Turn off header formatting when merging?

Is there any way to turn off the formatting that puts the giant letters and blue band into notes when you merge them? It gets really annoying when you don't want to change the formatting you have, and I haven't figured out a way to automatically set things to what they were before the merge happened.

Thanks!

Guest mrossk

I also would like that nothing (or only a horizontal line) will be added between the notes. This additions make the merging of notes useless for me. With this additions it is easyer to copy/paste some notes into a single note than to search through the destination note and delete all additions and fight with the formatting of them.

• Level 5*

I've found it occasionally annoying and occasionally useful. Annoying for reasons stated. Useful for adding convenient chapter headings what winds up being a longer article. Since it's usually easier for me to delete than to type new content, I tend to fall on the side of keeping the current behavior, but losing it wouldn't make me cry into my Wheaties either...

I've found it occasionally annoying and occasionally useful. Annoying for reasons stated. Useful for adding convenient chapter headings what winds up being a longer article. Since it's usually easier for me to delete than to type new content, I tend to fall on the side of keeping the current behavior, but losing it wouldn't make me cry into my Wheaties either...

Ditto.

I wish it were optional, so it could be turned off. I often merge lots of little notes I make all day into one document, and it's annoying to have these giant bars messing up the formatting. Cutting and pasting each note into a single document works as an alternative, but it's time consuming (and needlessly so).

Same thing with pasting audio notes. I end up with a blue bar around the entire note. I haven't figured out how to delete the bar without deleting the pasted audio file.

• Level 5*

It is the formatting of the separator that is most objectionable to me.

Why any designer/developer would choose such a format is beyond me.

Why not just something simple that uses the font chosen by the user:

• <HR> and then the
  • Note title in bold using the default font/size,
  • then a blank line, followed by
  • the exact text of the note.

Guest mrossk

On an android-device I like the great feature that it is possible to swipe through all pictures in a note in fullscreen-mode as long as there are only pictures in the note.

When I take pictures with my phone then I mostly do this one by one spread across the day (example: pics of whiteboard in a workshop) and every pic in a single note. After a day I merge them into one single note. But with the automatic added header I can only see this pictues like a very long document on my phone and not swipe from pic to pic fullscreen. That is another reason why I don't like the automatic big formatted headers between the merged notes.

An idea could be that Evernote for windows detects when there are only pictures in the merged notes then it does not add this headers between the pictures. But in this case the titles would be lost and someone could need them.

So a simple horizontal rule after every note followed by the title of the note without any formatting (or the title between two horizontal rules but also without any further formatting) would be the best for both cases. It makes it possible to recognize the single notes and it is easy to remove without leaving any formattings.

There are still some small glitches with the formatting between some platforms (difficult to reproduce) so it is better to add formattings only when they are really necessary.

Marcel.

• 4 weeks later...

When creating notes from mass imported scanned documents with my scanner they are individual files per page. Then when I merge them in Evernote It puts the file name as the header. As mentioned above if it can be customized in the Win/Mac clients where we can choose the formating, I can elect to have the horizontal line or nothing would be very helpful, please Evernote.

• 11 months later...

Indeed, I totally agree: importing 50+ pages documents and merging them causes a lot of work afterwards, because now I've to remove all the non-required headers (or as in my case time stamps) manually. It shouldn't be this hard to make this configurable in the client software (e.g. <hr/>)...

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to format the merge header would be useful. I merge notes frequently and the large text and background colour are in my opinion a distraction, especially if I want to send the note to someone else. I spend a lot of time retyping the headers to make the notes more presentable. The options I'd like to see implemented are:-

1. Turn header on/off at time of merging.

2. Pre define header format.

• 9 months later...

It looks like these suggestions have fallen on deaf ears..

I would expect the coding to be relatively easy to implement at least, to include or NOT include the header in a merged note.

Please review this option.

Need to get B&F to support this !

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Please add an option to disable the note header when you merge multiple notes.  I will often take a several screenshots as individual notes and then merge them together later.  Merging 10 screenshots together and the having Screen clip in big bold letters repeated 10 times is not very helpful.   I definitely see its benefits in some cases but not in all.

• 3 weeks later...

Im using the mac version

but 

PLEASE FIX THIS

I DONT WANT THOSE DARN GIGANTIC HEADERS IN BETWEEN EVERY TIDBIT OF INFO I MERGED TOGETHER

You started a thread on this topic.  Please do not cross post (and as you said, this is the Windows section) and please do not post on a topic, then start a new thread on the same topic.  Thank you,

• Level 5

There are some benefits to the big separator bars. It immediately lets me know that the note is a merged note and contains additional information (including the different URL locations).

For example, when I make an online purchase via a supplier using PayPal, I will receive several email confirmations that I forward to Evernote. I just bought some flowers for Mother's Day. The following were merged into one note.

a.) supplier confirmation,

b.) PayPal confirmation,

c.) shipment notification,

d.) delivery confirmation and

e.) followup survey with future discounts

Those separator bars alert me that there are several individual emails in the note. The bar makes them stand out from each other.

Occasionally, I do remove the bar, which can be done very easily. Here is a merge of a graphic from the Drudge Report followed by a supporting news article. 

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/f47750b0-074f-43c7-9dec-edd32480f1eb/a802f009ab0d4ec6d1fa3bb95cf8ff2a

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5

Instructions for Windows version 6.2.4.3244 

Tools >Options

Important: Be sure to click the box to "Show advanced options" (lower left corner)

>Note

Scroll down to "Note merge options"

My preference is to select "Merge notes with rule separator"

Evernote separator bar.png

Archived