Hello, I am using the free version, and had my PC and my mobile synchronised.

Since yesterday it tells me I can only have a max of...1 device.

I tried to disconnect my mobile, uninstall Evernote, etc, still same issue.

I am over 50 notes, but I am not creating any new ones, and this is not the message I get which clearly says you can have a max of 1 devices.

Any idea ???

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, CyrilMadrid said:

Since yesterday it tells me I can only have a max of...1 device

Did it specifically state only one device?  The Evernote plan comparison page still shows two devices for the free plan.  Connecting by the web also counts as one device in case you were not aware.

• Like 2

when I am offered the option to disconnect one, I only see the evernote app on my pc and the mobile phone.

And says limit reached.

It says in French keep up to 1 devices synchronised !

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-24 à 19.00.58_6db4f777.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-24 à 19.00.58_68a00991.jpg

I've seen comments that lead me to believe that Bending Spoons is experimenting with a small number of free users to see if limiting them to just one device will improve conversion rates to paying membership. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, CyrilMadrid said:

limiting to 1 device will make me finally make the switch !

Even if two devices, the free plan really isn’t useful for anything now beyond a trial.  I suspect that Evernote wants former free users to either subscribe (preferred obviously) or leave.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I've seen comments that lead me to believe that Bending Spoons is experimenting with a small number of free users to see if limiting them to just one device will improve conversion rates to paying membership. 

let's see if it's just a trial and reverts back !

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Possibly they are testing a further restriction.

Since you are a user, not a customer you are exposed to a change of plan without notice any time.

If this is good practice I leave to others.

• Like 1

Same here with one device only. I've been using Evernote for about 5 years now for the free version (2 Devices and under 50 notes with no problems whatsoever) and after the past few months of non stop pop ups for upgrade EVERY time I open the app, they've finally drawn a line in the sand and are limiting me to 1 free synched device only. Thanks for the good times Evernote; with money being so tight right now the last thing I need is another $100 annual bill for writing reminder notes about paying my bills🤪

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

It does seem like they are strongly encouraging long time free users to either subscribe or leave and they probably realize that long time free users are unlikely to subscribe.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

They do - the moment they tell you you have too many devices. You posted the screenshots yourself.

What do you expect ? A prewarning, a warning, a serious warning, a red alert ?

You have chosen to use a software that is based on a subscription for free, and this makes you the object of changes to the companies use conditions. You did not pay, you have no contract, and this exposes you to this sort of change.

It is not intended you use the service longer than for a serious trial. If you intended to do so, either pay or switch to another service.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

They experiment with groups of users, have done so before. I think they realize that even with the new restrictions the Free plan is used beyond the intended trial. 

We will see where this leads. I don’t expect the current „official“ Free plan to survive for much longer. If it doesn’t create new paying users it’s of no use, seen from the companies perspective.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If it doesn’t create new paying users it’s of no use

I dońt think so. It will get a real minimum read-only account to which a new „free plan“ with unlimited features will fall back after a trial time of appr. 4 weeks. This „feeding phase“ will have much more effect than a restricted account like the current one.

• Like 2

I am also receiving this notification and I haven’t added any devices. As far as I’m aware I only use my current phone. When it shows the list of devices it is unclear which is my current phone. Any advice on revoking the correct device? 

Got the warning today.

I thought of writing:"It seems not all free/trial acount users are equal: true for some but not all????. What's next, "You have reached the limit with 0 devices"? Please be truthfull in your messagens, don't write lies and do these games."

But then I went to Evernote webpage and saw that they update the conditions to only 1 device :-/.

BR

• Level 5

On one of my Free accounts I got the cap to 1 device as well (haven’t tried the others). What I have noted is that the unsync limit seems to be lifted together with the 1 device rule. I know that the official Plans page tells differently.

I'm getting so frustrated with the continual changes in Evernote that I'm ready to chuck it.  Every time I try to pop in and get a password for something, a purchase page pops up. The only way to get it to go away is to completely close down the app and reopen - what a pain.  

Now today, when I logged in, it said i could only have 1 device. Nice warning!!! Where were the notifications that this was going into place?????I was trying to get a password I needed immediately  - AARRGGGGG

Evernote - why don't you just make it so hard and frustrating to use that your long term users want to find a better option?????

Uh vey, same here. Only one device per free plan. .  Since there is no way to sync a phone and computer (which clearly everyone has) they are now telling all free users - pay or leave.  I will leave. Their subscription price is insane. Not sure who uses it other than business users. Personal light users like me who use just a few notes won't pay these sorts of fees (and I'm sure Evernote doesn't care). Pay to play. I'm out.  Agree with the other poster would've been nice to get some notice.  And no - notice is not when you open the app. Advance notice. 

If they're experimenting with motivating free users, this tactic will definitely do the trick for me.

I'm shopping for a replacement right now, and I've stopped steering people to Evernote.

• Evernote Expert

It is worth noting that the new 1 device limit is actually one device at a time. After disconnecting all but one device you can then log out and log back in on a different device. So the process is easier than the old process of dropping multiple devices. Note sizes and data uploads are also being increased.

"From August 6, Free users will be able to use Evernote on one device (Desktop, Mobile, or Web) at a time...
Going forward, you can switch devices by simply logging out of Evernote on one device and logging back in on another."

https://evernote.com/blog/free-limit-changes-august-2024

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, agsteele said:

It is worth noting that the new 1 device limit is actually one device at a time. After disconnecting all but one device you can then log out and log back in on a different device. So the process is easier than the old process of dropping multiple devices. Note sizes and data uploads are also being increased.

"From August 6, Free users will be able to use Evernote on one device (Desktop, Mobile, or Web) at a time...
Going forward, you can switch devices by simply logging out of Evernote on one device and logging back in on another."

Seems they’re still experimenting with this - my pop-up today says only 2 device disconnects are allowed per month. So it’s not like you could switch between devices on a daily basis, more like monthly. 

Ok well, this is the time to say goodbye to Evernote. After the constant popup to upgrade every time I would start the app for many months, now is enforced limitation to only 1 device?

The purpose of the app is gone if we can't even sync between 2 devices. I understand they want paid users, but there are better apps on the market. It's been sluggish and cluttered for a while.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2024 at 8:43 AM, agsteele said:

I tried logging out of Evernote Web on my computer and logging in to the app on my phone, but I still got the popup telling me to remove one device. 

In the update mail it said "You can switch devices by simply logging out of Evernote on one device and logging back in on another."

Is it only possible to switch devices by doing this two times per month? 

I think this sentence was misleading then.

Do I have to pay if I want to use Evernote on my phone and on my computer on a daily basis? 

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Erwan33 said:

The purpose of the app is gone if we can't even sync between 2 devices.

It is multiple devices but only one at a time. So you can't have Evernote open on, say, a phone and a desktop at the same time but you can log out of the phone and into the desktop and see all your notes on either device.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

It is multiple devices but only one at a time. So you can't have Evernote open on, say, a phone and a desktop at the same time but you can log out of the phone and into the desktop and see all your notes on either device.

Yes thanks. This is just too inconvenient to stay on the free plan, and Evernote has not provided a good reason to upgrade with the app experience in the past few years.

I don't see myself logging out and back in every time I switch devices. The devices limit already went from 3 to 2, and now 1...

• Evernote Expert
24 minutes ago, CyrilMadrid said:

You have to disconnect one device amd reconnect, and you can only fo this twice a month

Have you read the blog explainer?

This is it for me. After years of using it and recommending it to others who have actually subscribed, I'm out. One device? No prior notice? And let's not forget the awful and ill-intended UI design prompting users to intuitively click on what they didn't mean to, which was subscribing.

I found Notion a couple of months ago, and it's just great, so I recommend everyone give it a try.

• Level 5*
On 8/6/2024 at 11:00 AM, jpaz said:

I thought of writing:"It seems not all free/trial acount users are equal: true for some but not all????

Even though the website was recently updated, your comment was true previously.  Evernote has a habit of test driving some changes on a limited group of users before deciding and then rolling it out officially.  This does make it somewhat challenging to help other users when we aren't sure if a new change is a test drive, an actual change, but not yet documented, or a bug.  Maybe the Expert group gets a heads-up, but the forum moderators do not.

On 7/24/2024 at 12:41 PM, CyrilMadrid said:

I am over 50 notes, but I am not creating any new ones, and this is not the message I get which clearly says you can have a max of 1 devices.

Any idea ???

On 8/8/2024 at 8:20 AM, agsteele said:

Have you read the blog explainer?

Yes.  What's the point of 2 devices if you can only look/switch twice a month??

The decision to limit the number of notes was strike one.  The continued escalation in the requested pricing plans to keep an account without limits is strike 2.  Now, my inability to sync my laptop and my phone without any notice or warning renders the app completely useless and is strike 3.

They have lost my business (as soon as I can get my notes moved off to another platform) and more important, they have lost my respect and my trust and will never look back.

Bye Bye Evernote.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, dngvt said:

They have lost my business

No disrespect intended, but what business do you think they have lost?  It costs them to store your content and they have not received any payment from you.  Other paying subscribers have covered these costs.  They have finally realized this is not a sustainable business model and as one of the subscribing members covering these costs, I'm glad to see the program end.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

No disrespect intended, but what business do you think they have lost?  It costs them to store your content and they have not received any payment from you.  Other paying subscribers have covered these costs.  They have finally realized this is not a sustainable business model and as one of the subscribing members covering these costs, I'm glad to see the program end.

They are missing out on all of the ad revenue obviously /s.

• Haha 1

Wow, this really annoys me. I had been a paying member for a long time, until I made the switch the Notion due to lack of improvements to Evernote. I was ok with the 2 devices so I can still look at my old notes as I use my new system.

But now only one device!! I had it on my iPhone and on a PC, that was it. I was going to use the online on the PC but saw the comment about that counts towards that quota which does not make sense.

Had been a hugeeeee Evernote fan but not any more. Now I need to convert all my notes (or at least the important ones since I have over 30K).

I guess I am just venting here but the free version does not provide much anymore compared to other apps.

• Level 5

There is no Free plan for sustained use any more. The old Free plan was the foremost hemorrhage that killed the company.

Why should EN carry the archive of a self decided Notion user (using Notion in itself is perfectly ok, of course) ?

It’s pay or leave, as you have found out yourself.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TK0047 said:

Wow, this really annoys me. I had been a paying member for a long time, until I made the switch the Notion due to lack of improvements to Evernote. I was ok with the 2 devices so I can still look at my old notes as I use my new system.

But now only one device!! I had it on my iPhone and on a PC, that was it. I was going to use the online on the PC but saw the comment about that counts towards that quota which does not make sense.

Had been a hugeeeee Evernote fan but not any more. Now I need to convert all my notes (or at least the important ones since I have over 30K).

I guess I am just venting here but the free version does not provide much anymore compared to other apps.

How do you mass exports your notes? I tried 100 by 100 but very painful

It's not like they are holding anyone's notes hostage, export is easy... either at the CLI with evernote-backup or exporting each notebook one by one with the desktop client.

Anyone who has important data stored in a free service and gets locked out kind of did it to themselves imho. Don't use a free service for critical data. Always keep backups.

• Like 1

I have been an Evernote user for at least 14 years, but now I am afraid Bending Spoons has bended my loyalty too far. The pricing policy is not flexible (I do not need any advanced features for simple note taking!, and it is too expensive) and too aggressive. I have not received any warning about the coming one device limitation, so it looks like an ultimatum.

I have already switched to using Simplenote for everyday notes, such as shopping lists, sometime before when the subscription invitation popups became too annoying. And now I am moving away from Evernote for good (currently transferring my notes to Joplin).

I tried to disconnect an extra device twice: once the web app from the mobile app, then I installed the desktop app and tried to disconnect the web app, but it did not really work - I have been getting the same popup note in both cases. Now I cannot do it anymore because the "disconnection limit reached" and I cannot reach my notes at all. Even this new feature could not be introduced bug-free! So far I am waiting for results of my support request.

• Like 1

I've been using evernote on and off again. Seen a lot of downgrading for non-paid users. I doubted to buy a subscription but for the service and many bugs in the software and regarding the price, I always decided not to. I'm using it like 5 or 6x a month and for notes to pay 1 euro per time i used it is too much. Pity there were no other options. 

But now you can only use one device. And the software does not work, so now I have 0 devices that can use it. Also no contact opportunities at evernote I could find (without signing in, because that is something that doesn't work for me now). Very bad company policy. Very dissapointed. 

• Level 5

Loyalty ? Too aggressive ? Ultimatum ?

You say yourself you want a simple note taking solution. You don’t tell (but its obvious) you don’t want to pay.

Then pick a tool that’s up to your personal preferences checklist. That’s your own doing - nobody has to bend things (not only spoons) just to accommodate your erroneous choice.

You got the message: EN is not made for you.

• Like 1

Yes, I found the pushing for paying to be too aggressive - several popups at once simply irritate than push me to pay for getting rid of them; apparently their UX failed under the business pressure.
EN was originally made for me - I have been using it for many years, but not anymore indeed. I would be happily paying subscription, like I am going to pay for Joplin cloud when I transfer my notes there, but not 13€/month for keeping text notes. Evernote was a great tool but the quality and UX deteriorated recently: the web app loads for ages, the mobile app rotates whenever it likes, and it offers me the features I do not need.
I was already looking for an alternative solution before. But at the moment EN is simply keeping my notes as hostages - I cannot access them anymore without paying, even though I tried to disconnect devices as instructed. Their customer service keeps silence. Isn't this an ultimatum?

• Level 5

It seems you fall into the category who needs an excuse for everything. Oh, the quality is deteriorating, the UX isn’t nice any more, and support sucks.

Why not simply accept that the Free model is at the end of it’s rope ? It’s a trial now, and you are „trying“ since 14 years.

How you managed to lock up your account is anybody’s guess. I run some Free accounts in addition to the paid one, and never managed to achieve this.

What support would have told you: Wait for 30 days, or pay for a month which unlocks the account immediately. Your choice - I would go for the subscription, and either set my device count straight, or run the export.

What works and doesn’t count as a device is this: 

• Like 1

It is not about "excuses for everything" (this is a personal insult btw), it is my reflections on EN strategy. The latest limitation was just the last straw.
But thanks for the tip, I will try to backup my notes, it is everything that I need - to get my notes exported.

• Level 5

The strategy is to get rid of users like you - consuming resources for years and years and absolutely unwilling to contribute.

Simple as that. Some got the message earlier, you got it now.

Good luck.

• Like 1
On 8/9/2024 at 1:30 PM, s2sailor said:

I didn't invent their business model, they did.  They chose to offer a free model that was viable for limited use customers like me.  To pull that option without any notice is shameful and shows a lack of class.  I would have happily continued to use their service, as flawed as it is, if they offered a "free with ads" approach like so many other app developers.  But no, they just decided to ***** the users who did use their service as they offered it.

***** them.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, dngvt said:

This forum doesn't like the word "*****" so I'll change it to ...

We get the idea.

50 minutes ago, dngvt said:

I didn't invent their business model, they did.  They chose to offer a free model that was viable for limited use customers like me.  To pull that option without any notice is shameful

They did offer the free model for a (IMO too) long time and then learned it wasn't working.  I don't know if you know the history, but it would have been more shameful to have continued down that path and gone out of business.  That is where they were headed and at least one of the reasons it was sold off.  Businesses make decisions and changes.  They could have gone the ad route but I'm pretty sure that would have created a greater uproar.  They have given free users three options: continue using free with the restrictions, subscribe or leave.  It sounds like you have made your decision.  There are a lot of decent options out there.  Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

@dngvt You got how much - 14 years of a Free, but valuable service ?!

This is no birth right.

You could be grateful for it, or behave like a little child that has it‘s toy taken away. Currently it’s quite obvious which exit you have chosen for yourself.

• Like 2

I used to be a paying customer for many years, but I canceled my subscription after multiple price increases. When they jumped to 99 eur per year, that reached the level of madness. I cancelled and kept my free version where I had two devices in sync, but when they say "1 device in sync", I ask my self what is the ridiculousness threshold of this company. Aparently very low.

Seriously?! One device in sync? In sync with what? With itself?!!

If I ever had doubts whether to pay again, now this made it clear.

• Level 5

It makes more sense than you think.

You can use 1 device only at any time. But you can switch devices, by logging out of one before logging into another. As always the sync happens through the server.

But the main message is another: You are way beyond trial phase. Decide about subscribing or leaving. Or accept that the Free plan requires a still better device management.

• Like 1

Well, while I kind of understand this functionality, it makes little sense to a normal use of the app.

This "feature" is usable only in the case you switch your main device, like when you buy a new computer. End even in that case, migrating your Evernote storage directory to the new device should suffice.

However, what I wanted to point out is that the company is using the worst tactics to convert users, by forcing them. This never worked.

• Level 5

You don’t need to migrate any storage. It will sync as it always did. You just can‘t have more than 1 device logged in simultaneously at any time.

So yes, switching devices means logging out first before you can log in on another.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2024 at 11:41 AM, CyrilMadrid said:

Any idea ???

I logged out from iPad min -->  and then login to laptop and then logged out from laptop >> then tried to login back to iPad mini, it said that I reached max unlink limit. So it probably has a bug. 

• 2 weeks later...

[v10.102.7] It is totally counter-intuitive that a 'SYNC' product is limited to ONE device.  
Evernote Free's value is asymptotic to zero if users CANNOT share a note between the desktop and a mobile, which is probably the 99th percentile use case..

I have already un-installed the Android App I can no longer Sync to... and will pause and see if Evernote realizes the self-inflicted problem they have created.