There is no ability to select an image in a note and then copy it into another application. It needs to be downloaded first. This is also true if you try to copy and paste an entire note containing images (for example to email it). Only the text is copied. Copy and paste is basic windows functionaility which should just work.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very interesting. Images can be copied from the browser/Web client by right-clicking and selecting copy image

Are you sure? Yes the option is there but if I use it and then paste into a Word document I get an empty box. I'm using Chrome.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Are you sure? Yes the option is there but if I use it and then paste into a Word document I get an empty box. I'm using Chrome.

Just checked on FireFox and yes it works on the Web Client version. You can save images by right clicking or dragging. Still cannot edit webclips and I am worried about what happens if the source link dies, does the note remain or does it vanish too?

14 minutes ago, JNester said:

You can save images by right clicking or dragging.

I can do that too. The issue is whether you can copy and paste an image without having to save it first. Dragging it to the desktop and then dragging it somewhere else is a good work around and actually works for the Windows version too. Unfortunately I can't drag the image directly into Word. 

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I can do that too. The issue is whether you can copy and paste an image without having to save it first. Dragging it to the desktop and then dragging it somewhere else is a good work around and actually works for the Windows version too. Unfortunately I can't drag the image directly into Word. 

Here's what I noticed, drag and drop works for the web version, but not the windows version. In the windows version when I drag and drop, it instead saves the link rather than the image.

8 minutes ago, JNester said:

Here's what I noticed, drag and drop works for the web version, but not the windows version. In the windows version when I drag and drop, it instead saves the link rather than the image.

Interesting. I'm not seeing any difference between the behaviour of the Windows and web versions.

In both I can drag and drop an image to the desktop or download the image using the context menu.

In neither of them can I copy and paste an image into another app (despite it appearing as an option in the web version) or drag and drop the image directly into another app (Word).

The drag and drop to the desktop is an OK short term workaround but I still think that copy and paste should just work (like it does in the legacy version). 

10 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Interesting. I'm not seeing any difference between the behaviour of the Windows and web versions.

In both I can drag and drop an image to the desktop or download the image using the context menu.

In neither of them can I copy and paste an image into another app (despite it appearing as an option in the web version) or drag and drop the image directly into another app (Word).

The drag and drop to the desktop is an OK short term workaround but I still think that copy and paste should just work (like it does in the legacy version). 

This is extremely weird. You are correct it does not work for me as well for notes with just images. But images in a webclip can be dragged on the web version and not on the windows version. I could copy and paste an image on the web version but not on the windows version. On the windows version I only get an option to paste.

I've not looked at images within webclips at all. All my comments above are for images added to a normal note.

Looking now at images in webclips I can drag and drop them onto my desktop from either the Windows or web version. Copy and pasting doesn't work  from either. So not really any different from images simply added to a note.

I'm done.  I'm literally taking screenshots of my screenshots saved on my Evernote pages in order to drop them into other docs (Word, etc.). Between this issue and the inability to create sub folders / hierarchies I'm going back to OneNote.  Sorry EN team, I really, really wanted to like this tool but I"m finding too many limitations.

• 10 months later...

Copying images from Evernote to use them in other Windows apps is not working for me neither on Web or Desktop (version 10.24.4-win-ddl-public -2893).

This is very frustrating since the only way to take images out seems to be through screenshots or downloading them, which is time consuming and not user-friendly at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert

THere seems to be a small improvement in v10.23 on Windows at least.  I can now right click an image, for example, and then paste it into a Word document.  Drag and Drop doesn't work but copy and paste seems to...

• 5 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 7:00 PM, agsteele said:

THere seems to be a small improvement in v10.23 on Windows at least.  I can now right click an image, for example, and then paste it into a Word document.  Drag and Drop doesn't work but copy and paste seems to...

Trying it now on 10.33.5. No dice.

• Evernote Expert

Yes, the function broke again in, I think, 10.25 for Windows.

It is an acknowledged issue. In the meantime dragging to a directory such the Desktop is the only way forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 3:12 AM, alvinpatrick said:

Trying it now on 10.33.5. No dice.

Same here.  I was wondering if it was a Windows 11 issue.  Getting tired of taking screenshots of screenshots to move images around.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, RLEhli said:

Same here.  I was wondering if it was a Windows 11 issue.  Getting tired of taking screenshots of screenshots to move images around.

It is not clear to me what this means.

The "classical" workaround was to grab the picture and drop it on the (virtual) windows desktop. Once it appears there, grab it again and move it to its final destination. Has this stopped working as well ?

Just noticed this (long time EN user, but never needed this until today.  Surprised and a bit disappointed that this has been going on for at least 2 years...

Edit: FWIW, I was able to copy from the browser version, but needed to paste as an image into Word...definitely not productive, but not storing files on the desktop that need to be deleted.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, kguske said:

Just noticed this (long time EN user, but never needed this until today.  Surprised and a bit disappointed that this has been going on for at least 2 years...

Hi.  If it's something you only just noticed that you actually needed,  the chances are that the issue (if it still exists) doesn't have a very high priority. 

According to a couple of commenters here though,  it is now quite possible to copy images from a note to another app.  If you're having specific problems,  full details of your setup and a description of exactly what is being tried and how it fails,  will help Support work out whether they need to take a closer look...

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If it's something you only just noticed that you actually needed,  the chances are that the issue (if it still exists) doesn't have a very high priority. 

According to a couple of commenters here though,  it is now quite possible to copy images from a note to another app.  If you're having specific problems,  full details of your setup and a description of exactly what is being tried and how it fails,  will help Support work out whether they need to take a closer look...

Unfortunately, since it forced me to find an alternate solution, it means I'll use EN less in the future.  Probably not the desired result.

So in the WIndows version 10.36.4-win-ddl-public (3377), copying an image does NOT copy the image to the clipboard as a standard Windows function.  So it's not possible to copy images from a note to another app in this version.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, kguske said:

So in the WIndows version 10.36.4-win-ddl-public (3377), copying an image does NOT copy the image to the clipboard as a standard Windows function.  So it's not possible to copy images from a note to another app in this version.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:14 AM, PinkElephant said:

The "classical" workaround was to grab the picture and drop it on the (virtual) windows desktop. Once it appears there, grab it again and move it to its final destination. Has this stopped working as well ?

Your choice to move on,  of course - but there always have been ways to get images out of notes even if a direct copy/ paste seems not to work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

… and nobody told to store any pictures on the desktop. We said „drop them there, pick them up again and place them to the destination“. 

The picture can be removed from the desktop right after this. Pretty good for a workaround, in my opinion. It would of course be better if the issue was solved.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the workaround suggestions, and I noticed them before in this and other threads.  EN is (or should be) about productivity, and workarounds like this are counterproductive.  Until this is fixed, I'll use other tools to capture screenshots without workarounds.

• Like 1