Copy and Paste don't work Windows 10.38.3

Just got the latest Windows version 10.38.3 

Copy and paste isn't working.   Also not working on the web version. I've used ctrl-c and ctrl-p as well as the right click dropdowns.

They do work on ipad.  

Any ideas how to fix it?

Same problem with Copy and Paste with Clarification..... using EN 10.8.3 ...and up to date WIN 10 .... Yes I can copy and paste into EN pictures /files and text... I can copy from EN text and put in an email or doc.. What I can't do any longer  which has become infuriating is to copy from EN any pictures or files . Only option is to download / save to computer first ..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erctolling said:

What I can't do any longer  which has become infuriating is to copy from EN any pictures or files .

Have you ever been able to do this on V10? I share your frustration that something that is so fundamental to the way that Windows (and all other OSs) is supposed to work still doesn't work in EN.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Mike P said:

something that is so fundamental to the way that Windows (and all other OSs) is supposed to work still doesn't work in EN.

It appears that it is not working for you. If you check the earlier comments in this thread it seems to be working for everyone else.

Try powering your device off and back on again,  and if the issue continues,  please send a screen shot of a note where copy/ paste is not working.

(You could set up a test note with random pictures and text if necessary...)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If you check the earlier comments in this thread it seems to be working for everyone else.

I disagree. It is unclear in those posts, including your own, as to whether you are talking about pasting an image into EN or out of EN. The OP later admits a lack of clarity in the original post.

@gazumpedPlease clarify that you can take an image that is in an EN note and by either right clicking and choosing copy or by dragging and dropping you can put that image into another Windows document (e.g a word document). 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Mike P said:

an image that is in an EN note

It depends,  as they say,  on the image.  A JPG/ PNG that I added to the note in the first place seems not to be a problem. Most HTML-based notes - emails/ web clips etc- vary depending on how the images are included*.  A random email I just tried allowed me to drag-n-drop an image to my desktop,  then to an outbound email.

That's why I asked for a sample note - "copying and pasting" gets complicated if you're going from HTML via Windows Clipboard to something else...

*This cutie came to me via Crucial and was dragged from email - desktop - Forum
1654880179908.thumb.jpg.93d8a85416bb3858d17a2d6d1c341d65.jpg

47 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It depends,  as they say,  on the image.

Hardly a massive endorsement for "it's working for everybody else".

48 minutes ago, gazumped said:

A random email I just tried allowed me to drag-n-drop an image to my desktop,  then to an outbound email.

I agree that this method has worked for some time. It's still a massive workaround for the simple copy and paste that the OP wants to see. I expect that:

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

you can take an image that is in an EN note and by either right clicking and choosing copy or by dragging and dropping you can put that image into another Windows document (e.g a word document). 

Why is the right click and copy option even there if it doesn't work?

• Level 5

I find that, if I select an image in Evernote, right-click, and choose copy, it seems to block the clipboard altogether: not only does nothing show up in the primitive clipboard manager in Windows 10 (as expected), but also the clipboard indicator in another app also shows nothing to paste, whereas if I copy an image from elsewhere, the destination app does show something on the clipboard. Definitely still broken, or at least bent badly enough to need the workaround of saving to desktop and pasting from there.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Have you ever been able to do this on V10? I share your frustration that something that is so fundamental to the way that Windows (and all other OSs) is supposed to work still doesn't work in EN.

Honestly I cant say I have been... I refused to upgrade to 10 bc it lacked the functionality of the version 6 for the past year ... Like Centering a picture or diagram as i can with text... I just recently upgraded my pcs and have discovered these nagging issues still exist but I was not expecting not being able to cut and paste beyond text straight out of EN unless I save them first to desktop . I did try the drag and drop to desktop which seems to work but like Mike said below why do I have to do a complete reach around for what should be a simple mouse click 

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I agree that this method has worked for some time. It's still a massive workaround for the simple copy and paste that the OP wants to see. I expect that:

5 hours ago, Mike P said:

Honestly I cant say I have been... I refused to upgrade to 10 bc it lacked the functionality of the version 6 for the past year ... Like Centering a picture or diagram as i can with text... I just recently upgraded my pcs and have discovered these nagging issues still exist but I was not expecting not being able to cut and paste beyond text straight out of EN unless I save them first to desktop . I did try the drag and drop to desktop which seems to work but like Mike said below why do I have to do a complete reach around for what should be a simple mouse click 

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

• Level 5

Maybe we should leave „the other OSes“ out of this thread.

The only other desktop OS currently supported is MacOS, and I feel pretty confident things are working there. I have not tried every detail described here - but I don’t remember restrictions in copy & paste on the Mac. There had been that drag&drop issue initially (where dropping on the desktop was required to make it work), but this was fixed several releases ago.

It used to be the problem on the Mac as well that every content in EN is wrapped into a „container“. From my observation the problem was on copying that the container was taken for the content, and the real content was dropped.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe we should leave „the other OSes“ out of this thread.

My comment about other OSs was about the expectation of how an OS should work not whether it does.

If it does now work on Mac then that is even more frustrating for us Windows users. What happened to all that discussion about a common code base and the same experience for everybody whatever operating system they are on?

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

There were one of two releases where Copy & Paste worked as one would expect/hope before it broke again for Windows. That left me perplexed as to why it could not be fixed again. Presumably it is too complex or other things are considered more urgent. 

Thankfully it isn't troublesome for me. Clearly I don't extract much content by copy and paste 🤪

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 6/11/2022 at 2:09 AM, Mike P said:

What happened to all that discussion about a common code base and the same experience for everybody whatever operating system they are on?

Just to point out something that you probably already know: a common code base is fine as far as it goes, but at some point, your common code base can rest upon different OSes, each with its own way of doing things (copy/paste between different applications would be a pretty good example, I'd guess), unless your platform abstracts those differences away as well. Since I barely know Thing 1 about Electron's APIs, I can't comment with any authority on how that works in in that environment, but my guess is that a common code base providing perfect behavioral fidelity among different OS's is more aspirational than real, though I'd sure believe that it helps out a lot.

Edit: and of course, depending on a platform of any kind, whether it's an OS or a cross-OS platform like Electron means that you're still at risk from regressions in whatever lays beneath your code.

Edited by jefito
On 7/6/2022 at 9:37 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Good news: as indicated in the post below, this has been fixed in v. 10.40, currently available for the Web client and hopefully coming soon to desktop apps.

I've confirmed it works in v10.40.9 on the Web version (using Copy Image, Paste Image), however, there's no "Copy Image" Right-Click option for 10.40.9 desktop version and the normal Copy still doesn't work. Any way around this ?

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Try clicking the 'magic wand' symbol (where it's available) to convert the content to editable text - copy paste works then...

The "Magic Wand" doesn't appear if all I have is an image on its own (saved via Evernote  Web Clipper - save image to Evernote) - there's only an "Edit & Annotate" option.
Where the "Magic Wand" does appear i.e. mixed text and images it does convert the content, but I still can't copy/paste the image.

Is there something different in your desktop version - as it does seem to work for me in the web version  (which I never normally use) ?

• Evernote Expert

Copy & paste from the Windows desktop had been broken for months. It is known as an issue but who can say when it will be resolved.

The only workaround is to copy to the desktop (or any other Windows folder) and then from there to the destination application. Also, if you are copying to the default application for the file type (eg you want to open an image in Photoshop) then Open will do that .

• Evernote Expert
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  I updated to v10.40 (Windows) this morning,  so maybe that's the trick.

Try copying & pasting an image into Word. It still fails for me - even with 10.40...

27 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Try copying & pasting an image into Word. It still fails for me - even with 10.40...

I knew it had been broken (for ages !) hence I was optimistic it might have been fixed in 10.40 (desktop) based on the post from @gazumped.
Unfortunately, still seems broken for me.