Notes do not load when tapped, only spinning progress indicator shows

If I quit the app and then come back later, the last clicked note will load (sometimes) but any edits to it will not sync.

Restarted phone, deleted/reinstalled the app, etc...still broken

App is broken almost 100% for the past day and a half. Almost at the point of seeking a pro-rated refund.

08F5F716-726B-4B66-8655-6BFC1E756172.png

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

Any ideas? Totally screwed by this update. Dead in the water.

The problem does not seem to be widespread, and since we are only other users here, it's difficult for us to suggest anything beyond the steps you've already taken. Evernote tech support is at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. That is for paid subscribers; they do also have a Twitter account.

23 hours ago, agsteele said:

Is there explanation here any help? There are a couple of hints which might be relevant...

I appreciate you trying to help. I keep noticing the same suggestions for troubleshooting:

1. Update your app

2. Delete app and reinstall

3. Restart your device

etc...

And everyone is batting around reports of their various mileage with these obvious interventions. Our only hope is that the engineers are reading these threads because we are severely limited in our ability to troubleshoot and our culpability for these issues.

Here I am deprived of an essential tool for my work simply because some engineer got the idea that everyone wanted real-time editing...make it optional for gods sake so that ppl aren’t screwed by it

• Evernote Expert

There were a couple of explanations, unusually from Evernote staff, to explain what might be happening, indicating that they are aware and working to address things. If that isn't helpful then I'm sure you'll be looking for an alternative application. 

I doubt that there is any going back on RTE. So we wait for a fix or move on.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:03 PM, Mister Deeds said:

Iphone X

It's a 6 year old phone with 3GB of RAM. I don't know if that has anything to do with it? Perhaps the Apple fans on this forum can tell you more about this?

Do you also have problems with the evernote desktop client or web client?

• Level 5

Just tried, and can’t reproduce the problem.

Here a list of options (extended version, iOS):

- Close and restart the client

- Log out of your account, close the client.  Open it again and log in.

- The same, but in between restart the iPhone/iPad 

- Uninstall the app, when asked dump all data, then make a forced restart. 
https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

4 hours ago, eric99 said:

It's a 6 year old phone with 3GB of RAM. I don't know if that has anything to do with it? Perhaps the Apple fans on this forum can tell you more about this?

Do you also have problems with the evernote desktop client or web client?

If they deprecated my device than I expected that they’d at least tell me. I’d be mad but not as mad as I am now being left completely in the dark.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just tried, and can’t reproduce the problem.

Here a list of options (extended version, iOS):

- Close and restart the client

- Log out of your account, close the client.  Open it again and log in.

- The same, but in between restart the iPhone/iPad 

- Uninstall the app, when asked dump all data, then make a forced restart. 
https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

What do you mean you tried? What did you do to reproduce the problem?

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

There's We're a couple of explanations, unusually from Evernote staff to explain what might be happening, indicating that they are aware and working to address things. If that isn't helpful then I'm sure you'll be looking for an alternative application. 

I doubt that there is any going back on RTE. So we wait for a fix or move on.

I definitely am looking for a different application but that’s an absolutely dreadful proposition. 6500 notes, meta data rich, many of them internally hyperlinked to multiple other notes...it’s an atomic bomb they’re dropping on me

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

it’s an atomic bomb they’re dropping on me

?

7 hours ago, agsteele said:

So we wait for a fix or move on.

You should be able to leave your notes in a free account - subject to the restrictions on Devices - and use that as an Archive if you decide to make new notes elsewhere.  That was always my plan - to convert notes from Evernote to another system only if a really had to...

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

?

You should be able to leave your notes in a free account - subject to the restrictions on Devices - and use that as an Archive if you decide to make new notes elsewhere.  That was always my plan - to convert notes from Evernote to another system only if a really had to...

My workflow (my job) is built around at least being able to access my notes on mobile. So yeah, I’m dealing with a large bomb being dropped on my livelihood.

Sure, at this point I’m at least convinced that my notes haven’t disappeared. Small consolation. I need to do work.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

What do you mean you tried? What did you do to reproduce the problem?

Simple: I open EN iOS on any available device. This means going back to an iPad Air 2 (2014) and an iPhone 6S+ (2015), and more recent hardware, up to an iPhone 14. EN v10 works on all of them. This means I can’t reproduce the problem. Can’t throw it against the wall to stop it working …

On the 6S+ I still had EN iOS 10.41 - it is a backup phone, so I don‘t use it frequently. I intentionally tried first to make some changes with this old version, waited them to sync, then updated to EN iOS 10.50. No issue, changes with 10.41 synced to the server, and syncing continued to work with 10.50. Notes can be opened and edited, new notes created.

I mentioned some options in my post above. Did you try, one after the other ? Especially if everything else failed the proper forced restart is important.

Which iOS version are you running ? Which version of EN v10 ?

• Like 1

I’m on iOS 13.6.1

Evernote version 10.50.4

I’ve tried all the fixes on my end. After all, the program broke precisely when they launched Instant update or whatever so the odds that there’s anything I can do on my end to fix it are minuscule.

THEY NEED TO FIX THIS

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

I’m on iOS 13.6.1

Evernote version 10.50.4

I’ve tried all the fixes on my end. After all, the program broke precisely when they launched Instant update or whatever so the odds that there’s anything I can do on my end to fix it are minuscule.

THEY NEED TO FIX THIS

You mentioned last week that you'd been in touch with support. I presume no joy from them? This is really outside the norm, unfortunately, which makes it hard for your fellow users here to go beyond what's already been suggested. So you're right, EN needs to come up with a fix. You mentioned that you're on an older iPhone. I don't know whether you have any opportunity to try it on a more recent device to see if it's better?

19 hours ago, agsteele said:

Have you told them? Sounds like you should open a support ticket.

TRUST ME I HAVE...getting WEAAAAK replies like every 3 days...they’ve acknowledged that there’s an issue but they’re not giving me any time frame for addressing it...

12 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

You mentioned last week that you'd been in touch with support. I presume no joy from them? This is really outside the norm, unfortunately, which makes it hard for your fellow users here to go beyond what's already been suggested. So you're right, EN needs to come up with a fix. You mentioned that you're on an older iPhone. I don't know whether you have any opportunity to try it on a more recent device to see if it's better?

I’m sure it’d be better on a more recent device...but they still let me download it on this one...they probably SHOULDN’T have. Pushing updates onto devices that can’t use them and just break things is not very nice at all

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

I’m on iOS 13.6.1

Evernote version 10.50.4

THEY NEED TO FIX THIS

Who needs to fix something is probably yourself: iOS 13.6.1 is ages old. No matter which device - those that run iOS 13 could update to at least iOS 15.7.5. We run it on some older i-devices together with EN 10.50, slow but usable.

i'm on ventura os 13.2

evernote version

10.56.9-mac-ddl-public (4080)
Editor: v168.1.20898
Service: v1.68.4
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

some notes take a minute or more to open - just showing blank - with 'saving' in the bottom right.

while i LOVE that background sync is FINALLY back - its clearly not down right .. waiting this long to see a note (and thinking all that time it really IS blank and / or corrupt - since the tiny saving print is not readily obvious) is unacceptable.  I tested by viewing the note several minutes.. going to another note in same notebook.. then BACK to original.. and yet again .. (no changes on that note).. its stuck 'saving' and i'm waiting to view. 

2nd update -- issue persists ALSO on windows 10 -- evernote version

10.55.2-win-ddl-public (4019)
Editor: v167.2.20810
Service: v1.67.2

issue seems directly correlated to the update of background saving / syncing..

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ciara_belle said:

issue seems directly correlated to the update of background saving / syncing..

Contact Support if you can - if this is related to updates they will be collecting information on what is going on.

Meantime provided you have no unsynced / offline notes,  uninstall,  untick 'save data on my device',  power it off and on again / reinstall latest app from Evernote.com.  Evernote will rebuild what it needs to,  but may take a while to set up again.

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Contact Support if you can - if this is related to updates they will be collecting information on what is going on.

Meantime provided you have no unsynced / offline notes,  uninstall,  untick 'save data on my device',  power it off and on again / reinstall latest app from Evernote.com.  Evernote will rebuild what it needs to,  but may take a while to set up again.

Might be just me but I find it infuriating that ppl assume that with such a frustrating and debilitating loss of functionality we’re dealing with we haven’t tried the most basic troubleshooting steps...

I know you’re just trying to help, it’s just that I see these same steps posted in literally every troubleshooting thread. It seems insane to me that anyone would be at the point of writing a whole paragraph on their serious troubles without first reading a few...sorry if meta 😞

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

It seems insane to me that anyone would be at the point of writing a whole paragraph on their serious troubles without first reading a few

We're not mind readers here (I keep my ESP turned off for security reasons) and most 'technical' problems can solved by switching stuff off and switching it on again. 

If you don't specify your device, OS and Evernlote version,  plus listing all the steps you have already tried to fix an issue up front,  we're going to start at the base level and work up from there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
14 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

It seems insane to me that anyone would be at the point of writing a whole paragraph on their serious troubles without first reading a few...sorry if meta 😞

Insane or not, I'm afraid it happens all the time 'round here. Can't count the number of times someone has reported/complained about something that is discussed one or two posts higher in the same thread.

• Like 1

Yes i've "powered it off an on" again.. besides if its showing on 2 platforms its not that

update - got an update... issue still remains - at least on mac ox ventura 13.2

evernote v

10.57.5-mac-ddl-public (4090)
Editor: v169.1.20965
Service: v1.68.4

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ciara_belle said:

update - got an update... issue still remains - at least on mac ox ventura 13.2

If you're a subscriber I'd suggest contacting Support;  if not there are other Mac users around here who might have sone suggestions...

On 5/23/2023 at 5:51 PM, gazumped said:

If you're a subscriber I'd suggest contacting Support;  if not there are other Mac users around here who might have sone suggestions...

its present on both my mac AND my pc. 

• Level 5
On 5/18/2023 at 8:46 AM, ciara_belle said:

some notes take a minute or more to open - just showing blank - with 'saving' in the bottom right.

while i LOVE that background sync is FINALLY back - its clearly not down right .. waiting this long to see a note (and thinking all that time it really IS blank and / or corrupt - since the tiny saving print is not readily obvious) is unacceptable.  I tested by viewing the note several minutes.. going to another note in same notebook.. then BACK to original.. and yet again .. (no changes on that note).. its stuck 'saving' and i'm waiting to view. 

2nd update -- issue persists ALSO on windows 10 -- evernote version

Back to this ... there are other threads lately concerned with slow opening of notes. This can be partially due to notes needing to be converted (once only) to the new sync structure when they are opened. It shouldn't take minutes for every note though. I've seen seemingly blank notes in the Web and mobile clients which were simply taking a long time to load, but they did load; I don't recall seeing it on my Windows desktop app. The new structure seems to be straining resources to do this conversion, both on Evernote's servers and sometimes on our devices. You can submit a support ticket here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I don’t doubt you’re having trouble loading notes but for me they don’t load AT ALL. I definitely submitted a ticket which is, I guess you could say, “ongoing”. I ask him what the deal is, he says he doesn’t know but that it’s getting fixed with no ETA. There have been 3 updates to the app since that ticket started and none of them have done anything to address the issue.

I feel like I’m getting strung along and gaslit by the support agent. Much more like a PR person than support of any kind.

I want details. This vague “oh, I assure you they’re working on it” loses its meaning after a month. Details. What are they working on? I need to at least know that this is a difficult problem for them if they expect so much patience out of me.

Maybe it’s obvious to you but I’ll just say I have my suspicions that they’re not doing anything - just catering to the majority of users who don’t complain or notice the issue - while just swimming in their inflated subscription fees. In which case, cut me off from this hopium!

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Mister Deeds said:

Yeah, I don’t doubt you’re having trouble loading notes but for me they don’t load AT ALL. I definitely submitted a ticket which is, I guess you could say, “ongoing”. I ask him what the deal is, he says he doesn’t know but that it’s getting fixed with no ETA. There have been 3 updates to the app since that ticket started and none of them have done anything to address the issue.

I feel like I’m getting strung along and gaslit by the support agent. Much more like a PR person than support of any kind.

I want details. This vague “oh, I assure you they’re working on it” loses its meaning after a month. Details. What are they working on? I need to at least know that this is a difficult problem for them if they expect so much patience out of me.

Maybe it’s obvious to you but I’ll just say I have my suspicions that they’re not doing anything - just catering to the majority of users who don’t complain or notice the issue - while just swimming in their inflated subscription fees. In which case, cut me off from this hopium!

Very few users "notice the issue" of notes that "don't load at all," because very few people are experiencing that. As you say, everyone's getting slow opening, but your specific case is unusual. They should communicate better, but I doubt that it's malicious. Have the escalated it beyond the basic intake level? If not, that would be worth pounding on the door about.

10 hours ago, agsteele said:

DO you have the new release from today? 10.58.3

This may assist...

Well, it looks like they’ve got me on a different version track than you because the AppStore lists my version as 10.51.1 and says it’s the latest

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very few users "notice the issue" of notes that "don't load at all," because very few people are experiencing that. As you say, everyone's getting slow opening, but your specific case is unusual. They should communicate better, but I doubt that it's malicious. Have the escalated it beyond the basic intake level? If not, that would be worth pounding on the door about.

You say it like it’s just normal that I’d have to “pound on the door” to escalate my ticket beyond basic intake. That’s terrible procedure. It’s up to them to put my ticket where it belongs.

• Level 5
52 minutes ago, Mister Deeds said:

… because the AppStore lists my version as 10.51.1 and says it’s the latest

10.51.1 is the latest version on mobile, iOS and Android.

10.58.3 is the latest version for desktop and web - although it may be the AppStore version needs a little time to follow.

• Level 5
14 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

You say it like it’s just normal that I’d have to “pound on the door” to escalate my ticket beyond basic intake. That’s terrible procedure. It’s up to them to put my ticket where it belongs.

They're swamped, they're prioritizing, squeaky wheel gets the grease ... not a unique situation in our times, or in human history. Just my perspective; but if it were happening to me I might feel differently.

• Level 5*

-But if you're reminding them,  please just use the ticket number you already have,  and don't spam the support person with frequent requests for updates - I used to be a support person,  and I can say from experience that the one thing a busy team don't need is one entitled user raising new tickets on the same subject and flooding them  with reminders every day.  That just makes it 100 times harder for the team to concentrate on fixing issues when they're mainly doing admin on one ticket.

Plus - please be nice to Support;  they're people too and (IME) frequently underpaid for what they do!

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mister Deeds said:

Another update and STILL no fix!!! Unbelievable. What are these guys even doing???

Have you updated to 10.58.8 now?  If you can quote your ticket number here we should be able to flag it for an Admin to take a look for you...