Jump to content
  • 2
PocketGoddess

Tags in the iOS App

Idea

I'm a relatively new Evernote user and have been very pleased so far, except for one major shortcoming (at least in my humble opinion).

There is no EASY way to access tags in the app. Yes, I can search, and yes, that works fairly well. But the one thing that would completely solve the problem would be to add a quick way to access the tag list on the home screen of the app.

As it currently stands, under the top icons there is a space for Notes, Notebooks, and Work Chat. I would like to add a space for Tags under Notebooks and before Work Chat.

Ideally I would also be able to remove the Work Chat section. I don't use Evernote in a collaborative way, so this is just wasted space.

Thanks for "listening" to my request!

Share this post


Link to post

17 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
21 minutes ago, PocketGoddess said:

There is no EASY way to access tags in the app. Yes, I can search, and yes, that works fairly well. But the one thing that would completely solve the problem would be to add a quick way to access the tag list on the home screen of the app.

As it currently stands, under the top icons there is a space for Notes, Notebooks, and Work Chat. I would like to add a space for Tags under Notebooks and before Work Chat.

Ideally I would also be able to remove the Work Chat section. I don't use Evernote in a collaborative way, so this is just wasted space.

Have you looked at Settings > Customize Home ScreenScreen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.38.10 AM.png

My configuration is; removed Work Chat

There's an option to include tag detail, but its just the last 5 used entries
My process for adding tags to a note is to start typing a tag name and select from the focused drop down list
I don't want my 400+ tags listed on the home screen

IMG_1514.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi @PocketGoddess ! 

In our latest update we have implemented a function that sounds in line with what you've described you'd like to see. From the "All Notes" screen, we now have an option at the top for tags. This way you can quickly access your tag list!

image.png

 

You can read about more of the new features in Evernote 8.0 here

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

How do I look at the notes associated with the same tag? For example, if I have the tag "project" and there are 10 notes associated with the tag, what do I need to do to bring up the 10 notes?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, hpd1901 said:

How do I look at the notes associated with the same tag? For example, if I have the tag "project" and there are 10 notes associated with the tag, what do I need to do to bring up the 10 notes?

IOS has an excellent tag picker toolIMG_2338.thumb.jpg.456e4053081b9c25a8150b3c22acc6b9.jpg

Under the notebook/all-notes name, you'll see the filter tools: Search Box, Tag Picker, Reminders

You can also type   tag:project   into the search box

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I must be missing something bc I do not see the tag icon on my iPad and I do not see the option to customize my home screen. Have there been some changes since those posts were made. I’m a new iPad user but a longtime Evernote user and miss the tag icon. 

89DF87C0-6392-4C7D-9E27-AB7DC2B9C1AF.jpeg

3CE4A8E1-18BC-4E03-B04F-98636B787657.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 

41 minutes ago, gemmich said:

I must be missing something bc I do not see the tag icon on my iPad and I do not see the option to customize my home screen. Have there been some changes since those posts were made. I’m a new iPad user but a longtime Evernote user and miss the tag icon. 
                          3CE4A8E1-18BC-4E03-B04F-98636B787657.jpeg

The above image is the Notebook screen.  
Select a Notebook (or All Notes) to return to the Home Screen where you'll see the tag icon

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 6/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, DTLow said:

 

The above image is the Notebook screen.  
Select a Notebook (or All Notes) to return to the Home Screen where you'll see the tag icon

Is there any way to search tags across all notebooks?

The main reason I use tags is to cross reference notes in different notebooks, not to search within 1 single notebook. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The search in the iOS home screen will include only the notebook you have picked before. To search all, you have to choose „All Notebooks“. It is not possible to select a number of notebooks as a group. It is one or all. So pick all.

Then click on the „Tag“-symbol to the right of the search text field. A list of all tags will open.

With every tag you pick, the list of other tags below will narrow down. By starting with the first tag, the list is reduced to other tags that are found in at least one note together with the selected one. Picking a second, third etc. reduces the list further.

The list of notes in the search result below is shortening correspondingly. Narrow it down until you have your selection, or run out of further tags to include in the search / elimination process.

On the Mac, you can use Bubble Browser, a visual tool that does the same, with a nice graphical view of the search results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The search in the iOS home screen will include only the notebook you have picked before. To search all, you have to choose „All Notebooks“. It is not possible to select a number of notebooks as a group. It is one or all. So pick all.

Then click on the „Tag“-symbol to the right of the search text field. A list of all tags will open.

With every tag you pick, the list of other tags below will narrow down. By starting with the first tag, the list is reduced to other tags that are found in at least one note together with the selected one. Picking a second, third etc. reduces the list further.

The list of notes in the search result below is shortening correspondingly. Narrow it down until you have your selection, or run out of further tags to include in the search / elimination process.

On the Mac, you can use Bubble Browser, a visual tool that does the same, with a nice graphical view of the search results.

Thanks! I see it. Seems very counter-intuitive to have to go through a notebook menu in order to search by tag. This is something I never would have expected. but at least it's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

In a way it is not intuitive, because you work on 2 concepts, first notebooks, then tags.

But if you see the selection of a notebooks as the first step to define your search target, it is logical. Sometimes you do not want to search the whole database, but start for example with the notebook „Professional“ and then search for the tags „2017“ and „contract“. This will (if continuous tagging was applied) result in all contracts you have signed in 2017, but only those in a professional context. All personal stuff will not show in the search result.

This is one reason why notebooks should not be defined too small, because the initial pick of the notebook works better when there are not to many small chunks of information. The sub-categories are better created by tagging.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, aleksg said:

Is there any way to search tags across all notebooks?

The main reason I use tags is to cross reference notes in different notebooks, not to search within 1 single notebook. 

You define the scope; select a single notebook, or All Notes

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In a way it is not intuitive, because you work on 2 concepts, first notebooks, then tags.

But if you see the selection of a notebooks as the first step to define your search target, it is logical. Sometimes you do not want to search the whole database, but start for example with the notebook „Professional“ and then search for the tags „2017“ and „contract“. This will (if continuous tagging was applied) result in all contracts you have signed in 2017, but only those in a professional context. All personal stuff will not show in the search result.

This is one reason why notebooks should not be defined too small, because the initial pick of the notebook works better when there are not to many small chunks of information. The sub-categories are better created by tagging.

IMO the process you describe defeats the purpose of tags for me. Often I want to start my search by tag not be notebook. For example, I have a a notebook for each project. Within those projects I'll often have a note dedicated to the project presentation session, so I'll tag that note as a "presentation". Very often I'll want to see an overview of all my presentations, so I want to search purely by tag and independent of notebooks. The main reason I use tags is specifically for making such links between *different* notebooks, not within one notebook. 

Thanks to DTLow I now see that I can select the notebook icon in the sidebar, then select "all notes", then go into the tag filter dropdown, and then finally navigate all my notes by tag. Since I use tags as a primary navigation tool this seems pretty convoluted to me but at least it works. It would be much more obvious if there was simply a "tags" icon in the primary nav sidebar to take one directly to a tag menu, which is in fact the case in the desktop app.

IMO this discrepancy in UI between the desktop app and the iPad app is very misleading as it forces the user to adopt completely different search flows on different devices for no apparent reason. When you train your users to do one thing on your desktop app and then defeat that expectation on your tablet app, that's a recipe for user frustration and very inefficient work flow.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
20 minutes ago, aleksg said:

IMO this discrepancy in UI between the desktop app and the iPad app is very misleading as it forces the user to adopt completely different search flows on different devices for no apparent reason.

Use case I suppose.  I use the same flow on either device, search for tag:presentation in all notes context.  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, aleksg said:

IMO this discrepancy in UI between the desktop app and the iPad app

Please provide details on the discrepancy
Here's screenshots of my Mac and iPad

1441328882_ScreenShot2019-05-02at19_18_23.png.760b0b152400411a8399cd43b5180bc2.png          IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.cab2f9262273a0fdaa47a79ebb382b7a.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
43 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Please provide details on the discrepancy
Here's screenshots of my Mac and iPad

1441328882_ScreenShot2019-05-02at19_18_23.png.760b0b152400411a8399cd43b5180bc2.png          IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.cab2f9262273a0fdaa47a79ebb382b7a.jpeg

 

My iPad app does correspond to your screenshot, but you must be using a different desktop app than I am because "tags" is right there in my sidebar below "notes" and "notebooks". I'm using Evernote (6.12.3) which it says is the current version.

...and btw isn't that second-to-last icon in your desktop sidebar a "tags" icon?? It's right above the trash--same general location where mine appears

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 8.00.16 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
54 minutes ago, aleksg said:

My iPad app does correspond to your screenshot, but you must be using a different desktop app than I am because "tags" is right there in my sidebar below "notes" and "notebooks". I'm using Evernote (6.12.3) which it says is the current version.

You're a bit behind on your Mac version.

I use the minimized sidebar; just icons.  
I can confirm Macs have more options for the sidebar; including notebook/tag trees.  I only display the lists/trees when I need them (icon long press)

>>...and btw isn't that second-to-last icon in your desktop sidebar a "tags" icon?? It's right above the trash--same general location where mine appears

Yes, we both have a tag icon in the Mac sidebar

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...