[Fixed in Version 10.6] Issue: Sorry, we’re having some trouble. Try reloading the page.

J_P_R

Idea

I just updated my Mac Evernote app to version 10.2.4 and now it won't load my notes. I can login on the iOS and web just fine, but not the Mac app. I've restarted my machine but it makes no difference.

It just displays the error message: "Sorry, we’re having some trouble. Try reloading the page." Clicking Reload Page just loads the same error message over and over.

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 11.09.12 am.png

• Like 2

After the latest update I get the above error message when trying to access my notes.  It happens with most notes most of the time.  Not every not all the time but most of the time.

I deleted the AppData Evernote folder and uninstalled/reinstalled the program, the error still exists.  No other problems on my laptop.

Please fix ASAP or refund the $70 dollars as I am not able to use the product as advertised, so why should I have to pay?

image_2020-12-17_141123.png

• Like 6

I have the same issue on windows 10.5.7.  Whatever notebook has focus, the notes in it, seem to work fine but anytime I try to open another notebook I get this screen.  The application is totally unusable.

• Like 4
On 12/18/2020 at 8:57 AM, cdenki said:

I have the same problem. Severly affecting me right now as it affects my two most commonly used notebooks for projects. Please fix asap. 

Same, with 10.5.7 build 2171. I opened a ticket with the logs and afterwards I reverted to Evernote 10.4.4 build 2096 . Don't close the app or it will auto-update!!!

To the devs: Bug also happens with 10.5.6 build 2168.

EDIT2: the problem seems to get fixed if I delete Evernote's AppData folder (thus losing all notes not on Evernote Web)

Edited by pedro8

Same here. This update is NOT stable. What a way to put a damper on what would have been a highly productive morning... I recommend those being affected to bring up the browser version until a new updated is released.

This also adds to an increasing amount of issues lately with Evernote releases. Come on. Get some proper QA on these builds.

• Like 2

Keep receiving the message below. Seems to happen when navigating between notebooks. Since there is a slight delay in the app, when doing bulk actions, I'm going to assume the API is being used in the desktop clients and perhaps, just a guess here, the API is timing out when doing some actions. I've found, when this occurs, if I navigate to the All Notes folder, then navigate to the folder that caused the message in the first place, then I am able to view the notebook.

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

522692910_ScreenShot2020-12-19at10_52_22.thumb.png.4a323ca61e52f2d4bbaf1f3647d10469.png

Was just able to repro. Created a new folder in the desktop client. When I logged into the web client, the folder is not there. Back to the desktop client, I navigate to the new folder, that has notes, and the above message is received. I click the reload page button, navigate to All Notes, then back to new folder and able to see notes.  

New folder HAS NOT been created in the web client yet.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, James A. said:

Was just able to repro. Created a new folder in the desktop client. When I logged into the web client, the folder is not there. Back to the desktop client, I navigate to the new folder, that has notes, and the above message is received. I click the reload page button, navigate to All Notes, then back to new folder and able to see notes.  

New folder HAS NOT been created in the web client yet.

Moved you to the thread that contains more of this...

• Like 1

Evernote, what's the deal? Completely unable to navigate between notes. This is wildly frustrating and seeing zero responses from your team is unacceptable. Goes a long way to simply acknowledge the existence of this issue. 

Evernote_2020-12-22_08-34-29.png

• Like 4

Same issue on two different Windows 10 Pro systems running EN v10.5.7. They have actually been ok most of the day until about an hour ago. Now constant "Sorry, we're having some trouble. Try reloading the page." when selecting any notebook.

2020-12-22 15_40_50-Inbox - Evernote.png

Same problem - its getting beyond ridiculous.. Every time i click on a different note it says "Sorry, we're having some trouble. Try reloading the page."

I'm using the latest update to MacOS - Big Sur (V11.1) with the updated Evernote:

v 10.5.6 build 458417 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

I have downloaded the Legacy App - this works flawlessly (so fo now its a work around) however, as a premium member I expected better.

Also, I have noticed the search functionally in the New app compared to the Legacy app isn't working correctly!

I searched 'get-wmi' - The New app shows nothing! the Legacy give me results

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 23.00.23.png

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 22.54.02.png

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 22.49.01.png

Same issue here:  I pay for this service and I can't even get to my notes from the mac application... so what is the point in using it?  Maybe time to move to Joplin unless this gets resolved VERY QUICKLY.

Same issue here. I used to love Evernote. Now with every upgrade (automatically? are you kidding?) I hate it more. 

What's the deal of this "having some trouble, try reloading..." deal? Can you please fix it? Is that so hard? Why not just auto downgrade to old version?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Everyone is aware of the possibility to step back to the previous version of Evernote,  or to install a Legacy version that will work alongside v10 I hope...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/119867-evernote-for-mac-710/

Having the exact same issue with the new version. Just downloaded the Legacy is a band-aid not a solution, it does not contain the same features at the last version. This experience overall has been throughly annoying to pay for something that doesn't work properly. I do hope the issue is remedied soon or at least restore the old version until the new one is fixed. please

I have been trying for over two months to work with the new Evernote app, but v10.5.7 is keep sending my the aforementioned message forcing me to reload over and over again. The last couple of days I get the feeling that i am just losing my time. 

Today I decided to go back to my Desktop Evernote application (6.25.1.9091).

I've been a premium user since 2013. I turned off Evernote in frustration at the v.10 product. Came back last night to give it another go hoping the many issues had largely been resolved - and I get this 'We're having trouble....' error on both Mac and Windows. Evernote v.10 is literally unusable and it appears the issue has been in existance for some weeks. Feels like a sinking ship. I have installed the legacy version for now.

Same issue here. Was concidering re-upgrading after the previous bugs were solved but now there is no reason for it as the Mac App is again totally useless. So better to stay with free version and use only the web-version. It's sad to see bug after bug appearing into a service which used to work pretty ok.

Mac version 10.5.7 and blowing away the data isn't working for me. It's when I click certain Notebooks that it crashes out.

A workaround for me is to click into a recently edited note in that notebook, then I'm able to access other notes in the same notebook. Please let me know when there's a real solution, as this is quite painful. 

The problem, at lest for me, involves just notebooks that I've created, not notebooks that are shared with me - those seem to load no problem.

My fix has been that I noticed that if I could first open a note within the notebook, then, when I open the notebook, it loads, so my fix is...

For each notebook that is not loading, I create a note within that notebook (I name it my LINK NOTE) and then place that LINK NOTE in the shortcuts menu.  Then, when I want to access that particular notebook, I first click on the LINK NOTE, which opens the blank note, then once it's open, I can click on the notebook and it loads.

Not, ideal, but it does seem to work for me.  The frustration comes in that although I can figure out a work around - I have 20 people on my staff and we all rely on Evernote to work together and it's a big hassle to try and have everyone do this.

I have recently downloaded the Legacy version and will probably have everyone switch to this - but so disappointed in Evernote because I have to rely on it working for my job and the amount of glitches and bugs that have popped up in the past few months is frustrating.

• Like 1

Think I might have a solution for everyone.  I've been having the exact same error "Sorry, we're having trouble ...".  I've done the following:

1. Opened up a support ticket - they don't seem to know how to support the 10.x software.
  2. Tried to remove the ~/Library/Application Support/Evernote which BTW does not exist.
  3. Deleting the program, empty the trash, reboot and tried to re-install.

Today, I did some poking around to see what files were opened and I found that the "new" location of the files is: ~/Library/Containers/Evernote.  To get it to work I did the following:

1. Signed out of EN app and then quit
  2. Renamed the  ~/Library/Containers/Evernote to Evernote-old
  3. Restarted the application and signed back in.

So far - things seem to be working :)

- Chris

• Like 1

These instructions are only for a Mac....

I used Evernote with their fix for 30 minutes and did not see the issue again. Note, that this suggestion will remove some of your preferences. For example, the Note List View will revert to their default cards view, etc.

You know things are working well when you see a login screen when you open Evernote back up.

1. Quit your Evernote application
  2. Open Finder
  3. In the menu bar select Go > Go to Folder...
  4. Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ and select Go
  5. Delete the folder titled Evernote
  6. Reboot your computer
  7. Open Evernote and log back in

Since Evernote staff still seems to not be aware of the problem :wink: :wink: (I opened one ticket and pointed here, so they should):

WORKAROUND/FIX (source):

The problem seems to get fixed if I delete Evernote's AppData folder (thus losing all notes not on Evernote Web)

12 hours ago, Khem said:

These instructions are only for a Mac....

I used Evernote with their fix for 30 minutes and did not see the issue again. Note, that this suggestion will remove some of your preferences. For example, the Note List View will revert to their default cards view, etc.

You know things are working well when you see a login screen when you open Evernote back up.

I've removed the folder, rebooted, got asked for creds again and it was good. After working for like an hour or so it's back to the same error as it was.

5 minutes ago, pedro8 said:

Since Evernote staff still seems to not be aware of the problem 😉 😉 (I opened one ticket and pointed here, so they should):

WORKAROUND/FIX (source😞

The problem seems to get fixed if I delete Evernote's AppData folder (thus losing all notes not on Evernote Web)

Hi pedro8, can you work with Evernote for some time and let us now if problem will be back? I deleted folder as in the workaround but issue got back after some time.

Any ETA for fixing this issue? It makes not only my premium sub basically useless but the whole app. Or a way to stay permanently on an older version and completely disable automatic updates?

Thanks for getting back, Dan

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Shane D. said:

I'll provide an update once I have more information.

@Shane D. appreciate your answer. Can we get more help from Evernote? First posts regarding this issue are from November so it's a known problem for at least two months now. Workaround to remove temp data folder does not solve problem permanently but for some random period of time. 

• Like 3

same also here: windows 10 app v10.5.7 build 2171

It seems that if I click the note from All Notes, it can work. But if I choose some notes from Notebooks, it dosen't work. Always keep reload...

Just now I thought it was the reason for not upgrading membership.  I still encounter this problem after paying.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

@Shane D.thanks for letting us know. But any estimated time to fix this problem? This case has been going on since November. And why not just go to previous working versions until you guys find a solution for the problem? I really cannot wait more and I need to know how long approximately will it take? Thanks 

• Like 1

using Mac Mini, this error message just happened again... 

need to keep reloading and sometimes i manage to get it after a few times of reloading, while sometimes need longer... it's getting very annoying

I'm logged into Evernote on my computer. When I open it I see my last note, but when I try to open a different note I get this message:

"Sorry, we're having some trouble. Try reloading the page."

So currently I can't access any of my notes. Any idea when this will be resolved?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, sssaul said:

The error keeps on happening to me as well. What's the point of paying premium if basic functionality simply isn't there?

Agree 100%. Not to mention that Evernote Support is ignoring this problem. 

• Like 2
On 12/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that this is an issue we're aware of, and are working to fix.

As @Khem mentioned, you can try the steps listed below.

However, this may not permanently fix the issue, and the issue may pop-up again until we have been able to implement a permanent fix.

This is really a problem for me as a Premium member who uses this app on my Mac every day, for home and work. Over two months as a known bug with this little information and no real fix? I have to start looking for an alternative, this is so unacceptable.  I tried the work-arounds, they work for a bit but then fail. I doubt I'll find anything I like nearly as much as Evernote, but if it is stable that is a key advantage. 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Also having the same issue. The majority of my Notebooks are suddenly inaccessible. Running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 on MacBook Pro. Hugely problematic as I rely so heavily on Evernote. 

Do you have some guidance on workarounds while a full 'fix' is worked out?

Thanks

• Like 1

I have been a premium user for many years. Never have I experience a bug in Evernote that would cause me not want to use it. This is crazy. This issue makes the product unusable. I cannot believe Evernote is taking so long to issue a fix. This is not the Evernote I've come to know and love. Please fix this issue !!!!!!!!

• Like 1
On 12/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that this is an issue we're aware of, and are working to fix.

As @Khem mentioned, you can try the steps listed below.

However, this may not permanently fix the issue, and the issue may pop-up again until we have been able to implement a permanent fix.

Please stop recommending this as a fix. This does not resolve the issue for more than a short time and continues to frustrate your end-users. 

I cannot believe this is happening so recently after Evernote decided their application had matured to the point where the web app was considered an additional device and I'd have to pay to realistically continue using the service.  

THE. THICK. CLIENT. IS. BROKEN.

How is the dev team not all-hands on deck for this issue?  If the applications I maintain as a professional software engineer were this broken for this long, I would have been fired.

I just signed up for a full year.  My expectations rise dramatically for a paid service vs a free one.  

Where is the fix for this issue?  

• Like 2

I became an Evernote user (and premium subscriber) on Monday. I absolutely love the product and its minimal, straightforward design. I am experiencing this particular issue with the macOS app and hope it gets resolved soon. In the meantime, I've been using the web client and have not had any issues whatsoever. I would recommend the web client as a temporary solution to anyone who is being affected by this issue.

19 hours ago, Matt Hartzell said:

I cannot believe this is happening so recently after Evernote decided their application had matured to the point where the web app was considered an additional device and I'd have to pay to realistically continue using the service.  

THE. THICK. CLIENT. IS. BROKEN.

How is the dev team not all-hands on deck for this issue?  If the applications I maintain as a professional software engineer were this broken for this long, I would have been fired.

I just signed up for a full year.  My expectations rise dramatically for a paid service vs a free one.  

Where is the fix for this issue?  

Like Matt, I'm also a software engineer. Something is not quite right with the QA process for this to be shipped out. There's no communication from any higher ups on some time estimates on this issue. You have to manage the users' expectations appropriately. Someone at Evernote needs to escalate this issue up the food chain. 

Edited by Khem
  • Like 1

I am still getting multiple issues with pages not loading. Mac OS Big Sur, Evernote 10.5.7. A couple of notes would not reload at all, until I rebooted completely. Have lost confidence in Evernote as a tool now. Ever since the last major update and still cannot get screenshots working, lost multiple tabs feature, and now lost the ability to insert a line across the page option. what’s going on?

This bug is extremely frustrating... Evernote is a great productivity product and I love it. But thinking of the time I have lost due to the bugs (and some weird removal of features) in this new version, I am very close to giving up on it. I am sure the development team is working hard to solve all the issues, but these are major bugs we are talking about, the version should have not been released like this. Installing a legacy version seems to be the only solution at this point.

Hi I just stopped my paid subscription until resolution.

This is totally inconvenient. Every time I change a notebook a crash is happening.

I encourage others to also stop paying, for the devs to focus on solution as priority.

Evernote uses electron which is of course a total ***** and insecure solution, but anyway we accept it for the consistency requirements. But making their consistency requirements create problems, we are the targets of the problems. This is total disrespect of evernote's trusted followers.

• Like 1

How did y'all mess this up so badly? Does anyone have any recommendations on software to migrate to? I've been a dedicated Evernote user for years, but this is unuable and it's clear they don't plan to fix it.

• Like 2