View-Left Panel (F10) option does not work any more!

View -> Left Panel (F10) is NOT working any more.

I am using Evernote 6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) on my Win 10 Dell XPS 13 9380 laptop.

Nothing happens when I click that option or press the F10 hotkey, it just stays un-ticked. Rebooted laptop, no luck :(

Please let me know how do I get it back working again?

I am running the same version as you on Win 10 and I am not having any issues.  Maybe re-install the program?  Are you aware of any changes that were made (system updates, etc) since it stopped working?  

• Level 5*

Also works fine for me, same version. Does the menu command (View / Left Panel) still work? Is there a possibility that some other program has hijacked the F10 key using a global Windows shortcut?

1 hour ago, Angelo said:

I am running the same version as you on Win 10 and I am not having any issues.  Maybe re-install the program?  Are you aware of any changes that were made (system updates, etc) since it stopped working?  

No..i just installed it fresh in my new laptop and its not working since then...i will re-install and check.

45 minutes ago, jefito said:

Also works fine for me, same version. Does the menu command (View / Left Panel) still work? Is there a possibility that some other program has hijacked the F10 key using a global Windows shortcut?

No the menu command does not work. I just installed evernote fresh in my new laptop so pretty sure we can rule out the hijack thing by other program.

Very odd - do any of the other options under the view menu work (e.g. Note List)? 

To further clarify, the left panel won't collapse for you, but it does respond when clicking items within it such as notebooks and tags?

• Level 5*

If the menu command doesn't work, then that points to something deeper. I'd look in the registry for the Evernote settings; should be somewhere like: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote. In there, look at the "LeftPaneWidth" to see if that's out of sorts. Mind if 240 decimal F0 hex.If I shut down Evernote, set it to 0, and restart, I see the same thing happening as you.

Wild guess I know, but perhaps there is a minimum display size needed to show the left panel that your laptop's screen's smaller than. You could try changing the screen resolution to show more screen real estate to rule it out.

3 hours ago, onlytanmoy said:

No the menu command does not work. I just installed evernote fresh in my new laptop so pretty sure we can rule out the hijack thing by other program.

If there is no other program installed in your new laptop, I would look at the WIndows 10 global hotkeys, I had to disable them to fix some hotkey conflicts before.  This link might help with that: https://windowsreport.com/disable-keyboard-shortcuts-windows-8/#2

Had exactly the same problem (almost identical setup: Evernote 6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750), Dell XPS 13, model 9360). Evernote worked fine this afternoon, but suddenly this evening the left panel had disappeared and the "View/Left Panel" option didn't work. No obvious trigger for why it suddenly didn't work -- hadn't changed anything on machine, nothing had updated that I know of. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it worked. Annoying bug, now waiting for thousands of notes to re-sync.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any fix for this? I'm in the same situation -- brand new XPS 13 machine, and cannot select option to view left panel using either the menu or F10. This makes Evernote virtually unusable for me. Already tried: Uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing - did not work.

When I was there, we had this report come up several times. But we could never recreate the situation. It's something weird with machine configuration, registry settings, DPI settings, something, other things, etc. Oh, and the phase of the moon. (I did actually have it happen once on my dev machine. Couldn't get it to do it again...)

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, dcon said:

When I was there, we had this report come up several times. But we could never recreate the situation. It's something weird with machine configuration, registry settings, DPI settings, something, other things, etc. Oh, and the phase of the moon. (I did actually have it happen once on my dev machine. Couldn't get it to do it again...)

Intermittents/non-reproducibles are ~~The Best~~!!

image.png.50941605023bdfb210780c31f32bbcb1.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem solved by itself in my XPS 13.

Some of the updates, from Dell, Windows or Evernote do it in my laptop.
Make sure you have all the latest drivers and update from these tree vendors.

Good luck

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

SAME PROBLEM HERE - BUT HERE IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

legacy evernote not displaying left panel -- same problem here. has happened to me twice

F10 won't display left panel, view menu checkmark won't work either to allow you to view left pane

have restarted, rebooted, etc etc. no dice.

TL;DR: here is what I did: kill all evernote background processes, change text/app size in display resolution settings to smaller value like 200% and restarting evernote fixed the problem somehow, then just change text/app setting to normal recommended value and the fix sticks

Background:
I recently moved from windows 7 to windows 10 and found a lot of legacy apps weren't displaying properly mainly because they weren't recognizing the enhanced resolutions of new displays.

i found that some utility apps i used like "launchy" would be tiny unusable icons.  some enterprising developers developed workaround icons and apps to work around these issues.

after reading the plethora of stuck invisible left panels comments (distracting me from the more woeful comments about evernote version 10)  i wondered if display resolution was a problem with legacy evernotes left panel problem.

So here is what i did.

1) quit all versions of evernote

2) make sure there are no instances of evernote running in the background using either windows native task manager or other tools like resource monitor or dos third party tools like pskill.

3) go to display resolution and change size of apps from 300% (which my settings say is "recommended") to something smaller (I used 200%)

4) everything will now be tiny tiny and nigh unusable, but this is only a temporary step

5) now start legacy evernote  -- i now see a full left panel with all notes/tags -- i can even resize the panel with the left/right arrows at the RH border of the left panel. -- so all fixed but too tiny to be workable

6) now go back to display resolution settings and change back to recommended level (mine says 300%)

7) the fix sticks.

this worked for me on a thinkpad x1 carbon running windows 7 version 2004 build 19041 and evernote legacy version. Note I also have the hated version 10 of evernote running parallel. I just make sure all versions of evernote are killed before changing resolution. 

note: the first time this happened i changed both the resolution to something old-fashioned like 1024x768 and text size of 200% but wasn't sure if one or the other fixed the problem.  The second time, i simply changed the text size as mentioned above and it fixed the issue for me.  why did the problem resurrect itself. I'm guessing a windows update while the laptop was asleep as a lot of things were amiss when i woke the laptop up yesterday, but hadn't noticed the evernote left panel problem had re-occured until today.

hope this helps someone as i know your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2020 at 4:31 PM, jrgreensboro said:

SAME PROBLEM HERE - BUT HERE IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

legacy evernote not displaying left panel -- same problem here. has happened to me twice

F10 won't display left panel, view menu checkmark won't work either to allow you to view left pane

have restarted, rebooted, etc etc. no dice.

TL;DR: here is what I did: kill all evernote background processes, change text/app size in display resolution settings to smaller value like 200% and restarting evernote fixed the problem somehow, then just change text/app setting to normal recommended value and the fix sticks

Background:
I recently moved from windows 7 to windows 10 and found a lot of legacy apps weren't displaying properly mainly because they weren't recognizing the enhanced resolutions of new displays.

i found that some utility apps i used like "launchy" would be tiny unusable icons.  some enterprising developers developed workaround icons and apps to work around these issues.

after reading the plethora of stuck invisible left panels comments (distracting me from the more woeful comments about evernote version 10)  i wondered if display resolution was a problem with legacy evernotes left panel problem.

So here is what i did.

1) quit all versions of evernote

2) make sure there are no instances of evernote running in the background using either windows native task manager or other tools like resource monitor or dos third party tools like pskill.

3) go to display resolution and change size of apps from 300% (which my settings say is "recommended") to something smaller (I used 200%)

4) everything will now be tiny tiny and nigh unusable, but this is only a temporary step

5) now start legacy evernote  -- i now see a full left panel with all notes/tags -- i can even resize the panel with the left/right arrows at the RH border of the left panel. -- so all fixed but too tiny to be workable

6) now go back to display resolution settings and change back to recommended level (mine says 300%)

7) the fix sticks.

this worked for me on a thinkpad x1 carbon running windows 7 version 2004 build 19041 and evernote legacy version. Note I also have the hated version 10 of evernote running parallel. I just make sure all versions of evernote are killed before changing resolution. 

note: the first time this happened i changed both the resolution to something old-fashioned like 1024x768 and text size of 200% but wasn't sure if one or the other fixed the problem.  The second time, i simply changed the text size as mentioned above and it fixed the issue for me.  why did the problem resurrect itself. I'm guessing a windows update while the laptop was asleep as a lot of things were amiss when i woke the laptop up yesterday, but hadn't noticed the evernote left panel problem had re-occured until today.

hope this helps someone as i know your mileage may vary.

I've been waiting *so* long for a solution to this one.  Thank you, @jrgreensboro!