The power of the new T&Cs

Who owns the copyright of my music and photographs?

It says:

" by using the Evernote Service and uploading
Content, you are granting us a license to display, perform and distribute
your Content and to modify (for technical purposes, e.g., making sure
content is viewable on smartphones as well as computers and other devices)
and reproduce such Content to enable us to operate and offer the Evernote
Service. "

I know some folk have already terminated their use of Evernote for those reaons.

What does the Panel think?

pete

6 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

Who owns the copyright of my music and photographs?

It says:

" by using the Evernote Service and uploading
Content, you are granting us a license to display, perform and distribute
your Content and to modify (for technical purposes, e.g., making sure
content is viewable on smartphones as well as computers and other devices)
and reproduce such Content to enable us to operate and offer the Evernote
Service. "

I know some folk have already terminated their use of Evernote for those reaons.

pete

Folks don't fool around. After all, even a regular Samsung gallery asks for your permission to display your image on your device...

• Level 5

It is misleading to read anything more into it than what it says: You grant them a license to display your content to yourself - and to modify it if it is necessary to do so. If people leave for that reason, it is their free decision. Picking a few sentences out of a longer context is always a bad idea, because it never tells what is in general - you can even "prove" the opposite of what is really defined by picking only passages.

What they say here is BTW standard for practically all online services. They need to handle and technically modify any content, because they can't integrate it as it is uploaded.

Don't like it: Get a local storage, use it, but only make bare metal copies, never use any software for the job. Because imagine: You need to grant them a license ...

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

What specifically are you concerned with?  It seems to me they are only stating what their service does.  They are making your content viewable on devices.  They are distributing your content by syncing and they may need to manipulate the content for display purposes on different devices or for how they sync your notes.

Better lawyer up and sue! How dare they display your content on your own device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

This is a violation of our rights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

However none seem to refer to the verb 'distribute' in the T&Cs

When your notes are synced, they are distributed to your other devices … If the language makes you nervous, feel free to crawl through it with an attorney.

• Like 1

Just a couple of things to think about for sake of discussion.

https://evernote.com/privacy/policy

Would someone at Evernote ever view your Content?

You have control over who sees your Content. We limit the use of your Content to make sure that no one at Evernote can view it unless you expressly give us permission or it’s necessary to comply with our legal obligations.

How do we disclose your data?
We are not in the business of selling or renting your personal data.

Your Content is private unless you decide you want to share it.

Has there ever been a documented instance where Evernote has claimed copyright of anyone's data?

Also, it would be hard to claim copyright over something you don't even know exists (per the privacy policy).

Just two cents.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hey, some of us happen to have a lot of tinfoil lying around. I look good in shiny.

I use mine to keep my cat from scratching the couch!

THIS COMMENT IS NOW THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF Evernote Corporation® and its Subsidiaries. 

Your notes all belong to us.

• Haha 2