I recently upgraded from V6 to V10 and the last 3 months of my work is gone.  I have data thru the end of Oct '23 but I'm missing all updates since.

I have a backup of the Evernote \ Databases folder I made just prior to the upgrade, but I don't see any Evernote functionality to access this backup database or to restore it.

Thoughts?

eroc

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, eroc144 said:

I have a backup of the Evernote \ Databases folder I made just prior to the upgrade

If that contains an .EXB file,  then you do have a backup.  Before you consider restoring from it,  are you confident that your devices were syncing new notes to Evernote's servers over the last few months?  No-one else (AFAIK) has had any similar data losses.  It does take some while for Evernote to convert your old data into the new version format,  so it's possible that given a day or two the database will repopulate.  Give it a little time to do so...

In addition, you might check your account by signing into the web client and seeing what is there.  The web client will give you the most direct view of what is on Evernote's servers.  It is very likely that when you check, you will see all of your notes there.

If you don't see all of your notes, then you need support.

If you do see your notes, then you likely have an issue with your local installation.  The suggestion that seems to work for most people is to do a complete uninstall using one of the utilities recommended in many threads here on the forum, and reinstall.  Note that the normal operating system uninstallation routines may  not work adequately, which is why the experts here recommend third party utilities.

If it were me, I would not try restoring your own backup until you have done these two things - determined whether your data is still on Evernote's servers, and taken steps to ensure that you have a good installation of your local client.  Otherwise, you may create more problems than you solve. 

Vinnie

Thanks both for your reasoned suggestions!

I've waited a few days and the data has not reappeared - The data on the web client is missing the last few months of data, so my local copy must not have been syncing with the servers for the past few months.

I'll try the uninstall / reinstall this weekend.  I'm still not certain how to open a local copy of the data.  The PC-based systems I use typically have a File / Open interface that lets me open specific files.  It doesn't appear Evernote works that way?

EG

• Level 5

Open the installed client, go offline with your computer.

What you now see is what is stored in the local database.

It is a database, plus for each note a folder, with one or more files in it. The whole structure is in a hidden folder on your drive. For non Store installs the path can be found in the apps settings, on the first tab when you scroll down.

The folders can’t be used directly, because it needs the database to interpret it.

When my client is not syncing, here are clear warnings that it has no server connection. I really can’t imagine that your client didn’t sync, and did not show messages indicating the problem. But here only support may be able to look into it deeper.

Hello,

I believe V6 was the legacy version (I knew and loved) and V10 is the new version. 

What do you mean by missing updates since Oct 23? Is it that you are not seeing updates to the data file dates on your computer or are the notes missing?

I did not think Evernote kept local versions of data and everything was kept in the cloud (which I do not like) BUT I may be wrong.  The database in my Evernote folder (C:Windows/Users/User Name/Evernote) had not changed since 10/27/23.  I renamed them and made changes in Evernote and they remained the same.  I looked through the Settings and found one that said:

Keep a copy of my notes on this device at sign-out

Thinking there may be hope I found that the new Evernote saves data in a different location than the old one (which is listed at the bottom of setting preferences).  Following a suggestion from here I disconnected from the network and could access all of my files.  Some information on the internet still points to the old location which is what I followed to see it wasn't updating.  Kind of make sense as I had Evernote Legacy and the current Evernote installed at the same time and they couldn't share the same data files without ***** each other up.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Scorps1234 said:

I did not think Evernote kept local versions of data and everything was kept in the cloud (which I do not like) BUT I may be wrong.

V6 was capable of local notebooks, ones that were never uploaded to the cloud and only stored on your PC.  V10 does not support local notebooks.  Is it possible that your missing notes were in a local notebook?  The upgrade to V10 should detect local notebooks and given you the chance to convert them to synced ones.  If that is the problem, you will need to export them in V6 and the import them into V10.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, found and reinstalled V6.17.  When I open the app I get a "Could not connect to server" message stating that I need to be online to register and to check my internet connection (pasted below).

Of course I'm always online / connected like all of us so not sure what the issue really is.  Thoughts?

image.png.61a3b53cab6bdd025e7f659fbc03b749.png

• Level 5*

You need a 6.25.2 or 6.25.3 version to have a chance at connecting.  You should be aware that Evernote no longer support the older apps and the backwards compatibility necessary for them to operate has been slowly disappearing.  Please be aware that even if you get your connection working it is very much a short term arrangement and will probably disappear later this year...

• Like 2

Success!  After installing V6.25, and copying the EXB files from my backup over the local EXBs - "voila!" my old data is back!  

So clearly this local data was not syncing with the Evernote Server.  Two additional questions to get me running on the latest supported version:

1. Why didn't the V10 install detect the local notebooks and convert them to sync'd ones?  Do I need to do something during the install?
  2. How do I pull the V6 data forward to V10, assuming the install doesn't detect the local notebooks?

• Level 5*

On a recent reinstall I had Evernote pop up a very useful list of local notebooks which I then had to import individually to preserve the structure.  I did try a group select and import,  but that just got me everything added to the default notebook in one big mess.

I'd suggest powering the device off and back on,  and then download and install the latest version from Evernote.com.  Take your time and watch the screen for warnings.  If your local notes are converted you'll need to export  them to ENEX files in Legacy and then import them manually.