How do I stop the message "Let's update your app. A new version of Evernote is available. Update to New Windows Client (398256)"

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I am getting this message more and more frequently!

I will not use the new Windows App, features that I still use constantly have been removed in v. 10.

So, until I find a replacement for Evernote (converting my GB's of notes into another app has been a major issue when I have tried),  I will continue to use the Legacy Edition.

How do I stop this message from appearing?

Thanks very much,

John

• Like 1
Just now, johnm243 said:

@Federico Simionato

I will not use the new Windows App, features that I still use constantly were removed in v. 10.

Back during the beta (2020!), I (and many others!) complained about missing features. Our requests for the features we used in what became Legacy were ignored!

This is my post "Evernote Beta 2 Issues - First Look" from September 5, 2020:

1. Outlook Integration was not installed
2 We used to be able to control the interface. I added controls I used all the time in the Toolbar at the top: I have New Note | Activity | All Notes (I used this multiple times every day) | Sync
3. We don't need New Note & Search in the shortcuts panel. In the old one, having Search at the top of the snippets list is much better. New Note can go in the toolbar like in the old Evernote.
4. More wasted space with Account Name on the left
5. The old list of shortcuts (I have many) was much tighter than the new list.
6. We should be able to reindex Evernote
7. We used to be able to control the defaults in Tools > Options.  My default font changed and I don't like the new one
8. New notes get added to the last notebook used; I used to have a default notebook for new notes
9. New titles don't go in automatically
10. Click a link, it opens up the URL instead of going directly to it
11. Moving a note is a pain
12. When is sync happening
13. I turned off automatic numbered lists in the old Evernote, how do I do that in the new Evernote?
14. Evernote isn't in the dictionary (underlined in red as if misspelled)

How many of those issues have been resolved in the most recent version of v. 10?

Personally, I have been looking for a replacement for Evernote for quite some time. Unfortunately, as my total note size is well over 2GB, converting my notes into potential replacements has been a major issue. So I keep on renewing my Evernote subscription!

Until I find a replacement for Evernote, I will continue to use the Legacy Edition. Of course, if all of the issues I brought up above have been (or will be) fixed, I will stay with Evernote ... and start to use v. 10!

Meanwhile, is there anyway to stop the message "Let's update your app. A new version of Evernote is available. Update to New Windows Client (398256)..." from appearing?

Thanks very much,

John

37 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Take a look at this post from Evernote's product head, and at other posts in this thread, to get a sense of why they're doing that (and why they're not stopping):

Thanks Dave. You can see my reply above!

John

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, johnm243 said:

I am getting this message more and more frequently!

I will not use the new Windows App, features that I still use constantly have been removed in v. 10.

So, until I find a replacement for Evernote (converting my GB's of notes into another app has been a major issue when I have tried),  I will continue to use the Legacy Edition.

How do I stop this message from appearing?

Thanks very much,

John

They have made it clear they want the user base on v10.  Legacy is not supported.  If you don't like v10, that's fine but I would highly suggest you work on a plan B.  Legacy is likely short lived.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, johnm243 said:

I fully agree with your decision, it’s basically up to you to decide which software you employ.

But: You picked a cloud based software that needs to synchronize with a server. You did this out of your free will. The software that you declare to continue to use is since 30 months now deprecated. This does not only mean there is no support any longer for the client. It means as well that any changes at the servers will not be reflected in your software any more.

You can already see this since quite a while - if you ever used v10, in some cases legacy tells it can’t show an object inside of a note, because it is not supported in this version. This was the writing on the wall. Now it is not about objects inside of the note that are unsupported. Now with the new syncing the notes themselves have a format that is no longer supported by legacy. This is no more writing on the wall, it is a neon sign.

You will not use legacy UNTIL you find a replacement. That’s the wrong logic - you can’t be sure legacy will be around UNTIL you are ready to move. You better find yourself a replacement - NOW ! Or as least soon. Or it will probably be no longer up to yourself what you do, and when.

From the factual side it is very easy to prove that the best alternative to legacy is v10. There is no alternative even close to the mutually shared features of the both versions. If you are unwilling to use it, you have several challenges: Picking the right alternative, learning your ways around it, move your content with minimal friction and loss of data. Don’t loose time if you want to approach down this rabbit hole.

Disclaimer: My own conclusions, drawn from what I see and hear - no inside knowledge.

• Like 1

If, at some point, I have to use v. 10 until I find a replacement for Evernote, I will do that. Until that point comes (ie they delete Legacy from my computers), I'll keep on using Legacy! (I have never used v. 10 except to test it to see if it's worth switching over so never have seen the problems @PinkElephant mentions...

@PinkElephant is correct: finding an acceptable alternative is a pain. I have tried a couple that didn't work as well as Legacy so abandoned them. Notion is the best of the bunch ... but I have too many notes in Evernote to convert them efficiently. Notion support says a fix is on their development plan ... but no date has been announced!

Best,

John

• Level 5*

I’ve yet to find the perfect software for me.  Each one either isn’t a good fit or irritates me in some way.  I was very close to jumping ship after V10 was available so ran Legacy in parallel for quite a while.  V10 improved enough that eventually it became good enough and was the best option for me.  I had to alter my use case some and put up with some irritating UI design choices, but I would have had to do that anyway if I moved to another app.  If you haven’t given V10 a good test drive recently.  I suggest you do.  It has improved noticeably.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 5/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

Now it is not about objects inside of the note that are unsupported. Now with the new syncing the notes themselves have a format that is no longer supported by legacy. This is no more writing on the wall, it is a neon sign.

Can you say any more about this? I have edited (maybe even created) notes since my account was provisioned with the new sync structure, and they are perfectly readable and editable in v. 6. There is just no real-time editing in v. 6, so that it would be very unwise to be working in a note there and also in the Web or mobile client at the same time. But I'm not seeing notes become inaccessible in v. 6.

18 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I’ve yet to find the perfect software for me.  Each one either isn’t a good fit or irritates me in some way.  I was very close to jumping ship after V10 was available so ran Legacy in parallel for quite a while.  V10 improved enough that eventually it became good enough and was the best option for me.  I had to alter my use case some and put up with some irritating UI design choices, but I would have had to do that anyway if I moved to another app.  If you haven’t given V10 a good test drive recently.  I suggest you do.  It has improved noticeably.

Yeah @s2sailor, that's the same I've found. And the ones that have most of the features I want (especially Notion) cannot import my over 2 GB of notes in Evernote!

As I noted elsewhere

1. In Legacy, I use the customizable toolbar every day!
2. I detest the 6 fonts that are available with Evernote 10. Every other app I have allows me to change the default font, why can't Evernote?
3. I cannot turn off auto-formatting of bullets and numbered lists in Settings. Why not?
4. I just looked and didn't see any way to connect up Evernote to Outlook. I use that at least 2 times every week!)

I find those 4 to be the most frustrating! If they were added to Evernote 10, I would gladly continue with Evernote.

I'll add testing v. 10 to my list of summer projects. But I find using Evernote w/o the features I use every day incredibly frustrating. And I really don't like paying for something I find frustrating!

John

• Evernote Expert

There is no means of stopping the pop-up other than to move to version 10 which I presume you do not wish to do.

Evernote is actively encouraging users to move to v10 and the so-called legacy software has months of life left rather than years.

I understand that the pop-ups are currently being delivered to Windows Legacy users. Mac users are due to see the same thing any day now. I anticipate that the pop-ups will stop after a period but I've no idea whether that will be a short or longer time.

If, for whatever reason, you do not wish to move to the v10 apps then you should probably take these pop-ups as a nudge to make a plan to transition to an alternative platform while there is time to do so at a pace or your choosing.

• Level 5
On 5/8/2023 at 12:31 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Can you say any more about this? I have edited (maybe even created) notes since my account was provisioned with the new sync structure, and they are perfectly readable and editable in v. 6. There is just no real-time editing in v. 6, so that it would be very unwise to be working in a note there and also in the Web or mobile client at the same time. But I'm not seeing notes become inaccessible in v. 6.

My interpretation is this, without inside knowledge: Currently EN is running on 2 databases. Whenever active, RTE takes the lead. The classical database is derived from there. If a tool is used that is not supporting RTE structured content, it ignores the new data, and runs on the existing database.

This will be all legacy clients, maybe the API and some more (search index ?). Since it means duplication of all notes, I doubt this will go on forever. Once it stops, all Software not supporting RTE will be left in the cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like this is a solution to ending the upgrade nags. Not sure why it's stated as such.

Reason for avoiding any upgrades from Evernote is due to some quality issues from last upgrade. Very poor UI/feature changes took its toll in lost efficiencies. Though I was able to download a legacy version that's working very well.

Haven't seen any good reasons for going for an upgrade. What I'm reading however are some vague security fixes. Please post exact changes (i.e. update notes).

• Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, GarySam said:

Doesn't look like this is a solution to ending the upgrade nags. Not sure why it's stated as such.

Reason for avoiding any upgrades from Evernote is due to some quality issues from last upgrade. Very poor UI/feature changes took its toll in lost efficiencies. Though I was able to download a legacy version that's working very well.

Haven't seen any good reasons for going for an upgrade. What I'm reading however are some vague security fixes. Please post exact changes (i.e. update notes).

I refer to my answer a couple of contributions earlier. The Legacy applications are on borrowed time.  Evernote is now in a phase of actively encouraging Legacy users to upgrade. The writing is on the wall for Legacy.  So if you wish to use Evernote beyond the next few months then you should make a plan to upgrade. Otherwise, make a plan to transition.

The friction moving to any new aplication will be similar so choose the service that best suits your needs and start the switch sooner rather than later.

If you'd like to know the differences then I'd suggest you ask your favourite search engine.  I found a couple of pages with information.

4 hours ago, GarySam said:

Marking "Solved" to posts is done by the poster -- so it was solved to them.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:14 AM, agsteele said:

So if you wish to use Evernote beyond the next few months then you should make a plan to upgrade. Otherwise, make a plan to transition.

The friction moving to any new aplication will be similar so choose the service that best suits your needs and start the switch sooner rather than later.

Any recommended solutions if leaning towards a different (better?) platform?
I remember reading something about Evernote's CEO taking this product direction. Alienating a noted number of users from the main product release stream.

None of these features map to user's productivity (from my perspective)
From update request 398256 (pop-up window/annoyance)

"Some things to look forward to in the new clients: cloud support for all your data, new and improved sync capabilities, real-time collaborative editing, (upcoming) AI powered features and much more!"

Noting that I have no interest in these "features" - they don't help. These capabilities are otherwise very well supported in pure-play solutions. Meaning, why marshal these features in Evernote that's otherwise working very well currently.

I am using many "expired" software packages and machines which the manufacturers have decided not to support.  For example, I still use Quickbooks 2009 and Quicken which are extremely stable, not cloud based, can be used on any number of computers and works 100% perfectly for my needs.  I still use win 7 on many of my machines (which do not contain any sensitive data) and it works perfectly.  I actually have win 10 on other machines and don't like.  I use Adobe Acrobat X on multiple computers and like it way more than their recent predatory versions.  Also, I can use it on multiple machines for free.  Lastly, I have a lot of medical based equipment that works great even though the manufacturers tell me that they have "sunsetted" .  These analogies may not apply to EN Legacy because I can continue to use older technology as long as they can't be deprecated to the point where they no longer work.  After all, Microsoft, Adobe, Intuit can not physically do anything about the equipment or software that I continue to use.  Legacy, on the other hand, depends on active sync structure which, if deprecated, will put an immediate halt to its functionality.  And now, v10 is telling me that it will not update anymore on Win 7 machines.  Therefore, I have had to purchase some win 10 machines and am now using v10 on those.  I think that v10 is perfectly fine for most things and is much better than outside solutions.  However, as I have stated before I simply can not understand how EN users who are highly dependent on pdf manipulations will get along with v10.  I have had discussions with EN tech support and, for now, there is no way to "save attachments" as Legacy does which allows us to instantly place unlimited number of files into directories so that we can have Acrobat merge them etc.  The new v10 exports notes to my PC's directories in a strange packaged structure in which the actual pdf is sitting inside the package and is not recognizable by Adobe or even by any other software.  If you are not dependent on a workflow which heavily uses PDFs and manipulates them, I cannot see any major downside to v10.  Every other objection is just minor niggling which can be tolerated or avoided in other ways.  

52 minutes ago, GarySam said:

Noting that I have no interest in these "features" - they don't help. These capabilities are otherwise very well supported in pure-play solutions. Meaning, why marshal these features in Evernote that's otherwise working very well currently.

Just updated.
Immediate observation regarding a productivity tax with this upgrade.

1) lost my "favorites" in toolbar. Still having trouble getting back my toolbar (looks like it's gone)
2) what was once a one-click tag search (from toolbar) is now a

a) 3-key combo (alt+ctrl+f), which is impossible with one hand!!!  (though looks like I can change this)

b) followed by a click to filter icon

c) followed by a click in tags

----- optional

a) type search in search field and watch for tags showing in results

Overall, not a delightful upgrade experience.
And, Evernote's help system lacks answers for basic windows user questions (such as "task bar", etc.)

• Level 5

Going from v. 6 to v. 10 in one jump is quite a departure. In the early days of v. 10, when it still lacked a lot of features, I kept using v. 6. At some point I started using the v. 10 Web client, which slowly introduced me to the new interface and helped me understand how to use it. Eventually, v. 10 became robust enough and I had learned its routines well enough, that I switched over to using it almost exclusively.

All of which is to say that what looks like a "productivity tax" is a serious learning curve, and the need to modify or abandon long-ingrained work habits and adopt some new ones. None of us was born using Evernote Legacy. We all had to learn new work habits as we adapted to it. And now the same process has to be done again. But I don't think Evernote has done itself or its users any favors by this campaign of "updating" from Legacy to v. 10, which has caught many users by surprise when they find themselves in the world of v. 10.

In an earlier post, @GarySam said, "None of these features map to user's productivity (from my perspective)." But that "from my perspective" is key: Evernote is so versatile that "user's productivity" simply can't be categorized into any one perspective. I'm finding myself increasingly productive with v. 10, but it didn't happen overnight. Having to change processes and habits, if a tool has become essential, is a pain and a drain. But there is no standard "user" of Evernote whom the company is somehow disdaining. It's more like a field of users that is morphing, expanding in some areas and contracting in others, and in many areas keeping on and becoming accustomed. My 5.86 cents (adjusted for inflation).

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

When I made the switch to v10 I decided to go cold turkey. I forced myself to change and adopt new ways of doing stuff. It took me about 10 days to realise that I couldn't always remember how I did things in the old software. YMMV.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.

And, it's not all bad (the experience)
for example, I'm able to zoom in (increase font) for the entire evernote UI - thank you.

P.S. Noted that there's no efficiency guide for upgrading users. But, there are some helpful hints in the documents (otherwise).

• Like 1