How do I rename a Notebook?

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue. I am working on a mac, but it might be the same...go to the View menu, click on Notebooks. You should be able to right click on the notebook you want to rename (or tap the mouse pad with two fingers on a mac) and you should get the option to rename the notebook. Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

I had the same issue. I am working on a mac, but it might be the same...go to the View menu, click on Notebooks. You should be able to right click on the notebook you want to rename (or tap the mouse pad with two fingers on a mac) and you should get the option to rename the notebook. Hope this helps.

It actually doesn't work that way on the Windows client: there is no View / Notebooks menu entry.

You make sure that the notebooks tree left panel is open (View / Left Panel / Show Notebooks). When you see the "Notebooks" header in the left panel, open up its list by clicking on the little triangle to the left of the "Notebooks" entry. In the list / tree below, right click on a notebook name, and in the popup menu you will see a "Rename" action. Alternatively, you can left-click on the notebook name, and then use the Windows standard F2 shortcut key to rename it.

Alternately to the previous methods, you can click on the "Notebooks" header item, and the main panel will display a list / tree of notebooks. If you right click on a notebook name, you will see a "Rename" item in the popup menu. And finally, if you hover over a notebook name in the main panel, you should see a blue gear-shaped icon to the right hand side of the notebook name. Click on that, and you will get to the Notebook Properties dialog (you can get there from other places as well); here you can just type a new name, and click OK to use it.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

When I try the above to rename - it does say rename and then when I write a new name and click it goes back to the same name.  Is it because it's in a stack?

Very unlikely, but you could prove it by moving the notebook out of the stack and doing the rename then (I just tried it and it works fine for me with the notebook in a stack). Anyways, a stack is just a text string in a Notebook's metadata, and has no real existence on its own; it shouldn't affect renaming the notebook.

Um, OK -- so is this the Windows client or the web client? what did you "click"? In the Windows client, if you type a new name, then you should press the Enter key to accept the new name; if you click outside the text entry control, it will indeed revert to the original.

How can you tell if you are in the desktop app or the webversion.  Before I reinstalled it because of a windows reinstall I could easily tell which was which.  However, I see the rename in the dropdown in whatever I'm in and I rename it, click it and it goes back to the same name. 

How can you tell if you are in the desktop app or the webversion.  Before I reinstalled it because of a windows reinstall I could easily tell which was which.  However, I see the rename in the dropdown in whatever I'm in and I rename it, click it and it goes back to the same name. 

The web client is accessed via a browser.  The desktop client is something you download & install & invoke by clicking on either an icon or the name of the program...just like any other desktop app such as Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

right-click, rename is not working for me-seems to rename, but then reverts to old name. 

right-click, properties opens a window where you can enter a new notebook name, and this is working.  

What client are you using? You might consider submitting a support ticket, sounds like it may be a bug. 

I'm on a Windows laptop...I used to be able to rename notebooks in the usual way (simple right-click), but no more.  It could be an EN  bug...or it might be another disruption caused by Windows 8. In my experience, virtually nothing works smoothly with Windows 8.  I upgraded to 8.1, but still have same problems--constant crashes, including crashes of Microsoft's own products.   In any case, renaming in the properties windows works.  :-) 

• 6 months later...

Hi - Just an update here, as this thread seems stale, ...

This bug in the Public Windows client still exists.  I am using Windows 7, Evernote Windows Client 5.6.4.4632 (272632).

Right clicking a notebook name and selecting Rename opens an entry field, but whatever is typed into the entry field is effectively ignored.

The same thing happens when trying to rename a Notebook stack.

However, right clicking a notebook name and selecting properties opens a new window, overtype the old Name property with the desired new name, close the window and the new name takes effect.

There is no "Properties" selection for a Notebook stack, so unfortunately there seems to be no way to rename a notebook stack from the Windows client.

Web client works fine.

• Level 5*

Right clicking a notebook name and selecting Rename opens an entry field, but whatever is typed into the entry field is effectively ignored.

The same thing happens when trying to rename a Notebook stack.

These seem to work fine for me; Win 7, Evernote 5.6.4632.

Right-clicked on notebook and stack names in the left panel, and also in the Notebooks panel that you get when you click on the Notebooks header in the left panel. Renames worked as expected.

• Level 5

I would not consider it a bug.

I can duplicate this result and I can solve it as well.

To duplicate it, follow SoftwareNinja's procedure, but don't press enter, just mouse click on another notebook.

To solve it, follow SoftwareNinja's procedure, then press enter. The change is accepted.

• 4 months later...

I have been following this topic with interest.  I'm new here and also new to EN.  I was having the same renaming problem.  Renaming doesn't work exactly as it does in Windows, After right clicking and choosing "Rename" you must hit "Enter" on your keyboard for the new name to stick.  In Windows 7 the folder rename function usually sticks by just left clicking anywhere outside of name field once you have typed the new folder name.

So to recap...

In EN you must hit ENTER on the KEYBOARD after typing the new note or new stack name.  New name will not stick with just a mouse click.

In EN you must hit ENTER on the KEYBOARD after typing the new note or new stack name.  New name will not stick with just a mouse click.

This is fixed in the current release (5.8.5).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Right click is not supported in some cases of the web app (e.g. chrome on mac 10.n) and also there's no right click on the android app although you can tap and hold in that case. If the right click or other context menu options are N/A for you, the workaround is: open the notebook, click on the "i" button (info) --> see Overview > Title field, type into it to rename, press enter.

InfoPane.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would do it by accident, then forget. Today I figured out how to easily change my notebook's name in Evernote.  I open the notebook and in the top of the upper left hand column with the "old" notebook title, I clicked the "i" symbol for information. That brings ups a page where you click to put your cursor in the "overview," rename the notebook, then save.  Voila. Now I think I can finally remember this.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to figure out how to rename my notebook title!

As it is, it is timewasting because :

• it is NOT TRIVIAL where to find the feature
  • there is a BUG in "info" page : editable field not positioned in the editable area (fig.1)
    (either on Chrome or IE browser)
  • help section is ether wrong or outdated: no "parameter" button (fig.2)
  • had to go through forum discussion to find it out finaly 

Evernote - how to modify notebook title.png

Evernote - how to modify notebook title - param.png

• 1 month later...

On my desktop version (mac) I can rename stacks by going to the 'Notebooks' view, then right clicking on the stack there to bring up the context menu. Rename is one of the options there. See this screenshot:

evernote_stack_rename.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

UK users click on symbol to open notebooks, then click on the notebook whose title you wish to change. It comes up on a black banner with notes beneath. Slightly above and to the right is an i symbol. Click that and it opens up an edit page and you can change the title there.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Carole Jarrett said:

UK users click on symbol to open notebooks, then click on the notebook whose title you wish to change. It comes up on a black banner with notes beneath. Slightly above and to the right is an i symbol. Click that and it opens up an edit page and you can change the title there.

F2 or right-click and rename works for me on stacks and notebooks...

Archived