appears. 
Application access is vulnerable. 

Please fix this as soon as possible. Thanks

Please re-read the posts above to understand what is going on and the process that is being followed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
33 minutes ago, JBaker said:

Hi, I have a password not a passcode but am still having the same problem. I can log in and access my notes for a few seconds and then it kicks me out to client debug mode. How do I get the fix I went to the play store, re downloaded and restarted and still dows the same thing! Pease help this is my most used app!

If not is there a way I can download an older version through Evernote. I know a LOT of customers have been asking for this.

Thanks so much,

Josie

This is a different issue to the one described. You might need to open a support ticket to get the issue noticed. 

• Level 5

Mobile devices are by definition personal devices. Nothing is at risk, everything is still protected by the device security.

One can argue about the logic behind additional pass codes for single apps. There may be use cases, but currently disabling it for a while to me seemed to be the better path than trying a brute force reconstruction.

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Mobile devices are by definition personal devices. Nothing is at risk, everything is still protected by the device security.

One can argue about the logic behind additional pass codes for single apps. There may be use cases, but currently disabling it for a while to me seemed to be the better path than trying a brute force reconstruction.

"Nothing is at risk"?  A level of security has been removed, so of course the risk level has risen.  Phones get stolen, phones get hacked, people get observed entering they unlock pin for the phone. The passcode adds a level of security to the data stored in Evernote.  I find removing it without warnung irresponsible.

I have compared it to my bank card.  It's stored in my personal wallet and no-one knows my pin.  No-one has access to it, as long as it with me.  If the card gets stolen, I know that it is useless at the cashpoint without that pin.  Unless the bank says "sorry, we had to fix a problem, so we turned off the pin requirement to withdraw cash".

"One can argue"... yes, but one can also say the users are (sorry, "were") already using and paying for this feature.  Rather than being warned not to update and lose the feature, I got an e-mail telling me I'll be paying double for the priviledge from next month.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you have a bad device protection, nothing will keep your data save when you loose your device. The devices content can be erased on too many bad attempts, effectively locking a thief out. Apps (AFAIK) don't have this sort of brute forcing protection.

But anyhow: If a developer detects that an app will either not work at all when used together with a feature (here: Passcode), or can be made working temporarily without the feature, what is the best decision viewed from the users perspective ? Simple: Remove the conflicting feature.

• If you as a user accept that the app is working, but without passcode, you have a working app. Let's call this group A.
  • If you as a user don't accept the app is working without passcode, you can easily solve the problem: Log out when you want to disable access. Let's call this group B.

What is the outcome:

• If you take the decision to remove the feature until solved, A can use the app, and B can use the app as well, with some additional effort.
  • If you take the decision NOT to remove the feature, A and B can't use the app at all.

If I am not mistaken (I use iOS), the information was in the release notes.

I just checked the release notes to see, and admittedly it says "We temporarily disabled passcodes, as a bug was causing a white screen at launch that prevented the usage of Evernote. Passcodes will be fixed and reintroduced soon."

Too bad this is only for EN-US users and my phone is set to German, where the release notes just say (translated) "We came, we saw, we fixed some errors".  So, no, I wasn't warned before updating.

• Evernote Expert

The Android release notes in Google Play Store also say "We came we saw..." etc.

There really isn't any advanced warning of changes to come in any of the applications. The release notes are presented after installation - a kind of celebration of progress.

Those facing and struggling with the white screen issue and came to these forums did have advanced warning.

Perhaps there should be a confirmation screen when an update is installed. Certainly a pop up which explains such a significant change. Or even a menu item where Passcode would be set explaining what is happening.

Nonetheless, the Passcode needed to be suspended to get access to notes for everyone. The Devs are working to restore Passcode function asap. In the meantime, log out when you stop using the app and back in when you are ready to go if you need that level of security.

Personally I consider the Passcode protection illusory but, of course, YMMV.

• Like 2
On 7/25/2023 at 8:13 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Temporary update is out with disabled passcodes. Let me know if you encounter issues.

Android team now working to fix the bug and reintroduce passcodes.

Where it is? I am still facing the debug mode error every time i log in. where can i retrieve my notes. I lost all my important notes and cant retrieve it. Please help.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:18 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you have a bad device protection, nothing will keep your data save when you loose your device. The devices content can be erased on too many bad attempts, effectively locking a thief out. Apps (AFAIK) don't have this sort of brute forcing protection.

But anyhow: If a developer detects that an app will either not work at all when used together with a feature (here: Passcode), or can be made working temporarily without the feature, what is the best decision viewed from the users perspective ? Simple: Remove the conflicting feature.

• If you as a user accept that the app is working, but without passcode, you have a working app. Let's call this group A.
  • If you as a user don't accept the app is working without passcode, you can easily solve the problem: Log out when you want to disable access. Let's call this group B.

What is the outcome:

• If you take the decision to remove the feature until solved, A can use the app, and B can use the app as well, with some additional effort.
  • If you take the decision NOT to remove the feature, A and B can't use the app at all.

If I am not mistaken (I use iOS), the information was in the release notes.

2 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Bug-fixed passcodes are going to be reintroduced with Evernote 10.53, likely out next week.

I appreciate the updates on the Android issues, but it would be lovely to get an update on all the desktop problems with 10.59.5.

• Like 1

I would most love if such bugs would never be distributed. A bug rendering any EN for Android useless when passcode activated (see the dozens of user comments in Play Store flooding). Again, how could this not be observed by basic testing before release? By the way: the temporary fix is still not available for my devices in Play Store.  I am ending up in a bug-in, bug-out loop with Android development now with every new release I guess. Worse than ever before now. 😔

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Bug-fixed passcodes are going to be reintroduced with Evernote 10.53, likely out next week.

RE the bug 'fix': I'm currently on version 10.55.1 but still no passcode or bio-metrics/fingerprint sign-on features (as were previously available), when using my Android device. Please let me know how best to restore/activate these features now that the bug has apparently been fixed. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

RE the bug 'fix': I'm currently on version 10.55.1 but still no passcode or bio-metrics/fingerprint sign-on features (as were previously available), when using my Android device. Please post the best way to restore/activate these features now that the bug has apparently been fixed. Thanks!