How can I prevent Evernote from starting a numbered list, when I type "1. xxxx"?

Hello there,

In v6 of Evernote I had "do not start a numbered list with 1." configured (something like this).

Now in v10 every time I type a number followed by a period, EN starts a numbered list.
How can I disable this intrusive behavior?

• Level 5*

Hi.  What device, OS and Evernote version do you have?  My 'latest' Windows 11 Desktop version 10.83.5 doesn't automatically create a numbered list when I type '1.'

I do remember that whatever OS you use this automatic formatting could be removed by using 'undo' (in my case Ctrl+Z) whenever it intruded...

• Level 5

It depends on the entry (both iOS and Mac):

1.Text (without a space) doesn’t convert

1. Text (with a space) converts into a numbered list, with an indent 

Personally I see it as a convenient way to start a list. Nice is this: If you start with another number, plus a space, the list will start with that number. Works up to  3 digit numbers.

The same will happen with typing a - (dash): Dash followed by a space converts into a bulleted list. Dash without a space remains a dash.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I do remember that whatever OS you use this automatic formatting could be removed by using 'undo' (in my case Ctrl+Z) whenever it intruded...

or just backspace

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

unfortunately on a Mac cmd-Z - which should be reserved to 'undo' globally - opens the 'find'-dialogue (latest Macos, latest V10)

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Feitz said:

unfortunately on a Mac cmd-Z - which should be reserved to 'undo' globally - opens the 'find'-dialogue (latest Macos, latest V10)

No option to reconfigure the command? - Tell Support.

48 minutes ago, Feitz said:

So backspace doesn't work on a mac to undo the automatic list?

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

So backspace doesn't work on a mac?

of course backspace works but that's not what cmd-Z / ctrl-Z (in Windows) should do...

35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

No option to reconfigure the command? - Tell Support.

Cmd-Z is configured as 'undo' in the shortcuts list but unfortunately doesn't work globally.

10 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

It depends on the entry (both iOS and Mac):

1.Text (without a space) doesn’t convert

1. Text (with a space) converts into a numbered list, with an indent 

Personally I see it as a convenient way to start a list. Nice is this: If you start with another number, plus a space, the list will start with that number. Works up to  3 digit numbers.

The same will happen with typing a - (dash): Dash followed by a space converts into a bulleted list. Dash without a space remains a dash.

I'm using version 10.84.3 on Windows 10 and it works the same way as you mentioned.

• Level 5

@Feitz No idea what you did to (mis-) configure your Mac.

Cmd-Z is Undo in MacOS, and it works exactly as this in EN (10.83.5, and all prior versions) as in all other apps. If it doesn't you have changed it at some point.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If it doesn't you have changed it at some point.

How would you know? No, it doesn't and I haven't. I'm almost exclusively on Macs since 2006 and I do know how to use cmd-Z.

image.thumb.jpeg.61d10c6bd54c991e88ac01be5aaffe8a.jpeg

When the focus isn't exactly in a note and I use cmd-Z, the find dialogue opens.

EDIT: e.g. if I click a note  thumbnail in the middle column of the desktop and then hit cmd-Z the search dialogue opens (they use find for within a note and search for global searches 'cmd-opt-F': image.jpeg.c0c8f42202e866219c7b1e354cff42e6.jpeg). 

Weird. Cmd-Z opens the find dialog for me too if the note editor doesn't have the focus. If the note editor has the focus (and the cursor is blinking), then Cmd-Z behaves as normal. (MacOS Evernote v10.84.3).

But then I restarted Evernote just now and can't get Cmd-Z to open the find dialog again.

Ok, so bottom line:

• There is no longer way to prevent Evernote from starting a numbered list.
  • There is only one workaround to undo the automated numbering.

What a great application 😡

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Farbauti said:

There is no longer way to prevent Evernote from starting a numbered list.

Try using a different style.  In my current Evernote Windows

1: test

2: list

Does not trigger auto-numbers.  Using a stop '.' does.