Evernote Mobile new version - issues

Hey Everonote. The new mobile version has several issues:

- No navigation buttons in the app. Not intuitive at all

-  The most important - let me edit the bottom icons! I don't need tasks or calendar, but I want Shortcuts and Notebooks at the same time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Doministry said:

I want Shortcuts and Notebooks at the same time!

If you press notes there is a shortcut button on the bottom and notebooks button at the top.  What specifically are you trying to do?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If you press notes there is a shortcut button on the bottom and notebooks button at the top.  What specifically are you trying to do?

In the bottom I see shortcuts to Create, Notes, Shortcuts, Tasks and Calendar.

I want to EDIT those buttons/shortcuts. I don't want to see Tasks and Calendar, I don't use them. I want some other shorctus there. It doesn't make any sense to have buttons which you cannot edit in such an app. Especially when the old UI was fully customizable.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Doministry said:

In the bottom I see shortcuts to Create, Notes, Shortcuts, Tasks and Calendar.

I want to EDIT those buttons/shortcuts. I don't want to see Tasks and Calendar, I don't use them. I want some other shorctus there. It doesn't make any sense to have buttons which you cannot edit in such an app. Especially when the old UI was fully customizable.

That's not how it's designed. This went through many iterations and they took in a lot of user feedback. You can learn more about the thought process here:

They can't possibly please every single user.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Doministry said:

I want to EDIT those buttons/shortcuts

All apps I use have menu items I don’t need.  I just ignore them, and if you tap on the shortcuts button you will get a list,  so I don’t see the problem, but ok, we are only other users here, try feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 2
Just now, s2sailor said:

All apps I use have menu items I don’t need.  I just ignore them, and if you tap on the shortcuts button you will get a list,  so I don’t see the problem, but ok, we are only other users here, try feedback@evernote.com.

I don't understand the resistance in this community of users to any change at all. I feel like the devs can't win no matter what they do someone will be pissed off. I'm just happy the app is faster.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
Just now, mackid1993 said:

I don't understand the resistance in this community of users to any change at all. I feel like the devs can't win no matter what they do someone will be pissed off. I'm just happy the app is faster.

Folks don’t like change, especially if it affects how they have used the app.  I get it but they can either suggest changes or move on to something that works better for them.  Many complained about widgets when they first appeared.  You definitely can’t please everyone.

• Like 3

Hello! 
Updated Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy Note9 to version 10.86.0.
As far as I understand, this home screen view is final.
I was one of the first in my experience to appreciate the innovations in the design of the app, in particular the changed "Home Screen". In the final version, in fact, almost nothing has changed, they mixed what was there and added "Quick Notes". I liked the previous version visually better (10.85.1). 
On my device the scaling of elements is broken: the right part goes beyond the screen borders.
There is still too much empty space, which could be usefully utilized for, for example, a list of recent notes. "Greeting" has been replaced by a completely useless "Your Evernote" caption (probably for those suffering from memory loss). 
It's an obvious bug - when you click on the search bar, it disappears, when you release it, it reappears. 
Judging by the video, the developers thought for a long time, developed several options, but in the end, IMHO, they did a frankly bad job. 
Logically, when opening the application, the main elements should be at the bottom of the screen, so that you can easily reach them with your thumb. A row of buttons at the bottom - great, I like it, but why "Search" at the very top - unclear. "Search" is used all the time and it's inconvenient to reach up every time. The "+ New Note" button is also for some reason higher than the much less frequently used buttons "Camera", "Scan" and others (this row moves left-right, also unclear why).
When switching to the "Notes" tab, the block at the top of the screen with the "Notebooks", "Labels", "General" buttons is not minimized when scrolling and as a result the list of notes is always located on a small area. On the same screen at the very top there is an unused strip with the inscription "VIEW", which has no functionality and takes up space on the screen for nothing. 
In an open note there is a huge "Edit" button at the bottom again. In previous versions it was green, less noticeable, I was glad when it was completely removed in experimental versions. Now the button is bright purple, located high up, it draws attention to itself. The button is huge, bright, and there is a lot of empty space under it. It's a completely unnecessary element. 
Since now in an open note there is a huge amount of empty space under the Edit button, it would be nice to place there icons from the menu, which is hidden in the "Three dots" on the top right: "Search inside the note", "Add label", "Add to Shortcuts" and others. 
The app on Android takes a very long time to launch, this started with version 10.85.1. Impossibly long. 
Checked the same version 10.86.0 on iPhone 13 Pro Max - completely different experience, the app launches quickly, works lightning fast. 
Shame about the Android version. It's not what I ultimately expected to get after so much experimentation with rebuilding the app. I'm disappointed. 
PS And please bring back the previous green color of the internal links.

Translated by deepl

On 5/2/2024 at 3:09 AM, mackid1993 said:

What is you don't understand? It's easy - instead of customization you propose predetermined stuff people don't need. 

Previous iterations of Evernote gave us the option to customize the things we see. 

Now predetermined shortcuts you can't change is totally non professional and plain stupid. I don't use calendar nor tasks and each time I open the app I see this. 

On 5/2/2024 at 3:06 AM, mackid1993 said:

That's not how it's designed. This went through many iterations and they took in a lot of user feedback. You can learn more about the thought process here:

They can't possibly please every single user.

I've seen the video. Nobody ever asked for my feedback 🙂 so I don't know who were these customers wanting this worst mobile experience ever 😔

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Doministry said:

worst mobile experience ever

I guess you didn't experience some of their early iterations.  What they have ended up with is, IMO, quite good.  It is definitely NOT the worst experience ever.  You might consider toning down the drama.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
49 minutes ago, Doministry said:

What is you don't understand? It's easy - instead of customization you propose predetermined stuff people don't need. 

Previous iterations of Evernote gave us the option to customize the things we see. 

Now predetermined shortcuts you can't change is totally non professional and plain stupid. I don't use calendar nor tasks and each time I open the app I see this. 

It was also slow and a poor user experience for most users. You can still access the widget screen if you want to, they didn't remove it. You don't like it, don't argue with me on here, I'm another user, not an Evernote employee. Email feedback@evernote.com, be polite and your feedback may be considered. Act like this and I'm sure they will hit the delete button.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Starting to use Tasks and Calendar integration would be a good starting point, I think …

Beside this nobody will ask a single issuer for his explicit feedback, and tune the app after his personal preferences. Every app is a compromise between different use cases. Better adapt your workflows to the possibilities instead of waiting the app being rebuild to reflect your preferences.

You can send feedback at the email address already posted.

• Like 1

Tasks and calendar are great, if you aren't using those features there are cheaper solutions that are likely a better fit. Joplin for example has mail in notes and OCR in search but limited tasks and no calendar is very cheap for their cloud service.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I guess you didn't experience some of their early iterations.  What they have ended up with is, IMO, quite good.  It is definitely NOT the worst experience ever.  You might consider toning down the drama.

The jump from the previous homescreen and customization to the current one is a drama by itself. 

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Beside this nobody will ask a single issuer for his explicit feedback, and tune the app after his personal preferences. Every app is a compromise between different use cases. Better adapt your workflows to the possibilities instead of waiting the app being rebuild to reflect your preferences.

Wow really? 

Jokes aside, of course. But if we talk about FEEDBACK, that has to come from somebody. Meaning specific users. 

And the fact Evernote is going through dramatic changes, and some of them are quickly removed because of protests, shows the main board of designers is pretty much clueless and they just walk in the dark. I don't know any major software company which would make so many mistakes in such a short time. So stop this silly thing about adopting. It's not a rally. Changes should be made responsibly.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

It was also slow and a poor user experience for most users. You can still access the widget screen if you want to, they didn't remove it. You don't like it, don't argue with me on here, I'm another user, not an Evernote employee. Email feedback@evernote.com, be polite and your feedback may be considered. Act like this and I'm sure they will hit the delete button.

I will do that. 

Em 01/05/2024 at 22:09, mackid1993 disse:

Unfortunately, this is true. It's impossible to please everyone. Any change that happens will generate a wave of complaints here on the forum. This is normal. 😔

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any way to navigate back to the new 'Home' screen once you've left it. 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DPJ said:

There doesn't seem to be any way to navigate back to the new 'Home' screen once you've left it. 

Press the create button on the bottom left.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/4/2024 at 6:10 AM, Doministry said:

And the fact Evernote is going through dramatic changes, and some of them are quickly removed because of protests, shows the main board of designers is pretty much clueless and they just walk in the dark.

No, that's not it.  What they appear to do is come up with several ideas and then roll them all out to a percentage of users and gather feedback that way, and then iterate on the ideas based on the feedback.  I'm not a fan of this method since users don't have a choice.  Having a defined beta program would IMO provide the same feedback but not be disruptive to those who do not want to see a new feature until it has been fully baked.

• Like 3
On 5/3/2024 at 10:45 PM, mackid1993 said:

Tasks and calendar are great, if you aren't using those features there are cheaper solutions that are likely a better fit. Joplin for example has mail in notes and OCR in search but limited tasks and no calendar is very cheap for their cloud service.

How do I add a new event in Calendar on Android? Can't find any icon except the one which asks me to connect Calendar to an account. Thanks

On 5/11/2024 at 10:28 PM, s2sailor said:

No, that's not it.  What they appear to do is come up with several ideas and then roll them all out to a percentage of users and gather feedback that way, and then iterate on the ideas based on the feedback.  I'm not a fan of this method since users don't have a choice.  Having a defined beta program would IMO provide the same feedback but not be disruptive to those who do not want to see a new feature until it has been fully baked.

Okay let's take this course. Still, the defined beta testing programme would probably resolve this.

On 5/3/2024 at 3:05 PM, Doministry said:

I've seen the video. Nobody ever asked for my feedback 🙂 so I don't know who were these customers wanting this worst mobile experience ever 😔

I gave them feedback on it multiple times. Including informing them that, since I only upgraded to the highest tier for unlimited customization of my home page, that I would once again be dropping back to the cheaper plan. 

I finally came to the realization that my mobile use of EN was completely different from my desktop use. So, I moved those items to Notion along with a few others that Notion does better. It's worked out good so far. Let EN do what it's good at and Notion do what it's good at. 

Although I don't have a problem with the new homescreen design I did mail them some problems I have and some feedback about the things I like and don't like. As expected...deafening silence. 

Am/pm time format in Calendar View on both IOS and Mac. 24h time format while creating an event (Dutch). Creating an event on my iPhone is not possible yet. Up until today the calendar is useless. Can't create events while out of office. 

On the shortcuts tab I have 3 notes at the top that I've never set to "add to shortcuts". I also can't remove them. When I open the corresponding note the menu let's me add the note to the shortcuts tab (where it already is)....not remove them. 

I agree with Doministry when it comes to editing the buttons in the bottom bar. I don't use/can't use Calendar. I don't use tasks. Let us edit the buttons. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CFT said:

I did mail them some problems I have

Hi.  What address did you mail? - Unless you were asking for specific assistance chances are Evernote added you to the pile of reactions for someone to go through later.  I think they had a lot of feedback to process...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What address did you mail? - Unless you were asking for specific assistance chances are Evernote added you to the pile of reactions for someone to go through later.  I think they had a lot of feedback to process...

Both the feedback mail link and the supportpage in Evernote. 

• 1 month later...

In MHO it makes no sense to remove shortcuts from the bottom menu. I have shortcuts to specific notes for a reason. I use them all of the time and I don’t want to hunt for them. It’s now a “two click” process to get to my shortcut notes. 

It is claimed that it took a long time to find out what users wanted before the app was changed. I just wonder why so many people around me are so dissatisfied with the new design. I also don't understand how the restriction of previously available customisation options to individual needs can actually be sold to the user as progress. Did the users actually say "we don't like the fact that we can customise the start screen, please take that out, we want a strict default"?

• Level 5*
On 6/17/2024 at 2:11 PM, infrablue said:

I just wonder why so many people around me are so dissatisfied with the new design.

I tend to see comments from several forums (fora?) and my impression was that it was 50/50 - some people like the new layout,  some don't.  There was a poll on Twitter at one stage - people would have be voting for one version over another,  not against having some features.

• Evernote Expert

Some customisation is being rolled into the current release in response to user feedback. For example the option to select which screen displays be default. Soon the ability to choose between notebooks and shortcuts on the tool bar. All to say the design is still not settled.

• 3 weeks later...

I am pleased that it is now possible to set the favourites and recently used notes as the start screen. However, this is only an emergency solution for me. The start screen then looks bleak and uninviting. Access to other functions again requires several clicks. When I used to open Evernote in the old version, I always had the feeling of coming home and being picked up in a pleasant environment. I could see my most important functions at a glance, had a nice background image and simply felt at home. Evernote was a really cool app, actually my favourite app. Now I open the app and am always disappointed at how ugly and unappealing it is. There is no longer any trace of a cool app that delights me every day like the old app did. It's a great pity. I hope that Evernote develops into a cool app again.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Ever heard from the "Not invented here" syndrome ?

Well, that's exactly what happened , probably.

The Home dashboard was invented by "the old team".

And somebody on "the new team" decided over a bowl of spaghetti and a nice glas of red wine that it's not good enough any more.

Send your opinion here:

feedback@evernote.com