Idea: Icons in the taskbar showing thumbnail of note instead of meaningless elephant

It would be awesome if I could just see the thumbnail of the note in the task-bar because sometimes I have like 30 notes and while the counts goes up the task-bar change and I keep pressings in wrong notes until I find the right one, I can keep doing it but it would be a time saver.

Thanks for reading.

17 hours ago, exceles said:

It would be awesome if I could just see the thumbnail of the note in the task-bar because sometimes I have like 30 notes and while the counts goes up the task-bar change and I keep pressings in wrong notes until I find the right one, I can keep doing it but it would be a time saver.

A beautiful, messy enigma.

Hello, sorry for the confusion,  sometimes  I may not explain things well as I wish because I am not English native, “A picture is worth a thousand words!” should work for every country so here is a note with two pictures:

http://www.evernote.com/l/AW6-P1XsM6hM2pT9heLcRzsj1m0Acm3UYng/

first picture shows my taskbar as it is, with elephant icons.

The second picture is edited replacing the elephant with the icon of the note, or snippet, or thumbnail whatever is called (it is shown in the picture as well with rows) surrounded by green square representing the icon is from evernote.

Hope the riddle is clearer.

• Level 5

This is indeed very clear now. Your suggestion is a good one, if it could be implemented. However, I find that (under Windows 7, anyway) if I hover my mouse over any of the elephants, a popup appears showing small images of all of the open notes. When I move the hovering mouse over these images, I see a preview of each of the notes, and can tell which is the one I want to select for editing. If this is available in your version of Windows, I believe it might serve your purposes.

Yeah, I do use that and I while using it are the only moments I think about this idea. It's not that I need it but it would make Evernote better in my opinion.

Thanks to all for your comments.

• Level 5*

Another suggestion is that it looks like you have your taskbar buttons set for never combine so your taskbar shows a button for each open window.  You have to then hover over each button to see what each one is.  If you instead combine the taskbar buttons, when you then hover over the one button you will now get a preview of all of your open windows at once ... FWIW.

Yes I know this too, thank you for you interest, I have used that in the past and  that way shows all the notes current window and position not the icon of the note (I installed Tweaker to get to behave like it does now). 

Maybe a bigger issue would be why one would need to have so many note windows open in the first place. Why not give them all a reminder... or a (temporary) tag... or put them into a specific notebook... or create a saved search for that set of notes? That way you'd be able to select your notes (and identify them) in your note list. That would be a better investment of your mental RAM than trying to keep track of multiple open notes on your desktop task bar.

For instance... you could have a tag, say, @wip (work in progress)... and you could access that tag context whenever needed from multiple places. When you're done with a note, delete the tag. It could be a "real" Evernote tag... or it could even be a "text tag" in the note title. 

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎15 at 5:34 PM, exceles said:

Yes I know this too, thank you for you interest, I have used that in the past and  that way shows all the notes current window and position not the icon of the note (I installed Tweaker to get to behave like it does now). 

If you upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade ends, you could use Windowskey+Tab on your keyboard for a great overview and 1-click navigation.

windows10-14.jpg

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

If you upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade ends, you could use Windowskey+Tab on your keyboard for a great overview and 1-click navigation.

Actually, this already works in Windows 7. Don't know about 8.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Actually, this already works in Windows 7. Don't know about 8.

If I remember correctly, Win+Tab in Win7 show the "flow" view, which isn't very good for overview/navigation. You still have Alt+Tab, but those windows are way smaller (bigger than a taskbar icon though) and you have to hold the keys down while doing the overview.

In W10 it occupies the entire screen estate, and it's just one quick keyboard click and then you choose the window by clicking on it.

In W10 you also get a taskbar preview of all the windows from the same program even they are not combined, when hoovering over one of them.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, gustavgi said:

If I remember correctly, Win+Tab in Win7 show the "flow" view, which isn't very good for overview/navigation. You still have Alt+Tab, but those windows are way smaller (bigger than a taskbar icon though) and you have to hold the keys down while doing the overview.

Flip view, yes, that's right. I like it sometimes for navigation, just for the novelty if nothing else. But I'm behind the times, and Win10 has got something new.

Thanks to the suggestions I see this now different and this idea may not be as good as I first thought, I may not be using the program right so I will try to follow all your tips to see which one fits my needs best.

Thank you very much for your answers

Archived