Downgrading to free, do I lose most of my notebooks and notes?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

So I received "THE EMAIL" that my subscription is increasing by a whopping 48% at the end of this month. That's a ridiculous amount to increase by while the world is going through a financial crisis! Bending Spoons did the same with Filmic Pro but I think that was increased by something like 700%!

So I'm now seriously considering ending my paid relationship with Evernote. My question is, with the new free version limit of 50 notes, will I lose all except 50 of my notes? 

I'm currently looking at possible Evernote replacements. I don't really want to leave Evernote but 48% increase this year, how much more next year? Bending Spoons are well known for this and I'm worried the price increase won't just be a 2023 thing.

Thanks

Daz

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

None of your existing notes will be lost if you drop to Free.  But if you already have more than 50 or more than one notebook you will not be able create any more.  You can edit, export, delete and merge existing notes within the general Free limitations.  So effectively dropping to Free will change your account into an archive.  You could open a second Free account and use that up to the 50 note limit.  I think you could also share notes from your existing, now Free, account without affecting your 50 note limit.  You'll have to try that and see.

As for the price rise, I doubt that there is any reason to think that a price rise next year will be of the order that has been experienced this year following the takeover.  My view is that this is a reset of the prices to take account of around seven years without any increases. Next year probably in line with inflation.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, agsteele said:

None of your existing notes will be lost if you drop to Free.  But if you already have more than 50 or more than one notebook you will not be able create any more.  You can edit, export, delete and merge existing notes within the general Free limitations.  So effectively dropping to Free will change your account into an archive.  You could open a second Free account and use that up to the 50 note limit.  I think you could also share notes from your existing, now Free, account without affecting your 50 note limit.  You'll have to try that and see.

As for the price rise, I doubt that there is any reason to think that a price rise next year will be of the order that has been experienced this year following the takeover.  My view is that this is a reset of the prices to take account of around seven years without any increases. Next year probably in line with inflation.

Thanks so much for your fantastic and helpful reply.

I can't justify £80 per year for the level I use Evernote for. I create lots of notes but they're just that, notes. I rarely use the web clipper and things like that.

I'm exporting the enex files and bringing them into Apple Notes. It's such a shame to leave Evernote, I've been with it for just over 14 years, most of those as a paid member.

At least I'll still have the archive, even if I'm not actively using EN for my notes.

Daz

• Like 2

If all you use is plaintext notes (which is what it sounds like), just use plaintext files saved in iCloud. You can still use Spotlight and Finder/Files tags to search for them, and you don’t depend on any service that requires exporting notes down the road. Apple Notes adds yet another level of complexity that is really not justifiable for long-term storage notes unless you need rich content (attachments, tables, handwriting etc).

On 12/1/2023 at 7:35 AM, DazD said:

Thanks so much for your fantastic and helpful reply.

I can't justify £80 per year for the level I use Evernote for. I create lots of notes but they're just that, notes. I rarely use the web clipper and things like that.

I'm exporting the enex files and bringing them into Apple Notes. It's such a shame to leave Evernote, I've been with it for just over 14 years, most of those as a paid member.

At least I'll still have the archive, even if I'm not actively using EN for my notes.

Daz

HOW are you exporting to ENEX?? I don't have that option anywhere, not at the notebook level or even individual notes. I tried right-click as the instructions say as well as the "thee dots" in the notebook view. I'm frantic trying to get my data!

• Level 5
21 hours ago, LLENote said:

HOW are you exporting to ENEX?? I don't have that option anywhere, not at the notebook level or even individual notes. I tried right-click as the instructions say as well as the "thee dots" in the notebook view. I'm frantic trying to get my data!

What are client are you using to access Evernote? If it's the Web or a mobile client, export is not an option -- only on the desktop clients.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Just FYI, the .enex export/ import into Apple Notes is now finally fixed in Sonoma 14.2, so attachments do import correctly!

Yes, I've found the import is now working correctly to Apple Notes since upgrading to Sonoma 14.2

My problem now is running out of iPhone storage when I input my Evernote files into Notes via iCloud. I' told Apple actively manages what files are downloaded locally to notes, but I can't find how this works in practice.