My keyboard shortcuts no longer work

I am on a Mac, using Evernote 10.98.3 on MacOS Sonoma 14.4.  I noticed the other day that ⌘N does not open up a new Note.  Thinking this used to work in the past, I tried a few of the other defined keyboard shortcuts.  None of the ones I tried work.

Is this a configuration issue or possibly an OS issue?  Am I the only one having this problem?

I don't have a Mac but I've heard a couple of other folk talking about shortcuts not working or a little intermittent... they're being made aware of it so update when the updates arrive.

Yes, I agree with @Jon/t.  From another community I am aware of a few people who are having inconsistent behavior with shortcuts.  I have a very minor glitch too.  On my desktop the delete key fails to delete a note about half the time and I have to use the overflow menu.  No pattern I've been able to detect.  Evernote is aware.

Vinnie

I wonder whether this is related to the bug where the Note menu from the top menu becomes (subtley) grayed out and doesn't work. For me (Windows not Mac) when this happens the associated keyboard shortcut keys also stop working. While this bug has been around for a while it seems to be much more prevalent in recent releases. Forcing a reload (ctrl+shift+R on windows) often temporarily sorts it. Expanding the note (even if you then collapse it) reliably causes the menu to stop working.

I don't even know whether this bug even effects Mac.

image.png.afd676cd4f952dc82ef0a8d92bce95cc.png

I've to be veeery careful with the Delete key: Since one of the last version (I'm on 10.98.3-win) it often does nothing...
In other cases it confuses me inside the note list: If I click on a note line, the line is highlighted and Delete should delete this note (OK in earlier versions - with no effect in current).

But if you move the mouse around the list, other note lines become highlightet - but not selected. Delete should NOT delete anything because I did not click with the mouse button to select a note...

Alt-O (which should open the current note in a new window since some days - a very helpfull idea!) does not work if Delete does not work...

I've no idea for any situation what causes this effect(s). Sometimes all is OK 😤

9 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Alt-O (which should open the current note in a new window since some days - a very helpfull idea!) does not work if Delete does not work...

Which supports my theory as both are in the Note menu (see my screenshot above)

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

Which supports my theory as both are in the Note menu

Yep - makes sense from a programming point of view. If the sub-items are disabled, their hotkeys are disabled.

Sub-items in Note menu are disabled i.e. if Note is a Web-clip or the cursor is anywhere in not-normal-formatted text. 

If you change Web-clips (that come with "HTML content" boxes) to normal Note text and|or change text (i.e. coming from eMail-inbox) to normal text, Note menu sub-items are enabled and Alt-O works fine.

On 7/27/2024 at 10:58 PM, VincentC said:

Yes, I agree with @Jon/t.  From another community I am aware of a few people who are having inconsistent behavior with shortcuts.  I have a very minor glitch too.  On my desktop the delete key fails to delete a note about half the time and I have to use the overflow menu.  No pattern I've been able to detect.  Evernote is aware.

Vinnie

Same problem here. Delete key failure. Keyboard is fine. Re installation of Evernote helped for a while (maybe a week) and now back to same problem.  Inability to use delete is a 'major' glitch hampering my work. 

Update:  I deleted the Evernote app and reinstalled it.  Shortcuts are now working.  I have no idea why.

Yes, for me too.  I use the "move" shortcut about a zillion times a day, and it seems to be working fine.  I'm still not 100% sure about the delete key yet.  Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't keep up so I kept just dumping stuff in Evernote -- I didn't have any time to go back and take things out.  Hopefully I'll be able to give delete a workout today!

Vinnie

There has been a programming bug in a callback routine that en- or disables Menü items in sub-menue „Note…“. If a Menü item has an associated accelerator key,  the key is disabled. Such problems can be detected easily by UI testing frameworks. If EN uses such automated testing environments (and I hope so… - even if it does not look like 😉) this will not occur in future… 🤭

The issue happened when opening a note from a notebook. Opening a note from search or all notes worked fine.

This is why it seemed a little intermittent. Fixed now.

Back to the alt-shift-m shortcut for moving a note:  I spoke too soon.

I'm finding that the shortcut works pretty consistently, BUT, there is one exception where the shortcut consistently does NOT work.  When I have a pinned note and I use the three-dot menu on the pinned note widget to open the note in the new window, then the move shortcut fails and nothing happens.   If I open a note in its own window from the note list, the shortcut works fine.  It's only when using the "Open in a new window" command for a Home-pinned note that the short cut fails.  So, a very specific situation where the failure occurs, at least for me - Windows desktop v10.99.3.

Unfortunately, that pinned note is a template for meeting notes, so I use it several times a day.

Vinnie