Serious new bugs in recent versions (as of 10.57.6): losing text, losing tasks

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I'm now on version 10.57.6-mac-ddl-public (4112) of Evernote. I've noticed in the past few updates that there have been serious bugs: text gets deleted shortly after I enter it, and entire tasks get deleted shortly after I enter them. These appear to result from a bug in the syncing code: the version on the server from several minutes ago overwrites the updates that I made a minute or two ago. There are numerous small bugs, too, like the Save button being nonresponsive when I edit a task.

These bugs mean that I cannot manage my work and tasks on Evernote. As much as I would like to continue using Evernote, these bugs ruin the application for me. Is there any info about Evernote being aware of them and fixing them with the highest priority? Or could I switch to a previous version, before these bugs were added?

Is there a recommended place to report these bugs?

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution

Just for the record - subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and all users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (or via the feedback option where it is available). 

It's always good to raise support tickets - it gives the company feedback on what isn't working,  provides direct contact with lots of users with personal experience of the issues,  and potential access to activity logs if more in depth investigation is required.  Getting involved helps get stuff fixed quicker.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, mathiassoc said:

I have exactly the same issues paired with serious sync issues. It's terrible and Evernote becomes unusable. 

If we knew your device OS / Evernote version and had slightly more detail on why your experience is "terrible" maybe someone here could suggest some work-arrounds.

Same issue here. Will type several lines of notes, then a minute later the most recent content disappears. Cmd+Z does not restore it, and it doesn't exist on other devices.

Mac Ventura 13.4 (22F66)
Evernote for Mac 10.57.10-mac-mas-public (459878)
Editor: v169.1.20965
Service: v1.68.5

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, AllenFuller said:

Same issue here.

Same response - contact Support;  the more input they get from different users,  the more chance they have to pin down the issue and fix it.

Just came here to say I am having the same issue with tasks not saving fully and/or being deleted. Also, the note history does not always capture the point at which the full task list was intact so cannot restore from that to return the missing task content. Will add a support ticket of my own, too.

Mac Ventura 13.3.1(a)

Evernote for Mac 10.57.10-mac-mas-public (459878)
Editor: v169.1.20965
Service: v1.68.5

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I updated to the latest release for Mac (10.58.5) and the issue still seemed to be happen, although it was only a small test. Having also raised a support ticket with Evernote, they looked at it and said the known issue was fixed in one of the recent updates... so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, striio said:

said the known issue was fixed in one of the recent updates

I think Support are occasionally too ready to believe their own PR - if you still have an issue I'd go right back to them and tell them that.  If you didn't already know - check your ticket progress and respond if necessary at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've the same problem w/ losing task's and written text in my notes :excl: even with a correct syncing 😡

Mac Ventura 13.4.1
Evernote for macOS: 10.58.8-mac-ddl-public (4175)
Editor: V 172.19.3
Service: V 1.69.5

On 6/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, PinkElephant said:

You can try to update to 10.58.3. It is available as direct download, probably the Mac AppStore will need a little until it shows.

First reports in the forum show an improvement, on Windows.

still having problems with v10.58.8 ️ 

Just now, NotePilot1969 said:

Over a month later and still not fixed?  Amazing.  Free apps would have fixed it by now.

YES - for shure 💪 I can't use EN - I'm loosing data and can't trust ️ 

• Level 5*

If you're losing data somehow,  please walk us through step-by-step exactly how this is happening?  Or maybe video the process next time you're trying to use the app (assuming that you still do...).  I'm a heavy user (Win 11 & EN 10.58.8) and this just isn't happening to me,  or to a lot of the other contributors here - otherwise you'd be seeing a lot more posts.  I can flag this thread so Evernote staff will take some notice,  but like most things - if Evernote don't get feedback from users,  they can't work out how and why things are (apparently) going missing.  If anyone posting here has contacted Support,  please post ticket numbers so we can make sure that they're tying the different reports together and realise that this is an issue. 

It's on the Mac!

.. and no, I can't do a Video ... because when I put some tasks in my note with a reminder date - the next time I open the note some/or all of the tasks are deletet ️ 

... and no, I do not use EN as long this bug is not fixed! otherwise my brain-dump which I want to write down is lost ️ 

EN - Task problem.jpg

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, wheiser said:

when I put some tasks in my note with a reminder date

Even that bit would allow us to see exactly what you're doing.  Have you contacted Support?  They can at least look at the server-side activity and maybe see what's going on.

I have attached a video file, which shows that after entering a note, when I go back to look at it, the input content is gone. This situation is happening now, and it is getting more and more serious. Even after entering a lot of information, all of them disappear ,  and the data cannot be recovered..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Thanks for the video.  I'd suggest you contact Support so they can take a look in more detail (we're mostly other users here) but while you wait for their response,  you could uninstall the app,  power your system off and on again,  and re-download / install the latest version from Evernote.com.

Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (but it's usually easier to use the Support option in the mobile client). 

any updates on this - it still happens with the latest version on macOS 😡 EN is now not trustful anymore️ 

10.59.5-mac-ddl-public (5236)
Editor: V 174.13.3
Service: V 1.70.3
© 2019–2023 Evernote Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

I already switched to Notion. There's no excuse for a platform as mature as Evernote to have issues like this, and to last this long. Hard to say goodbye because I've used Evernote for over a decade, but the times they are a-changing.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, AllenFuller said:

There's no excuse for a platform as mature as Evernote to have issues like this

? The app is 2 years old and 6 months into new owners.  Goodbye and good luck in your new home.

I'm having the same issues with a note I am doing a task list in the thumbnail it shows 63/90 tasks so 63 done on 90.

But only 7 with nothing inside them are showing in the note itself. I am tired to rewrite it, the point is to gain efficiency... by always rewriting it it loses it's pupose. I am seriously questioning why I pay for this.

Capture d’écran, le 2023-07-30 à 11.48.05.png

Capture d’écran, le 2023-07-30 à 11.48.40.png

Capture d’écran, le 2023-07-30 à 11.49.10.png

Same for me, new notes, when using command + N disappear, sometimes right away, sometimes days after the note was taken. 

When taking a note from a calendar appointment, it does not disappear (I don't think). 

Checked WebApp, iOS app, trash alas - notes are gone.  What a colossal #FAIL that the core business of taking and keeping a note are too much of a challenge for a paid-for service.  These notes were important, otherwise I wouldn't have taken them - and now the notes are gone - as is my accountability to those actions, the respect to the high-profile customers and execs who shared information with me once, and the time I've spent having to troubleshoot and find solutions.  

Support asked for information, which I shared.  

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, frank tr said:

Support asked for information, which I shared. 

Best advice is to contact Support and share experiences - the more information they have,  the quicker this can get fixed...

• Like 1

10.59.5 and the issues are just getting worse and worse. Now I end up with Untitled Tasks constantly, saving a task takes AGES (or it doesn't save) and getting duplicate tasks. This is nuts and am about to cancel my enterprise subscription to this tool. Reached out to support and they sent a list of unintelligible troubleshooting steps. I'm amazed at how bad this app has become. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, frank tr said:

Does anyone know if this is fixed yet or not in 10.60.4?  It would be nice to start taking notes again, in confidence, on the desktop.

Most folks seem to think 10.60 fixed things,  and it is available from the website now - has been for several days. 

Disappearing notes, "lost content"......

"Hey Frank,

Thanks for your follow-up message.

Though 10.60.4 includes numerous performance improvements, the root issue tied to this initial report of lost content and its root cause is still being investigated.

I do apologize for the ongoing need to use an alternate version of Evernote.

Thanks again,

Geoff T.
Technical Support Manager

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, frank tr said:

the root issue tied to this initial report of lost content and its root cause is still being investigated.

This was presumably your initial report.  As a matter of interest when did Geoff T send that update?

• Level 5*

FWIW, I had numerous problems with 10.59.  So bad in fact that I downgraded to 10.58.  I've been on 10.60 for a few days now and so far have been issue free.  I highly encourage this new version for those that haven't tried it yet.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, NotePilot1969 said:

You’re also one of the top 3 shills for EN and thus have historically downplayed issues. Once again you’re magically issue free while others report having issues. Comical 

Thank you, I feel unworthy!

If you actually spend any time reading my post history you will see I tend to be more critical than supportive overall.  I try to be accurate and honest in my posts.  What are you aiming for?  Did you not see that I downgraded due to problems with 10.59?  I'm sorry if you are disappointed that I haven't had trouble with 10.60.  I'll lie next time if it will give you joy.  The fact is, 10.60 fixed numerous problems that were introduced in 10.59.  It is not problem free.  I've seen some posts mentioning issues, but nothing that I've run across in my usage.  For those that had trouble with 10.59, they should certainly try 10.60.

• Like 1

As a potential also possibly-considered-shill, I must say that I always find @s2sailor's comments pretty even-keeled, but let's take a peek at some of that post history within the last two weeks:

• FWIW, I had numerous problems with 10.59. So bad in fact that I downgraded to 10.58.
  • I would also suggest that Evernote can't be held up as an example of company success.
  • Poor communication wasn't Evernote's only problem, but it was certainly a contributor.
  • I’ve been a user since 2007 so this obviously isn’t holding me back but it is an irritant that I hope the team sees fit to rectify some day.
  • There are work arounds, but personally I find them all cumbersome. The V10 editor is already a clickfest. IMO they can remove some of the friction and improve the function of the editor by adding this and collapsible sections.
  • [criticizing the lack of thumbnail control]... Maybe the best way to show the need is with a few examples. I have hundreds like this.
  • [criticizing price increases]... Unfortunately, they did forget.  My cost increase notification just came in ...
  • I've also experienced the additional copies bug when using the import folder and the "open with" option in the menu.
  • [on 10.59.5 issues] Welcome to the club.
  • [Evernote] need to improve their communication. For a supposedly successful, experienced and responsible company, they have really stumbled out of the gate.  They haven’t earned my trust yet.

Dang @s2sailor, you really need to step up your shilling game -- I don't think you are doing it right.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Last two weeks? Wow you really scratched the surface there didn’t ya. 
By all means proceed with the circle jerking.  

Wow - what worthful comment..

How do you manage your trolling sessions? Have you set a daily reminder to come by here an leave some sh... or ist it just an impulse you can't control?? If I look in your comment-timeline it looks like a kind of tourette-collection without any helpful content.

If I'm not wrong you have made your decision an left EN some time ago? So why do you spend your time here and bother us?

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

know it’s probably shocking to hear that a forum feature actually works reliably with you being an EN loyalist and all.  

Actually it's not - the Forums are third-party software hence "Powered by Invision Community" at the bottom of each page.  And wouldn't an "EN loyalist" expect a forum feature to work,  whether powered by Evernote or not?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

It’s called old threads with follow topic set long ago.

and yet even today you are still signing up for new threads to troll.  According to your post history, you left Evernote back in January, and months later you are still here repeating the same message.  I'm not sure if I should feel impressed by your persistence, or sad.  A little of both I think.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, samlk said:

I'm still having this problem. the text in my tasks dissappears. It isn't always possible to recover the text fully as it doesn't seem to save very often. I'm on 10.60.4

Sorry you’re dealing with this issue too. It’s still not fixed… three months of this issue is an eternity for a product whose core capability is notes and tasks.  They must not be faring well as an organization. This should be an urgent high priority outage, we should have an announcement from the CEO, and it should have been fixed in 2 hours if they were a real software company. 

• Level 5*
On 8/23/2023 at 1:34 PM, frank tr said:

it should have been fixed in 2 hours

A bit hard until someone reports an issue to them,  and it would be given more priority the more reports came in.

Best advice for anyone still with these issues is to contact Support - at the least you'll get a direct answer and some certainty as to whether and when things might get fixed.