Evernote constantly using 10% processor resource

Go to solution Solved by Ricardo,

Hi,

I'm using Evernote for years now and have not had any issues so far. But lately (a few weeks) I noticed my laptop fan running significantly harder than normal. Opening the Taskmanager it showed that Evernote is constantly using around 10% of my processor and 900 MB of my memory, causing the fan to run faster than usual. This has lasted for a fwe weeks now, which is annoying to say the least.

Closing Evernote makes no difference, until I manually end the Evernote process from the Taskmanager. Then the fan goes back to almost idle.

I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Intel i9-13900HX processor and 32 GB of ram and Windows 11 Home OS. Evernote is on the latest version and already has had some updates that had no influence on the issue.

Is there anything I can do to get Evernote back to its normal resource usage?

• Level 5*

Hi.  10% and 900MB doesn't sound like a lot - maybe if you can confirm your Windows OS and Evernote version numbers we could offer a suggestion?

900MB seems about right, maybe a little low. Mine is using 2.1GB right now with 32GB of RAM on the system.

The more RAM you have free the more it will use as RAM is there to be used.

My Lenovo with 8GB RAM tends to sit at around 500-800MB being used.

Hi, 

as you can see in the thread Evernote constantly uses 100% of a core multiple people(including me) have the problem with the high cpu usage since version 10.91.x.

What helped in my case was switching from the version downloaded from the Evernote homepage to the version downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Regarding the RAM-Usage, 0,9 GB is fairly normal in my opinion.

Also you can open a support-ticket, if multiple people report the same problem, it may increase it‘s priority for the developers.

Thanks for all your replies.

I agree that the memory usage seems normal. I mainly included it for completenes. But the CPU usage seems to me to be abnormally high. I have never had the laptop fan increase its fan speed noticable after opening Evernote before, like it does now. 

@gazumped: I’m not behind my laptop at the moment, but I’m very active in keeping my laptop up to date, so it should have the latest versions of both Evernote as Windows. As mentioned in my issue, I use Window 11 Home.

@Spark594 I will try downloading from the Microsoft store as soon as I’m back behind the laptop.

• Like 2

That's how Electron / web-stuff works -- hogging way much resources than (presumably) necessary.

I don't think it'll change to the better anytime soon. I'd rather hope it won't change to worse...

On 6/23/2024 at 5:59 AM, Jongbloed said:

I'm using Evernote for years now and have not had any issues so far. But lately (a few weeks) I noticed my laptop fan running significantly harder than normal. Opening the Taskmanager it showed that Evernote is constantly using around 10% of my processor

I've been using Evernote for many years and have encountered many issues, including this dreaded 10% CPU usage even when idle.

On 6/23/2024 at 7:25 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  10% and 900MB doesn't sound like a lot

Actually, 10% of CPU usage for an idle program is too much. Like most Windows 11 systems, mine has hundreds of processes loaded (280 as of this writing, to be precise), and it would become unusable if each and every process used that much CPU to produce no valid work at all.

When Evernote is open and idle (even when minimized), my total CPU usage is around 10%. When I quit Evernote completely, the total CPU usage goes down to 1%.

That much usage for an idle app is terrible: it drains the battery unnecessarily from notebooks (reducing battery life), increases your energy bill unnecessarily, and considering millions of PCs running such an app, emits a considerable amount of GHG that could (and should) be avoided.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:19 AM, BLK Dragon said:

That's how Electron / web-stuff works -- hogging way much resources than (presumably) necessary.

I don't think it'll change to the better anytime soon. I'd rather hope it won't change to worse...

Yeah, unfortunately, Electron and other CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) apps are usually not very well optimized in many ways. However, when I check other Electron/CEF apps (e.g., Steam client, Google Chrome itself, and many more), none of them uses even 1% of the CPU on my PC when "idle"...

• Solution

Workaround for High CPU Use of Evernote on Windows.

I came here to share with you a workaround that brought my total CPU usage down from ~10% to about 1-2%, and reduced Evernote's "idle" CPU usage by almost 2 orders of magnitude (from 8-10% to 0.1%). I hope this helps the OP and others, but of course, it might not help those experiencing high CPU usage by Evernote caused by other reasons/issues.

If you start Evernote from a shortcut, right-click it, select Properties, and in the Target field add --disable-gpu to the end of the line. E.g., change:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe

to

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe --disable-gpu

Even with that argument, it will still start a process as "Evernote.exe --type=gpu-process" (visible in Task Manager "Details"), but on my PC it is now using 0% of CPU.

@Jongbloed, let me know if it solved your issue as well.

• Like 1
On 24.06.2024 at 01:25, gazumped said:

10% and 900MB doesn't sound like a lot

I hope it was a joke. And im getting 30% btw

16 hours ago, Ricardo said:
 --disable-gpu

This works but results in very slow performance even on my i9. Renaming evernote.exe to evernote2.exe looks like a better solution to me while I move to notion.
When a problem is ignored for more than a month, it means the project is dead.

1 hour ago, Mystic said:

This works but results in very slow performance even on my i9. Renaming evernote.exe to evernote2.exe looks like a better solution to me while I move to notion.
When a problem is ignored for more than a month, it means the project is dead.

I thought "--disable-gpu" could degrade performance, but oddly enough, in my case, it didn't.

Good luck with Notion! I think it looks better, have better integration with many sites, and overall could be a great substitute, but for me it was incredibly slow, specially loading large notes, and lacked most of the offline functionality I wanted (basically, it seemed to always load each note from the website, so moving between notes was a pain). I tested it more than a year ago, so it might have improved since then.

9 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Good luck with Notion! I think it looks better, have better integration with many sites, and overall could be a great substitute, but for me it was incredibly slow, specially loading large notes, and lacked most of the offline functionality I wanted (basically, it seemed to always load each note from the website, so moving between notes was a pain). I tested it more than a year ago, so it might have improved since then.

Yeah, at the moment I'm not sure about notion, but I came across UpNote, which I had never heard of anywhere before, and it looks pretty good. I’ll transfer the notes there within a month and make a decision.

Sorry for my late reply. I was a few days of and was not able to respond to all of your replies.

@Ricardo Yes, your replies are spot on. 10% CPU usage for an idle program is crazy.

I tried your solution and it works great. CPU usage is back to 0 and sometimes 0,8% which is pretty acceptable :-). And as far as I can see it doesn't degrade performance in any noticeable way. Thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1

I have the same problem over and over again after last updates. But it seems that it's only on new nvidia GPU cards. I have this problem only on RTX4090. 

Hi there, coming from the other thread. I also have a RTX 4070 Super, so it is definitely related to that/Nvidia driver. 

Regarding performance (i9 14900K): I also noticed more laggy scrolling in notes with the --disable-gpu workaround. Renaming the .exe didn't result in this behaviour. Not sure though if this will then cause problems when auto-updating the app. Otherwise you have to rename the app after every update... 😕

2 minutes ago, drakon said:

Not sure though if this will then cause problems when auto-updating the app. Otherwise you have to rename the app after every update... 😕

Hi @drakon,

regarding the App-Updates i have observed, that the updates work, but they reset the the app-name back to it´s original. Because of that i use a combination of an modified app shortcut, a cmd-skript to start a powershell-script despite the default restrictions of windows and a powershell-script that changes everything necessary after every app update. The only thing i have to do then is to pin the app back again to the task-bar.

BTW, i have an RTX 4070.

Well, that is strange. So I added the  "--disable-gpu" suffix to the Evernote target line, and as I reported before, it worked fine after that. Until yesterday.

The suffix is still there, but the Evernote process is again too high. Not as high as before, but still too much for my liking. It now hovers between 5 and 7.5%. The fan of my laptop is again running higher than it should be.

This really starts to annoy me a lot.

Also is hard to kill the process, even if I close evernote application to not use it all the time and free the CPU, it's still in the background process - if I force it to shutdown it starts automatically again - super annoying. 

• Level 5

You can close the app window only (hitting the X, for example, which closes THIS window), or QUIT the whole app, for example from the File menu.

And then all processes are gone ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm experiencing similar lag since a couple of weeks on Evernote PC (Win 10)

eg. When starting new note and typing, it gets very laggy
However when Evernote is running in background /the idling usage returns to normal.
When start typing in Evernote CPU and power usage shoots up.

Experiencing this lag at least since version
10.98.3-win-ddl-public (20240725174632)

Currently on Evernote version:
10.99.3-win-ddl-public (20240729150016)

Win 10 PC: Intel i5 12400, 32gb RAM & Nvidia 3060ti,

I've just updated nvidia display driver (Nvidia 3060ti) and tried the diable GPU work around above - seems a little better but still laggy scrolling.

I also have Evernote installed on two other laptops (Win 11) and they seem to be currently running ok without the noticeable lag.

Any other work arounds, forthcoming bug fixes, updates or ideas?

• Level 5

It seems as in other threads that the NVIDIA GPU is the culprit. Probably the laptops use the integrated GPU.

No other hint than to contact EN support and NVIDIA support about the problem.

I noticed this also in recent version. Starting to type causes lots of cpu usage. 

And this even on the web version that I use because of the constant cpu usage of the desktop install. 

• Level 5

OK, it seems this is a conflict between something EN requires when rendering (displaying) a note, and the NVIDIA driver.

Maybe it’s better when using a non Chrome(ium) based browser, like Firefox.

Else it’s sending a support ticket, with an activity log and maybe a system information from your Windows system. This will likely need a driver update from NVIDIA.

Just reporting - after latest update Evernote 10.100.1-win-ddl-public (20240805023752)

(Win 10) nvidia (latest WHQL driver) currently seems to be working smoothly without lag.

My only concern related to this is looking at Task Manager CPU is at 20% constantly and RAM is 37% approx. and power usage is constantly on 'Very High' (fans noticeable).

When i quit Evernote (by 'File > Quit Evernote') CPU returns to 1-2% and RAM return to lower numbers and fans quiet down.

UPDATE

....OMG now just after posting here, strangely the symptoms return. Evernote just got laggy again. It seems like there is some 'throttling going on!?' As when Evernote is minimized / in the background - CPU when back down to 1-2%. But when open EN again shoots up to 45% then lower when typing.

Edited by flex3000
correction / update

I've tried 10.100.1 from the website, but nothing has changed. I've closed the app, and when I run it again, Evernote forces me to install 10.99 again. Overall, in the past two months, I get an update message before I can open Evernote, and I can't do anything else besides updating. I don't remember a time when I clicked the Evernote icon and didn't have an update to install. Is this normal?

----------------------

The only thing that was unusual from evernote was this email: 

"We are writing to inform you about a change in your Evernote subscription.

Your Evernote account has been moved from the Plus level to the Personal level. This change occurred because older subscription plans, which have not been publicly available for years — including Evernote Plus — have been discontinued. With this change, you now have full access to all the features currently offered in the Personal plan.

From now on, the subscription cost will be adjusted to the current price of the Evernote Personal subscription."

I hope they will help me finally with additional money :] 

• Level 5

When there is an update ready to install, you get a notification in the left panel. 

You can install by clicking on it. If you don’t, the update will install WITHOUT ASKING the next time you start the app. You just see a short notice of the ongoing install.

If you are asked, something is wrong either with your install, or your user rights. One possibility is that admin rights would be required, but you have user rights only. No further assistance possible, since your description is incomplete.

BTW there is roughly 1-2 updates a week. Although this is quite frequent, it is not every day. If you see an update attempt every day, something is wrong with your install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still nothing. Still this app consume huge amount of energy. The worst thing is when I forgot to close it thru File/EXIT - only this option will kill the process. Evernote is super annoying these days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you read through the thread, the problem seems to be related to certain NVIDIA GPUs. It’s not EN that needs to fix anything,

First check your graphics if you run a NVIDIA GPU. Then check if there is a driver update available for the GPU.

The version from the Windows store seems to do fine where a direct install shows high CPU levels. Maybe an uninstall/ reinstall will help.

And last: It’s absolutely correct behavior that hitting the X on a window will close the window, but not terminate the app. To terminate the app from running in the background you need the File menu command.

• Level 5

Usually drivers are delivered by Windows updates. But maybe there is a driver already released by NVIDIA, but not yet bundled and delivered with an Windows update. You can check.

Since I’m on Macs only, I can’t assist you further on that topic.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Brakkar said:

It’s up to EN to fix the problem with their software incompatibility with third party software driver. 

Interesting view - a little divorced from reality since Evernote won't necessarily have any visibility of the actual code in a third party software driver,  but I'm sure there's a coders crystal ball out there somewhere that might help them...

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Brakkar said:

The problem is certainly an infinite loop in evernote code, and this is up to EN to fix.

I obviously lack your exalted insight into other companies' intellectual property.  Good luck waiting for a fix.  Try Support if you need one. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
35 minutes ago, Brakkar said:

Have you ever programmed ?

The problem is certainly an infinite loop in evernote code, and this is up to EN to fix.

From all reports we have the issue is related to NVIDIA GPUs, and probably (that’s above forum resources) a specific graphics driver.

And that’s certainly nothing up to EN to fix.

It's the evernote process that keeps running in an infinite loop. Evernote can certainly track what it is and stop this, even if it's in reaction to an Nvidia driver.
It's more probable to have evernote fix their own process and stop the problem, than wait for Nvidia to release a driver that by chance might stop the loop on EN product.

• Level 5

What an interesting view of the world: Company A (let’s call it „The culprit“) breaks something, wich impacts company B (let’s call it „The victim“). Instead of asking „the culprit“  to take corrective action, in your opinion „the victim“ should act. 

Problem is: If „the victim“ takes action, it bloat it‘s code, causing cost, making the code harder to maintain and to handle. Work around of this type tend to accumulate, which doesn’t help with future developments.

I still think „the culprit“ should correct what’s wrong. 

Companies constantly release new software with breaking changes. It is to the other companies using that software to adapt. 

There is obviously an infinite loop on the EN app that is probably related to their use of Nvidia driver for hardware acceleration. 

It's up to EN to at least identify what the loop is on their end. Nobody else will do it. 

The point is : even if Nvidia is responsible for the problem, EN can and should be able to prevent the loop that is happening in THEIR code. 

Who's the "victim" is irrelevant.
Even if the issue was introduced by an external library, as frequently occurs in software development, the company still retains full control over its product's behavior in response to external changes.

I'll investigate Electron and contact the EN team about this matter.

In the end, it's all speculation if we don't know the code of what Evernote does. It could be that Evernote uses the libaries exactly as intended or maybe they do have a bug in the usage/use something undocumented/unspecified or they use an outdated version. Maybe they even circumvent some layer to optimize something on a deeper level. Everything is possible.

Most likely it's a combination of things between EN - Electron - Driver. If it'd be only Electron - Driver, probably more applications would have the same problem. If it would be only EN, more Evernote users would have the same issue (and not only Windows+Nvidia users). Actually there's an issue open in Electron that sounds like it could be related. The timing seems also to match with when the issues started with EN. Unfortunately even if it's fixed in Electron, EN would need to update it and at the moment it's still using 26.6.9, which is out of maintenance.

So my personal guess (purely speculative) would be: A recent driver update lead to issues with an older version of Electron that Evernote still relies on. In that case you both would be right. ;) - It's not up to EN to fix the issue but up to Electron but it'd be up to EN to update the Electron version they are using. 

PS: But even if they use everything properly, it'd be helpful if EN would at least implement a workaround as long as the thing they are using (Electron, Driver, etc.) is having issues. Or at least have a bug tracker that acknowledges the issue and what we have to wait for until it's fixed. 

• Level 5

In fact they use some libraries (check out their disclosure about what is used in app settings, legal, licensed software).

You can draw their attention to the issue by submitting a support ticket.

Which probably goes on top of the stack they already have - the issue is not really new, if you check for it in the forum.

Problem since June. 
Evernote Says solved but still seeing lots of people with same problem after applying solution.  I tried my cpu is at constant 24%

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 9/3/2024 at 1:50 AM, Djtieg said:

Problem since June. 
Evernote Says solved but still seeing lots of people with same problem after applying solution.  I tried my cpu is at constant 24%

Which GPU do you use ? NVIDIA ?

• Level 5*
On 9/3/2024 at 12:50 AM, Djtieg said:

Problem since June. 

FOUR posts on the same topic?  Really?  I deleted two others - this one has more detail...