Transferring EN to ___ ; which notetaking apps have the easiest/most robust transfer of EN data ?

Have few thousand notes.  Some notes with images, tags, few attached files.  Simple requirements - free or less than $40, accessible via web, ideally keeping tabs.

Notion, Jopin, Notesnook, Zoho and others all seem like they'll work fine.

What matters most is easy/confirmed/robust transfer of data out of EN.  What apps please have the best converters ?  I'm asking also at "destination app" support sites.

Please no drama, pricing, "freeloader", snarky comments.  @PinkElephant please ignore this thread - don't need your usual troll comments.

Next response will be my initial experience with Notion transfer  Thanks !!

• Like 1

I did create Notion account. They have a direct import - where it automatically grabs EN data. 

I used on a couple small databases -  worked great - seemingly everything came over, including tags.

However:  my largest database, over 2,000 notes came over twice - two copies of each.  Deleted and retried.   I'd rather not manually delete 2,000 notes.  If I could fix this - I'd be done.

• Level 5*

Windows or Mac?

For the Mac, Devonthink, which is likely overkill for most, is (or was) IMO the easiest.  If you were using Legacy, IIRC, you just pointed it to your Evernote directory and it directly pulled in everything.  Creating enex files first was not required. I haven’t tried it recently but I suspect with v10 it needs enex files.  Bear seems to import easily as well.

It might be easier to list ones to avoid. OneNote seems to cause many some difficulty. It is possible with a third party tool.  Google Keep, from what I’ve read seems to be another to avoid unless you only have a few notes to move over. and don’t mind cut and pasting.

• Thanks 1

Amplenote have an Evernote importer as does Obsidian. 

I have generally left my notes in Evernote in my transition to free and working now in Craft for most things and Amplenote for tasks and email fowarding. 

Accepted now that Bending Spoons vision and my expectations don’t and won’t match so it’s time to move on. 

Good luck in your search. 

2 hours ago, delawaredave said:

Thanks !  Amplenote looks great too.  Going to give a try.  And keep "history" in EN for awhil

My big tip - don’t delete your Evernote! So many delete their account out of protest or something - there is no gain at all in that. Test stuff out and see what works for you 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ! Keeping everything in EN.  Change of new year is good marking point.  Data is really more portable than I thought.  

I just need a  "second brain depository" - so a lot of these other notetaking tools will work fine.  And each pretty easy to learn.

27 minutes ago, delawaredave said:

Thanks ! Keeping everything in EN.  Change of new year is good marking point.  Data is really more portable than I thought.  

I just need a  "second brain depository" - so a lot of these other notetaking tools will work fine.  And each pretty easy to learn.

My best tip is Notesnook

And look on this my post, whitch I tested...:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148513-what-do-you-think-is-the-most-important-thing-about-evernote-compared-to-its-competitors/

Lots of neat stuff.  It has an importer (although it appears to be cloud-based, which is good for configuration, perhaps a privacy risk.)

It seems to be missing internal links and sharing notebooks with others.  It does not seem to have internal app links or reminders.

Looks to be under active development.

13 hours ago, ferol said:

Notesnook

I have trouble trusting my data to a company based out of Pakistan. Being that they aren't the most privacy friendly or democratic country I'd be concerned about my data being governed by that jurisdiction. Nothing against the devs. If they registered their LLC in another country I'd feel better about using their service.

At least Evernote is bound by the GDPR. Notesnook as like a 2 man shop, I'd be worried that they could disappear tomorrow with your data too.

Another point, yes many services can import enex but also it's important to evaluate their EXPORT options as well should you want to leave.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, delawaredave said:

These are the standard picks. If you look at the features you'll see that Evernote has things that none of the competitors really do.

No one else combines full document and image OCR, email to note, task management, notetaking, essentially unlimited storage over time, cross platform support, real time sync, AI features I can go on and on. You'll find not a single product that matches Evernote feature for feature.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I have trouble trusting my data to a company based out of Pakistan. Being that they aren't the most privacy friendly or democratic country I'd be concerned about my data being governed by that jurisdiction. Nothing against the devs. If they registered their LLC in another country I'd feel better about using their service.

At least Evernote is bound by the GDPR. Notesnook as like a 2 man shop, I'd be worried that they could disappear tomorrow with your data too.

Another point, yes many services can import enex but also it's important to evaluate their EXPORT options as well should you want to leave.

Of course, there is such a risk. Everyone has to assess whether he or she is bothered by it or not.

If someone writes down recipes... he probably won't really mind if someone in Pakistan reads them.

But for example, we can say the same about GDPR for American companies... GDPR is a European thing, and a lot of American companies follow it for the sake of their customers.

If a company from Pakistan wants to survive and operate, it will also follow it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

No one else combines full document and image OCR, email to note, task management, notetaking, essentially unlimited storage over time, cross platform support, real time sync, AI features I can go on and on. You'll find not a single product that matches Evernote feature for feature.

This thread for people leaving EN, right or wrong, for whatever reason.  EN is good product. and years ago market share leader.  But they're losing share fast - even before recent pricing action.

I found this very  interesting - can't attest to data/methodology.  My one week with Notion has been awesome.   Merry Christmas to all !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTg3fCr1WaY

On 12/25/2023 at 7:30 AM, delawaredave said:

This thread for people leaving EN, right or wrong, for whatever reason.  EN is good product. and years ago market share leader.  But they're losing share fast - even before recent pricing action.

I found this very  interesting - can't attest to data/methodology.  My one week with Notion has been awesome.   Merry Christmas to all !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTg3fCr1WaY

Notion may be good for some people but it's paradigm and feature set is different. I wouldn't call it an Evernote replacement. Amplenote or Notejoy are much more similar than Notion.

2 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Notion may be good for some people but it's paradigm and feature set is different. I wouldn't call it an Evernote replacement. Amplenote or Notejoy are much more similar than Notion.

Thanks.  You are right  - Notejoy is very similar to Evernote - and easily transferred over my EN data.  I'm staying with Notion for now - love the  flexibility.

Notion doesn't have offline mode, while NoteJoy doesn't have offline mode on its mobile apps.

I'm using OneNote as my "last resort" option. It's rock solid and I've been using it as my main app for half a year now. Recently I'm also evaluating Craft if it can replace OneNote.

Unfortunately, both OneNote and Craft don't have good ways to import EN content. It was not a problem for me as I regularly curate my notes to ~50 notes. So I could manually copy-paste things over.

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2023 at 11:55 AM, Cardin said:

Notion doesn't have offline mode, while NoteJoy doesn't have offline mode on its mobile apps.

I'm using OneNote as my "last resort" option. It's rock solid and I've been using it as my main app for half a year now. Recently I'm also evaluating Craft if it can replace OneNote.

Unfortunately, both OneNote and Craft don't have good ways to import EN content. It was not a problem for me as I regularly curate my notes to ~50 notes. So I could manually copy-paste things over.

I couldn't even install notion on Windows 10. Kept getting an error, so, looked elsewhere. 

This thread was a massive help. I went through pretty much every suggestion. The final push to leave Evernote was when Evernote web wouldn't work on my Brave browser. I had been putting up (for years) with the sudden, aggressive and annoying pop-ups asking to subscribe to evernote!. Also, the device limit. Sync issues (there was a few occasions I'd update a note on laptop (e.g. shopping list) just before leaving the house, go out and check evernote on mobile app and the note hadn't updated). Had to rely on memory on what I entered in that note. One time, I updated a note (currency info),  that note completely went haywire and refused to sync changes.

Here is my research (your mileage may vary):

a) evernote - annoying pop-ups, dosen't work with brave anymore
b) zoho note taking app - import from Evernote dosen't work properly. Last updated date of each note not accurate for imported notes

c) amplenote.com - some evernote import notes does not have correct 'last changed' date. Notes not used for ages marked as changed 'just now'. Support contact us options not clear on website. No contact us link on website. 

d) notejoy = export/backup option requires subscription, not all evernote notes imported due to limit

e) notesnook - based in pakistan, but servers in Germany. Question about data protection. Export options limited (for backing up) - doesn't seem pics embedded within notes will be backed up.

f) joplin - no web based access. But have linux app though based on Appimage?

I'm a linux user, so the choice became easier after I installed joplin on Linux, tested it, then installed it on mobile and windows 10, tested it. 

I've been using joplin for a couple of days now, and so far so good. Export (for the purposes of backup) works fine. There's offline mode (well it pretty much works in offline mode most of the time -except when it syncs :) )

Downside is that there is no web browser access. But as there is an app for each of the devices I use, I don't see this as an issue. Also, it dosen't have the bells and whistles of evernote such as OCR. But I hadly used this on evernote, so it's not a major deal for me. Also, I noticed that the embedded pdf's within notes dosen't show up embedded out of the box. Each pdf shows as a link. I have to click on 'toggle editors' then click the pdf file link, which opens the pdf. Again, not a deal-breaker.