Evernote crashes on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S9+

I have the latest version of Evernote installed on my Galaxy Tab S9+. When I click on the Evernote icon, the app opens up and displays my Home start page. As soon as I click on any note, it crashes (the page closes up). I uninstalled and reinstalled the app once, it worked for a while and then started crashing again.

Did anyone experience this situation? Is there a way to fix it or should I contact support?

Thanks

• Level 5

There are 1 or 2 other threads in this forum on crashing. I haven't experienced it myself, but definitely look through those threads. I've heard rumors that support is getting closer to being up to speed, and my guess is you'll be headed their way, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I'm having the exact same behaviour in my Tab S9. Annoying! Have tried reinstalling the app, I'll try that.

Interestingly this doesn't happen in my Google Pixel 7 Pro, and I think they are pretty much the same app, so... It makes me think the issue could lie in having the Evernote App data stored in the microSD as opposed to internal memory. Is it the same for you? 

2 hours ago, Jonathan V said:

I'm having the exact same behaviour in my Tab S9. Annoying! Have tried reinstalling the app, I'll try that.

Interestingly this doesn't happen in my Google Pixel 7 Pro, and I think they are pretty much the same app, so... It makes me think the issue could lie in having the Evernote App data stored in the microSD as opposed to internal memory. Is it the same for you? 

I also use Evernote on my Pixel 8 Pro with no problems. How do I find out when the app stores data on the Samsung tablet? I do have a microSD card in the tablet.

I reinstalled Evernote for the second time, and so far it didn't crash.

I'm not a tech person, but I'm not surprised that the Android app works better on a Pixel than on a Samsung.  Being a Google product, the Pixel runs a "pure" version of Android.  Samsung insists on modifying Android to "improve" it.   I like normal Android just fine, and don't like many (all?) of the Samsung improvements.  It's why I switched to a Pixel phone.  

And this may not be the cause of your issue anyway.  But it could be....  Meanwhile, search around the forum here and I think you will find a few threads about uninstalling and reinstalling that helped some users.

Vinnie

I'm having the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 9+. The crashes are super annoying and happen occasionally when:

* clicking a shortcut from the home page

* trying to open a note (Usually it will open the note the 3rd or 4th try)

* lately, when writing notes.

This is obviously super annoying and is making my more frequently used app unusable on my tablet. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice. Will try again because what else can I do. 

Any new ideas welcome!

Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Pep Rosenfeld said:

I'm having the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 9+. The crashes are super annoying and happen occasionally when:

* clicking a shortcut from the home page

* trying to open a note (Usually it will open the note the 3rd or 4th try)

* lately, when writing notes.

This is obviously super annoying and is making my more frequently used app unusable on my tablet. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice. Will try again because what else can I do. 

Any new ideas welcome!

Thanks! 

I've noticed that if you open Evernote, don't touch anything and let it sync for 30 seconds or so (depending on how many changes you've done elsewhere), you can almost see the Home page flick while stuff is getting updated. Then the app works fine!

The crash usually happens if I start clicking to open a note, notebook, etc immediately after opening the app... Of course, this is inexcusable behaviour given how much we pay for membership, but as annoying as it is, it's a workaround I guess...? Give it a shot and let me know.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, Jonathan V said:

I've noticed that if you open Evernote, don't touch anything and let it sync for 30 seconds or so (depending on how many changes you've done elsewhere), you can almost see the Home page flick while stuff is getting updated. Then the app works fine!

The crash usually happens if I start clicking to open a note, notebook, etc immediately after opening the app... Of course, this is inexcusable behaviour given how much we pay for membership, but as annoying as it is, it's a workaround I guess...? Give it a shot and let me know.

I don't usually get crashes, but I have noticed this visible updating of the Notes list (on my Home page), with some flickering of the screen. It does need to update; I don't know if it could be made to do it faster, though I don't remember seeing this before.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:10 PM, Jonathan V said:

I get the same exact behaviour on my Androids running Evernote. You can prevent this by leaving Evernote in the background running. But as the framework it uses is super heavy only on my devices running >=8 GB RAM Evernote stays reliably in background. On the other devices it gets killed sooner or later from RAM and then they suffer from the described bug. Opening a note while the app is still booting / syncing / what ever leads to a sudden crash. Maybe one of the race conditions the app still suffers from, they have to get rid off. Hopefully they are testing on middle class devices as well and are on this bug. I raised a ticket, but got only random automatic answers, the information was not passed to a human for review.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I wonder if this--Evernote needing to finish loading, and updating notes, could be responsible for the issue in which clicking on an Evernote shortcut on the Android home screen, or a widget, or a link in another app opens Evernote but fails to open the linked note; you have to click from the source location again. Perhaps the linked note can't be opened at first because the app is still loading/updating?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 6:51 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I don't usually get crashes, but I have noticed this visible updating of the Notes list (on my Home page), with some flickering of the screen.

Same here. No crash, but it's always updating/flickering when I open the app. If note was opened from a session before it is closed now and I need to search and open it again. That is annoying.

It feels like there is no background sync anymore. Sync only happens when I open EN.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, matej1990 said:

It feels like there is no background sync anymore. Sync only happens when I open EN.

Yes, I'm sure that's right, and it has been noted in other contexts as well. I could be OK with that, but why not just give a splash screen saying "Syncing" or "Updating" instead of this insane flashing? I might not even mind watching my notes update before my eyes, if there was smooth animation instead of start-stop-start-repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...