Evernote is slow on smartphone

Hello boys and girls!
I've only been trying Evernote 10.51 (1130638) for a couple of days and I've noticed that on my smartphone it's very slow to load both the application and the notes.

What experience do you have with Evernote on your smartphone?

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10S
RAM: 6GB
CPU: Octa-core Max 2.05GHz

Edited by Cane Randagio
added evernote version
  • Evernote Expert

You don't say which version of Evernote you are using which may be relevant.

I haven't experienced any significant slowness with my OnePlus 8 with Android 13 and Evernote v10.51

However others do report problems. The release of v10.51 seems to have been welcomed as bringing improved performance.

There is a general issue with all versions of Evernote where notes are slow to open. This is connected to a change in the sync process. Each note needs to be converted for the new real time sync when it is first opened. That's does create challenges for some users.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.
Well your OnePlus I believe has a faster processor than mine, maybe 2.85GHz?

Could it be due to this? Or could it be a problem related to the WIFI or LTE connection?
Obviously also taking into account the problems you mentioned.

I've updated the original post with the Evernote version, it's 10.51

11 hours ago, agsteele said:

You don't say which version of Evernote you are using which may be relevant.

I haven't experienced any significant slowness with my OnePlus 8 with Android 13 and Evernote v10.51

However others do report problems. The release of v10.51 seems to have been welcomed as bringing improved performance.

There is a general issue with all versions of Evernote where notes are slow to open. This is connected to a change in the sync process. Each note needs to be converted for the new real time sync when it is first opened. That's does create challenges for some users.

Every and any v10 version of Evernote on both my Samung Android S22 and Samsung Android S20 is slow as a snail.

What I mean by slow?

Well, I sometimes on the desktop Windows version add 25 new notes, merge 20 and reduce those to 5 resulting notes. Add 30 tags to 15 notes. Remove 30 tags from 15 other notes. All taking about 15 minutes during some maintainance. After that, most of the time, my Android Evernote is unasable for finding those recent notes, opening them takes 3 minutes for a single note, saved searches results are out of date. It can take hours to become in sync, though sometimes only -say- 15 minutes.

I love that they are working on improvements.

Bringing my workflow up-to-date and working heavily on a few hundred notes today, those new versions on Android [v10.51.1] and Windows [v10.57.10] have not brought any noticable improvements for me. I experienced (again) the above problems for hours. But I have hope for the future. 

The "good" news, if I don't use Windows and Android Evernote for a few hours, then I can succesfully open recent notes on Android, work on them and have them saved in around 5 seconds each. If I take snapshots, same things, fast enough if I haven't used Evernote for hours. After my process/example as described, it can take minutes before a snapshot/photo is visible in a note and can be stored.

P.S. I have this trouble of slowness in my given examples, also with brand-new notes created the same day. So conversion is not the problem. Those same notes many times are also not faster when opening again the day after a second time. 

• Like 3

agree with @MvdH the performance is terrible now.  not sure I am seeing ANY IMPROVEMENT?  interesting as I have updated (especially on Mac OSx) many times since @BendedSpoon started taking #VictoryLaps on how great sync will be..........

current performance is such a #ProductivityKiller I have to use other options frequently.  

@agsteele as an expert and a guy #InTheKnow - what's the scoop and timeline to get us "back to" at least where it was before with sync????????

On 6/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, agsteele said:

All the factors you describe could contribute.

You'll have to describe the way you experience the slowness for us to be able give any advice.

For example, I find it slow when I search by keyword, and once I find the note if I tap on it to open it, it takes a few seconds before displaying it.

I read @MvdH' s comment and I'm not at his level, in the sense that I only noticed slowdowns compared to Keep, nothing serious like @MvdH''s case.

However it is annoying. These days I'm considering whether to buy a paid plan and this inconvenience will affect the decision.

20 hours ago, MvdH said:

OFF-TOPIC: That's a quote from The Salmon Dance, by the Chemical Brothers.

I've never heard of 'The Salmon Dance', it was just a greeting to not discriminate against the sexes

• Level 5
15 minutes ago, Cane Randagio said:

For example, I find it slow when I search by keyword, and once I find the note if I tap on it to open it, it takes a few seconds before displaying it.

I can't say that I've noticed any slowdowns in searching; I'm not actually sure whether a simple keyword search is done in an index on the device, or has to be forwarded to Evernote's servers to search, and the results sent back. But the note taking a few seconds to open is almost certainly a result of the necessary conversion of the old sync structure to the new one, as @agsteele said.

• Level 5*

@Dave-in-Decatur  Most everything is server based now.  I see it when helping my wife with her account.  The lag in search index update was one of the things that bothered me early on.  It has the opportunity to put a hitch in your get along  when in the midst of a group of interrelated updates.  Not much of an issue if you aren't searching or switching platforms quickly after an update.  🤷‍♂️

@ShankPossible As Evernote 10 is no native Android app but wrapped in the react framework in consumes ridiculous lot of ressource given the output you get from it. Having much RAM and a fast processor will certainly help to get EN on Android to a more usable performance (but never comparable no native apps). I noticed this with my devices. Jumping from a 4 GB RAM to 8 GB RAM device speeded things up by factor 4 or 5 I think for me. 12 GB RAM sounds like overkill 😉 But please, don't buy a new device if Evernote is the only pain you have on Android. Consider watching for native apps instead, this could be more sustainable.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi, in addition to issues already raised, I’m finding that even Clipper is slow to load in iOS , sometimes taking minutes to appear when summoned. I’ve got latest iPhone and iPad  with max memory, but issue persists. I thought syncing might help but no luck. Any ideas?

• Level 5

You can’t load a web Clipper on iOS, because it doesn’t exist on this platform. Case closed …

Clipping in iOS uses the sharing function, and syncs the content locally between the browser and the EN app. The „real“ Web Clipper is a stand alone browser extension, and syncs clipped content through the API to the server, without a need to have the app open at all. These are 2 completely different concepts for clipping. If you want the best clip result, use the Web Clipper on a desktop platform.

Thanks for the fast reply!

So does it sync to app each time I try to save? I tried opening app before I begin saving, but that did not help. 

I used the wrong name, sorry, im talking about this iPhone screen shot, this function takes forever to load in iOS, whatever its called:

image.thumb.png.8c3ea4fb780e6cc1e25a9f98e41fb189.png

• Level 5

That‘s the sharing dialogue. Sharing happens directly to the app. I doubt it is slow, it just needs to run a number of conversions to make clipped content show up in a format EN can visualize (render). 

To check on speed, you can run a small experiment: 

1st probe is this process, sharing on the iPhone, from starting the share until the new note appears.

2nd probe is opening the web client (EN in a browser window) and then measuring the time from clipping with the desktop web clipper until the clip appears in the web client. I doubt it is much faster - you just don’t feel it processing along, once you don’t see it crunching on the clip.