Can't copy/paste tags

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you comma-separate the tags - i.e. tag1,tag2,tag3 etc and copy/ paste that string into the tags field,  Evernote will split and assign the individual tags...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Marc Gipsman said:

On the most recent Evernote version, 10.87.2-mac, running on MAC OS 14.3.1, I cannot select select tags to copy and paste from one note to another. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marc

Not sure about your version number. I can confirm that you can't do this anymore on windows either (10.77.3). Probably a new UI thing - I was always amazed that it worked in the first place. Pasting comma separated tags still works (See @gazumped above)

If you go to the tags editing menu you can copy th existing tags from there. You will then need to edit the list to include commas. The easiest way I have found to do this is to paste into a text editor or a code box in EN. You then get a list and you can add the commas after each tag (last one is not needed but EN ignores it if you add it). Then copy and paste into the tags area - EN will ignore the carriage returns.

image.png.346729ebff54d695132e01609de86e03.png

image.png.22cb86203c4dceefa3fd03d999c01e76.png

Please feed back to EN that this really useful feature is now missing. I think it is UI related so you can use https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It seems like they fixed it. You don't get the reassuring blue line around the tags but if you click the first tag, ctrl+click the last tag and then press ctrl+C it does copy a comma delimited list to the clipboard. You can then paste into a new note. It does seem unreliable though - mostly it works but sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps they haven't fixed it and @Marc Gipsman and I were just unlucky before.

7 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Just tested it on Windows 10.77.3 and it sadly does not work. Not for me at least.

Definitely unreliable for me but it does normally work for me in the end but I've no idea how to make it always work first time. Annoying.

• Level 5

Working for me on 10.77.3 Mac.

What makes it a bit difficult to use is the lack of visual feedback while copying the tags, especially if there are many of them. Select the first, go to the last, shift-click, cmd-C, open the other note click into tags, cmd-V. Hurray - or *****, it failed.

I think that when it fails, usually one of the steps done blindfolded went wrong.

• Like 1

I'm on Mac, using Evernote version 10.75.2-mac-mas-public (20240209100602)
Editor: v176.52.0
Service: v1.91.0

I cannot select tags to copy and paste at all. This issue has now completely broken my workflow. Seems like the usual shenanigans with Evernote, they fix one thing and break 3 others. 

Normally it updates automatically on first open, but I did a manual update on the App Store just now. It updated to:

10.76.2-mac-mas-public (20240214093250)
Editor: v176.53.0
Service: v1.92.0

This is the latest version there and it is still not working. 

19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The current version is 10.78. Copying tags from one note to another works on 10.77.

I can confirm that this works (without visual feedback) on Win-11 / EN V10.77.3, albeit not always. Some intermittent behavior, perhaps my system.

What doesn't work though: I have now the comma separated list of keywords on the clipboard. I wanted to filter the notes by those to find all similar notes. But in the filter / tags menu I cannot paste them even though the comma separated list appears. "No such tag can be created".

Is there a way to use that tag list to filter?

Thanks.

• Level 5

Oh well, the AppStore version ...

It is known to produce problems the direct download doesn't have. Especially when system resources are involved, like sharing or here copy and paste through the clipboard. This has nothing to do with EN, it has a lot to do with apps from the Store being executed in a sandbox, with only limited user rights and blocking access to system resources.

With the AppStore version I know no solution, because this behavior is erratic and random.

I recommend to uninstall the AppStore version and download the direct installer from the EN website. I don't know if for the AppStore version the use of AppCleaner is recommended. AppStore and direct install run on different databases stored at different locations. If the AppStore database is not removed, you habe some GB (probably) of dead data on your system drive.

But I think this is the only way out.

18 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Is there a way to use that tag list to filter?

Not directly. You would need to convert the list into advanced search syntax. So

tag1,tag2,tag3

Needs to become

tag:tag1 tag:tag2 tag:tag3

if you want notes with all of the tags or

any: tag:tag1 tag:tag2 tag:tag3

if you want notes with one or more of the tags

I just reinstalled Evernote from the website. I'm not sure where you folks are getting version 10.78 from, I got version 10.77.3 and the updater says it's the latest; moreover, the problem of not being able to select tags persists. 

I did the same and didn't get 10.78 either, just 10.77.3.

However: it seems to have solved the problem for me. It seems to work consistently now.

See my other note: 

Since clicking on the link above seems to take you to the thread, not to the specific post, here the gist of it:

(To copy the tag list: click on the first tag, SHIFT-click on the last, press CTRL-C, go to the other note, click into the tag list and press CTRL-V. There is no visual feedback for this (what a blunder!) but it works.)

I looked at the Windows clipboard, it is a comma separated list. What remains is this: one cannot paste this list into the filter function (to search for other notes with the same tags). There, the list is not accepted as input.

8 hours ago, Razmataz said:

I did the same and didn't get 10.78 either, just 10.77.3.

However: it seems to have solved the problem for me. It seems to work consistently now.

See my other note: 

Since clicking on the link above seems to take you to the thread, not to the specific post, here the gist of it:

When I tried this yesterday it was inconsistent for me and there's no visual feedback to confirm that you've clicked the right things. I'm guessing there's still no visual feedback, but are you saying it's working consistently for you now? At least that's a step in the right direction, if so.

I'm not seeing that any tag is being selected when I try, visual feedback present or not, it's just not selecting it even if I try to copy-paste via keyboard shortcut or via the Menu.

I just tried and can't copy any tag at all. When I click into the tag 'line' V10 always starts creating a new tag. Am I missing something or Is there no quality control at all? This can't have been tested...

Remember, tags are the structuring means of choice since the beginning as no folder structure has been implemented.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Please read the thread above - Shift+click on the first tag and - if necessary - the last tag in the string you wish to duplicate.  That selects all tags - without any visual queues to say that has happened.  Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste a comma-delimited string in the tag field of the destination note.  Paste the string into the note body too,  if you wish to repeat the process...

I have a different workflow, whereby I copy the tag to have it help with my sorting with certain types of notes. So no, that work-around does not work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully we can get this functionality back soon.

3 hours ago, gamildesign said:

copying tags not working in v10.84.3 on macOS

Maybe it is a Mac thing. Clicking a tag and then pressing ctrl+C copies the tag to the clipboard on Windows. (10.84.3)

35 minutes ago, gamildesign said:

I have a different workflow, whereby I copy the tag to have it help with my sorting with certain types of notes.

I'm not really clear what this means.May well be irrelevant, but you can filter directly from a tag at the bottom of the note using the menu found by pressing the v

image.png.19f2a1674f74593e712f19264c125d6a.png

Yea must be a Mac thing. It worked as expected until 2 updates ago.

Yea thanks for the filtering tips. I find I am fastest at identifying notes if I type into the search bar and quickly see the tag (which includes an emoji) in the title. Less clicks than filtering  - and I use Evernote quite a bit in the workday. I developed this workflow in previous Evernote and it worked like a dream. Hopefully the simple copy functionality will resurface soon. I did post a ticket as well.

---

UPDATE:

got it working - I think you have to be a bit more careful with slowly selecting the tag. I might have been sliding slightly. but yea without visual feedback it is not user friendly.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It works, and I am not aware of any change. EN Mac 10.84.3, MacOS 14.4.1.

One needs to get used to the fact that there is no visual feedback, until the last step when the copied tags appear in the target note.

• Like 1