Farewell friends of this forum!

I am just writing to say farewell to all those I have interacted with here over the last 8 years. I just found out my Evernote Personal will be renewing in May for $114 a year, after going from $45 to $64 last year.  That's a 253% increase in 2 years, 78% increase this year. The trend is scary, I can't afford the product any more. Plus I don't feel like I have been on the same page as Evernote for awhile - new features are not very interesting to me, yet Web Clipper which I used a lot has been ignored for quite some time.  I have unfortunately gotten very used to web clipping manually, which I will continue to do.

It's a good move for Evernote - with a 78% increase in subscription this year, they could lose 40% of their users at this level and still grow revenue. So I respect that they have to do what they think they have to do to stay in business.

I have exported everything, 25000 notes, into Apple Notes.  The Evernote_backup tool worked great for me.

Farewell, and good luck with your endeavors. And thank you to those who answered my questions over the years. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Good luck to you.

Just to correct a statement: The Web Clipper not long ago got a nice multiple selection tool that allows to clip only the sections from a site you need.

Beside this the Web Clipper doesn’t get much attention in the forum. It seems most users are happy with it as it is.

• Like 2

I just got an email that my annual renewal cost was going up to $129.99 from last year's $49.99 (which was up $10 from $39.99 in 2022, up from $34.99 in 2021).

That's a 260% increase from last year. (370% since 2021)

For no usability improvements worth noting.

I loved Evernote since I started using it in 2008.

I even have a cool elephant logo t-shirt.

But guess what I'm about to do?

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Good luck to you.

Just to correct a statement: The Web Clipper not long ago got a nice multiple selection tool that allows to clip only the sections from a site you need.

Beside this the Web Clipper doesn’t get much attention in the forum. It seems most users are happy with it as it is.

Not sure what that user's issue is with the web clipper, but my favorite web clipper feature broke about three weeks ago, and while I notified support they still haven't responded more than 17 days later... It's clearly not getting as much attention as it used to, which is fine when everything's working, but annoying when something breaks and it takes a long time to fix. :(

• Level 5

Don't know which web clipper feature broke, because none is broken (at least to my attention).

There was a discussion about pdf clipping, which showed to be a correct behavior of the web clipper. The pdf was dynamically created from the website, so it showed, but couldn't be clipped. Printing the page to a pdf, and saving this into EN is a proven solution for the cases I have encountered. This requires no fix, because nothing is broken.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don't know which web clipper feature broke, because none is broken (at least to my attention).

The gmail piece stopped working about then.  Probably that.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Clipping Gmails is broken (again).

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There was a discussion about pdf clipping, which showed to be a correct behavior of the web clipper. The pdf was dynamically created from the website, so it showed, but couldn't be clipped. Printing the page to a pdf, and saving this into EN is a proven solution for the cases I have encountered. This requires no fix, because nothing is broken.

You should try not to speak so confidently when maybe you don't have all the facts. I have verified this bug on sites that do not use PHP. Perhaps it's again a Gmail-related issue as I tested and verified it there. Anyone who uses Gmail and Chrome perhaps can replicate my results:

1. Open a PDF from an email
  2. Click the 3-dots menu in the top-right, then choose to open in a new window
  3. Click the elephant logo to the right of the pdf to clip the file (see screenshot below)
    image.thumb.png.9c19e9f5fa0ed4d10ef848c882d1ba3a.png
  4. Go to Evernote and see that the PDF shows as a preview (single page or multi-page depending on your settings) within the note, but the filename of the note is mangled and double-clicking on the PDF results in an error similar to below:
    image.thumb.png.1a68edde5e54e44f1065098491c87b0c.png
  5. Note that renaming the file within Evernote (including attempting to add a .PDF file extension) does not fix the problem.
  6. Saving the file to the file system and then renaming it allows it to be opened by a PDF viewer (e.g. Preview on macOS). However, re-uploading the renamed file to the same note does not solve the issue. The renamed file seems to inherit the original mangled filename and again refuses to open directly from Evernote.
  7. In order to save this renamed file to Evernote in a way that preserves the file name and extension I was forced to create a brand new note. Of course, this defeats the time-saving purpose of using the web clipper to save a PDF file in the first place.

NB: I have sent this information to support. I separately sent the Gmail web clipper issue to support almost three weeks ago, and no human has responded to that report as of yet. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I don’t use any Goggle services that I can avoid. They could make every Gmail clip turn upside down, and I wouldn’t notice.

If I want an email in my EN account, I forward it.

@Paul A.   I'm using Windows 10 and Evernote Desktop Version 10.85.4. I followed your steps here and when trying to open the pdf it shows a message asking to select an application to open the file. I selected the PDF reader I use and then it opened normally.

1.png

2.png

• Like 1