All attached files suddenly disappeared !

Hello,

Big problem here ! This morning, on several different notes, all of the attached files (jpg, pdf) suddenly disappeared. I obviously didn't do anything to that effect. They just all disappeared. There were dozens of attached files. Can someone please explain this and is there a way to get them all back ? It would be a huge waste of time to go and re-upload all of these files...

Is that something that happens with Evernote ? Has anyone already experienced this ?

• Level 5*

Hi.  No,  it's not a normal occurrence.  Are you using an installed version of the app or Evernote web via a browser?  What version of Evernote,  what device?  I'd suggest you check your account via Evernote.com and a web browser if that wasn't already in use,  to see if the changes (if that's what they were) have synced back to the server. 

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Evernote on a Mac, version 6.9. I'm also using it on my iPhone (but I haven't in a long time).

I checked my account on the Evernote website and it is the same. The attached files have disappeared on the website too.

What do you suggest that I do ? Is there a way to get everything back the way it was ?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

OK - don't know why your attachments should suddenly disappear.  If you are a paying user I'd recommend you contact support - if not try tweeting @EvernoteHelps.  If your attachments have been in place for more than 24 hours,  they'll be in Note History,  which is a premium feature,  but it may be worth upgrading for one month to get the data back quickly while Evernote sort out why this happened.

Random other thought - have a look for 'conflicting changes' notes / in your Trash notebook / have a search for notes with the same title as your lost data one(s) - maybe there's another copy of this note out there with the full data set.

Usual stable-door comment - us 'seasoned' users trust Evernote,  but we always keep local backups..  if you have one,  the attachments should also bee available from there..

Good luck!

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, JPAllain said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Evernote on a Mac, version 6.9. I'm also using it on my iPhone (but I haven't in a long time).

I checked my account on the Evernote website and it is the same. The attached files have disappeared on the website too.

What do you suggest that I do ? Is there a way to get everything back the way it was ?

I have an issue with images disappearing, and have opened ticket 1837099
Its currently being looked at by the technical support team.

As to recovering lost attachments, I have Note History in my personal backups.
Evernote also maintains a note history, a feature for paid accounts 

Same issue here. Been happing since MacOS upgrade. Frequency ~5x a day. Attachments (and in some cases content) in notes that I've recently opened (both new and old notes and attachments) simply are vanishing! For now able to get them back by recovering old version of the note but something appears to be seriously wrong.

• Level 5*
On 2016-09-28 at 6:18 AM, DTLow said:

I have an issue with images disappearing, and have opened ticket 1837099
Its currently being looked at by the technical support team.

This is the response from support

I understand you've encountered an issue where data has been missing from certain notes on Evernote for Mac.

We've released an updated version of Evernote for Mac today, 6.9.1, to resolve this. Please open Evernote and navigate to **Evernote > Check for updates…** to get this latest version. If you are using the Mac App Store version of Evernote, this new release has been submitted for approval with Apple, and is estimated at being available for download from the App Store next week.

Installing Evernote 6.9.1 will prevent this issue from happening from now on, but it will not retroactively restore the notes that have missing content. For those notes, please use [note history](https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858) to restore them.

If you have a Time Machine or similar backup from before the content went missing, I can assist you with retrieval steps to try and restore the content from a previous date.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,
Jeff B.

Evernote

Karin - Sep 30
Hi David,

Our development team has been able to identify and fix the issue you are experiencing with images being removed from your notes. Please use the instructions below to reinstall to a special update of Evernote for Mac:

1. If Evernote is running, press **Command + Q** to quit the Evernote app
2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
3. Right-click (or **Ctrl + Click**) on the Trash and select **Empty Trash**
4. Restart your computer
5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from http://bit.ly/EN6-9-1
6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

You can also recover any missing images using [note history](https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history).

Please do let me know if the issue persists after updating (or if there is anything else I can do for you).

Kind regards,
Karin

I found today that after upgrading to Version 6.9.1 (454120 Direct), parts of notes are not showing-up. In my case it's screenshots that I've pasted in.

I can see the attachments on the web, so guess I'll try the process noted above.

I'd wait for a while to see if this gets fixed. For now and in good measure, I'm closing everything. It's being removed from the web version as well, so the better thing is not to sync for a couple of days to see if this gets solved!

THIS PLAIN AND SIMPLE MEANS IF YOU'RE NOT A PREMIUM USER THERE'S NO BACKLOG OF YOUR NOTES HERE.

I'M NOT WASTING MY TIME ANYMORE, I'LL FIND SOME OTHER WAY TO MAKE MY NOTES.

AND, SO YOU KNOW, WHAT YOU CHARGE FOR EVERNOTE PLUS IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY OUTSIDE US. AT LEAST I EXPECT TO HAVE A WAY TO RETRIEVE MY DATA SHOULD DISASTER STRIKE, BUT NO, THERE'S NO WAY TO MAKE A HARD COPY OF ANYTHING ON EVERNOTE, UNLESS YOU MAIL YOURSELF ALL OF YOUR NOTES ON A DAILY, WEEKLY BASIS, AND AS THAT, THEY CAN'T BE EDITED.

hace 14 horas, DTLow dijo:

This is the response from support

I understand you've encountered an issue where data has been missing from certain notes on Evernote for Mac.

We've released an updated version of Evernote for Mac today, 6.9.1, to resolve this. Please open Evernote and navigate to **Evernote > Check for updates…** to get this latest version. If you are using the Mac App Store version of Evernote, this new release has been submitted for approval with Apple, and is estimated at being available for download from the App Store next week.

Installing Evernote 6.9.1 will prevent this issue from happening from now on, but it will not retroactively restore the notes that have missing content. For those notes, please use [note history](https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858) to restore them.

If you have a Time Machine or similar backup from before the content went missing, I can assist you with retrieval steps to try and restore the content from a previous date.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,
Jeff B.

Evernote

Karin - Sep 30
Hi David,

Our development team has been able to identify and fix the issue you are experiencing with images being removed from your notes. Please use the instructions below to reinstall to a special update of Evernote for Mac:

1. If Evernote is running, press **Command + Q** to quit the Evernote app
2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
3. Right-click (or **Ctrl + Click**) on the Trash and select **Empty Trash**
4. Restart your computer
5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from http://bit.ly/EN6-9-1
6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

You can also recover any missing images using [note history](https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313858-How-to-access-and-use-note-history).

Please do let me know if the issue persists after updating (or if there is anything else I can do for you).

Kind regards,
Karin

This whole thing started 3 days ago on a PC. So it's not a system related problem but a cross platform problem. I had old notes sync on top of new ones. What history can undo that?

Ah, that funcionality is only for Premium users. Lost customer and lawsuit on the way here. You have NO IDEA how important the lost notes were, but plus users are expendable.

• Level 5*

I know it's of no use or consolation to anyone who has already lost data,  but if you were not already in the habit of keeping a local backup of your Evernote database,  now sounds a really good time to start.

If you're using any form of electronic device,  your data is only safe as long as everything continues to work perfectly.  Servers,  Network connections and hard drives (including SSDs) can stop working at the least convenient of times.  In fact that's usually the moment they choose.  I've had several hard drives fail in the past,  and (mostly) have been able to save my data from loss because I had a regular full system backup running.  If you value your data,  it's worth taking some steps.

There are numerous full system backup products available,  and Evernote data can be backed up independently - a web search will give you lots of hints on how...

Just for the record,  Basic and Plus users will still have regular History copies of their notes recorded on the server from the day the account was opened.  To access them,  you do need to be a Premium user - even if only for a month or so.

Evernote do take loss and corruption of data very seriously,  and I've no doubt they're working feverishly in the background trying to work out what exactly is going on here.  I'd recommend anyone who can,  to contact support to register their particular issue. 

They've already published one fix - see above.  If that doesn't work for you,  Evernote will need examples to run down exactly what's happening - the more examples they get,  the quicker this will be fixed.  And being flooded with support requests on this particular issue will help emphasise how important and urgent it is that they do so.

So far as we know this is a Mac-only problem affecting Evernote 6.9.0 users - though if you also look at your data on a Windows PC,  you'll see the effect of the Mac problem synced onto your device too.

Hi everyone,

I've posted an update on this issue here:

Thanks for taking a look and for everyone's patience through this, I definitely understand how frustrating this issue is. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am glad I found this post to find out about the issue. I was having this problem for a few days of having some of my notes missing data (PDF or excel). It would be just a few - I would locate it and fix it but it kept on happening to new data. Only 2 or 3 at a time would have an issue. 

Now that I have loaded the newer version as mentioned in this post, it has stopped this behavior and also I got back the last batch of files that were missing. (I saw them on the server) so I knew they were still there. For me it appeared it would not find it on the client side. 

Anyway, glad it back on track for me anyway, thanks for having it fixed so fast Evernote. I am still very happy with the product! I will be coming I hope to your event on Wed for users to learn about tips on using at your office in Redwood City. 

I just wish there was a easy way to save the files on the mac for more peace of mind like on windows with a .enex extension, my 2 cents anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/9/2016 at 9:41, gazumped dijo:

OK - don't know why your attachments should suddenly disappear.  If you are a paying user I'd recommend you contact support - if not try tweeting @EvernoteHelps.  If your attachments have been in place for more than 24 hours,  they'll be in Note History,  which is a premium feature,  but it may be worth upgrading for one month to get the data back quickly while Evernote sort out why this happened.

Random other thought - have a look for 'conflicting changes' notes / in your Trash notebook / have a search for notes with the same title as your lost data one(s) - maybe there's another copy of this note out there with the full data set.

Usual stable-door comment - us 'seasoned' users trust Evernote,  but we always keep local backups..  if you have one,  the attachments should also bee available from there..

Good luck!

TELL ME, SERIOUSLY, HOW THE HELL DO YOU KEEP BACKUPS OF SYNC NOTEBOOKS? WHEN THE NOTEBOOK IS LOCAL CAN BE BACKED UP, BUT WHEN IT'S SYNCED IT CAN'T. STOP CONFUSING PEOPLE AND MAKING THEM FEEL IDIOTIC. THEY'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG.

• Level 5
32 minutes ago, Susana said:

TELL ME, SERIOUSLY, HOW THE HELL DO YOU KEEP BACKUPS OF SYNC NOTEBOOKS? WHEN THE NOTEBOOK IS LOCAL CAN BE BACKED UP, BUT WHEN IT'S SYNCED IT CAN'T. STOP CONFUSING PEOPLE AND MAKING THEM FEEL IDIOTIC. THEY'VE DONE NOTHING WRONG.

Well, syncing means keeping two versions of data in sync, doesn't it? If you use a desktop client on Mac or Windows all data are first on your machine and you can use Evernote without an internet connection even for the notebooks that are meant to be synced. A local backup will store all data and not only the local notebooks. The difference between synced and local notebooks is that local notebooks are not synced to the Evernote Servers. Only when using the Web client there is no local copy of the data except some data in your browser cache. With the Web client you directly access the data on the Evernote Servers. The premium feature 'note history' is a backup of the synced notes on the Evernote servers.

I hope this helps to understand Gazumped response better.

And please, be aware that this is a user forum. I understand your frustration but Evernote users are not responsible for problems with Evernote.

hace 6 minutos, Stuhrer dijo:

Well, syncing means keeping two versions of data in sync, doesn't it? If you use a desktop client on Mac or Windows all data are first on your machine and you can use Evernote without an internet connection even for the notebooks that are meant to be synced. A local backup will store all data and not only the local notebooks. The difference between synced and local notebooks is that local notebooks are not synced to the Evernote Servers. Only when using the Web client there is no local copy of the data except some data in your browser cache. With the Web client you directly access the data on the Evernote Servers. The premium feature 'note history' is a backup of the synced notes on the Evernote servers.

And please, be aware that this is a user forum. I understand your frustration but Evernote users are not responsible for problems with Evernote.

No, but most of you answer things that YOU think are correct and to the person that asks makes no difference.

You think that because it didn't happen to you the other person is unfit or moronic (why not say it!).

So the problem here is not the program, but the "evernote gurus" giving wrong advice.

• Level 5
10 minutes ago, Susana said:

No, but most of you answer things that YOU think are correct and to the person that asks makes no difference.

You think that because it didn't happen to you the other person is unfit or moronic (why not say it!).

So the problem here is not the program, but the "evernote gurus" giving wrong advice.

Sorry, but I see no evidence that anything you claim here is correct.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Susana said:

...So the problem here is not the program, but the "evernote gurus" giving wrong advice.

Nothing I posted was incorrect,  and neither @Stuhrer or I said that we'd never lost information or thought badly of any user who had done so.  One reason why I keep backups is that I've lost count of how many hard drives I've replaced,  and files that I've lost in some internet black hole.  There are several 'gurus' around,  and if one of us says something dumb,  the others will comment.

If you'd like some expert help to try to recover lost data,  you could - as suggested - contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

hace 1 minuto, gazumped dijo:

Nothing I posted was incorrect,  and neither @Stuhrer or I said that we'd never lost information or thought badly of any user who had done so.  One reason why I keep backups is that I've lost count of how many hard drives I've replaced,  and files that I've lost in some internet black hole.  There are several 'gurus' around,  and if one of us says something dumb,  the others will comment.

If you'd like some expert help to try to recover lost data,  you could - as suggested - contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

The only time I ever lost anything to the cloud is here. My Dropbox is 10 years old, and my Drive 6. Both hold my ebook and complete phone photo library. None was lost. EVER.

As for hard drive failure, get your own WD Personal Cloud and your days of losing data are over. Spotty connections, connecting in another country, nothing ever really hit me until this happened.

Don't worry, I hold no more sync notes again. 

hace 36 minutos, Stuhrer dijo:

Any good program would normally save the content automatically to a local storage. Evernote relies on the cloud, so leaves no traces until you MANUALLY back up. AND, until not long ago, you couldn't do local notebooks, so if your notebooks came from a while back (I've been a user since 2011, paying user since 2014) you simply couldn't. I tried. I scouted every possibility to back up or have a hard copy on my notebook. The only way was sending to yourself by email. 

Certainly that changed, but nothing on the notes was said.

And the data loss shouldn't have happened in the first place. My Drive has 15GB for free storage, but here for 1GB you have to pay 3.99. Don't you think it's a little steep?

And no, I beleive in paying for services you use, seemingly, this one (and their users) are paying more and getting less...

• Level 5
51 minutes ago, Susana said:

Any good program would normally save the content automatically to a local storage. Evernote relies on the cloud, so leaves no traces until you MANUALLY back up. AND, until not long ago, you couldn't do local notebooks, so if your notebooks came from a while back (I've been a user since 2011, paying user since 2014) you simply couldn't.

Hi, I think you still did not completely understand the difference between local and synced notebooks when using desktop clients (on Mac or Windows). Local notebooks are present only on your machine whereas synced notebooks are present on your machine and on Evernote servers. So relying on local notebooks is actually more dangerous than using synced notebooks. The problem with synced notebooks is in most cases not pure data loss but data loss due to a sync problem which results in overwriting locally changed data with older note versions from the Evernote servers or vice versa. Local notebooks don't have this problem but they are also not backed-up until you manually do this.

1 hour ago, Susana said:

My Drive has 15GB for free storage, but here for 1GB you have to pay 3.99. Don't you think it's a little steep?

I think you compare apples with oranges here. 1 GB is for monthly upload to an unlimited amount of data. My Evernote account size is steadily growing and could grow by 12GB per year if I used the 1 GB per month. 15GB free storage is the maximum amount.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-03 at 11:13, kramme said:

I just wish there was a easy way to save the files on the mac for more peace of mind like on windows with a .enex extension, my 2 cents anyway.

In case no one replied on this, I use a Mac and it has the same export features as Windows.

I backup my data with both html and enex exports

Archived