Evernote tasks and GTD

I manage my work using a productivity methodology called Getting Things Done, or GTD for short. One of the GTD best practices is to organize your tasks by context (the person, place or tool needed to accomplish the task) rather than by project. The "why" behind it isn't important. But I've noticed that Evernote seems to be moving in the direction of trying to be our main productivity tool by integrating tasks and calendars. 

I use a separate software tool called Nirvana, which is designed for GTD and does a great job of organizing actions by context while also providing a way to link them to projects. Whereas from what I can see of tasks in Evernote, there's not a lot of metadata you can add. It looks like I can either add tasks to a project, or create a note for each context and list the tasks in that note. 

Am I missing something? Or is there a way I could organize tasks easily by context but also link them to projects? I'm finding myself using Evernote more and more, and I'm open to the concept of using it as my main productivity tool... if I could find a way to do it that's consistent with my GTD practice.

(I'm pretty comfortable using GTD the way I do, so I'm not looking for advice about that. And I also accept that those of us who are devoted GTD'ers are a niche, and I can't expect everyone to cater to us. It just didn't seem like it could hurt to ask.)

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Tasks in EN are designed to make notes actionable. They are not designed to be used stand alone in first place.

I understand where you're coming from, but in the left nav you can click on "Tasks" and see all of them independently of the notes they're in. It seems to me it's not as much about "making notes actionable" as it is grouping tasks by project, which is how most people do it. GTD is different. But, like I said, we're a niche.

Anyway, it's not a big need for me. Nirvana and Evernote work well in tandem. But if there is something I'm missing about how Evernote tasks work, it would be interesting to experiment with them.

• Level 5*

As @PinkElephant I mainly use tasks in notes - I save the details and any documentation in the note,  and add the task.  The Task 'page' lists all tasks,  whether they're in a note or not,  and if you see something in that side panel that needs attention you can jump direct to its containing note.  Since notes are searchable and can also have links, ToCs, tags, titles and notebooks,  your workflow design is pretty flexible from there...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Tasks in EN are designed to make notes actionable. They are not designed to be used stand alone in first place.

Start with that idea, and see if you can apply it to GTD. 

I use tasks to remind me to do certain things throughout the day, take medications et cetera. For certain things it's better than using the calendar because it forces me to check off that I did it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

The Task 'page' lists all tasks,  whether they're in a note or not

I thought all tasks had to be in a note, unless by "or not" you mean they're part of the default tasks note. I'm not trying to be persnickety -- I just want to be sure I understand.

• Like 2

What I'm getting from these answers is that I'm not missing anything. Tasks have to be part of a note. This allows grouping tasks by topic or project. Tasks that you don't want to group that way can be part of the default tasks note. There's no way to add any metadata to a task other than due date, reminder, flag and assignee.

It sounds to me as though the best way to use Evernote tasks in a GTD-ish way would be to create a note for each context, such as "Calls." All calls could be added to that note. The tasks page will let me see all tasks regardless of their note, or tasks grouped by note.

If I did it this way, I wouldn't be able to also link tasks to project notes. Which is not a deal-breaker from a GTD perspective. But I do have the ability to assign a context to a task and also relate it to a project in Nirvana. And when I have a project that needs more support material than I can put in Nirvana (you can only add plain text notes to a task or action in Nirvana), I can create a note in Evernote and then copy the link over to Nirvana.

So... I don't think I'm missing anything, at least not if I understand everyone's responses. Thank you all for chiming in. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

unless by "or not" you mean they're part of the default tasks note

Just to confirm,  I did mean the default note;  I don't think you can do much with tasks that only exist there though - it's much more useful to have the metadata of individual notes.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, laurence.glazier said:

I have found tasks to shortfall in this area, and so for GTD have a separate note for each task.

Yeah, that's how the David Allen Co. (David Allen is the author of GTD) recommend you do it. Like you, I don't think Evernote tasks are for me. Which is OK. It seems they're working for a lot of people. I can't expect the world to revolve around me.

Thank you again to everyone who chimed in. I doubt at this point I want to make the leap to using Evernote tasks for GTD, but at least I have validated my understanding of them and gotten some good suggestions if I change my mind.

David Allen's company put out guidance for doing GTD with Evernote that pre-dated Evernote Tasks.  You should google GTD Shop and Evernote -- they still sell it.  As I recall, it was maintaining the various GTD lists as Notebooks with one note per task.

You could create tasks as Checklist (or Checkbox) items on your summary page(s) and then to other notes for cross concerns.

• Level 5

Correct about that guideline - it’s a pdf they sold for 10$ online, and it covered the setup with legacy.

So no tasks, only tags and notebooks, but it worked even back then.

There was an alternative pdf describing how to make a GTD setup with Things 3. Maybe both together can be used for a GTD with EN v10 blueprint. 

1 hour ago, Dave Green said:

David Allen's company put out guidance for doing GTD with Evernote that pre-dated Evernote Tasks.  You should google GTD Shop and Evernote -- they still sell it.

Yes, I know what it is and where to find it. I have a version of their GTD Setup Guide for Evernote that is for v6. I have no need to get an updated version because the setup they recommended for v6 would work just as well in v10.

As I recall, it was maintaining the various GTD lists as Notebooks with one note per task.

That's correct.

You could create tasks as Checklist (or Checkbox) items on your summary page(s) and then to other notes for cross concerns.

Thanks, but I was asking about Evernote tasks because I'm familiar with all of the other ways I could implement GTD in Evernote. 

50 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So no tasks, only tags and notebooks, but it worked even back then.

Actually, they recommended sparing use of tags in that guide, if at all. The setup was creating a notebook to serve as a list, and individual notes for tasks and projects. And I'm aware it worked back then. In fact, at one time I used Evernote for GTD the way they recommended.

52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There was an alternative pdf describing how to make a GTD setup with Things 3. Maybe both together can be used for a GTD with EN v10 blueprint. 

Maybe, and if that works for someone, that's awesome. But if Evernote tasks are not to my liking, I use Nirvana and Evernote side-by-side and I like how it works for me. There's no fire under my rear-end to change, just curiosity about Evernote tasks.

I'd like to apologize for my last couple of posts. And to apologize very directly to @Dave Green and @PinkElephant. I don't like to make excuses but something stressful happened at work this afternoon and it bled into my behavior in this forum.

Even if someone's contribution to this thread doesn't directly help me, it could help someone else. And I don't want to stand in the way of that.

Yes, I'm familiar with the GTD setup guides. If anyone is interested in knowing how the David Allen Co. recommends using Evernote for GTD, the setup guides are great. $10 for a digital download. Or, if you join GTD Connect, you get unlimited downloadable guides as part of your membership.

Anyway, this exercise was worthwhile for me. I validated that I understand tasks (I wasn't sure I did), I got a chance to learn how others approach GTD in Evernote, and it was a productive discussion. Thanks again to everyone who weighed in.

• Like 2

@ianfm, I've been thinking a lot about your system over the past couple of days. After some initial resistance, I played around with your approach in Evernote today and I have to say... you have come up with a really elegant solution for using Evernote tasks for GTD. It's easy to set up, it's easy to update, and it leverages all of the advantages of Evernote. 

I am not sure if I am willing to devote the time to move all of my lists from Nirvana to Evernote, but I'm really tempted. I do see a lot of advantages as using Evernote as my "one ring to rule them all" for productivity. 

Thanks for sharing your system. You've helped me a lot and I appreciate it.

18 minutes ago, Bill Myers said:

@ianfm, I've been thinking a lot about your system over the past couple of days. After some initial resistance, I played around with your approach in Evernote today and I have to say... you have come up with a really elegant solution for using Evernote tasks for GTD. It's easy to set up, it's easy to update, and it leverages all of the advantages of Evernote. 

I am not sure if I am willing to devote the time to move all of my lists from Nirvana to Evernote, but I'm really tempted. I do see a lot of advantages as using Evernote as my "one ring to rule them all" for productivity. 

Thanks for sharing your system. You've helped me a lot and I appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback, glad to be of help. Maybe try using the system for a few weeks alongside your Nirvana system just to be sure before you abandon one, or the other.

1 hour ago, ianfm said:

Maybe try using the system for a few weeks alongside your Nirvana system just to be sure before you abandon one, or the other.

That's probably good advice. For better or worse, though, I'm more of a "leap before I look" kinda guy. 🤣

Honestly, based on the system you described and my little tests, I think I have it all pretty much worked on in my head how it would be implemented. And I can't think of any gaps.

Also, I'm not sure if you thought I might be abandoning Evernote, but I definitely am not. Even if I decide to stick with Nirvana for list management, I use Evernote for so many other things it would be hard to unhook from it. And I don't want to.

It's a little off-topic -- although I don't know how much of a sin that is given that I'm the OP -- but I love the Evernote Home screen. I don't use it nearly as cleverly as some, but I love having checklists on my home screen that power everything from planning my day first thing in the morning to keeping certain aspects of my life on-track throughout the day. It may not be fashionable to be pro-Evernote, but I've never been known to be fashionable. I'm Team Evernote.

1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

It's a little off-topic -- although I don't know how much of a sin that is given that I'm the OP -- but I love the Evernote Home screen. I don't use it nearly as cleverly as some, but I love having checklists on my home screen that power everything from planning my day first thing in the morning to keeping certain aspects of my life on-track throughout the day. It may not be fashionable to be pro-Evernote, but I've never been known to be fashionable. I'm Team Evernote.

Homescreen has been a revolution for me. It gives me a Dashboard with access to almost everything I need for the day. I can see upcoming Tasks on the Tasks Widget, what is happening in my Calendar Widget, and My most Recent Notes are displayed on The Notes Widget. I have Filtered Notes on a Widget that can be Filtered as I need, and I have Three Pinned Note Widgets where I can have instant Access to the things I am currently working on. There are also a couple of Scratchpad Widgets that I can note any relevant Info I may need later (These can be converted to Notes if required).  Before Home Screen's Introduction, I spent much time searching, something that is less used now other than for historical notes.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I can see upcoming Tasks on the Tasks Widget

I totally forgot about the Tasks Widget, probably because I haven't used tasks up to this point. So I'm glad you said something! Having tasks and calendar side-by-side would be pretty cool! Also, I didn't know you could pin more than one scratchpad widget!

I am so glad I posted my question. As much as it would be a PITA to copy all of my lists from Nirvana to Evernote, I could see a big benefit to putting everything in one place. Nirvana may have more functionality than Evernote tasks, but everything Evernote puts at your fingertips may outweigh that.

Hm. I may have a nerdy project to work on for a few days. I love nerdy projects. I am so nerdy. :)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You need to be on the professional plan to get more than one scratchpad.

Fortunately for me, I am. I just haven't used the scratchpad extensively, so that perk escaped my notice. I've been ramping up my usage of Evernote gradually over the last few months. And picking up tips and tricks like this is my main reason for using the forum.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bill Myers said:

Fortunately for me, I am. I just haven't used the scratchpad extensively, so that perk escaped my notice. I've been ramping up my usage of Evernote gradually over the last few months. And picking up tips and tricks like this is my main reason for using the forum.

I have found the ability to Link Notes to Calendar Events is also beneficial.

• Like 1

I tried to implement @ianfm's system. I discovered that task names don't wrap to a second line in the tasks view on the iPhone, unless I'm missing something. Does anyone know if there is a setting to change this? I couldn't find it.

I know it may seem minor to some. But I can't write all of my tasks in just three or four words, and being able to see what I need to see on my iPhone at a glance is important to me.

It there's no workaround to this, no big deal. I lived this long without Evernote tasks, I think I'll continue to live if they're not for me. :)

16 hours ago, Dave Green said:

Does it make sense to change to landscape view on the iPhone when looking at the task list?

I noticed I could do that. It's just a question of whether it's something I'm willing to deal with. And it's not worth discussing, because Evernote isn't going to bend over backwards to accommodate all my likes and dislikes. Evernote tasks are something I want to use or they aren't.

But it was sure nice of fellow users to take the time to help.

• Like 3

Not to belabor this further, but I couldn't stop obsessing about @ianfm's suggested Evernote/GTD setup and after a little more experimentation, I've decided to take the plunge. I am implementing @ianfm's suggestions pretty much to the letter, with maybe a couple-few tweaks of my own. And... I actually like this setup. Keeping everything in Evernote has a lot to recommend it.

Sometimes I'm a little slow and stubborn when it comes to embracing change. Still, it's nice to have the Evernote Hive Mind help me along with that. ;)

• Like 3

I would also like to use Tasks for GTD, but I came up against a problem filtering on multiple tags. The search seems to be on exact text strings, so filtering on #tag1 #tag3 would find this task:

Do this #tag1 #tag3

but not this one:

Do this #tag1 #tag2 #tag3

So unless things have changed, not flexible enough for me.

Also on mobile, the Located in filter stopped working some months ago.

I have suggested to @Federico Simionato that the tasks display be pre-filtered to whatever notes are already showing, which would work round both these issues.

• 2 months later...

I do what @ianfm suggests pretty much.  Works awesome.   Most of my tasks do fall into projects - but I just create individual notes for all the one-off tasks too. On a side note...I've done it both ways (having a big master list for one-off tasks and ) and I have found individual notes for one-off tasks works for me better in being able to process tasks quickly and consistently the same way.

Inside each note I individually "tag" each task myself. I put the "tag" at the end of the task title by using "@calls" or "@quick" or "@computer" or "@athome", etc. I sometimes put mulitple "tags" on each task (aka. the task might be "Reply to caterer regarding parent event @quick @computer @atschool". I always put "no date" reminders on all notes that should/will or do contain actual tasks so that I can quickly find any notes that should have a next action task on it....but don't.  I will, however, set the note to the REAL due date/time instead of the project/thing if I really have one.... and also put it on my calendar automatically using zapier. For the individual tasks within task or project notes... I will put a reminder on the task for some point in the future of when I want to remember to think about it or consider doing it then. The only "due dates" that go on my tasks or my notes are those that are FIRM. This keeps my calendar uncluttered and REAL. I always have one task reminder going for at least 1 action task in every project... for me that makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. 

Honestly, this has allowed me to quickly use the task manager or search to pull up really whatever I want. I can pull up task manager to see things that are sorted as a list by reminder due/dates, note, flagged, etc. OR if I'm sitting in the car waiting and have nothing to do - I can run a quick task search based on context like @quick or @calls (or both) and pull up all my individual tasks that might suit that situation - project ones or one-offs. I prefer doing this vs using evernote's built in tags due to the limitations of their tags in evernote only being on individual notes and not on the individual tasks (which is what I want). The other nice thing is if I'm working inside a specific project note - I can change/update the individual task's context or status quickly by just typing a different "tag" onto it (@waitingfor) etc. as things move forward. I don't have to click to remove tags or add them or move them to another notebook or anything.

I put a screenshot here if it helps anyone. I'm a visual person - so seeing how others have done things/organized really helped me find my system. All my tasks are either inside a project note inside my Projects List notebook or if "one off" tasks, they each have their own note and have been sorted by it's "main" context folder. The reason I do my "one-off" tasks this way (and not on one main list or something) is I have my email setup in zapier to forward emails to Evernote that I mark "action-on". I like it this way as i can then quickly create a task from the email created note of whatever action I need to do and just drag/drop the email note into the correct context notebook after. I do the same thing with reminders that come from my apple watch while I'm on the move - I just have them forwarded into evernote automatically as a note (can use IFTTT for this) and then I process it in the same manner. I really "dump" everything into evernote now - out of my brain into evernote! This way no matter HOW it gets into evernote - I consistency find/see/process my tasks the same way so they never get lost or forgotten. 

evernotescreenshot.thumb.png.01b0081033f89c007cd6ad1f65e94e57.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1