How many tags?

• Level 5*

I believe that the tag limit is 10,000. Don't know of the maximum number that you can place on a single note, let me know when you get to 100 (and why you'd want that many)...

• Level 5

The limit for the overall tags is 10,000.

I do not know if there is a limit for individual notes. But this seems a rather theoretical problem because the database would become unusable from a practical point of view if you even approached that number.

Wern

• 3 years later...

For those who wonder how you can reach a high number of tags : if you use tags as folders (project folders and reference folders), and follow the GTD rule of creating a folder each time you create a project or gather informations about something, then the number of tags rises fast. I have 2300 tags already. 

To then put order in all that, all you need to do is have different level of tags. The simple fact you can nest tags inside other tags makes it all quite easy to organize. 

Now i am experiencing a problem with my Evernote application and i suspect the number of tags has to do with it. Who else on this forum might have this problem ? How many tags do you guys have, when using tags as folders (instead of notebooks) inside Evernote ? 

• Level 5*

Now i am experiencing a problem with my Evernote application and i suspect the number of tags has to do with it. Who else on this forum might have this problem ? How many tags do you guys have, when using tags as folders (instead of notebooks) inside Evernote ?

How can we know if we have the same problem as you if you haven't told us the problem that you're having?

Using tags as "folders" should be no different that using tags as tags. I have ~200 in my personal account.

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  What device are you using?  Nested Tags can only be created (AFAIK) on a desktop.  Drag and drop one tag on top of another to create a parent/ child relationship,  or right click a tag and use 'Create Tag In...' to add a child tag.

Edit:  just read 'to segregate notebooks into a folder arrangement...' - you do realise that you can't tag a folder,  only notes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

If you do want to organize your notebooks into a "folder" type of arrangement, take a look at the Stacks feature.  (But if you are now or are planning to go to EN Business, note that Stacks are not shared between users in a business.)

Archived