Multitasking / Multi Instances Solutions

Hey, evernoters

I'm looking forward to solutions that will cover my need for multi-instance and multitasking workflow. I'm thinking of plug-ins nor other addons which will allow me to work with more than two notes and Evernote notebooks at once. Any chance of finding these around here?

Also, are Evernote plug-ins safe and not data-leaking solutions?

Thanks,

Have a great productive day

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I don't use any Evernote plug-ins, but there will be others here with more knowledge. It would help if you can say a little more about what you're wanting to do.

The Evernote desktop apps allow you to open multiple notes in individual separate windows, and of course in the Evernote Web client you can have multiple browser tabs open with Evernote in them. The one thing you can't do is have two different accounts open at the same time in the desktop app. It might conceivably be possible to have one account open in the desktop and a different one in the Web client, but I'm not sure. Interesting discussion starter!

• Level 5

Sure, one account in the app and another in the browser works. Why not adding another browser tab, and a third account. And a third browser tab, and yet another …

You got the idea by now, I think.

Pro tip: Install a virtual machine, and another EN app inside of it. It’s like taking your Ferrari to do your grocery shopping. Wasteful, but nice.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

t might conceivably be possible to have one account open in the desktop and a different one in the Web client, but I'm not sure. Interesting discussion starter!

Works (and is not a discussion starter). But you have to have it in mind - not all functions of the one are available in the other world. It' possible to have even more than 2 account running in parallel if you start them in EN-APP, EN-Web(Edge) and EN-Web(Chrome), ... 😉

But best solution would be to get two accounts running in in two EN-apps (as it was possible in Legacy...). I run two virtual desktops (private and business) and have one EN open on each desktop. Win-Arrow-Left and Win-Arrow-Right switches between the two environments within milliseconds...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

It's possible to add accounts to the Windows desktop apps and swop between them from the top left icon.  The window swop is more or less instant for me.  I can also switch between notes very quickly by having a 'table of contents' note open to which I can easily add new note links as they crop up in a process.  The list reminds me what I'm working on without cluttering up the toolbar or the desktop with open windows and again Evernote opens my required note link in seconds.

In fact the ToC idea means I can keep a list of links to required notes for various processes including local apps,  folders or web pages.

In general though I find "multi tasking" a bad idea (unless you're thinking about a different process).  I prefer to do the GTD thing of getting stuff out of my head and onto paper and concentrating on one process.  If I'm writing a response to a forum post and suddenly randomly think "did I remember to import that ENEX file?" [that just happened...] I'll throw a note into my current ToC "check ENEX" and do it when I finish this post.

EDIT: ...and remember to include the screen clip...

accounts.jpg.f259fed1a48f2adeeb9d510e79118cef.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

In general though I find "multi tasking" a bad idea (unless you're thinking about a different process).  I prefer to do the GTD thing of getting stuff out of my head and onto paper and concentrating on one process.  If I'm writing a response to a forum post and suddenly randomly think "did I remember to import that ENEX file?" [that just happened...] I'll throw a note into my current ToC "check ENEX" and do it when I finish this post.

Appreciate everyone's responses. Hope the OP finds some of it helpful! WRT this multi-tasking vs. sequential tasking quote, one of the things I like about Evernote is its ability to let me jot something down while I'm in the middle of something else. Usually I'll actually go to the other notebook/tag/note and write up at least a sketch of what just occurred to me. But having an always-ready side-task note available to stash that stuff in might be better for focus. Assuming I ever get around to processing the side-task note. My approach is not so much GTD as MTGA (Making Time Go Away).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

My approach is not so much GTD as MTGA (Making Time Go Away)

Strangely I had the distinct impression this morning that there was clearly a Temporal Anomaly in my work room here - I started a job and suddenly it was a couple of hours later!  :D

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's possible to add accounts to the Windows desktop apps and swop between them from the top left icon.

Yep - but it needs really long (seconds!) to close the current window(s - along with all open note windows) and restart a new main window of the other account. Switching virtual desktops is simply a click that needs no time. All window positions are retained.

In fact the ToC idea...

... is OK if you work in one account. You cannot have a ToC that contains destinations of different accounts.

I prefer to do the GTD thing ...

We have to GTD in each account seperately. We do not want to mix it up. But we want to switch on a click (Win-Arrow-Left and Win-Arrow-Right). On every desktop there has an EN app to run...

• Like 1

using the web version is what I found the most helpful, but multiple tabs shouldn't work in most browsers for Evernote (it works for gmail, but not for EN or outlook for that matter). But - you can create independent browser profiles if need to, and then most browsers out there have a feature to either 'install web app', or have the website open as a separate window without UI and even pin it to your task bar. It is definitely not the same, you can't popup notes, but at least you can have independent accounts visible at the same time with no problem.

Chrome for example:

image.thumb.png.2d641176546ed983e8afc50d1b8042d5.png

image.png.14f6084bf1a029b9c6d906e6f2f72c56.png

If you click in 'Open as a window' , it will open it as a Chrome window with no navigation elements, which is actually very handy for some stuff (and not just evernote). Some websites will have a 'install app' option, these are PWAs that have a few more advanced features, like Youtube which can download vids on the background if you're subscribed (but it's essentially the same thing). 

38 minutes ago, GabrielAquilano said:

but multiple tabs shouldn't work in most browsers for Evernote

Why?

I use Evernote im multiple tabs in Chrome, Edge.. and no problems...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Chrome has the ability to open a web page as a separate window as you noted,  so I can easily have three open at once - in the installed app / a separate window / my 'normal' browser page;  and I just got up to 6 tabs in Chrome without affecting my stats too badly - browser memory went from 14% to 19%.  I'd prefer to use some variation of shortcuts or searches to get to notes though - I tend to run about a dozen windows normally,  and multiple notes would just take up real estate.

13 hours ago, ferol said:

Why?

I use Evernote im multiple tabs in Chrome, Edge.. and no problems...

You are correct; I do that as well at times, but not with multiple accounts. However, reading back at the original post, the author mentioned 'multi-instance and multitasking workflow' without specifying multiple accounts. I think the mention of multiple accounts by others led to my confusion.

• Like 1