Leaving Evernote

Like many I am leaving EN due to the price hike but need to export documents. I can use the export document but I need to be able to move them out to one note which I have had for a while with my Microsoft office package. the issue is that my MacBook Air doesn't seem to like the Zip  that I found on this thread from the wikihow Evernote2Onenote tool. has anyone had success exporting to onenote on a Mac please? I am not fully tech savvy!

• Like 2

A more speciifc title might help to attract the attention of people who know how to do this. From the title it looks like your post is going to be just another diatribe against EN!

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mlc100 said:

Like many I am leaving EN due to the price hike but need to export documents. I can use the export document but I need to be able to move them out to one note which I have had for a while with my Microsoft office package. the issue is that my MacBook Air doesn't seem to like the Zip  that I found on this thread from the wikihow Evernote2Onenote tool. has anyone had success exporting to onenote on a Mac please? I am not fully tech savvy!

That is the tool that others have reported success with.  OneNote is one of the more difficult apps to migrate to.  What happens when you double click on the zip file?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

A more speciifc title might help to attract the attention of people who know how to do this. From the title it looks like your post is going to be just another diatribe against EN!

can't see how to amend the title

2 hours ago, Mlc100 said:

it looks as if it's going to open then disappeared to start with. then I got a notification saying it isn't supported on Mac products

That's a third party application made by an independant dev and it's for Windows only. I'm not sure how anyone on this form can help you besides telling you how to use Evernote's tools to export your notebooks.

If you want to use that tool you'd need a PC.

8 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

That's a third party application made by an independant dev and it's for Windows only. I'm not sure how anyone on this form can help you besides telling you how to use Evernote's tools to export your notebooks.

if I export via a pc would it be possible to then view on a Mac?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Yes, it does look like that is Windows only.  The only other tool that I've seen mentioned here is also Windows only.  On Reddit, I see this tool mentioned for a Mac, but there is a cost - https://www.onenotegem.com/a/addins/onenote-batch-for-mac.html

10 minutes ago, Mlc100 said:

if I export via a pc would it be possible to then view on a Mac?

The problem is with getting ENEX files into OneNote.  Using Evernote you can export your notes into ENEX using either a Mac or PC.  Once you get your notes imported into OneNote, you should be able to access them from either a PC or Mac.

28 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Yes, it does look like that is Windows only.  The only other tool that I've seen mentioned here is also Windows only.  On Reddit, I see this tool mentioned for a Mac, but there is a cost - https://www.onenotegem.com/a/addins/onenote-batch-for-mac.html

The problem is with getting ENEX files into OneNote.  Using Evernote you can export your notes into ENEX using either a Mac or PC.  Once you get your notes imported into OneNote, you should be able to access them from either a PC or Mac.

thank you

Heads up on OneNote for Mac and iOS. They are NOT the same as the Windows versions. As you use it if you also use it on Windows you'll find that especially on the desktop version that you will be missing features. It's been a wile so I can't give you super specific details on what is still missing but when I reached out a few years ago to the team they pretty much said too bad so sad get a Windows machine if you want the features. I don't believe there is a clipper for Safari either if you use that.

• Level 5

Personally I think it takes a masochistic trait to go for ON on a Mac.

The Apple ecosystem (opposite to Windows and Android) offers a full solution with Apple Notes. It still is not feature complete compared to EN. 

Who is looking for a simple and free option should at least give it a try.

43 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I agree.  If on a Mac, OneNote would be my last choice for an Evernote replacement.

Added: Even on Windows it would be my last choice ...

OneNote maybe isn't an Evernote replacement, but in some ways it's superior to Evernote: document scan, printing, pdf export...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pdf is paperless.

But the ability to print notes (paper) is also essential, as I often have meetings and do planning with people in places/environments without computer access.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, janndk said:

but in some ways it's superior to Evernote: document scan, printing, pdf export...

Maybe, but not in ways I care about.  Scanning into Evernote works fine for me.  I rarely print and I don’t think I’ve ever exported a pdf.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Maybe, but not in ways I care about.  Scanning into Evernote works fine for me.  I rarely print and I don’t think I’ve ever exported a pdf.

Scanning documents with Evernote mobile app is extremely slow (e.g. compared to OneNote), and I have unfortunately experienced several times that part of the scanned page is missing = losing important information, because Evernote didn't detect and scan the whole page.

So, when "scanning" documents with Evernote, it's faster and more reliable to just take a normal photo of the document.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, janndk said:

Scanning documents with Evernote mobile app is extremely slow (e.g. compared to OneNote), and I have unfortunately experienced several times that part of the scanned page is missing = losing important information, because Evernote didn't detect and scan the whole page.

So, when "scanning" documents with Evernote, it's faster and more reliable to just take a normal photo of the document.

Ah, I see.  Almost all of my scanning is done on the Scansnap ix500 attached to the desktop, so I haven’t run into that.  When I need to scan while mobile I’ll use Scanner Pro.  I’ve had this for a while so I don’t remember why I stopped using Evernote for that.  Maybe I did have a problem with it in the past.

• Level 5

Not sure why the build in scanner would be slow and easily misses things. Maybe it is specific to the device used, but I never had any problems with my iOS devices. It works pretty well, it sometimes may miss a document margin, but that happens, and is healed by slightly modifying it.

Why I most of the time use ScannerPro as well is this:

• It offers a choice of lenses - which is nice, because with the wide angle you often cast a shadow with the very device used to take the picture.
  • It has no problem with getting close - this is broken for the iPhone since Apple switched to a new camera SDK, and EN did not implement it. This killed the BC scanning as well.
  • Scanner Pro has build in OCR capability, a nice page handling, offers workflows that send my scans right into a certain notebook, ready with standard tags applied, better picture quality controls, and so on.

This doesn't make the integrated scanner useless, but it is not my top choice for reasons.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, janndk said:

I Scan Documents regularly with my Android Phone; I can't say I have noticed it to be slow.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, janndk said:

I've found the Android app to get significantly faster recently, you may want to revisit this. I just wish Evernote could scan to a PDF and not just an image. 

• Like 2

I haven't really used/tested EN scan for text documents (but just for business cards, and that didn't go well) after the last updates. Tested it now. Seems to be a lot faster than it used to be 😲 So, maybe I need to pull back my comment on EN being extremely slow. 🤔

Grrr... I hate to admit being wrong 😕😉 So: It's still slower than OneNote ☝️📣 And I'm still worried about losing content ☝️📣

Just now, janndk said:

I haven't really used/tested EN scan for text documents (but just for business cards, and that didn't go well) after the last updates. Tested it now. Seems to be a lot faster than it used to be 😲 So, maybe I need to pull back my comment on EN being extremely slow. 🤔

Grrr... I hate to admit being wrong 😕😉 So: It's still slower than OneNote ☝️📣 And I'm still worried about losing content ☝️📣

I haven't lost any content. One time I had a scratch pad disappear and then reappear later. That was ages ago and hasn't happened since. 

With all due respect it seems like you have a very negative impression of Evernote based on your multiple posts frequently calling it "Everbug". If you aren't happy with the service why do you continue to use it?

I agree that there are valid bugs, but I see it on the upswing right now; a lot of issues are being addressed and many of these bugs are minor inconveniences and in software development things need to be prioritized based on severity. They are in the process of rewriting much of the client as they've stated so I'm confident things will improve. They already are.

We all know Evernote accumulated a lot of tech debt from the old developers, they were a failing company and that's why they were acquired. It could honestly be another year or 18 months before things calm down. Undoing the mess the old Evernote team made is going to take time and I think it's important to look on the bright side of things or look for a service that better meets our needs. If Evernote isn't meeting your needs, don't force it to-- that's just going to lead to unneeded stress. :) 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I haven't lost any content. One time I had a scratch pad disappear and then reappear later. That was ages ago and hasn't happened since. 

Losing content when scanning (because Evernote scan doesn't get the whole page). About month ago I losed parts of very important document, making the scanned document useless. (Luckily I later found a picture about it taking with my mobile camera.)   

With all due respect it seems like you have a very negative impression of Evernote based on your multiple posts frequently calling it "Everbug". If you aren't happy with the service why do you continue to use it?

I have paid for a service. Don't think it's too much to ask it to work properly.

My workflow is very much based on some Evernote specific features - so it's not easy to jump to something else. But I use Evernote "as little as possible", meaning that although my daily active workflow is on Evernote, I use it only for things that can't be elsewhere. Everything that can be somewhere else, goes to somewhere else. I have moved all my other content to other services a long time ago. 

I agree that there are valid bugs, but I see it on the upswing right now; a lot of issues are being addressed and many of these bugs are minor inconveniences and in software development things need to be prioritized based on severity. They are in the process of rewriting much of the client as they've stated so I'm confident things will improve. They already are.

A notetaking/productivity app with failures in search, sorting, formatting, scan, print, pdf-export, shearing, UI... "minor inconveniences"?

We all know Evernote accumulated a lot of tech debt from the old developers, they were a failing company and that's why they were acquired.

We don't know what the old team did or didn't do. But we know that the current team seems to blame them for all the problems.

It could honestly be another year or 18 months before things calm down. Undoing the mess the old Evernote team made is going to take time and I think it's important to look on the bright side of things or look for a service that better meets our needs. If Evernote isn't meeting your needs, don't force it to-- that's just going to lead to unneeded stress. :) 

Evernote leads currently to lot of stress! 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, janndk said:

But we know that the current team seems to blame them for all the problems.

What is giving you this impression?  I’ve not noticed anything and they communicate so little, I would be surprised if I’ve missed anything.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

What is giving you this impression?  I’ve not noticed anything and they communicate so little, I would be surprised if I’ve missed anything.

I'm not sure where he's getting this from. I just happened to notice a lot of dislike for Evernote in his posts so I'm wondering why use it then? It's not for everyone. These Everbug posts are pretty minor issues.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

These Everbug posts are pretty minor issues.

Maybe for us, but not for him.  We are paying a premium for this software.  Expecting these to be fixed is reasonable. 

• Like 4
Just now, s2sailor said:

Maybe for us, but not for him.  We are paying a premium for this software.  Expecting these to be fixed is reasonable. 

Fair enough, unfortunately smaller bugs like that are going to fall further down on the list of priorities for any developer.

I use Vivaldi browser, and while I love it I've been waiting over a year to have a minor bug I've reported fixed. It's assigned to a developer, just not yet fixed.

Obviously this is premium software so the comparison is not analogous but generally speaking more obscure bugs will take longer, especially if they plan on rewriting that part of the client anyway which we don't know about.

• Level 5

My problem with the printing / pdf export problems are that they went from „we can’t print“ with the early v10 releases to „we do print, but it lacks all options“.

And there it stopped. No further advances, and occasionally a bug introduced here and there.

That‘s very little for more than 3 years. I mean, it’s not really rocket science. And even when one doesn’t print, exporting a note in an universal, immutable format should work.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I Scan Documents regularly with my Android Phone; I can't say I have noticed it to be slow.

Same for me, fast and OCR for handwriting is just perfect, use it very often... 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I've found the Android app to get significantly faster recently, you may want to revisit this. I just wish Evernote could scan to a PDF and not just an image. 

I have Adobe Scan installed on my PC and it Scans to PDF and is easy to share with EN.

3 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Same for me, fast and OCR for handwriting is just perfect, use it very often... 

Yes, especially the recent vast increase in response with the Android App on my phone.

I just wanted to say that I find the input from @janndk to be very helpful to the health of Evernote. Bending Spoons is doing a good job and Evernote is a great product, but neither is beyond reproach. IMO, Evernote and Bending Spoons need critical feedback as well as positive feedback.

(Also -- IMO, Bending Spoons has done pretty well to not criticize the previous team beyond saying they have inherited a lot of technical debt, which no doubt I think is true.)

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

Bending Spoons is doing a good job and Evernote is a great product, but neither is beyond reproach. IMO, Evernote and Bending Spoons need critical feedback as well as positive feedback.

I couldn’t agree more.  I believe BS wants Evernote to be a premium app and they have certainly priced it as such (prematurely in my mind), but they have a ways to go. There are many little things in the app that should work but don’t and there are numerous enhancements that should be in a premium app but aren’t. I was a little surprised that they chose a controversial facelift as their next step.  I’m very interested in seeing where this goes.  Every year the note taking space gets more and better entries.  I really hope that BS will continue to up their game and make this app be what I think many of us believe and hope that it could be.  Holding back reasonable criticism does then no good.

• Like 6

I have used EN for about 10 yrs, only for storing content. I don’t want to lose what I’ve stored but do not think the increase in EN price is justifiable for my use. 
Id appreciate any info on how reliable and easy it is to move my content as well as suggestions for alternative products to EN. 

• Level 5

You can export by notebook, using the installed client on desktop.

The ENEX file is imported by many other note apps. Since there are plenty, you need to look around a little to identify what works for yourself.

Not sure how to communicate with the head of Evernote, hopefully they are monitoring this forum topic. I am also leaving Evernote. What’s absolutely sad about this is that I’ve been a subscribed member since 2008. 

Evernote have been the source of my electronic storage life. I gave up paper filing over a decade ago and Evernote has been my one stop for all my information. Now I am forced to find another way. Why? Because a company I’ve come to rely on decided that there core subscription base doesn’t matter. We couldn’t possibly matter if outrite they’ve decided to put new an existing members in the same category. 

So what if I’ve subscribed over a decade. Your subscription is doubling too. 

the funny thing is I understand the need for survival in this ever increasing technological world. They need to keep up, they need the resource to finally listen and make changes that matter, but new owner, care about your base. Give them a reason to stay. Show we matter by grandfathering the subscribers who’ve subscribed for so long and stayed with you inspite of the shortfalls of this tool. 

Yes, I am leaving Evernote. I will not renew. I do not want to be apart of a company that in one act shows that they do not care. I have a choice new owner and you helped me to decide that choice in not to continue with you. Because you’ve showed me you don’t give a sh*t about me. 

Best of luck, I will cancel before March 9th 2024. 

• Level 5

@merlenec, welcome to the forums. It's user to user here; @Federico Simionato has dropped in, even started threads, on occasion, but not for awhile.

From my perspective, here is a short list of things whose prices have gone up at one time or another, without letting long-time users continue to pay the old price:

• Gasoline/petrol
  • Groceries
  • Electricity
  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Medical care
  • Government fees (car licenses, etc.)
  • Taxes

Honestly, I'd feel more sympathy for your position (and I'm also a long-time Evernote subscriber) if you could list some things that have been grandfathered in at the existing rates, just for people who have been using them for a long time.