A way to make EVERY new note go to the default notebook?

3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@gazumped, the first screenshot is from the Web Clipper; but the option in the second screenshot controls (IMHO, anyway) other "clipping" actions, such as taking screenshots with Win+PrintScreen or copying selected text to a new note with Win+A.

please re-read what I posted. I accidentally posted the wrong link. 

Access Web Clipper options

• Chrome, Safari, and Firefox: Click the elephant button in the toolbar to launch the Web Clipper, then click 'Options' at the bottom of panel.
  • Opera: Right-click on the elephant button in the toolbar, then selectOptions.
  • Internet Explorer (IE) 7+: In Evernote for Windows Desktop, click Tools > Options > Clipping from the menu bar.

• Level 5

Yes indeed, @Manuel and @gazumped, those are the options for the Web Clipper. But my point is that the option under discussion in the Windows program (Tools > Options > Clipping > Clip destination) does not apply to the Web Clipper (IMHO), but to other "clipping-like" methods of creating a new note, such as taking screenshots with Win+PrintScreen or copying selected text to a new note with Win+A. Not just my HO, actually. I tried it out, and the settings there do control the destination of those notes.

But I still don't understand what "Clip to current notebook or to default notebook" means, since only current notebook actually works if you choose that option.

Hi again,

I now have a response that sheds light on the situation:

Austin G. (Evernote Help and Learning)

23. Sep., 12:27 PDT

Hi,

First. I apologize for the delay in our reply. I've been reviewing your ticket with Brian, and I see that he passed on some incorrect info. I also apologize for this. Please allow me two explain.

1.    The two notebooks destination options within the Evernote for Windows Desktop clipping options only applies to notes created using the "Clip Screenshot" option accessed by right-clicking the tray icon.

image.png

If you use this option the note will be placed in the notebook indicated in the Tools>Options>Clipping settings page.

1.    When using the other tray options, notes will be added to the default notebook when no other notebook is selected. If a notebook is selected (highlighted in blue) within the app, the newly created note will be saved to that notebook. If no notebook is selected, the note will be placed in the default notebook.

2.    As you indicated, the Web Clipper has its own settings. Notes clipped from the web clipper will be saved to the notebook according to the IE Web Clipper settings.

In short, newly created notes created from the "new note" option from the tray icon will be placed in the currently selected notebook within the Evernote for Windows Desktop app. If not notebook is selected, then it will be saved to you default notebook.

Please let me know if the Evernote for Windows Desktop app, or the WebClipper's behavior does not match the descriptions above

Thanks,

P.S. Thanks for the screen recording. Feel free to take it down at any time.

Austin G.

And again:

Thanks for the feedback and additional info. I'm reviewing that article now, and will request an update.

This was a change in behavior with Evernote for Windows version 6. I've documented this ticket as a request for this option. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning: Wordy details on my bug report raised on this but TL;DR at bottom...

I also raised a bug report for this raising the same concern that the global hotkey, Ctrl+Alt+N, is not respecting the default notebook and instead goes to the last viewed notebook in Evernote app which could have been closed to tray hours earlier and long forgotten.

Also raised that there is a separate hotkey, Ctrl+N, while viewing a notebook/tag, that IMHO should be the hotkey that creates notes under context of current notebook and tags while actually viewing certain notebooks/tags in the app.

I too think the global hotkey Ctrl+Alt+N should be in global context and create simple note, not make unnecessary assumptions, and just put it in default notebook - plain, simple, efficient.

In addition, also noticed not only the last notebook is defaulted but also tags are automatically inserted on global new note hotkey if you were previously viewing notes under a tag!

Result on the bug report is I got told that "our product team has indicated that this is how the function is to be intended" and that they'll just consider the feedback in the future.

Love most things with Evernote but this issue seems like a very easy way to misplace and mistag notes. Evernote Windows app is making too much assumptions on which notebook and what tags you want with a note and that can backfire.

Also asked them if there's a way in commandline (so it's callable from hotkey app like AutoHotkey) that "Evernote.exe /NewNote" can have a switch to just say which notebook you'd like it in, also got told there is no way right now and it just behaves like the global Ctrl+Alt+N.

TL;DR; Raised bug on this as well, pointed a separate hotkey Ctrl+N instead of global Ctrl+Alt+N to create notes while in context of app, got told current behavior is as designed but might be considered in future.

My current workaround: AutoHotKey script that opens a dialog to enter some text. This is saved as a txt in an auto import folder for Evernote. Sadly, there does not seem to be a command line switch for this. 

On 10/7/2016 at 11:55 PM, kan0ne said:

My current workaround: AutoHotKey script that opens a dialog to enter some text. This is saved as a txt in an auto import folder for Evernote. Sadly, there does not seem to be a command line switch for this. 

Thanks for sharing!

My current workaround, also using AutoHotkey is:

1. Run ENScript.exe showNotes /q "notebook:Inbox" to first make sure the last viewed notebook is my default notebook called Inbox.

2. SendInput the global new note hotkey (Ctrl + Alt + N)

(I also use WinHide to re-hide the Evernote main window so it behaves like I just got a new note pop-up for my default notebook without opening the Evernote main window.)

On 10/12/2016 at 2:01 AM, jeff58 said:

Thanks for sharing!

My current workaround, also using AutoHotkey is:

1. Run ENScript.exe showNotes /q "notebook:Inbox" to first make sure the last viewed notebook is my default notebook called Inbox.

2. SendInput the global new note hotkey (Ctrl + Alt + N)

(I also use WinHide to re-hide the Evernote main window so it behaves like I just got a new note pop-up for my default notebook without opening the Evernote main window.)

I really like this. I may have to implement something like this. I hate having to custom program around bugs though!

Thanks for sharing. And thanks to Kan0ne for another option.

• Level 5*

I realize this is an EN Win thread, but just for comparison, and to encourage consistency across EN apps, I thought I'd share how creating a new note works in Evernote 6.9.2 (454158) on macOS 10.11.4.

Creating a New Note in EN Mac 6.9.2

1. If you use the EN Mac global shortcut for a new note (set in EN Prefs):
    The new Note is created (in its own window) using the user's default Notebook;
    regardless of whether the current view is for "All Notes", or for a specific notebook.
  2. If you use the File > New Note (or its shortcut) for a new note:
    1. The Note is created in the main Evernote window.
    2. IF the current view is "All Notes", then the default notebook is used.
    3. IF the current view is for a specific notebook, then that notebook is used.

I suppose the preference for this behavior will vary somewhat among users, but for me this behaves just as I would intuitively expect it to behave.

3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I realize this is an EN Win thread, but just for comparison, and to encourage consistency across EN apps, I thought I'd share how creating a new note works in Evernote 6.9.2 (454158) on macOS 10.11.4.

Creating a New Note in EN Mac 6.9.2

1. If you use the EN Mac global shortcut for a new note (set in EN Prefs):
    The new Note is created (in its own window) using the user's default Notebook;
    regardless of whether the current view is for "All Notes", or for a specific notebook.
  2. If you use the File > New Note (or its shortcut) for a new note:
    1. The Note is created in the main Evernote window.
    2. IF the current view is "All Notes", then the default notebook is used.
    3. IF the current view is for a specific notebook, then that notebook is used.

I suppose the preference for this behavior will vary somewhat among users, but for me this behaves just as I would intuitively expect it to behave.

Thank you for this! This reinforces the point.

Attention Evernote staff - please mark the current behavior in Windows as a bug, not a request for a feature change. It can't be a design choice if it behaves differently on a Mac.

I suggest that everybody to whom this matters opens a ticket. Please insist on a statement from the windows product manager, maybe we can get the attention of someone higher in the food chain. 

Updated my ticket to cite that Mac Evernote client already puts global hotkey new note in default notebook so why not Windows Evernote client? Response was it was "due to limitations of the actual operating systems". Sharing feedback I got:

Thank you for getting back to me. Due to limitations of the actual operating systems in which these applications are created for, these functionalities can differ slightly.

Again, I know that this can be problematic for your workflow. This concern has been raised by other users, brought to the attention of our product team, and they determined that it is currently working as intended. I have already passed along your comments to them for consideration and currently there is nothing more that we will be able to do regarding the problem.

If our product team determines that this change is a big enough impact to a large enough number of users, then it will be implemented in a future version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 1:01 PM, jeff58 said:

Updated my ticket to cite that Mac Evernote client already puts global hotkey new note in default notebook so why not Windows Evernote client? Response was it was "due to limitations of the actual operating systems". Sharing feedback I got:

That just sounds like a plain lie to me.
I have no idea what version of Evernote I had running before it updated, but CTRL+N and CTRL+ALT+N always put the note in my default notebook. So it did work on Windows 10 before. The reason I found this thread is because I noticed that it suddenly stopped working and I was losing notes in random notebooks.

Ugh. I really do wonder: Who the hell are these designers designing this application for? Who is the target audience? Clearly GTD users or anyone else who wants a fast way to jot down a quick note without having to worry about selecting all the right boxes, isn't the target audience anymore either. I started using Evernote a long time ago because it's fast and easy. It lets me do what I want to do, but doesn't get in the way of actually getting work done. Now once again, the UI flow is slowed down significantly. 

Anyway, I'll be definitely be contacting support to suggest reverting this stupid decision. 

I've added a suggestion to the EN Windows feedback forum. Do go and reply / upvote it! 

I'm open to suggestions for improvements to my original message there if you think it does not properly argue for our case. I know my post is perhaps a bit too verbose, but I felt a thorough explanation of the use case might help. 

Archived