Offline access

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Tcellguy said:

Are offline search and compete local database sync not supported by Evernote 10?

Of course
- there's an offline database (optional) and it's search-able

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2020 at 11:01 PM, DTLow said:

Of course
- there's an offline database (optional) and it's search-able

There does not seem to be an offline database in the sense that the full collection of notes are available while offline. The new Evernote seems to only download a note when it is opened while online, after which point in time that particular note (that was previously opened) will then be available while offline. However, if I have thousands of notes and have not opened each one of them recently while online, then when I am offline on an airplane I am not able to open those other notes. Put another way: If I have recently opened notes 1 through 100 while online, then I can access those offline; whereas, if I attempt to open notes 101 through 1,000 while offline, then I cannot access those notes. I am hopeful that Evernote prioritizes full offline functionality in the near future.

This was a deal breaker for me. I need access to certain notes in offline mode. Until they update all my notes would sync to my iOS devices and I could access them while on planes etc. Silently the update was applied, and when I tried to access a note offline it was just t available. That’s what I was paying for, so that’s it for me! Ten year sub cancelled. Bye!

• 1 year later...

I have been regularly checking in with Evernote support on this subject, about once every three months, and so far the answer has been the same. Not having the ability to access all content while offline renders this to be of more limited use as a tool for archiving and organizing information. I understand their reason for rearchitecting their product, as the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (including my offline use-case), but it's still frustrating to lose a major aspect of the functionality that I presumed would continue to be available.

Responses thus far over the last year have included the following:

"I can see how a great addition to Evernote this feature would be and I think other users would find it helpful. I am happy to submit this as a feature request to our development team."

"The product team will assess the offline note status and work on prioritizing this in a future release, but I do not currently have an estimated time on when it will be addressed."

"Although we do not currently have an estimated time on when it will be addressed, rest assured that we have received your request. that the product team will assess the offline note status and work on prioritizing this in a future release."

"Please note that we haven’t included this feature yet into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know that this is important to you."

"We're still working in improving this so that all notes are available when offline after the initial sync is complete."

"... we still haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will let our product team know about your follow up to this concern."

• Level 5

It is possible to download the full database - given your device has enough memory to house it.

So either support does not know their own app, or you asked the wrong questions.

This is how it works:

• Go to iOS settings, Display & Brightness. Set the autolockscreen to "Never".
  • Open the EN app. Choose the notebooks to download. It should work with "all notebooks", at least it did it for me, but others reported problems with this option. So do is for a number of selected notebooks, then repeat for others until all are downloaded.
  • With the notebooks selected and the EN app in the foreground, put the iOS device on a charger. Let it run, I did it over the night. It is important that the EN app stays in front, and the iOS device stays unlocked. iOS kills app activities once an app goes to the background, or the lock screen kicks in. This happens because iOS stops it from downloading in the background to conserve battery, not because EN would not try.

8k notes took 3 nights to download on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the same on my iPad Pro 10.5.

Since the initial download, it keeps the notebooks updated while the app is in normal daily use.

So guys, spare yourself all the emotion, bad vibes based on wrong information are worth nothing. Get your initial download done, and be happy again. 

I appreciate your detailed guidance and the time that you spent providing this information. I'm sure that others will come across what you've shared and find it helpful. Thank you.

In my instance, the problem that I described is with the software that runs on the Windows operating system. After extensive repeated testing, I can confirm that Evernote Legacy version 6.25.2 for Windows does indeed download all notes after running for several days, along the lines of what you've described for the software that runs on the iOS operating system. However, the same cannot be said for the newer versions of Evernote for Windows, such as with version 10.32.4. With the newer version of Evernote for Windows, I can additionally confirm that this does not download all notes after running for several days. I have many thousands of notes and when I disconnect from the Internet, the notes will not open. For instance, if I open 10 notes at random while online, and then go offline, then I am able to open those 10 notes, but only those 10 notes, not the other notes.

The legacy Evernote for Windows does actually download everything and make it available offline, whereas the new Evernote for Windows does not.

Thank you again for weighing in on this.

• Evernote Expert

I am not aware of a means of downloading all notes for offline use in the v10 Windows app as a bulk process. Rather, I believe EN 10 achieves this note-by-note as you have experienced. You will, of course, have the setting to retain your data when go offline.

New users will, I think, experience a growing collection of notes that will have been accessed at creation and therefore be available offline. Those of us who have been around a bit and moved to v10 will find that pre-v10 notes notes need to have been accessed online before they become available offline.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005917-Access-notes-offline

EN v10 on Android works in much the same way as @PinkElephant describes for iOS.

• Level 5

Personally I have a frequent use case on my Mac for offline use, when I am traveling by train. Up to now I have not encountered notes that had not downloaded. Furthermore my Evernote folder has approximately the same size in GB as my app data on my iPad, fully downloaded.

Hints:

It is important to have the switch in settings active to keep data when leaving EN.

When holding down (if on Windows it is different, try ctrl and shift ) the alt/opt key before clicking on the help menu, there is an additional option „Troubleshooting“. Inside of this menu are 2 options „Reload“ and „Force Reload“. Try them.

It may help to rebuild the database. To do this toggle the „Keep data“ in settings off. Then log out of your account and quit the app. Restart the PC. Restart EN, log back in and toggle the switch back to keep data. It should make a fresh download now.

Ask support …

15 hours ago, Chris Darby said:

However, the same cannot be said for the newer versions of Evernote for Windows, such as with version 10.32.4. With the newer version of Evernote for Windows, I can additionally confirm that this does not download all notes after running for several days. I have many thousands of notes and when I disconnect from the Internet, the notes will not open. For instance, if I open 10 notes at random while online, and then go offline, then I am able to open those 10 notes, but only those 10 notes, not the other notes.

The legacy Evernote for Windows does actually download everything and make it available offline, whereas the new Evernote for Windows does not.

Thank you again for weighing in on this.

All my notes, including my 'legacy' notes, are offline in V10 for windows. While offline, I can edit, search, tag, move notebooks, delete, anything...

Obviously, you should activate the offline mode as PinkElephant already explained  (tools | preferences | save data when logging out (or something like that in English))

• Like 1

I hopped on my Windows machine and disabled my Ethernet adapter (Windows machine is a Desktop) to see what I could see.

While offline, the "filters" don't work:

image.png.aacf34a89410ae266c12a18db11510f3.png

But I could do a regular search and get results. In this case, I searched for "contains:attachment"

image.png.6a158742c964cfb5252907ebbd9fe27a.png

I opened notes that I know I haven't opened since I've been using v10 -- notes from 2+ years ago. The note opened and all the attachment data seemed to be there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Boot17 said:

But I could do a regular search and get results. In this case, I searched for "contains:attachment"

Even better, I noticed that the offline regular search immediately returns newly created notes as well, which is not always the case with server search since indexing on the server takes minutes or even more...

• Level 5

Who has problems when offline should recreate the offline database from the server. It is slightly different for PC and Mac, but in general works like this:

1. Go to File/Evernote menu, settings and toggle the switch to Remove/Keep data to NO
  2. Sign out, quit the app
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Restart EN, sign back in, set the toggle to keep data again

It may take a while until everything is downloaded.

Thank you @PinkElephant, @eric99, @Boot17 and others who have shared advice and offered guidance.

It does seem that different users are observing different outcomes when attempting to access Evernote records offline. I have had a paid Personal account for many years and still do, so the offline functionality should be included.

I have attempted a full reinstallation and redownload of all records with the newest version of the software on Windows 10, but so far my experiences have been the same: when disconnected from the network and offline, I can open notes that were recently opened, but I cannot open other notes. This is after a full reinstall and new synchronize. One of the frustrations with the new Evernote is that there doesn't seem to be a clear indication of the synchronization (download) status... neither 5% nor 95% ... not even a busy indicator.

However, I might also be an unusual customer, since I have over 30,000 records in Evernote. It's been a great "auxiliary brain", research tool and catch-all for me, with how I've been able to relate different topics with tags and advanced searches. Because I have so many records, it is understandable that this might be overwhelming the Evernote service and software, maybe to the point of preventing full offline usage. I have left the PC on for a very long time: I'll need to test again, but I seem to recall leaving it on 24/7 for over a week. Full offline access to any and all records still did not work. Or maybe it's not my situation of having so many thousands of records, as support has repeatedly stated that they're still working on full offline capability... unless they are mistaken in stating that, as has been mentioned as a possibility in this forum.

Because my high quantity of records might be the problem, I will perform an additional test of offline access with Evernote for Windows, entirely isolated from my current account and existing collection of note records. I will purchase an additonal second Personal account for one month of testing ($7.99). I only have one Windows computer available at this time, so I am unable to remove this device from the problem isolation testing, but I will fully uninstall the new version of Evernote, look for and delete remnant directories and files, restart the Windows O.S., and reinstall the new version of Evernote.

Subsequent testing will be as follows:

I will add 10 or 20 new notes on the PC.

I will add an additional 50 to 100 new notes using a combination of the web version of Evernote and the Android version of Evernote.

On the PC instance of Evernote, I will open 10 to 20 of the notes that had been created via web and Android. This will leave around 40 to 80 of those externally created notes unopened on the PC.

I will leave the Evernote software logged on and running 24/7 on the PC while online for two full days (48 hours), in the hope that this allows sufficient opportunity to download those other 40 to 80 unopened notes.

Last, after waiting the full two days, I will then disconnect the PC from being online, and then attempt to open all notes while offline.

I will report back the results of my test.

Edited by Chris Darby
Minor grammatical corrections
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Chris Darby said:

One of the frustrations with the new Evernote is that there doesn't seem to be a clear indication of the synchronization (download) status... neither 5% nor 95% ... not even a busy indicator.

19 minutes ago, Chris Darby said:

since I have over 30,000 records in Evernote

An unfortunate combination those two...

FWIW - I don't have near as many notes as you. It seems like that could definitely be a contributing factor.

Good luck!

• Level 5

Hey guys, you couldn't be more wrong.

First on the main window, at the bottom to the right there are the words "All changes saved" (or similar, I am not on an English version of the app). When it says this, it is idle. When it is not idle, these words will change and indicate the current activity.

This is indicator number one.

• Level 5

Then if you want to admire the inner workings of the app in all brilliant detail (and understand why it burns so many system resources to do what it does), you can see all this. The example is taken from forcing a Reload on my EN Mac client, 10.32. The main window shows what it does, the small window to the right shows details of a specific part of the operation, selected from the main window:

SCR-20220310-17l.thumb.png.011bc5728906117823e685726862b0a3.png

• Level 5

WOW ? Yes - WOW !

How to get this ?

Either hold down the alt/opt key (Mac, maybe on Windows it is ctrl/strg) before clicking on the help menu. There is a new option "Troubleshooting", and inside of it are the developer tools.

Or when the EN window is active simply press F12 to toggle the view on and off.

You can select a lot more information by the tabs at the top - this here is the network view, showing what is going on on the internet connection.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, Chris Darby said:

[truncated]

I will add 10 or 20 new notes on the PC.

I will add an additional 50 to 100 new notes using a combination of the web version of Evernote and the Android version of Evernote.

On the PC instance of Evernote, I will open 10 to 20 of the notes that had been created via web and Android. This will leave around 40 to 80 of those externally created notes unopened on the PC.

I will leave the Evernote software logged on and running 24/7 on the PC while online for two full days (48 hours), in the hope that this allows sufficient opportunity to download those other 40 to 80 unopened notes.

Last, after waiting the full two days, I will then disconnect the PC from being online, and then attempt to open all notes while offline.

I will report back the results of my test.

For anyone who might be interested (including @PinkElephant, @eric99, @Boot17 and others who have shared advice and offered guidance), after taking my time over the last two weeks I've finished populating my new Evernote test account with 100 test notes, and have started the online full synchronization testing that I mentioned back on 9 March 2022. I anticipate concluding the test after about 2 days and will let you know of the results.

The below text is a copy of my notes that I am using to track this test. I will provide an update with the findings (to be recorded in steps 6 and 7) in about 2 days. I am also including some related screen capture image files in a separate post immediately following this post.

Evernote Synchronization Test Checklist

Because my high quantity of records might be the problem, I will perform an additional test of offline access with Evernote for Windows, entirely isolated from my current account and existing collection of note records. I will purchase an additional second Personal account for one month of testing ($7.99). I only have one Windows computer available at this time, so I am unable to remove this device from the problem isolation testing, but I will fully uninstall the new version of Evernote, look for and delete remnant directories and files, restart the Windows O.S., and reinstall the new version of Evernote. 

1. Purchase new subscription and install clean instance of software on Windows computer. When accessing the account via web browser, to ensure that only my new test account is utilized and not my original main account.

20220311 2130 CST: Done.

2. Add 10 or 20 new notes on the Windows computer.

20220311 2215 CST: Done.

3. Add an additional 50 to 100 new notes using a combination of the web version of Evernote and the Android version of Evernote, and using the email gateway.

20220326 0958 CDT: This occurred over two weeks from 11 March through 25 March.

4. On the Windows computer instance of Evernote, open 10 to 20 of the notes that had been created via web and Android. This will leave around 40 to 80 of those externally created notes unopened on the Windows computer.

20220326 0959 CDT: Upon opening the new Evernote for Windows software for the first time in about two weeks, I received a notification that a new version is available. Proceeded to download and install the new version. It now shows as version 10.33.5-win-ddl-public (3295). [Ref. file capture_20220326_10.png]

20220326 1001 CDT: While online, opened test notes 1 through 17. Test Note 1 was created using Evernote for the web browser. Test Notes 2 through 17 were created using the Evernote for Windows software.

20220326 1003 CDT: While online: opened test notes 28 through 31, created using the Evernote for Android software; opened test notes 47 through 49, created using the Evernote for email gateway; and opened test notes 88 through 90, created using Evernote for the web browser.

5. Leave the Evernote software logged on and running 24/7 on the Windows computer while online for two full days (48 hours), in the hope that this allows sufficient opportunity to download those other 40 to 80 unopened notes.

20220326 1006 CDT: Start of background synchronizing download test. Numerous test notes have been opened while online, as noted in the preceding step. The Evernote for Windows software will continue to remain running while online, with the last note tested remaining selected open (Test Note 90). The Evernote for Windows software will remain running in a normal window state (not minimized) while online; however, other software might be utilized at the same time periodically, such as email and web browser software. Although the older Evernote Legacy software is installed, it is not running and will not be run during this time. The computer will remain powered on and online for the next 48 hours, along with the new Evernote for Windows software running during that time.

20220326 1030 CDT: Created screen capture PNG image files named capture_20220326_01.png through capture_20220326_10.png. Screen captures 01 through 09 show the Test Note 1 through Test Note 100 as viewed using a web browser (so as to not corrupt the Evernote for Windows software test in progress). Screen capture 10 shows the Evernote for Windows software running along with the current About screen software version. [Ref. folder C:\Users\chris\OneDrive\Documents\Evernote_testing]

6. Last, after waiting the full two days, disconnect the Windows computer from being online, and then attempt to open all notes while offline.

Note results here.

7. Report back the results of my test.

Note results here.

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

A lot of effort, thank you. I checked text and pictures. 

What are your conclusions ?

I'm just starting the second phase of testing, as per step 5 in my earlier post today. At this current time, the Evernote for Windows software continues to run and is online, and will continue to run and remain online for about 2 days. The next step will be that, on Monday morning, 28 March, I will disconnect the Windows computer from the Internet (no Ethernet, no Wi-Fi), going offline, and I will then attempt to open all of the 100 test notes while offline.

After that has concluded (on Monday), I will then post my findings here. The objective will be to see if all 100 notes will open while the computer is offline.

I'm defining positive functionality as follows: All notes can be opened with all content available, likely indicating that the Evernote for Windows software does download the full contents of all notes and would be available of offline use.

I'm defining negative functionality as follows: All notes cannot be opened with all content available, likely indicating that the Evernote for Windows software does not download the full contents of all notes and would not be available for offline use.

However, I'm giving it a full 48 hours of running online in an attempt to allow it sufficient time to download all content for all 100 notes.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, Chris Darby said:

6. Last, after waiting the full two days, disconnect the Windows computer from being online, and then attempt to open all notes while offline.

Note results here.

Note results here.

Here's continuing where I left off:

2020328 1100 CDT: Preparing to perform test of using Evernote for Windows while offline. The software has been running and online for over 48 hours. While still online and before going offline, reopening the same notes as were opened two days ago: Test notes 1 through 17; test notes 28 through 31; test notes 47 through 49; and test notes 88 through 90. These opened and revealed their full contents without any problems. Also, for the purpose of confirming that the current Evernote for Windows software session is active and online, opened the following 5 additional test notes (in no particular order) while online: Test notes 20, 22, 35, 51 and 83.

20220328 1110 CDT: Disconnected the Windows computer from the Internet (no Ethernet, no Wi-Fi). The computer is now offline, as confirmed by the network status and by the inability to connect to websites via a web browser.

20220328 1112 CDT: Start of offline Evernote for Windows software testing. Successfully opened the contents (including attachments) of all 100 test notes while offline.

20220328 2145 CDT: This test demonstrates that my previous assumptions were wrong, as it turns out that the new Evernote for Windows software does actually download notes on a computer that has not previously opened those notes, although it should be noted that this test was performed with a new Evernote account with only 100 notes.

Final conclusion and venting of frustrations:

I'm not seeing these same results with my main Evernote account that I've been using since 2011, as these notes are not available to open when offline. I've tested leaving the new Evernote for Windows software running 24/7 for about a week at a time, but in light of me having over 30,000 notes, I can only guess that either much more time is needed to download all notes, or maybe there is a problem with client-server synchronizing of such a large quantity of notes. I doubt that my local Internet Service Provider is likely to be part of the problem, since my ISP speeds reach up to one gigabit per second (1 Gb/s) and my Windows computer is running on gigabit Ethernet (tested and confirmed). It is understandable that Evernote might be throttling data transfers on their end, so as to share bandwidth among all customers, but it's not clear how many weeks or months I would need to leave my computer on 24/7 in order to download my full database for offline use from the cloud. With the old Evernote for Windows software, my entire database would download within a few hours, or at the most in less than one day, and then be fully available for offline use. It would be helpful if the new Evernote for Windows software provided an easily accessible and clear download status, such as "Downloading note 27,123 of 39,999", instead of needing to manually attempt to estimate progress based on monitoring data transfer progress using developer tools in Chromium web browsers.

I also have concerns that it might not be possible for me to retain full ownership of and access to my data for the foreseeable future. If there is any truth to what I've read in other forum posts, it sounds like the new Evernote for Windows software cannot be installed fresh on a new offline Windows computer and then run for the purpose of accessing locally stored notes, not without being online and first authenticating with the Evernote cloud. This is a problem because one cannot be certain that the Evernote cloud will always be available to authenticate with, so one can't be certain to be able to access their locally stored data at a future date.

In either case, at the end of the day, I am unable to access all of my notes when using the new Evernote for Windows software. Yes, I can continue to use the old Evernote for Windows software to access my past notes, but this results in a break in continuity, since my "auxiliary brain" that has existed within this single large Evernote database is no longer fully accessible when offline with the new software. Even if I abandoned my current database, giving up the ability to cross-reference and link new future notes to my past notes, it's still not clear going forward that new future notes will be accessible offline years into the future.

I need to evaluate alternative solutions, either in addition to or instead of Evernote. The new Evernote software is not currently capable of functioning in a way that ensures that the user's data will be fully accessible to them in the future, at least not in a situation where the data needs to be recovered from locally owned offline storage media and in the event that the Evernote cloud service is no longer available. As a consumer of various products and services, it's ultimately my decision as to how I make use of products and services that I purchase, and it's my responsibility to also accept the consequences of that decision, to include the possibility that I might have been misusing Evernote over the last 11 years. It just worked out that I chose to be dependent on Evernote as my "auxiliary brain" for conducting research, tagging and cross-referencing a broad variety of data, and my assumption that this would continue to be within the capabilities of Evernote is my error and misuse of the product.

Evernote has been an awesome product and service, and I hope that the people behind Evernote continue to have great success. I mentioned in a previous and separate forum post that Evernote made a difficult decision to standardize their new software across the board for all platforms so as to lower their software engineering burden, and I fully understand and respect their decision. It's just unfortunate and frustrating as a longtime user that I chose to so tightly integrate Evernote in my day to day practices and can no longer be certain to always have full access to all of my data. I "put all of my eggs in one basket", but I should have only been using Evernote as strictly a note taking tool, and should not have assumed that this would always be a more general use long-term information storage and retrieval tool.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Personally I am traveling by train from time to time, where the internet connection is an on/off thing. So I prefer to use EN onboard with my MacBook Pro kept offline.

Up to now I did not encounter any note with missing content. I have legacy installed side by side, and no need to use it as a backup because of missing information.

The size of the data folder in bytes reported by the OS is similar as well.

Not an elaborate test like you did, but for me good enough to go (literally).

@Chris Darby, I share your concerns about using EN as a long-term information storage and retrieval tool. I am a EN for MAC user, almost a decade of paid personal subscription.   there should be a clear way to offload selected notebooks (like there is in iOS).for immediate search and re-call locally AND the option to access (albeit with internet lag) my entire EN database when I want; regardless of platform.  EN needs to accommodate long-term users (PAID) that have large databases.  

• Level 5

If you do not actively turn it off, all content is downloaded for offline use. The switch is on the Mac in the Evernote menu, Settings, Keep data on leaving. It is all or nothing, not per notebook. It is in fact using this database - this is the reason why the installed client starts fast, whereas the web client takes significantly longer when starting.

When offline it runs from this local database, and syncs later. Some operations (especially on multiple notes) may run slightly faster when offline.

It may take a while to download, but after this I have not met content that was not available. I needed to rebuild my database from the server some weeks ago - network activity was over after appr. 2 days, so I think this was the time it took to download, on my Gigabit internet connection.

The size of the data folder is similar to the app data showing on iOS on my iPad, where I have a full download as well.

In fact is behaves similar to legacy, which keeps a full local download without any notebook selection as well. The differences: No local notebooks, that are not synced. And on legacy you could not simply activate „Remove data when leaving“ - the local copy always stayed on the drive.

• Evernote Expert

@Chris Darby Thank you for your careful and thoughtful exploration of offline note access.

I, too, have, in the past, found that older note content was not available when I was offline.  However, that was experience based on the very earliest Evernote v10 releases. As I recall, I found the issue was resolved when I tagged notes for a business trip to identify those needed eg: egypt_apr_2022 Viewing the notes before the trip started seemed to ensure that they were subsequently viewable when offline. Certainly adding the tag achieved that. But that only fixed things  for that collection of notes.

I just followed your example but with less diligence and only on my live Evernote data.  Having disconnected from the Internet after closing Evernote I then reopened v10.33.5 (running on Windows 11). I sorted the notes so that I could immedialtely go the oldest in my collection. Every single note was available to me offline. No content was missing. This included notes that had not been subject to my tagging scheme.

So, from my perspective, something has changed and improved over the last 18 months. I appreciate that your experience is different but I think that also points to something that relates to your data, hardware, network or whatever. You could be correct that holding 30,000 notes may be something to do with it but I really couldn't say. It is just one of a number of potential areas to explore.  I'm an inveterate tidier so once notes have no useful purpose they tend to go so my collection of notes is smaller than yours. I also shed a significant number of company related pieces of work when I retired and closed my consulting business last year.

I'd probably persist in trying to work out what is happening for data if I was you. You might just find a less troublesome software solution. That said, moving 30,000 notes elsewhere might just create as a big a challenge - just different.

• Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...

Thank you @agsteele. After having an extended period of not utilizing Evernote, other than the occasional search for an old note through my local offline database (27 GB) in Evernote Legacy 6.25.9198, it would seem that I've been able to move on, so I'm discontinuing my annual subscription at this point, since it is due to renew in a couple of weeks. As I had mentioned before in other past posts, I understand why Evernote completely refactored their Windows client application (i.e., increased cross-platform shared code and less developer headaches going forward), and I also recognize that I have a lot of work to do with my information collection and organization practices [i.e., stop capturing so much content (bloat) and then expecting it to be readily available offline]. I appreciate the service that I received before the changes were implemented and I wish Evernote the best in the future. Thanks again to many on here for your feedback and guidance. Take care.

• Like 2