word count

What's the most current way to find the word count of a note? I tried searching for the answer and the most current topics I can find are from 2018 or older and the menu options they say to use no longer seem to be there. For example:

• Open a note, right-click in the note editor, and choose 'Word and Resource Counts' from the contextual menu.
  • Select a note and go to Note > Word and Resource Counts from the menu.
  • Select a note and enable the status bar by going to View > Show Status Bar from the menu. Word and character counts are visible in the status bar.

I don't see any "word and resource counts" in the menu when I right-click in the text. I don't see a "word and resource counts" under any menu I can find on the screen, and I don't see "view" or "show status bar" anywhere either. Have things changed and this is no longer relevant, or am I just like the Technologically Impaired Duck and missing an obvious button somewhere?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JosephDouzat said:

What's the most current way to find the word count of a note? I tried searching for the answer and the most current topics I can find are from 2018 or older and the menu options they say to use no longer seem to be there. For example:

• Open a note, right-click in the note editor, and choose 'Word and Resource Counts' from the contextual menu.
  • Select a note and go to Note > Word and Resource Counts from the menu.
  • Select a note and enable the status bar by going to View > Show Status Bar from the menu. Word and character counts are visible in the status bar.

I don't see any "word and resource counts" in the menu when I right-click in the text. I don't see a "word and resource counts" under any menu I can find on the screen, and I don't see "view" or "show status bar" anywhere either. Have things changed and this is no longer relevant, or am I just like the Technologically Impaired Duck and missing an obvious button somewhere?

Go to View and select Status bar.

Image.png.3c4d95fe4e300de2026c2eec7f76a37f.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, JosephDouzat said:

Maybe it's my browser then?

When you post in the Windows forum, you get Windows platform answers    
I moved the discussion to the web forum

• 11 months later...

I'm using the Windows version and both the "Status bar" option and the "Word and resource counts" are missing. Finally I found the word count in the "Show note information" (not sure about the English translation) menu option, but I hardly noticed it there.

image.png.e955279517465ad201141da932a6a324.png

I'm getting pissed with these "improvements". First remove the sync button and now remove the word count. Maybe Evernote should ask users which features they like, before removing them.

• Level 5

EN has communicated they will clean up the GUI, because it is a necessary step to align the clients. Each client pre v10 had a different GUI, not making it easier to switch between platforms.

If you now say, well, lets change all the other clients, to follow the Windows client, you should be aware that the old Windows client 6.25 was the oldest, least advanced among all clients before v10. IMHO hardly an example for modern software !

So better prepare for more changes, and be happy if you find the features at all.

• 10 months later...

Try using online services for word and character counts. I work as a journalist and editor. Most of my work consists of writing articles and editing other people's. One of the main conditions and rules of working as an editor is to keep track of the article's volume and adjust (increase or decrease) the volume of the written text. I used to use automatic word count in Word. The information provided by this service is relatively narrow. I need to know the number of words and characters and the number of sentences, paragraphs, and pages. I use https://wordcounter.ai/ for these purposes. Sometimes I need to check the number of words in a particular line. This service copes with any task.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As posted above the word and character counts are permanently available in note information.

Online services request to export the text, have it counted and then continue editing to bring the text into the target numbers.

On my Mac I use a little helper app called PopClip. Beside many other features, it shows the word and character count of any text I highlight. Very useful !

• 1 year later...