Please please please make the Apple Pencil usable in Evernote.

LondonJames

Idea

I feel like i've waited for years for this basic functionality.  I love Evernote - and i especially LOVE the Mac update - now the iPad feels like a poor relation. 

I do EVERYTHING on my iPad. All client notes, all meeting notes etc.. - all taken by hand. I have a combination of GoodNotes - and now use Agenda heavily too for my client interactions. 

I'm forced to use these apps, because the Evernote one is so bad. I would LOVE to consolidate and do everything in Evernote (and get rid of Agenda) but currently i can't. 

Please please please. Thx - JH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 replies to this idea

Apologies for the brevity of my post.

I have used Penultimate, Goodnotes, Nebo and many others over the years and now use Noteshelf as it syncs to Evernote so that the read-only Evernote copy keeps up with changes in the Noteshelf original and allows quick and easy read-only access, filing and tagging within Evernote. It would just be easier if Evernote offered the same editing functions, with stationery and PDF import, itself. It cannot even distinguish between a finger and the Apple Pencil when sketching. Noteshelf is brilliant and any Evernote user taking handwritten notes should use it rather than any of the alternatives.

Much more frustratingly, my other major use of Apple Pencil is annotating PDF’s with script and highlights, normally using PDF Expert.  Evernote is hopeless for PDF annotation on IOS, particularly with no zoom or finger/palm rejection. On MacBook it is easy to annotate in PDF Expert with changes appearing instantly in the original Evernote note. On IOS the PDF has to be copied to PDF Expert then copied back into a new note in Evernote, needing filing and tagging after every reading/annotation session - completely impractical.

I hope this explains my frustrations.

• Like 3
On 2/1/2021 at 4:43 AM, Steven Eff said:

It would be nice to have the Apple Pencil integration in Evernote use the tool palette from the Apple Pencilkit API, but I wonder if that would cause interoperability issues with non-Apple platforms.

I'm not a fan of the PDF markup tools either, but they 'do'.

You might try liquidtext.  I have moved away from evernote (about 1 year ago) because of the stupid lack of apple pencil support.  However, I'm thinking of changing my workflow and coming back because onenote simply doesn't do what I need.  Currently, I use liquidtext to annotate pdf's, it works really well.  Am guessing I'll do my handwriting in notability and pdf work in liquidtext, and export those to evernote.  

• Like 1
On 1/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, LondonJames said:

I feel like i've waited for years for this basic functionality.  I love Evernote - and i especially LOVE the Mac update - now the iPad feels like a poor relation. 

I do EVERYTHING on my iPad. All client notes, all meeting notes etc.. - all taken by hand. I have a combination of GoodNotes - and now use Agenda heavily too for my client interactions. 

I'm forced to use these apps, because the Evernote one is so bad. I would LOVE to consolidate and do everything in Evernote (and get rid of Agenda) but currently i can't. 

Please please please. Thx - JH

Me too.

• Level 5

Don’t understand what you are posting. My EN iPad works fine with the pencil and the EN sketch feature. It is roughly the same as in Apple Notes - you get an indefinite canvas, can draw and write on it, and it is saving inside of a note. Handwritten text is made searchable by the EN server OCR function (Premium accounts).

It is working different than GoodNotes 5, and the handwriting feature is not as good. GN5 is dedicated for handwritten note taking - EN does many more things than just that. So it works to add content to a note with Apple Pencil on the iPad. If I had a longer note to take, I would use GN5, and export the note(book) later as a pdf to EN for storage and retrieval.

This is an example of how it looks:

6D2DE717-B962-46C9-88FB-F48A40D8ED6E.thumb.jpeg.ca795913978cbe5a613ecaab76fa48d7.jpeg

• Level 5

Thanks for elaborating.

EN is not optimized for extended handwriting - the feature is called Sketch, and that pretty much describes it.

In my use I have no problem with finger / palm recognition. But as I said, I don't use it for anything longer than a few words. When writing longer text, probably the hand position changes to avoid fatigue. In these cases I use GoodNotes 5, which allows to choose the hand position in settings. Noteshelf or Notability are other good apps, and Nebo (which makes the engine many other apps are using).

Regarding pdf annotation I think the main problem is not the pencil, it is the lack of a zooming ability in v10. This was already debated in other threads, and I think it must return to make annotation work (not only with the pencil). PDF Expert does a good job, but of course the workflow is broken with exporting, editing and reimporting.

• Like 1

Thanks. I agree, zooming would make a huge difference. Sketch is fine for the odd jot and the other apps fill the gap for extended note taking. 
I use Evernote a lot and have since 2008. I like the new versions a lot and look forward to the improvements. 

• Like 2

It would be nice to have the Apple Pencil integration in Evernote use the tool palette from the Apple Pencilkit API, but I wonder if that would cause interoperability issues with non-Apple platforms.

I'm not a fan of the PDF markup tools either, but they 'do'.