Penultimate Update?

Theo1231231

Idea

I'm simply wondering if Penultimate has been left alone, or if they're working on a major update with all this refreshing they're doing? 

I used to use Penultimate every day with my iPad Pro/Apple Pencil. It's obviously the best handwritten-note app to use with Evernote, but I'm afraid to get back into it because they haven't updated it in about a year. Is this being let go in an effort to "refocus?"

• Like 1

16 replies to this idea

What a shame. Drawings in Evernote just don’t cut it. I love writing in a sketch book, then rearrange pages or copy and paste items. Rearranging stuff on a single page is a pain in Evernote.

I know that Notability is head and shoulders above Penultimate — but it does not cooperate with Evernote as smoothly. And without Penultimate, Evernote itself will not stay much longer.

So please, get your act together, Evernote! 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, tboettiger said:

I know that Notability is head and shoulders above Penultimate — but it does not cooperate with Evernote as smoothly.

Notability works well for me.
No integration with Evernote; I just use the IOS share menu to save the document to Evernote.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Notability works well for me.
No integration with Evernote; I just use the IOS share menu to save the document to Evernote.

That’s what I meant: with Notability you have to share. In Penultimate I just make changes and close the book. No need for the extra step. Evernote updates automatically. 

• Evernote Expert

We havent heard of it for a while now. I guess that at some point, functionlity of Penultimate will be brought into the inbuilt Evernote ( as they did for Skitch and killed it eventually). Its sad, but there is enough chaos for the main app itself, but even if it is brought around, i dont think it would give the same feel as the native app. 

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

I guess that at some point, functionlity of Penultimate will be brought into the inbuilt Evernote

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

• Level 5

The app was purchased years ago and never got real attention. Other handwriting apps are lightyears ahead. The only feature that speaks for Penultimate is its integration into EN. That's it. It does not generate any revenue for EN.

Now just look at the update history. What do you expect ? A major update ...

Disclaimer: EN rarely comments on their future developments. It might happen that I am proven wrong - but I will sleep well over this thought.

Kind people here recommended Notability, and that's the app I use now. It integrates with many apps, Google Drive among them, So I write on the IPad and the notes are on my laptop and desktops instantly. 

Penultimate had great potential.  Out of 8500 "notes" I have, 500 were written on Penultimate, mostly math notes/problems. RIP, PE. (Still an Evernote user for the other 90%+ of my stuff)

• Like 3
On 3/31/2022 at 12:58 AM, JoeTaxpayer said:

Kind people here recommended Notability, and that's the app I use now. It integrates with many apps, Google Drive among them, So I write on the IPad and the notes are on my laptop and desktops instantly. 

Penultimate had great potential.  Out of 8500 "notes" I have, 500 were written on Penultimate, mostly math notes/problems. RIP, PE. (Still an Evernote user for the other 90%+ of my stuff)

Noteshelf is the best replacement for Penultimate as it is the only other handwriting app with automatic synchronisation to Evernote. It actually works exactly the same as Penultimate - creates protected notes in Evernote that reflect every change in Noteshelf.

• Level 5

If syncing is a major issue, then it is Penultimate or Noteshelf.

Personally I think there is more to handwriting apps than syncing with EN. I use GoodNotes 5, syncing through iCloud over devices, with a MacOS client as well. I can export as pdf to EN, including the search index GoodNotes is building.

Because the look & feel is different, I think anybody should try some handwriting apps, and pick the one that works best for yourself. Good apps from my view are GoodNotes, Notability, Noteshelf and MyScript Nebo. No, Penultimate is not on my shortlist …

• Like 1

Today came the second update in a few weeks time period. No changes whatsoever, just "error fixing", probably needed for working with new Evernote versions. But I still wonder why they invest resources in this otherwise dead app and not pull it entirely. I always thought the reason might be a long time contract with Adonit about support for their Jot Script Pen, but this product does not even exist anymore. Still very strange to see a special support for this no longer existing pen in the app while not really supporting Apple Pencil 1 or 2.

• Level 5

EN purchased AFAIK the company and the app some years ago. Maybe there is still some residual value in the EN balance sheet, somewhere in the „goodwill“ section.

If you stop the app, you need to write it off.

Just my 5ct …