Keyboard Navigation: Display Notes when scrolling without having to hit 'Enter'

bishopblaize

Idea

I think this a bug and not a feature. If I select a note in the middle panel, it shows it in the right hand viewer. However if I then use the keyboard to navigate up and down the list of notes, it doesn't show me the corresponding note in the right hand pane. Gif attached in case this isnt explained well. I don't think its supposed to do this.

bug.thumb.gif.cf7fb2cf622bbf620dd44d2c1955da6e.gif

11 replies to this idea

I can confirm mine works the same way. Note that hitting enter will load whichever note has focus. I do think it's probably a design decision in order to make the app feel more responsive, but I'm not sure I love the decision.

Well its not a bug at least, but I can't imagine why it would be designed like this. To quickly scan through a list of notes I have to press down, enter, down, enter, down, enter, etc? That's double the number of clicks. Maybe chalk this one up as a design request then.

• Like 3
On 10/7/2020 at 7:49 PM, Nick L. said:

This is currently by design. After navigating to the note you want to open, press return/enter to view it. 

And, if I may ask, what is the rationale behind this design? Using two keystrokes to do he same operation? Or you have realized that the new EN implementation is too slow to allow loading the note every time?

In which scenario would I navigate though notes and not wanting to see the content? 

• Sad 1

Yes, please let us see the content of a note by scrolling up/down using the arrow keys in a list of notes. I often can't remember exactly which note is the one I'm looking for, so being able to browse with the arrow keys is a feature I use all the time. Now I either have to use the arrow key and then hit Enter, or click on each note individually to see what's in it.

• Level 5
On 10/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, Nick L. said:

This is currently by design. After navigating to the note you want to open, press return/enter to view it. 

Not clear if this "design" was for the benefit of the user or an unfortunate side-effect.

Scrolling though a list of notes and being able to have a preview of the page content is an important functionality. The whole beauty of EN is the ability to search through tons of material to find that obscure something that one knows is there. The EN 10 design is definitely a down-grade for me.

Please, Evernote. I thought this was a bug and it bothered me the first minute I opened evernote. Efficiency is so important with an app like this. I want Evernote to be The App, I even signed up for premium. But if this is not fixed, I might switch!