Evernote Free Has Been Completely Bricked for Legacy Users

With more and more features being removed from FREE, I'm at a breaking point with this company.

1) Evernote Free now has a new 1-device limit (fine)

2) I unsynced Evernote from my phone so I could use the web browser

3) When logging into the web version, I can't access until I unsync more devices (old phones that I don't have any more).

4) I unsync those

5) I try to access the web version, and NOPE, still getting bricked, and I cannot unsync any more devices. There is a limit on how many devices you can unsync.

6) Therefore,  I have NO access to any of my notes.

Is there any way around this? I have notes on there from 2017. I would hate to lose access to those notes. Honestly, this seems like such a trashy way to treat your early adopters. One thing is for certain, I'm looking for a replacement to Evernote after this experience. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, markeschell said:

I'm looking for a replacement to Evernote after this experience.

You're using a FREE app.  As an "early adopter" you seem to have been doing so for a long time.  I can't imagine the company will be devastated if you find another provider.  Meantime your access will reset in a few weeks,  or on your subscription.  Your choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, markeschell said:

With more and more features being removed from FREE, I'm at a breaking point with this company.

3) When logging into the web version, I can't access until I unsync more devices (old phones that I don't have any more).

4) I unsync those

5) I try to access the web version, and NOPE, still getting bricked, and I cannot unsync any more devices. There is a limit on how many devices you can unsync.

Is there any way around this? I have notes on there from 2017. I would hate to lose access to those notes. Honestly, this seems like such a trashy way to treat your early adopters. One thing is for certain, I'm looking for a replacement to Evernote after this experience. 

I am early adopter also, starting from 2013. Since I have almost 5000 notes at this point, becoming a paid customer a few years ago, for all the features and utilities I get, was a no-brainer. If you weren't willing to become a paid user, I don't think anything they do, would make you change your mind.

• Like 3

How many years after a product first launches can you be considered an early adopter? Evernote has been around (at least in its mostly current form) since 2008. (See https://savemyleads.com/blog/useful/evernote-brand and also https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/144820-how-long-have-you-been-with-evernote/)

Having said that, it seems very unfortunate (at best) that it's pretty easy to get locked out of your own notes (accidentally or not) even for those people that are not paying.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

it's pretty easy to get locked out of your own notes

Actually it's not that easy.  I opened my (free) test account after a device change,  and reading the prompts on screen it was very simple to disconnect the old device and continue immediately.  Most of these issues occur on the non-tech side of the keyboard - and even where they do arise,  the  fixes are simple: wait or subscribe.  If the content is required urgently,  then maybe a free app is not the best place for them?

• Level 5

I often run Free accounts parallel to my main paid one. I use them for projects, it creates a useful independent silo for this temporary use.

Sometimes I mix up which devices to use. Following the instructions I never caused a lockout in 4 years now - the unsync limit was introduced in 2020.

It‘s probably easy to happen if I ignore the messages, and believe it is my birth right to get a valuable service for life for free.

This attitude can easily be healed by a month of subscription.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually it's not that easy.  I opened my (free) test account

Yeah - a free "test" account. And you know the ins and outs of Evernote. For those that don't, it's pretty easy.

Hallo!

Ich komme nicht mehr an meine Daten! Trotz Entkoppelung meines Mobile erscheint der Sperrbildschirm in Web-Version. Ich muss wohl vorher einmalig 12,99€ für ein Monatsabo zahlen. 😠

Oder gibt es eine andere Möglichkeit? Ich will die Daten exportieren und dann wechseln. Kennt jemand brauchbare Alternativen mit Importfunktion?

On 7/26/2024 at 5:54 PM, gazumped said:

You're using a FREE app.  As an "early adopter" you seem to have been doing so for a long time.  I can't imagine the company will be devastated if you find another provider.  Meantime your access will reset in a few weeks,  or on your subscription.  Your choice.

That is not really helpful. When we signed up, even if it was a free account, there were certain features available, and there was no indication that they would be removed one by one until virtually nothing is left. I don't use it for financial gain, I also don't need fancy features so the free version was just fine. Now, it is virtually unusable anymore. Shame on Evernote. If they didn't want users who use it for free, why offer it in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/29/2024 at 11:31 AM, hemaraleah said:

If they didn't want users who use it for free, why offer it in the first place.

It's a 'free trial' as offered by most other software.  It can be changed or withdrawn at any time. To ensure continued access - subscribe;  otherwise find another provider you are able to use.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@hemaraleah Company policy about Free has changed in the last couple of months. Free means trial now, and nobody needs to try infinitely.

EN does not need to categorize their users, and decide who may continue and who doesn’t.

You must decide for yourself if a subscription creates enough value compared to the price. If not, I don’t think staying in Free for continued use is a sustainable option any more.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2024 at 5:04 PM, markeschell said:

4) I unsync those

I think it is a bit over the top to introduce--without warning that I am aware of--the 1 device / 2 disconnect limit. Like others here, I've been completely locked out until next month or until I subscribe. Look, I get it--Evernote isn't a charity--but I still think this is pretty crappy. Snarky comments from LVLs only remind everyone of the crappiness.

• Thanks 2

Have you seen https://evernote.com/blog/free-limit-changes-august-2024?  It looks like they are transitioning to one device at a time (with logging out before changing).  I don't see a limit to how many times you can do this log-out and log-in action.  They also suggest you disconnect the others (at least once) by some other method, which I would think would resolve the old devices.

As perhaps unsolicited and unwanted advice, I would not depend on any free service to be my only source of important notes.  Hopefully, you have a backup or archive.  I am a subscriber and backup nightly to try to maintain access to my information if something goes sideways.

• Level 5

Beside the fact that access is still possible, the title of this thread is all wrong to start with: There are no „legacy users“, because no legacy client can be used any more.

There may be some users who still keep an old account on Free, serving as an archive. Just as a reminder, this is courtesy of EN. For any other long term cloud storage users need to pay.

So enjoy while it lasts, but I wouldn’t take it for granted. Subscribing for a month is little if it allows to move all stuff out of a doubtful storage.

• 3 weeks later...

So....if I downgrade from PERSONAL to FREE, I only get to keep 50 files?  I have 22,000 notes and trying to cull a lot of them I no longer need.  I was one of the founding subscribers back in the day!  I have used all the different subscriptions over the years and, now that I am retired, only use Evernote for a few notes here and there (and the reference manuals for our appliances and my scanned journals, etc.). I downgraded from Professional to Personal two years ago.  

I hate to leave EN to go to free but I don't need to spend $129 a year for a dozen notes a month.  Can I keep my old notes and reference them if I go to a free account? Even what I have read in this thread doesn't really explain this.

Also, I might change my mind in a couple of months and decide to resubscribe! Will my notes still be there if I do???

Thanks for any help here.

Edited by julilloyd
Added something
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, julilloyd said:

I only get to keep 50 files?

No - as a downgrading user (AFAIK) you get to keep all your notes - you just won't be able to add to them. 

Viewing is certainly allowed - through one device only;  I'd suggest the browser client is the best choice for that.  Go to   https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action and look at the very bottom of the page for "cancel your subscription".  (Make sure you do that before your next billing date!)

You might get some discount offers to put off your downgrade for a year during that process - up to you whether you think the amount is worthwhile.

While you can't add new notes to your existing account if you end the subscription,  if you have another email address you can use,  it's possible to sign up to another Evernote Free account,  to get those 50 notes back again.  :)

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

No - as a downgrading user (AFAIK) you get to keep all your notes - you just won't be able to add to them. 

Whew.  Thanks so much!  I do have so many memories and clips that I need to transfer. I will see if they can offer a bit of a discount when I go to the cancel page : D.

@julilloyd Also, make sure that you disconnect all your other devices ahead of time to avoid accidentally being locked out of your notes. I used to have 6 devices, but now I'm down to just one in preparation for my plan to expire early next month:

image.png.203b7b0ac44fbc158ae92d9b2ac2d322.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was making notes on my Evernote mobile app. Suddenly one day, couldn't sync because of a "network error". No problem, the note was saved and allowed me to re-edit it. Funny things my kids said, you know memories you can't replace kinda content. Then I find I cannot login on my desktop without unsyncing my phone. Not wanting to lose content, I become a paid subscriber. Same "network error" still happening. I get a prompt to update the app. No warnings about losing unsynced notes so I think it's safe given it's stayed on my phone after turning it off and on and it's obviously being stored somewhere. I update the app. Now I cannot even login because of a "client-side exception has occurred - please see browser console for more information". Thanks so much Evernote. I think you're about to lose another customer unless I get my notes back.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, KKWeg said:

one day, couldn't sync because of a "network error"

That might have been the day when Evernote - after a couple of years of warning - switched off the servers.  We're mostly other users here,  but should be able to help you get back to your account.  Whether any part of that last note will be available is unknown.  But start by telling us your device and OS if you want to see what's there.

• Level 5

Hmmmm - doesn't sound like he waited since May to write this.

The first issue is caused by EN now enforcing a 1-device limit for Free users. You need to log out of 1 device to be able to log into another. 

The second on desktop may be related to the OATH login method used. Try to follow this advise:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/29216279537043-Troubleshooting-issues-with-Account-Management-and-Web-Actions-Logins

@PinkElephant, @KKWeg mentions in his post that he subscribed, so he should be past the one device limit issue.  @KKWeg, as @gazumped mentioned, it would be helpful to know the clients and versions you are using:  Android, IOS,  Windows, MAC, operating system versions along with the version of Evernote you have installed on each one.  Also, have you tried accessing the web client directly at www.evernote.com?  And if it doesn't work right away, try browsers from different browser families: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, ideally with pop up windows enabled and ad blockers disabled, cache cleared, etc.   Lastly, if you have a laptop - not a company laptop but your own personal device - take it to a coffee shop with WiFi and try logging in from there -- that will bypass any potential issues with your ISP, firewall, or corporate security policies.

And, since you now are subscribing, at least for a time, take advantage of your access to support and start the (arduous) process of submitting a support ticket.  Make sure you respond right away to the automated response you will get.

Hope this helps.

Vinnie

• Like 2

@gazumpedMy mobile device is Samsung Galaxy A30. Android version 9. I can login via desktop browser, only on my mobile I am having trouble.

Is there a way to simply retrieve the data from my phone?

@PinkElephantI only just encountered the login problem now. But the "not syncing - network error" message has been appearing for months.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, KKWeg said:

Is there a way to simply retrieve the data from my phone?

Have you updated Evernote on your phone to v10?  Any unsynced notes will be in temporary storage.  I suppose there may be an outside chance that updating the app could 'rescue' the data,  but without a working connection you have no access to your notes.