No need for EvernoteClipper.exe

I feel I have no need for the EvernoteClipper.exe process.

(I don’t clip from IE or Firefox, my primary browsers being Chrome and Opera. Neither do I run Outlook.)

In some previous versions of Evernote, I could remove Evernote Clipper from Startup, and that would be it. Now Evernote runs this process anyway. While it is not huge, I like to keep my system lean through not running processes that are not needed.

I would like to see—in future versions of Evernote—some way of not running this process, or at least closing it when Evernote closes. Perhaps when the option "Do not show the 'New clip' dialog" is active?

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree! It really should be up to the user whether ones wants to run it or not.

But in addition to what you listed I have another reason to ask for better control over the EvernoteClipper.

As you described when Evernote starts up it starts the EvernoteClipper without giving one the opportunity to object to another process adding load to a PC.

The even bigger problem I have with the EvernoteClipper is that when you exit out of Evernote, the clipper happily still continues to run in the background

and has to be terminated manually using Task Manager.

This behaviour begs a question ---> What is it doing when Evernote is no longer running???

• Level 5

The next release of Evernote client for Windows will support registry value HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper which defaults to 1. If you don't want EvernoteClipper.exe process to be started when Evernote starts, please set this value to 0. Make sure you fully exit Evernote application using File/Exit before changing its registry values.

EvernoteClipper.exe process provides functionality that allows in-process clippers (like IE, FireFox and Outlook) to create notes in the database. We cannot start it lazy when user performs clipping since IE and FireFox processes are not trusted and any process started from within their context will lack permissions to access local database. So we start EvernoteClipper.exe in advance from Evernote.exe or StartUp folder.

Thank you for reporting!

/Peter

• Level 5
This behaviour begs a question ---> What is it doing when Evernote is no longer running???

EvernoteClipper.exe allows you to clip notes without Evernote application being running. The idea is to allow clipping at any time, just like with Chrome Clipper that posts notes directly to the service.

/Peter

The next release of Evernote client for Windows will support registry value HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper which defaults to 1. If you don't want EvernoteClipper.exe process to be started when Evernote starts, please set this value to 0. . .

Thanks Peter.

Personally, I like having the clipper aways running (so long as it doesn't become a resource hog :wink:).

But it is always good to have options.

• 1 month later...

EvernoteClipper.exe allows you to clip notes without Evernote application being running. The idea is to allow clipping at any time, just like with Chrome Clipper that posts notes directly to the service.

That would only make sense if IE/FF add-in has been installed, correct? If not, there's no need for this process to keep running..

Kudos for allowing this to be toggled via registry but it should be a selectable item in Options.

• 4 months later...

Hi Peter,

The next release of Evernote client for Windows will support registry value HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper which defaults to 1. If you don't want EvernoteClipper.exe process to be started when Evernote starts, please set this value to 0. Make sure you fully exit Evernote application using File/Exit before changing its registry values.

Just followed scrupulously this procedure while having EN 3.5.1.5432 installed, restarted EN, checked with Task Manager: EvernoterClipper launched anyway. Rechecked the registry: the value is still 0...

Any clue?

TIA

• 10 months later...

Thank you for having this option, although hidden and hard to find. Can you add this to the app's preferences UI in a future release?

How do you do this with the Mac version of the client? Some .plist in the application?

• 2 months later...

FYI evernoteclipper.exe process was the cause of the serious performance issues i was having with Microsoft Onenote 2010 ever since I upgraded from Onenote 2007 to Onenote 2010 in April 2012 (On my windows 7, 64 bit lenovo with i7 processor). As other onenote users describe in this post and many others you will find searching the topic. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-onenote/one-note-2010-gets-impossibly-slow-typing-lag-when/de2089f5-0851-42b8-9465-d37630c1ba15?page=6&tm=1351262554440 .

I just found this thread and changed the registry value to 0, will see what happens. Previously, I would just manually terminate the evernoteclipper.exe process every time I was done using evernote, and would very sparingly use it.

• Level 5*

FYI evernoteclipper.exe process was the cause of the serious performance issues i was having with Microsoft Onenote 2010 ever since I upgraded from Onenote 2007 to Onenote 2010 in April 2012 (On my windows 7, 64 bit lenovo with i7 processor). As other onenote users describe in this post and many others you will find searching the topic. http://answers.micro...m=1351262554440 .

I just found this thread and changed the registry value to 0, will see what happens. Previously, I would just manually terminate the evernoteclipper.exe process every time I was done using evernote, and would very sparingly use it.

Curious, I found only one (passing) reference to Evernote in that topic and all of its 60 replies.If setting the registry value helped, then great, but I don't see how the article that you posted has any bearing on the issue...

FYI evernoteclipper.exe process was the cause of the serious performance issues i was having with Microsoft Onenote 2010 ever since I upgraded from Onenote 2007 to Onenote 2010 in April 2012 (On my windows 7, 64 bit lenovo with i7 processor). As other onenote users describe in this post and many others you will find searching the topic. http://answers.micro...m=1351262554440 .

Curious, I found only one (passing) reference to Evernote in that topic and all of its 60 replies.If setting the registry value helped, then great, but I don't see how the article that you posted has any bearing on the issue...

I have been following the Microsoft link Ryan posted, and was excited to see his solution. It is relevant, since this indicates a conflict between Clipper and other programs. While I think it's more likely Microsoft's problem (the performance issues are limited to MS Office), his post was quite helpful. I never mess with registry values since it's outside my scope of knowledge, so I'd like to see a setting that turns it off permanently as I never use the Evernote Clipper, and also never use IE, and almost never Firefox.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

EvernoteClipper.exe process provides functionality that allows in-process clippers (like IE, FireFox and Outlook) to create notes in the database. We cannot start it lazy when user performs clipping since IE and FireFox processes are not trusted and any process started from within their context will lack permissions to access local database. So we start EvernoteClipper.exe in advance from Evernote.exe or StartUp folder.

Thank you for reporting!

/Peter

we have 2014-03-19 n still we havent support for this registry value ..

• 10 months later...

The registry modification doesn't work. In fact, there is no HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper registry value. I tried modifying HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EnClipper setting it to 0 or 1 but none helped. The process is still working after exiting evernote.

• Level 5*

The registry modification doesn't work. In fact, there is no HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper registry value. I tried modifying 

HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EnClipper setting it to 0 or 1 but none helped. The process is still working after exiting evernote.

The Windows client has changed significantly (at least 2 major versions, I think) since the registry hack was mentioned by Peter. It may not be there any more.

• Level 5*

So, is there any new hack to do the same?

None that I know of. I'm not sure that I see the big deal here. EvernoteClipper.exe appears to be a pretty light user of resources. If you close a tab in your browser, you'll likely get more memory/CPU back...

The registry modification doesn't work. In fact, there is no HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper registry value. I tried modifying 

HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\EnClipper setting it to 0 or 1 but none helped. The process is still working after exiting evernote.

The Windows client has changed significantly (at least 2 major versions, I think) since the registry hack was mentioned by Peter. It may not be there any more.

The registry value still exists and is still checked. Note that the name is "StartEvernoteClipper", not "EnClipper". (It's a DWORD)

• Level 5*

Thanks dconnet, that worked:) Seems that I just didn't know the structure of windows registry and I just couldn't find that value;(

Sometimes registry entries used by a program need not be actually present in the registry; their absence can just be interpreted as a "true" or "false" as the program logic dictates.

• 1 year later...
On 16.3.2011 at 7:58 PM, kvitekp said:

How about making this into an option in the actual Evernote program instead of a registry tweak/hack?

I don't see this option in the current version of Evernote for Windows 6.2.4. So my suggestion is still valid?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I see no point in using a software which produces processes i don't need or want.

I have to admit that the previous version of the desktop application looked really shabby.

Thankfully you gave it some design love and now it looks great.

Please add an GUI option for

[  ] Enable Global Clipping-Service

Archived