Charged amount 300% over my agreed subscription plan

Good morning,

I received a charge this morning 99.99 for my subscription in my mobile, from my bank. The usual amount I was paying all these years is 29.99.

I haven't gave any consent for this excessive increase to my subscription plan.

I want to recall the transaction and the subscription cancelled. Please let me now about the process.

I communicated to my bank and disputed this transaction as it is not approved

Thank you,

• Level 5

Contact support … that’s not us.

The grandfathered subscriptions are discontinued. Users were notified 4 weeks in advance by mail.

Check if your mail address in EN is correct, and whether the mail ended up in your Spam folder.

If you subscribed through a Store, the notification is by the Store.

Beside this, you can dispute whatever you want. You either pay for Personal, or your account downgrades to Free. It’s basically the decision you now have to take.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No problem, just opened my Billings page in my Account Information on the web (opened in the web when I clicked on Account Information in the app).

It tells it all - just the last 2 invoices took a little to download.

But this shouldn't be a problem - doesn't you save the last invoice in your EN account anyhow 😇 ? I holds the updating date.

For me it doesn't play a role - I try to hold my subscriptions through iTunes anyhow - much easier to maintain, no credit card information in databases around the globe etc. I can check my subs there, and manage them as well.

25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No problem, just opened my Billings page in my Account Information on the web (opened in the web when I clicked on Account Information in the app).

It tells it all - just the last 2 invoices took a little to download.

But this shouldn't be a problem - doesn't you save the last invoice in your EN account anyhow 😇 ? I holds the updating date.

For me it doesn't play a role - I try to hold my subscriptions through iTunes anyhow - much easier to maintain, no credit card information in databases around the globe etc. I can check my subs there, and manage them as well.

I can't even unsubscribe if I want to... that's another way to stop an exodus 😏

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I can't even unsubscribe if I want to... that's another way to stop an exodus 😏

- Only if you apply it to everyone,  and clearly it's not.  Have you done the usual?  Different browsers / power everything off and back on... yada yada...

• Level 5

The points program is discontinued since May 2021. This is what the help database tells about it:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314268

If you can't reach your billing page, or the points consumption has not happened as planned, you are out of luck here: We are users and can't tackle account or billing issues. You need to contact support - which may take 14 days between sending a ticket, and receiving a reaction.

You need support anyhow for points if your subscription is handled through one of the stores.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Sticking with my "Don't Panic!" theme - please be patient with any delays.  Billing issues can and will be fixed in due time.  Other priorities - like outages and password problems - may take precedence over accounting issues,  but they will be dealt with.  Users can see and add to ongoing reports here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 11/20/2023 at 3:49 AM, George Dimopoulos said:

Good morning,

I received a charge this morning 99.99 for my subscription in my mobile, from my bank. The usual amount I was paying all these years is 29.99.

I haven't gave any consent for this excessive increase to my subscription plan.

I want to recall the transaction and the subscription cancelled. Please let me now about the process.

I communicated to my bank and disputed this transaction as it is not approved

Thank you,

29.99 (in any currency) must have been a Plus plan. That hasn't been offered for sale since 2018, and has only been held over for existing users from before that time. It's not too surprising that eventually it would go away--there was no promise that it would always exist. In 2021, when Personal and Professional were introduced, it was announced for Plus users that "You're still on your Evernote Plus plan, while it's available, as long as you maintain an active subscription" (emphasis added). It's no longer available, and now you are moved up to a Personal plan (paying, at last, what the features are actually worth), or can drop down to a Free plan (whose limitations seem to be shifting downward). No business ever needs its customers' consent to raise a price, including paid subscriptions.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I raised ticket a month ago but did not get it fix. and they charged me $19.99 recently. Blocking users accessing billing page and charge user. it happended to me before and I guess it's not "out of luck". It might be a way for them to charge user. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ziqingyi said:

they charged me $19.99 recently.

$19.99?

I seriously doubt having an issue with the billing page is a scam to charge users - particularly since you can ask for a refund easily enough if a charge seems unreasonable.  (...and yes,  queries might take some time to get processed currently..)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Looks like Professional monthly, or event Teams monthly. These subscriptions can be canceled all the time.

Since no details are posted about where it was subscribed, and which plan, we can only guess. The payments tab in account information works fine for me, but if I want to modify my subscription, i need to handle it through iTunes (in my case).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

29.99 (in any currency) must have been a Plus plan. That hasn't been offered for sale since 2018, and has only been held over for existing users from before that time. It's not too surprising that eventually it would go away--there was no promise that it would always exist. In 2021, when Personal and Professional were introduced, it was announced for Plus users that "You're still on your Evernote Plus plan, while it's available, as long as you maintain an active subscription" (emphasis added). It's no longer available, and now you are moved up to a Personal plan (paying, at last, what the features are actually worth), or can drop down to a Free plan (whose limitations seem to be shifting downward). No business ever needs its customers' consent to raise a price, including paid subscriptions.

The problem here is not that the business decided to raise a price, the problem is that they charged my bank account suddenly, without previously get an approval  for the new price, which is x3,5 times more than the previous one. They rest on a notification they sent to me some weeks before, which, however I wasn't able to read earlier. 

No business ever is taking the money out of a customer bank account, because it decided an unreasonable (at least for me) increase to the price.

Also mind this, at the price of 69.99 EUR (much lower of what EN asks) you get the whole Microsoft 365 Office Suite online and offline/ desktop client including one note and 1TB of space in One drive.  Probably there are people out there that they believe EN worth more and cost more.  I'm really sorry for this, I was using EN for years, even though I prefer it over Microsoft One note, the way that they decided to charge me - with no prior approval - means a lot and first of all that they  not respect my right to control where my money go.

• Level 5

It is standard practice to announce a raise, and if the customer doesn‘t react, charge the account. You can‘t really excuse yourself by „not being able to read it earlier“ - we are not talking a couple of days here, we are talking about 4 weeks lead. And it would have taken only a click to discontinue the subscription, and downgrade the account in due time.

You knew you were on a discontinued plan, and this explains the larges part of the raise.

Actually it is up to you to handle the situation, We can just tell you that this forum is not the place where you will find help. You need to contact support, explain the situation and see where it takes you. From other cases we know that your only option (beside accepting the new subscription, enjoy the additional features and continue „as is“) ist probably to downgrade your account to personal and ask for a pro-rata refund.

• Like 2
On 11/20/2023 at 12:12 PM, eric99 said:
In recent weeks I can no longer access my billing plan: https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action
So I don't even know what the status of my subscription is, when it will expire and how much the renewal will cost.
Does anyone else have that problem too?

I get this as well. Raised a ticket on that some weeks ago. Got a reply that they are working on it. After some weeks later still same problem. Went again through support to stop the subscription renewal before due date, just in case, the fail on fixing it until 2024-04 😂. After waiting another 10+ days got the cancellation confirmation now. Have to trust it, since the subscription information still is not visible in my account. 🤷‍♂️

(Germany, paid through credit card)

Screenshot_20231123_211844_Firefox.jpg

I just paid my credit card and noticed a 300% increase in Evernote's price compared to last year. I haven't received any notice that my subscription would be renewed automatically, nor the price I would be charged for a service I barely use. Any decent and professional company will email you two weeks in advance to remind you. I don't know if Evernote is on the verge of bankruptcy, but overcharging customers without informing them is unprofessional and frankly disgusting. I will send an email to all my contacts to tell them about that so they don't get screwed like I've been. Shame on you, Evernote...

P.S.: I canceled my automatic renewal and recommend everyone do the same. Evernote might decide to charge you 20 times the price next year. Once you find out, it will be too late.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MG1955 said:

I just paid my credit card and noticed a 300% increase in Evernote's price compared to last year. I haven't received any notice that my subscription would be renewed automatically, nor the price I would be charged for a service I barely use. Any decent and professional company will email you two weeks in advance to remind you. I don't know if Evernote is on the verge of bankruptcy, but overcharging customers without informing them is unprofessional and frankly disgusting. I will send an email to all my contacts to tell them about that so they don't get screwed like I've been. Shame on you, Evernote...

P.S.: I canceled my automatic renewal and recommend everyone do the same. Evernote might decide to charge you 20 times the price next year. Once you find out, it will be too late.

<Sigh> a little random online reading would have found Evernote's April announcement that rates were increasing,  and a search of your spam folder might turn up the missing notification for your renewal.  If Evernote is not worth the cost to you,  then contact Support for a refund,  which they'll gladly provide.  More reading might have told you that this Forum is mainly supported by other users,  so we don't much care which choice you make - but if you need help with your account - which will now revert to 'free' with much tighter usage limits at renewal - please ask.

Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - They're a little busy with refunds,  so any response might take several days. 

• Like 2