How to create Windows 7 desktop shortcut to a single existing note

*sigh* Why has Evernote always made it so hard to create a standard window desktop shortcut? 
For a while, you could, if you learned the secret arcane ritual;

Open Evernote (duh)
Select Note in list on left. 
Activate the context menu (right-click)
(here's the secret) Hold CTRL while selecting Note Link in the context menu. It takes the form of File:\\\evernote\path\long string (If I recall) 
Create (or re-use) an Evernote shortcut and paste that local file URL link into the shortcut Properties. 

Now there's no Note Link. It's been replaced with Copy Internal Link. Which, to my mind, sounds like it would do exactly what I want. But NOoooooo. It's generates an EXTERNAL link to the Evernote web interface. Clearly they want to push us onto the web (this and many other indications) Why does Evernote hate Windows?

Honestly, if it weren't for the major upgrades to the Table functionality in the 6.6.6. release, I'd be looking elsewhere for note management. I don't need or want all kind of bullshit business bloatware and other extraneous features. I don't need this to polish my cat. Just organize my info. 

So, is there a way to generate a LOCAL Windows URL to a particular note? Not a *search*. Not some other silliness workaround (I mean, I have to..) 

Extra bonus points: (rhetorical question - companies never divulge their company-centric, damn the customer, design decisions) -- Why was this REMOVED?!

• Level 5*
On 8/2/2017 at 7:49 PM, Lord Bear said:

is there a way to generate a LOCAL Windows URL to a particular note? 

There are two types of note links

• browser (https://)
  • in-app (evernote:///view/)

You can force the internal link; CTRL sounds good but someone else should confirm (I’m a Mac person)

Without CTRL, the link copy is pasted as

• Within Evernote app: internal
  • Outside Evernote: browser
7 hours ago, jefito said:

Yikes! Demon spawn!! This is a version that cannot be.

Actual current version, now in GA, is 6.6.4.

He's right. It's 6.6.4 in release. My mistake. 

in MyNote > menu "Note" > menu choice "Internal Link" > paste to Notepad with "https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2..." format

in MyNote > menu "Note" > menu choice CTRL-"Internal Link" > paste to Notepad with "https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2..." format

in WindowsDesktopApp 6.6.4; MyNote selected in nav pane. 
* Right-click on note body, no context menu choice for link here
* Right-click on note name "MyNote" in nav pane to get context menu; click on "Copy Internal Link" same results
* Right-click on note name "MyNote" in nav pane to get context menu; right-click on "Copy Internal Link" same results
* Right-click on note name "MyNote" in nav pane to get context menu; CTRL-click on "Copy Internal Link" same results

Those are all the locations and combinations I tried. 

• Level 5*

Well, there's a way to do it, sort of, but you may not like it. You'll need to use the Evernote ENScript command line program (see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php#enscript), and specifically the 'showNotes' command. Essentially what showNotes does is displays a set of notes that match an Evernote search in the Evernote application. So to go to a single note, all you'd need to do is identify that note uniquely, say, by using a unique tag, and then make a Windows shortcut that invokes ENScript with the appropriate query string, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes -q "tag:XYZZY"

This works for general Evernote searches as well, so you could also select a group of notes this way, as well.

• Level 5

So, @jefito, are you saying that indeed v. 6.6 no longer creates evernote:/// links when using Ctrl + the command to copy a link? If so, that's a serious bug (or if it's a feature it's a terrible idea).

@Lord Bear, it's possible that somehow the code that should have been attached to the Ctrl + command was replaced with the plain command code, if that makes sense. In any case, it really does sound like a bug to me, and if you're a Premium customer you should probably contact Support.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So, @jefito, are you saying that indeed v. 6.6 no longer creates evernote:/// links when using Ctrl + the command to copy a link? If so, that's a serious bug (or if it's a feature it's a terrible idea).

I'm not saying any such thing; I don't use note links outside of Evernote, so I can't speak about history of their particular behaviors. My suggestion is just another way of approaching the problem, which may not be so well known, and is also more general.

I can tell you, because I just tested it, that you can create both types of link (evernote:::/view/... and https://www.evernote.com/shard/...) in 6.6, and they both seem to do the appriate thing, at least when pasted into a file in NotePad++: the former goes to the note in the Evernote client, and the latter goes to the web.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, jefito said:

I can tell you, because I just tested it, that you can create both types of link (evernote:::/view/... and https://www.evernote.com/shard/...) in 6.6, and they both seem to do the appriate thing, at least when pasted into a file in NotePad++: the former goes to the note in the Evernote client, and the latter goes to the web

OK, thanks, that's what I wanted to know. For @Lord Bear, this seems to confirm that there's an issue in your Evernote installation, not in EN itself, since @jefito can get it to work in 6.6. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling (after syncing and backing up local notebooks; and assuming you've already tried File > Exit and/or a computer reboot and this hasn't fixed it).

Welp, this is fun. Now it's working for me. I've fiddled with it off and on for a couple of weeks, but only now, after y'all's input, it works. Um, thanks? :)

(Select in List, normal right-click on "Copy Internal Link" and then CTRL-click to generate the /evernote/ local link. )

Of course, now I could proceed to chant the "User Delusion" response; I SWEAR I didn't change anything! LOL 

I've been in IT/tech for 25+ years and I still sometimes can't figure out what I was doing wrong -- which is my intellectual/scientific assumption. The rest of me is all "Freakin' Gremlins. How they love to torment me!" :)

• Level 5

Glad it's working again! Whatever you do, don't look this gift horse in the mouth. (Even thought it's really your own horse that somehow mysteriously came back.)

I remember reading long ago that one of the most basic principles in computer design from the earliest days was repeatability (or whatever it's called), that the machine, given the same inputs, will do the same thing every time. I wonder when they quit doing that.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I remember reading long ago that one of the most basic principles in computer design from the earliest days was repeatability (or whatever it's called), that the machine, given the same inputs, will do the same thing every time. I wonder when they quit doing that.

Something to do with how you hold your mouth and which foot is touching the floor are involved.  ;)

On 8/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, Lord Bear said:

(Select in List, normal right-click on "Copy Internal Link" and then CTRL-click to generate the /evernote/ local link. )

This works for me too.  However, it's a major usability failure, because there's now no way to generate an evernote local link via the keyboard, where in previous versions there was.  Why not?

In prior versions, you could Ctrl-click OR add Ctrl to the keyboard shortcut to get the evernote local link.  But now, the "Copy Internal Link" keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+L, so you are already holding the Ctrl key - hence, you can't add the Ctrl key when using the keyboard shortcut!  Oops.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:32 AM, gazumped said:

Ctrl + Alt + L ?

I would swear I tried that and it would only give me the "http:....shard" link. But I just tried it again, and it gave me the evernote: link. Of course, looking at the right-click menu (see attached image), you can understand why I would think it wouldn't work - it says that Ctrl + Alt + L will "Copy Internal Link", which is the http:...shard" link.

But still, this just means there's no keyboard way to generate that link.

Image.png

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Rob Freundlich said:

But still, this just means there's no keyboard way to generate that link.

Workaround.  Using PhraseExpress or the like you can create your own hotkey of <Alt-N><Down 4> <Enter>.  This will copy the link of the note in focus to the clipboard.  Not native to EN for sure, but it does do the job.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.2bcf5144f9e9cb66c044d8c21522af2a.png

Archived