Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
SeniorShizzle

Templates should retain tags

Idea

I love the new templates feature—I've been looking forward to it for a while!

When creating a new note from a template, metadata is not retained. Specifically, tags saved onto the template are not added to the new note.

This seems like an oversight to me, since templated notes are likely to have many tags in common. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 replies to this idea

Personally, I manage my templates using a collection of notes and the duplicate note feature.  Tags and title are maintained.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeniorShizzle said:

since templated notes are likely to have many tags in common. 

I strongly agree.  Tags assigned to a template should be also assigned to the note created from the template.

• Like 3

I agree tags need to be retained on templates. Also, you should be able to have certain templates be the default notes for specific notebooks. Lastly, it would be nice if we could summarize all incomplete (i.e. unchecked checkbox) on any given note from the same notebook or across notebooks- like OneNote has. 

• Like 2

Agree. I currently use the duplicate note method instead of templates and it works ok. I'd love a way to do it with fewer clicks or using keyboard only. I'd like to see both note name and tags saved with the template, and a keyboard shortcut available to apply a template to a note.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, DTLow said:

Personally, I manage my templates using a collection of notes and the duplicate note feature.  Tags and title are maintained.

I used to do this, but unfortunately notes created by duplicate note feature retain the original creation date. Duplicated notes should have their own creation date.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, SeniorShizzle said:

I love the new templates feature—I've been looking forward to it for a while!

When creating a new note from a template, metadata is not retained. Specifically, tags saved onto the template are not added to the new note.

This seems like an oversight to me, since templated notes are likely to have many tags in common. 

Strongly agree as well. Also need to retain Notebook as well as tags.