Are "Free" users losing out with the new pricing plan.

I have been an Evernote user for the past 7 years and I think it's a great product.

This morning I have reviewed the new pricing plans and it would appear that some of the free features have been moved to a paid for plan.

Is this true? And if so, what functionality are free users losing and, if anything, what are they gaining.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

You can see for yourself here - https://evernote.com/pricing/

I guess the biggest "loss" is the removal of the ability to email into your Evernote account.

It's hard to see what one might be losing if one looks at the chart after the fact...  Just took a look at the chart again... and AFAIK, @Metrodon has mentioned the only feature that Basic users will lose. 

*The scanning of business cards has always given Free/ Basic users a period in which to test out the feature.

*One can send up to 5 emails now to test the email to Evernote feature. BUT... keep in mind that if one has Gmail and Chrome, you can use the web clipper to clip emails to Evernote just as well (unlimited use). It has some great features specifically in Gmail. Mobile device is another story...

You can see for yourself here - https://evernote.com/pricing/

I guess the biggest "loss" is the removal of the ability to email into your Evernote account.

It's hard to see what one might be losing if one looks at the chart after the fact...  Just took a look at the chart again... and AFAIK, @Metrodon has mentioned the only feature that Basic users will lose. 

*The scanning of business cards has always given Free/ Basic users a period in which to test out the feature.

*One can send up to 5 emails now to test the email to Evernote feature. BUT... keep in mind that if one has Gmail and Chrome, you can use the web clipper to clip emails to Evernote just as well (unlimited use). It has some great features specifically in Gmail. Mobile device is another story...

Thank you. JMichael's link is useful and gives a much better indication of the feature set of each version.

I guess my frustration was due to the fact that I had recently done a comparison between Evernote and OneNote and come down just on the side of Evernote for the implementation of GTD. This implementation took a considerable amount of time and work. To have had to change to OneNote due to the removal of some key (to me) features would have been a pain.

Although Evernote doesn't charge for the basic version it is far from free when one takes the time and effort involved in implementaion into account. So while I am gratefull for the free version I think Evernote may have shot themselves in the foot a bit by removing features that people may have become dependant upon.

Thanks again to all.

Robert

Although Evernote doesn't charge for the basic version it is far from free when one takes the time and effort involved in implementaion into account. So while I am gratefull for the free version I think Evernote may have shot themselves in the foot a bit by removing features that people may have become dependant upon.

Thanks again to all.

Robert

I'm not sure I follow. Which previously available features have now been removed? As far as I can tell, and as has been largely established in this thread by other users, it is just the emailing into Evernote that has been removed. Is that the one you are referring to, or are there others?

On a different note, I think we can count on offline note access being always forever available on the desktop clients because the content you are viewing on your desktop application is actually stored locally on your hard drive, and not on a server. Unless Evernote was to dramatically change the way their desktop applications handle data, it would be both difficult, not to mention very hostile, to deny users access to files stored locally on their hard drive. 

Also, any application that offers users a large number of features and flexibility will require a certain amount of effort and time in order to learn and effectively implement. An application that takes no time to learn and implement in my workflow is likely to be useless. 

• Level 5*

Also, any application that offers users a large number of features and flexibility will require a certain amount of effort and time in order to learn and effectively implement. An application that takes no time to learn and implement in my workflow is likely to be useless.

Agreed. I recently reduced my entire task management process down to Evernote because it can just do everything I need. I'd rather take the time to learn Evernote inside and out than half-use 3 different applications. At least, that's my current thought. ;)

"All noble things are as difficult as they are rare." —Benedict Spinoza

"If there is no price to be paid, it is also not of value." —Albert Einstein

What does that say about the free version of Evernote?

Well, depending on who you ask, it isn't as free as you might think: 

it is far from free when one takes the time and effort involved in implementaion into account. 

:P

• Level 5*
I recently reduced my entire task management process down to Evernote because it can just do everything I need...

If I recall (maybe incorrectly) you were a Todoist user previously so I'm curious about being able to switch from that to EN for your task management.  I'm also a Todoist user and would prefer to work entirely within EN but currently cannot make it work.  The main barrier for me is the lack of recurring reminders and trying to manage that manually in EN seems very cumbersome.  I would be interested in any helpful hints you may have discovered, and are willing to share, to make the transition possible.  Thanks.

A podcast I listen to (I forget which one) had an episode on productivity apps and I think they made a really good point about free apps which was they would not use a free app because if an app is free then if you come to rely on it it is more likely to go away without a lot of notice or recourse. I tend to agree with this line of thinking. Near as I can tell productivity apps don't seem to make enough money on in app advertisements so they must charge customers for usage. Relying on free is a mistake, pay for your productivity apps. 

As for One Note, they are relying on two things: first that you'll be buying their storage component or the rest of the Office Suite. Second, I suspect that much like big box stores used to be accused: they'll set a price once they've eliminated or assimilated some of their bigger competition. So I would never chose to use them based on price alone. If you like them, use them, but whatever you do expect to pay in the end. 

A podcast I listen to (I forget which one) had an episode on productivity apps and I think they made a really good point about free apps which was they would not use a free app because if an app is free then if you come to rely on it it is more likely to go away without a lot of notice or recourse. I tend to agree with this line of thinking. Near as I can tell productivity apps don't seem to make enough money on in app advertisements so they must charge customers for usage. Relying on free is a mistake, pay for your productivity apps. 

As for One Note, they are relying on two things: first that you'll be buying their storage component or the rest of the Office Suite. Second, I suspect that much like big box stores used to be accused: they'll set a price once they've eliminated or assimilated some of their bigger competition. So I would never chose to use them based on price alone. If you like them, use them, but whatever you do expect to pay in the end. 

Thanks, I'm already subscribing to Office 365.

@s2sailor - jst my 2 cent but EN and Todoist do follow completely other goals. Todoist is a great and very versatile yet powerful task management system. EN can't touch it in that perspective...just to make it clear: I love both of them (both having premium) but each fo its own reason.

• Level 5*

Well, I was quoting in reference to effort paid, not literal monetary price, ha! I don't think it's an applicable quote when taken literally, because I don't think Einstein meant it to be taken literally. So many valuable things don't require monetary compensation (love, happiness, etc.).

• Level 5*

@s2sailor - jst my 2 cent but EN and Todoist do follow completely other goals. Todoist is a great and very versatile yet powerful task management system. EN can't touch it in that perspective...just to make it clear: I love both of them (both having premium) but each fo its own reason.

I'm also a premium user of both and completely agree with your comments.  I was just intrigued when another user of both (I think) reported they moved from Todoist to EN for their task management.  We all have different needs but I can't imagine (at least yet) giving up Todoist to move to EN for my task management needs and was wondering if I was missing something.

• Level 5*

I recently reduced my entire task management process down to Evernote because it can just do everything I need...

If I recall (maybe incorrectly) you were a Todoist user previously so I'm curious about being able to switch from that to EN for your task management.  I'm also a Todoist user and would prefer to work entirely within EN but currently cannot make it work.  The main barrier for me is the lack of recurring reminders and trying to manage that manually in EN seems very cumbersome.  I would be interested in any helpful hints you may have discovered, and are willing to share, to make the transition possible.  Thanks.

I'm also a premium user of both and completely agree with your comments.  I was just intrigued when another user of both (I think) reported they moved from Todoist to EN for their task management.  We all have different needs but I can't imagine (at least yet) giving up Todoist to move to EN for my task management needs and was wondering if I was missing something.

I was previously a Todoist user, yes! I even reached Master level (10,000 karma points). And while Todoist can do a ton of stuff, I found a few hitches in the process that built up over time, enough to eventually sour the entire experience. I've also used pretty much every todo app on the market, and am back to trying Evernote for everything. Todoist's 1) lack of true offline support (you have to have an initial internet connection before going offline), 2) inability to manually sort tasks effectively (can't inter-sort different priority levels, due dated tasks, etc.), 3) botched handling of subtasks, and 4) lack of true integration with Evernote, made me eventually leave the program. Sure, using Evernote has some kinks I'm still working out, but I like how easy it is to get tasks in the program. Evernote is EVERYWHERE I interact with things. My phone. My computer. My iPad. My web browser. My email. So was Todoist, which is why I'd used the program, but the reasons I listed before were deal-breakers for me. I like that I can set notes as tasks in Evernote, with Reminders, and check them off when I'm done, but still keep the notes themselves. Most of my tasks require auxiliary materials, so Evernote excels in this. 

I religiously subscribe to the GTD method (have for over 4 years), so I created a simple GTD setup in EN (using Notebooks as Contexts, Area Stacks, and Reminders) and love it. Repeating tasks go on my calendar because they require time on a certain day, just like any event. I find I don't do them otherwise. Once I complete it, I delete that event.

Of course, Todoist just announced this: https://blog.todoist.com/2015/05/05/brand-new-todoist-api-developer-platform/so who knows - maybe I'll be back?

• Level 5*

Thank you for your explanation.  It is always interesting to see how others use the same tools.  Personally I haven't had any issues with 1-3 but better integration with EN would be very welcome.  Hopefully the newly announced API will lead to that.

Well, I think I have overly hijacked this thread so let's turn it back to the originally scheduled programming.  Since free users are wondering what they are losing, I'm wondering what I will be gaining since my premium membership is now about $5 higher ... maybe it will be recurring reminders :)

• Level 5*

Einstein say anything about exceptions to the rule?  :P

He did also say -  "You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've only ever had one."  Not sure if he is referring to notebooks or ideas, but I'll go with notebooks for this post.  ;)

• Level 5*

I knew you guys would have some great, clever answers to my obvious question.  ;)

It is often said "You get what you pay for".  Not sure who first said that.

I like to restate it as "You don't get what you don't pay for", since all too often we actually don't get what we pay for.

I'm sure someone said that before me.

Having said all that, I am amazed at how many users of the free, Basic, version of Evernote are disappointed and complain about Evernote's lack of features, many of which are way out of scope of the current version.  

If you are a business person, and you are looking for industrial-strength features like you will find in CRM, MRP, Project Management, Collaboration (with simultaneous edit), etc. apps that cost at least 10s, if not 100s of dollars, you should not be surprised that these feature are not in Evernote Basic, and probably not even in Evernote Premium/Business.  While Evernote management continues to surprise us with features out of scope (like EN Context and Work Chat), I somehow doubt that Evernote will ever become a full blown CRM (for example) system.

Evernote is a great general purpose note-taking, web-clipping, Personal (and maybe small business) Information Manager.

But it's more like a swiss army knife than it is a milling machine.

Just my 2c.

• Level 5*

I agree, EN is not perfect, but what you get for free is amazing, as a PIM in any case.  I started paying the $45 a year as my contribution to keeping them in business, and me paperless (need the extra upload capacity).

Archived