Large EXB File

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

• Level 5

In the ENEX export there is an option to split the export file into several parts, each holding a defined size. You can choose that size yourself.

This protects the exported files integrity, and at the same time allows to split large volumes in digestible portions.

It is my understanding that this is a live database file that is changed as the notes change, which then gets synchronized with the cloud, or is that not the case?

• Level 5*

An EXB file is a live database - AFAIK only readable by an Evernote Legacy application.  There are options with the Legacy app to move that database if you need to do so,  or if it is synced to the cloud you need only install a new copy of the app and log in - the database will be rebuilt by the server.  Can you explain a little more about why you're looking to move things?

• Level 5*

It sounds like you want it to be useable but smaller, I believe the answer is no.  If you have old notebooks you can archive them into enex files that you store elsewhere and then delete from your account.  They can be imported later if needed.

• Level 5
  • Solution
2 hours ago, chilee said:

I'm running low on drive space and don't have a second internal drive in my laptop.

In v10 you have several options: You can move the database to another path, even an external drive (should be a SSD), which however is not recommended. You can even skip having a local database altogether. If you have a fast enough internet connection, this is a possibility that didn't exist in prior versions.

Or you simply go with the web client - it is pretty close to the installed client.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 2:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

In v10 you have several options: You can move the database to another path, even an external drive (should be a SSD), which however is not recommended. You can even skip having a local database altogether. If you have a fast enough internet connection, this is a possibility that didn't exist in prior versions.

Or you simply go with the web client - it is pretty close to the installed client.

How is it that I can skip the local database option? I don't really want to use the web client.

What about uninstalling, deleting the folder, then reinstalling? Will that compact the database?
  • Evernote Expert

v10 of Evernote does not use the EXB file. (EXB is the data format for the old Legacy program which will stop working in Leeds than two weeks.) Once you switch to v10 it will create its own local data files. If you use the v10 desktop application it will create a local copy of everything. BUT this has to be synchronised with the Evernote servers. You don't have to use the web client but you do have to sync with the cloud.

The EXB file has a modified date of 2/25/2024, so this is recent. Can I delete this folder? Where is the v10 folder?

• Evernote Expert

Be sure that that you have synchronised the Legacy data.

When you install v10 it will uninstall the Legacy program but will not delete the EXB file. You can do the manually when you are ready.

The v10 data is stored at a default location %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

Or 

C:\Users\[PC Name]\Evernote\Databases

In the settings you can opt to move it to a directory of your choice. Always best to use an SSD drive if possible.

10 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Be sure that that you have synchronised the Legacy data.

When you install v10 it will uninstall the Legacy program but will not delete the EXB file. You can do the manually when you are ready.

The v10 data is stored at a default location %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

Or 

C:\Users\[PC Name]\Evernote\Databases

In the settings you can opt to move it to a directory of your choice. Always best to use an SSD drive if possible.

How do I know whether it is fully synchronized?

• Level 5

What I do: Check in the Task Manager / Activity Monitor (Mac) if there is still network traffic by any of the EN processes while the app is open and idle.

While there is, it is likely that it is not yet do e downloading.

A download indicator would better. But that’s only available on the mobile client

Evernote is pinging the network, albeit slightly. I'm confused: you say, "it is not yet do e downloading". Isn't the fact that there is pinging evidence of e-downloading? I want to remove the EXB and associated files if I can. It is inordinately large for mostly text data.

• Level 5

Pinging is not downloading - that’s only to hold server contact.

Downloading means real data flows, usually showing in MB/s. It will not be continuous, because downloaded data must first be integrated into the local database.

• Level 5*
On 3/9/2024 at 7:22 AM, agsteele said:

EXB is the data format for the old Legacy program

Desk chairs on the Titanic, but I think the actual data format per se is SQLite.  Why EXB was chosen as a file extension, not sure. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Pinging is not downloading - that’s only to hold server contact.

Downloading means real data flows, usually showing in MB/s. It will not be continuous, because downloaded data must first be integrated into the local database.

I am getting alternating 0-0.1 mbps readings. Is that considered "downloading"?

• Evernote Expert
On 3/9/2024 at 2:49 PM, chilee said:

How do I know whether it is fully synchronized?

Your EXB file was fully synchronised when you hit the sync button. You can delete the old Legacy program and it's data whenever you wish.

• Like 1