What do you think is the most important thing about Evernote compared to its competitors?

There's been a quantum of posts everywhere lately about how people are disgusted, angry, and walking away from Evernote... I too have been swept up in this "hysteria". And, of course, the other behavior of v.10 was behind it as well.

Let's turn this around a bit...

Write down what is so important to you about Evernote that you will stay in the system because of it.

For me, of course, there are more things and features, but one is so prominent that it's my top feature and I can't replace it in any time-efficient way in other systems.

It's ANNOTATE IMAGE.

I work with a quantum of screenshots that I can annotate very easily because of this. And most importantly the edits are editable and directly visible in Evernote. 

I haven't been able to achieve anything like this in competing systems I've tested. And there have been quite a few. Here's a list that I've tested:

capacities.io
slite.com
box.com/notes
ayanza.com
zoho.com/notebook
clickup.com
notesnook.com
notion.so
amplenote
standardnotes.com
obsidian.md
joplinapp.org
nimbusweb.me
Dropbox paper
notejoy.com
getupnote.com
... and more only checked by presentations....

• Like 5

Just a few here, but there are many more:

I’m also a fan of the non-destructive annotate image feature and that one is a big one for me. I’d also love to see more enhancements added to it, but as is it’s very useful.

I think Evernote’s editor is very feature rich and nice looking. Putting single page view pdf attachments in a table for example. While I like the quick markdown-like shortcuts, I vastly prefer Evernote’s editor over true markdown since markdown is a bit more limited.

I’m a big fan of Evernote’s UI and consistency across all platforms. It’s easy to use on any platform and it just works for me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Easy to use and consistent text editor that carries formatting when copy and pasting 
Good offline management
Great OCR capabilities 
Email in notes
Integrated tasks 

they are some of the ones I really appreciate and other apps don’t do as well or at all. The Ai search could be a really powerful layer on top of that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

The most important factor for me is that I have used Evernote for years and I know where and how it works,  and where it doesn't.  I have no interest in being attracted by any of the new players with magic bells and whistles that may or may not help me,  but will slow me down for weeks or months until I get fully used to new systems.

I do like the new 'vibe' we have - seems like the new team are a bunch of people who actually know what they're doing and want to make Evernote a much better place to get stuff done.  Having worked in big league IT for some years I know what that takes,  so I'm prepared to be patient - and I know from my time in a Support role how much fun they're probably having right now,  so I'm prepared to cut them a lot of slack.

Bending Spoons already has some good products of their own and the confidence of their backers to take on an ailing Elephant and nurse it through recovery.  I'm definitely prepared to give them some time and will continue to subscribe until they have a chance to get things in order.

My gut has a very good feeling about this,  and that (believe me) is a lot of good feeling.  :D

• Like 7
On 10/28/2023 at 1:46 PM, Jon/t said:

Tasks and notes in one place

That plus tasks inline with notes (no one else does this as well) PDFs and images indexed within search (OCR), email to note along with the ability to direct emails to certain notebooks and tags which enables useful things with mail rules. There's not a single product that does all of these things in one place. I got into Evernote looking for notes and tasks and ended up using it to store many of my documents because it makes things effortless to organize.

I find some aspects of Obsidian very attractive but the lack of a WYSIWYG mode really turns me off, I want my notes to be frictionless and I'd rather not deal with markdown as easy as it may be to pick up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Home Screen which is my Dashboard for the Day ahead, with Tasks, Calendar Connection, Recent Notes Widget, Filtered Notes Widget, Web Clipper and offline access to my notes when required, Capable search and Data integrity of my notes some dating back to when I first started with EN in 2011.  Plus the integration with Mobile devices and Tablets and the ability to access my account from anywhere with Internet access

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

I agree with lionx

On 10/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, lionx said:

- pdf ocr and search in pdf

- email to evernote

- tags

because it allows me to find things very fast. And internal shortcuts.

I never annotate pictures, and am not a big fan of Home, but I might give it a second thought after the comments here.

• Like 2

When it comes to Evernote, the thing that sets it apart for me is its versatility and ease of use. I've tried a few other note-taking apps, but I keep coming back to Evernote because it just works for me.