v10 Desktop Windows, for a day or two so far. These are my early problems:

Horizontal monitor.
Leftmost column is Shortcuts, with a Search box on top, followed by a New Note button.
Next column is a list of Notes, sorted in update order
Last column is content of selected Note.

If I put characters into the Search box, a popup window appears which blocks most of the visible parts of my Shortcut list, as well as the left side of all the *selected* notes, i.e. the search is useless because of the size of the popup window. I cannot move the Search box window out of the way! Now what?

My topmost search was for ACTIVE notes which do not contain tag "Archive". Interestingly, if I add a new note now, it automatically gets the tag "Archive". Any idea what's going on?

My password protected notes, contain only the png  image of the password encryption. No content! Ideas?

TIA

I am able to type something into the Search Box which brings up a list of a few notes.

Nothing I do will SELECT ONE of those notes: No double-click, right-click, to the left or right of the note. Hovering over the note does tell me that there is a .pdf there, but I cannot select it or open it.

Ideas?

• Level 5

While you search, your shortcuts are useless. You can’t use the shortcuts and search at the same time. 

Saved searches will shows the bottom of the search box. If you have saved searches as shortcuts, you can use them any time before the search box is opened.

• Level 5

Encrypted text is only allowed without formatting. There are a few formatting options excepted, but as a rule of thumb only plain text is allowed.

If you have encrypted formatted text, remove the encryption, remove the formatting and encrypt the plain text again.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Encrypted text is only allowed without formatting. There are a few formatting options excepted, but as a rule of thumb only plain text is allowed.

If you have encrypted formatted text, remove the encryption, remove the formatting and encrypt the plain text again.

The note was encrypted in <v6 times. Now that I'm in v10, how do I convert the note "back" to a readable state? It only shows as a .png of the "encryption image" from <v6.

In v6, I could click on Tags which displayed fully across my desktop monitor, in hierarchy order.

Now a small popup screen displays 19 tags.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

• Level 5
29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

The note was encrypted in <v6 times. Now that I'm in v10, how do I convert the note "back" to a readable state? It only shows as a .png of the "encryption image" from <v6.

I don't have a need for encryption myself, so I haven't tried this, but I wonder if note history would possibly hold a version of the note with an active encrypted block you could access. Really only guessing.

• Level 5
13 hours ago, TdeV said:

In v6, I could click on Tags which displayed fully across my desktop monitor, in hierarchy order.

Now a small popup screen displays 19 tags.

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Actually the tags overview was the last page that made me still open legacy, back then.

There is no replacement for it yet. You can send your request here. Explain WHY you use it.

• Thanks 1

If one clips from a webpage, how does one Remove Formatting from the note?

In the old En, one could delete the end character of text which would pull up the next line of text (and delete the formatting of the subsequent line). Now there seems no way to do this.

Are there any formatting controls for the note when printing (i.e. Control+P)?

• Level 5

Material clipped from Web pages, and some other material e.g. from emails, gets put into an "HTML box." There's a gray bar at the top of the box labeled "Web Clip." If you click on that bar, a little popup appears with a "magic wand" icon, a "visit source" icon, and a ... menu with these and other options. Clicking on the magic wand will simplify the formatting. Once that is done, the clipped material is completely editable. The simplification can be reversed with Ctrl+Z / Undo. The results can be a little unpredictable (since Evernote can't always predict what will be in a clip), such as lots of links showing up. The other option is to select material within the box, copy it, and paste it into the body of the note.

• Thanks 1

Additionally, when using the web clipper, one can choose "Simplified Article" to eliminate most of the formatting from coming into the page.  In practice, try selecting it and giving it a look if you have everything you want; if not, use the other approach that gives you everything selected in an "HTML box".

On 3/8/2024 at 7:27 PM, PinkElephant said:

The search is only executed when you hit Enter after typing your search term.

The lists that show while you type are only proposals, no search results.

Just curious, why have a suggestion if you can't select it?

• Level 5

Sure, you can select it. But it is not yet the full search result. So it will not show everything a search will show.

If it is good enough, just pick the proposal. If you want the full picture, hit Enter instead.

• Level 5

Hi all - 

The time has come for me to backup Legacy EN and install Windows Version 10. Question: From what those have seen before me, is it better to uninstall Legacy before installing Version 10? 

Thanks! 

• Level 5

v10 will install into it's own path, it does not use any resources employed by legacy.

It is up to you to decide to purge legacy first, and then install v10, or install v10 right on top of legacy. Usually v10 will remove the legacy version.

If you decide to keep a legacy copy, it will double the space needed for your local database copy. v10 will download it all again.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

v10 will install into it's own path, it does not use any resources employed by legacy.

It is up to you to decide to purge legacy first, and then install v10, or install v10 right on top of legacy. Usually v10 will remove the legacy version.

If you decide to keep a legacy copy, it will double the space needed for your local database copy. v10 will download it all again.

Thanks for the info PE; much appreciated. My biggest concern is if I don't uninstall Legacy and wait to do that post-install of V10, would Legacy's eventual uninstall affect V10.

Based on your post it sounds like there's no risk, so that gives me the option of keeping Legacy for a bit (though I guess I can't use it side-by-side with V10, so may be moot). I've experienced some software where the uninstall of the older version clobbers the newer, so just wanted to check. 

Thanks!

Why continue to support something that's working perfectly for thousands of users when you can disrupt long-standing ways of working developed over the course of more than a decade!

1) Mac - the cut-off point for supported OS versions is not helpful but ok.

2) Windows - won't let me log on!

Sub-optimal, web only it is! Remind me what this platform has going for it other than having been entrusted with my notes? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
13 hours ago, Ngunderwood said:

Why continue to support something that's working perfectly for thousands of users when you can disrupt long-standing ways of working developed over the course of more than a decade!

Why read the actual explanations that have been given over and over again (starting here) when you can rant about being mistreated? 🙄

13 hours ago, Ngunderwood said:

Sub-optimal, web only it is! Remind me what this platform has going for it other than having been entrusted with my notes? 

It's a lot slower and more buggy now -- does that count?

But, many users here will tell you it's lightning quick and rock solid. Must be some alternative universe type deal -- wish I could live in the universe where that is true...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Every user can only tell how it works for himself - we can’t watch it elsewhere.

For me it works lightning quick and rock solid on 3 Macs plus a number of iOS devices, thanks for asking.

If your experience is different, there is some advise (I will stick to the desktop clients here):

First it will be slow until everything is downloaded. After the first install (or any full reinstall) keep the app running in the background for several days. It needs time to download all, and build the local database.

When coming from legacy and opening a note the very first time, conversion of the data formats will date a few seconds. If you work switching between v10 and legacy, this will happen every time you open the note again in v10. That’s one reason why using both in parallel is not recommended any more.

Operations on multiple notes can be slower. They will run syncing to the server. To speed them up, it can help to take the computer briefly offline, and then perform the multi note operations. I use this only when housekeeping my account.

If performance is down across the board on one client, usually the database holds a corruption. Other signs for it are problems in exporting or a constantly high CPU usage. In such a case a complete uninstall using Revo Uninstaller / AppCleaner (PC/Mac) will usually do the job.

Never run EN with the local database on a turning disk drive. Use a SSD.

Thats my collected experience with v10 on speed issues. Updates from this year have significantly improved the speed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How do I change the Notebook to which a note belongs?

Lots of ways. The most intuitive to me are

1. Hover over the note title in the breadcrumbs (also alt+shift+M)

image.png.175f53552c2f95021eca1b48789238ad.png

2. Drag the note from the note list onto the notebook in the sidebar

image.png.d01ce9f12697526b40ec0663d1de5474.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, TdeV said:

In Evernote 10, are there any options to how a note will be printed? I.e. margins, fonts, font size, etc.

Ctrl+P (or File > Print), then More Settings in the middle of the dialog.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ctrl+P (or File > Print), then More Settings in the middle of the dialog.

So, you mean, absolutely no control what-so-ever.  😲

• Level 5

This is from the mobile client, on my iPad.

You can choose more or less the same as with other apps, stuff like copies, page range, page orientation, paper format and zoom factor.

EN notes have no concept of „pages“. They behave like a website, with blocks and continuous content. Printing is like printing a website from a browser. If you want finer layout control, export to a page oriented program, like a word processor or a page layout app. To freeze a layout you can save the result as a pdf. This will print on all printers (mostly) alike.

image.thumb.png.200d0f7d5216d8ad4a7b9d263eeddfd1.png

When selecting text In a note, one has the option to identify the type of text: Header (large, medium, small) or Normal Text.

So one can select Normal Text and there is a further option to Update 'Normal text' to match. Selecting this option will change all the 'Normal text' in that note.

But this only works for that ONE note.

How does one change ALL 'Normal Text' across ALL notes? (I.e. to change the default for 'Normal Text').

@Dave-in-Decatur and @PinkElephant, thanks for pointing to the Print Dialogue boxes. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can’t set the Text Styles to a different default globally - it is always for the current note.

There are possible workarounds: Make a new note, set the formatting to one you want, then change the Standard Text style to this setting. Now either duplicate this note when you want a new one, or set it as a personal template, and use it after creating a new note. Hint: This was broken for a few releases, but said to have returned to work meanwhile. I haven’t tried, since I simply use the standard setting.

Both workarounds are not really good, but better than nothing.

There is a long standing request to allow the user to define his own default text style settings.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

There is a long standing request to allow the user to define his own default text style settings.

Thanks. I'll add this to my Hope List!

Posted (edited)

In Legacy, Evernote printed the note and rendered the content of any pdf.

The content in the pdf is visible in modern Evernote, but now, Print Preview dialogue shows only a grey bar with Adobe icon and "Untitled Attachment"

Is there any way to fix this?

Edited by TdeV
Clarity
25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How does one do a Search using a tag which searches in ALL notebooks? And can this be saved to be the default?

Remember searches and filters are different

If you click a tag in the sidebar it will automatically filter "Notes" ie all notebooks. Same if you click a tag in the tags pop out window.

If you use the filter menu it will filter the current view

If you search for a tag (using the main search bar) and you are in a notebook it will default to searching just in that notebook unless you click on everywhere

If you search for a tag (using the main search bar) and you are in Notes it will search in all notes

If you use ctrl+Q (which is much better at finding tags than the main search provided you know what the tag stsrts with) it will always search in all notes

• Thanks 1