Pitiful performance recognized by support as an issue!

Me:

don't know what has been going on recently, but usability of the latest build of EN (10.57.6) is so slow it is painful to watch.
I thought it was issues due to the iTunes store version, so I completely eliminated every trace of Evernote from the iTunes store, including all the hidden directories and files in /var/ and my ~/Library/ and restarted. I then downloaded the latest build directly from evernote.com and did a clean installation. It seems to be even slower than the iTunes version!
I am talking about opening a note with a PDF that takes about 3 minutes to appear. I click on the note and all I see is "Saving…" down in the bottom right of the window and a completely BLANK note. Waiting and waiting and then finally it appears. And this is for a notebook that is also stored locally!
My MacBook Pro is a 14" M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine & 32 GB RAM and a 2 TB SSD running 13.4.

Support reply:

Upon checking, I can confirm that our development team is already aware of this issue and has been urgently working on it. I don’t have a specific timeframe of when this will be resolved, I can assure you we’re working diligently to fix it, but It will not be too long.

Me:

Please don't take us back to the dark days of 2011 and 2014 and all the turmoil.

---

Anyone else noticing unusable speed issues especially with PDF attachments?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you would have looked up the forum, you would have found several threads about this issue. A simple scroll would have been sufficient. I spare myself to repeat the useful information you may find there.

Hint 1: There is only an AppStore version  - iTunes is a place where to get music and other media, not software.

Hint 2: At least those on the direct download already get 10.57.10. We are advised to update, since it holds fixes to speed things up. It may be the release needs a little to trickle down through the usual AppStore procedures.

Thank you for correcting my mistake with referencing the App Store.

And thank you for being the veritable Evernote advocate for so many years. I've only been using EN since 2009.

A cursory glance at the General Discussions posts revealed nothing about performance issues. If I had the time to write as many posts as you I surely would have had time to do a thorough search. But since I pay for support, I reached out to the real knowledge experts. I was merely trying to ascertain the extent of the slow downs. The post has been pushed down so far the list I am sure nobody but you will see it in any event.

NNTR

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don’t take it personally. For some people on this forum, their Evernote devotion runs so deep that any criticism of the app is taken as a personal attack. The app can do no wrong. The company can do no wrong. Evernote is an objectively benevolent force in the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
52 minutes ago, Abnotes said:

Don’t take it personally. For some people on this forum, their Evernote devotion runs so deep that any criticism of the app is taken as a personal attack. The app can do no wrong. The company can do no wrong. Evernote is an objectively benevolent force in the world.

I've been using Evernote since 2011 as a subscribed user, and so far, I've accumulated over 29,000 notes. Most of these notes were created after the introduction of V10. I must admit that I wasn't too fond of V10 initially, especially with the changes in the layout that made me feel uncomfortable. But like any software, Evernote isn't perfect. However, in all the years I've been using it, I can only recall having to create a handful of Support Tickets, and I've always been impressed with the level of support I received. I recently submitted a minor bug in the Android Mobile App, where I couldn't pin a note to the Home Screen on my phone. Support was able to replicate the issue and promised to deal with it in due course. In the meantime, I'm quite happy to add any notes I need to my Shortcuts for easy access. I apologize if your experience with Evernote hasn't been as pleasant as mine. Maybe Evernote isn't the best software for your needs.

I sent my observations to support a couple of days ago, including journals and all technical informations.

They answered that the actual release, since the introduction of RTE or so, has performance issues. Engineering is in charge of solving the issue in the future releases. 

First recommandation : install any new release coming up
Second recommandation : do not uninstall/reinstall as this does not change anything.

My thoughts : disappointed at the moment, as RTE was really a nice update to help with sync, but not being able to read a note content for 2 minutes or so when I open it makes EN not usable as I need to browse notes very often.
I started moving part of my notes to a new software, as I cannot wait months and months to have a usable EN.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 6/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, Jean-Christophe said:

I started moving part of my notes to a new software, as I cannot wait months and months to have a usable EN.

Which software I need an alternative I have lost all faith in Evernote.

Sadly, I am moving in that direction as well. I've been waiting for two months for the web clipper issue not being resolved - my last email from support was 2 weeks ago, promising yet again to get back in a day or two.

I only use Evernote for clipping (I'm an academic) and I have found it worthwhile to pay annually for a service that worked flawlessly for years. 

The other options do not seen satisfactory: OneNote does not play nice with Mac; Joplin has major syncing issues (especially when using an iPad); Notion is, well, Notion (it basically has repeatedly failed to import all of my thousands of notes and pdf's).

So what are my options? As best I can tell, either I keep paying for a service that is not satisfactory or I start fresh with Notion (not importing old notes, since uncertainty about what has been imported defeats the utility of search) and keep two databases...

How is the uploading process with Upnote going? I looked at the app and the clipping process seems fine - while it does not have the automatic folder and tag selection function (which has not been working in Evernote for 2 months), the clipping process is smooth otherwise. Since clipping is by far the most important function for me, I would rather pay $30 once than $60 annually (of course, the price could go up more when I renew, given what the CEO said recently).

Hello, I am using Evernote on Windows, and performance is appalling. It takes 30 seconds to open a note. The response from Evernote is " we are working on the issue and we do not know when things will return to normal".

I am seriously considering moving to another note taking app. Anyone thinking the same or suffering from the same issue ? I really regret the older version, when Evernote was really fast and performant.

Thanks for reading. 

• Thanks 1

The main app has been updated but the clipper hasn't for a month. I also haven't heard from support since inquiring a few days ago about the status of my support request.

Thank you both for your replies. I have version 10.57.10. When going to the help menu,  Evernote "tells" me that 10.57.10  is the latest version available. I have Evernote for Window, on Window11, with language set in French. 

• Evernote Expert

10.58.3 is the latest desktop app. Of you want to get it before it arrives via the automated route go to evernote.com/download

The web clipper is an entirely separate tool. It usually gets fixed in about 4 weeks. However, the desktop app issues have been given the highest priority so the Clipper may have been less urgent.

Thanks you very much. I installed 10.58.3, and the performance is a little better compared to 10.57.10.

I still get a lot a waiting time for accessing old notes.  It takes now 5 to 10 seconds to open a note with a few lines of text, and up to a 30sec when the note contains images. 

It feels like Evernotes is not downloading my entire notes on my hard drive, and so the software needs to access the note from the server.  I realised that my internet connetion is partly to blame as I have a mobile data 4G connection. But still, I think that Evernote should download a copy of my notes locally. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. 

Evernote screen capture 2023-06-09 160736.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@vipen, welcome to the forums. It's always helpful to read through a thread before posting. One of the earlier posts (quoted below) set out the reason for what's going on (and there are numerous other threads currently on the same subject. Evernote introduced a new syn structure for notes, and older notes have to be updated when they're opened. There's really no mystery about it, nor does it reflect on Evernote's long-term usability.

So I'm completely stuck with Evernote on Windows 10 right now. There is one note in a Notebook that causes "Saving..." to appear in the bottom right and hangs the whole application. I manually upgraded to 10.58.3 but getting the same result. Closing EN doesn't help, the client just restarts in the same place, so I need to reboot the whole PC. If I can time it right, after opening EN after a restart, I can sometimes click on another note elsewhere and can carry on working. The problem note is top of the list in a Notebook I need to use but all notes in that notebook are inaccessible to me until this is resolved.

Any pointers to get around this debacle? 

Thank you @Dave-in-Decatur to explain the reason of my problem, which is that, as you write, " Evernote introduced a new syn structure for notes, and older notes have to be updated when they're opened. " 

I did read the thread before asking my question, but I cannot locate this information in the thread quoted by you...  Perhaps you wanted to quote another thread? Anyway, my questions is answered, so no pb. 

Regards,

VP 

1 hour ago, vipen said:

Thanks you very much. I installed 10.58.3, and the performance is a little better compared to 10.57.10.

I still get a lot a waiting time for accessing old notes.  It takes now 5 to 10 seconds to open a note with a few lines of text, and up to a 30sec when the note contains images. 

It feels like Evernotes is not downloading my entire notes on my hard drive, and so the software needs to access the note from the server.  I realised that my internet connetion is partly to blame as I have a mobile data 4G connection. But still, I think that Evernote should download a copy of my notes locally. I have plenty of space on my hard drive. 

Evernote screen capture 2023-06-09 160736.png

I use Windows  App but have unchecked the box regarding downloading noted to my PC as In 12 years of using EN, I have never had the need to work offline. Following the update to 10.58.3, I have noticed a measurable difference when accessing old notes most appear in one to two secs, with an occasional one taking up to 10 secs. I realise from posts on here that this is still not the case for everyone

• Level 5
On 6/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, Jean-Christophe said:

I sent my observations to support a couple of days ago, including journals and all technical informations.

They answered that the actual release, since the introduction of RTE or so, has performance issues. Engineering is in charge of solving the issue in the future releases. 

First recommandation : install any new release coming up
Second recommandation : do not uninstall/reinstall as this does not change anything.

My thoughts : disappointed at the moment, as RTE was really a nice update to help with sync, but not being able to read a note content for 2 minutes or so when I open it makes EN not usable as I need to browse notes very often.

@vipen, here it is in full. I have highlighted the relevant material, which is based on information from Evernote support.

• Like 1

For me, the new update EN 10.58.3 didn't work, worse, tasks stopped working correctly, there are still other bugs involving tasks, the most disturbing issue is that after deleting a recurring task, the task reappears.
The slowness to update notes continues.