(Archived) REQUEST: Ink notes on iPad

lefebma

Idea

Would like that feature from the PC version where I can handwrite a note on the iPad version. Would have to have some of the features that other handwriting iPad apps have, such as palm support (i.e. resting hand doesn't write on the note), ability to add typing text and pictures, and perhaps even recorded voice into the same note as well.

That would make a great Christmas gift :)

Thanks.

19 replies to this idea

Yes please. Right now, I have Bamboo Paper for ink notes and sketches, Noterize for annotating PDFs, and Evernote for everything else. I really want something that will also do handwriting recognition at least to make my ink notes searchable, but haven't found an answer yet. 7notes might be the solution.

I wish Evernote did everything!

Most of it has been mentioned before already, but it looks like it's some time ago someone tries to keep this request going.

I would still very much like a feature to create annotations to PDF's in evernote on my iPad.

Pen annotations and 'sticky' notes would be great. There are many great apps available to make annotations to pdf's. An easy to use direct link from evernote to one of these apps (opening and saving) would also be an option of direct integration is not something that can be easily done any time soon.

I use Speedtext HD. Its for handwriting only, but also lets you insert icons, and have the icons correspond to tags in Evernote. So when I am taking notes, and someone gives me an action item, I insert a Star icon, and when the note gets exported to Evernote, it is tagged with "Needs Action Item Completed."

I'd like this feature as well, even if a basic version. The reason i'd prefer a solution integrated within EN vs. a third-party program that syncs to its own notebook is the ability to attach the sketch to a note - to maintain context for same reasons we add images to notes - and edit the sketch from that location.

Personally, I need a basic version (sketch, erase, colors, point thickness, undo) and not really any handwriting recognition.

Linking notes between notebooks would address the context abit

Any suggestions?

Nik

I've spent a lot of time and money evaluating different handwriting programs on the iPad. For me the criteria of a successful program is

1) Replication of handwriting in a electronic format. This includes all of the relevant mechanics including zoom, wrist protection and other bells and whistles.

2) Integration with EN (front door and back door).

I've found two programs that work well and fufill my needs. Noteshelf is clearly the winner. It exports directly to EN and has a very feature rich operating envioronment. Also the writing is almost exactly what it would be with real paper/pen. The only downside to this program is it has no ability to type text. Some other apps in the app store have this feature but I've found that the quality of the writing is sacrificed in these apps.

The second runner up would be Penultimate. This app is good but has no native EN integration. The only way to back-door integrate is to email your note or cluster of notes to the EN address and using tags and "@" to specify notebooks. This program also has an extremely realistic pen style and is feature rich.

I think the upshot to the EN team - if your going to put a hand writing client as integrated into the EN app make sure you don't shortcut the pen style quality or mechanics. Otherwise it would be better to keep an app or two in the trunk that provides decent integration.

Tom

I want this feature too T.T I was shocked that evernote left out this super cool feature on the ipad. I'm an artist, so this feature means a lot to me. Eventhough there's no stylus support, ppl can still use pogo stylus as a pen. This is april 2010's blog entry:

Drawing

"We think that making a quick sketch or jotting down a phone number with your finger will be a great experience on the iPad, but we didn’t want to try to put in this functionality until we’d actually spent some quality time with the hardware. Handwriting is just too much of a tactile-based experience to develop purely on a simulator."

it's been a year, so pls don't delay. We are hoping eagerly... :)

As I have tried the millions (approximate #) of handwriting apps, they mostly just export as PDF. Prior to spending money on a premium account(searching PDFs is not free), is there an app that plays nice with EN and can export an image(image search is free)?

Adding my name to this request. I've tried several apps from the trunk and none of them suffice for a good old handwritten note. While you are at it how about adding the ability to hand notate existing EN notes. See MS OneNote for requested ability. I've used a Toshiba Tablet for years with OneNote but it is like carrying around a cinderblock compared to the iPad.

Me too please... Love Evernote and want to see some sort of "ink" when I use the iPad. Until then I use Penultimate.

I agree with the last post about use of Noteshelf. The integration with Evernote is good. I use it for lots of handwritten notes and send one page or a group of pages or an entire notebook to Evernote via the builtin integration. Evernote displays the first page when you view the (PDF) note. The biggest limitation is you cannot edit the note in Evernote after it is sent from Noteshelf.

Given this works pretty well and both Evernote and Noteshelf open where you left them when you switch apps on the iPad, it doesn't seem to me that the function built into Evernote would be lots better. I would not hold my breath for Evernote to build in the feature.

• Level 5*

I use NoteShelf, it has a nice Evernote integration. Given what Evernote have said about reinventing the wheel then I think we can assume that this feature will not be high on their list.

I would also like the Ink Note feature from the Windows client moved into the iPad app. I've used Evernote since v2 and have been waiting for the tablet hardware to catch up to Evernote's feature set. With the iPad, I feel like we're finally there. Ideally, the "ink" would allow me to annotate PDFs, PPTs, DOCX and RTF. But the Ink Note is an acceptable 1st step; PDF annotation would be 2nd, in my opinion; the rest would follow, if indeed you can't do all those file formats at once.
Seconded. I'd go buy an iPad tomorrow if Evernote had this feature.

I would also like the Ink Note feature from the Windows client moved into the iPad app. I've used Evernote since v2 and have been waiting for the tablet hardware to catch up to Evernote's feature set. With the iPad, I feel like we're finally there. Ideally, the "ink" would allow me to annotate PDFs, PPTs, DOCX and RTF. But the Ink Note is an acceptable 1st step; PDF annotation would be 2nd, in my opinion; the rest would follow, if indeed you can't do all those file formats at once.

Adding my name to this request. I've tried several apps from the trunk and none of them suffice for a good old handwritten note. While you are at it how about adding the ability to hand notate existing EN notes. See MS OneNote for requested ability. I've used a Toshiba Tablet for years with OneNote but it is like carrying around a cinderblock compared to the iPad.

Archived