Odd problem with accessing Legacy note checkboxes from version 10

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.c723aed00d539ea83735dd34edce0ff5.png

In the legacy version, the tick boxes are displayed as shown in the earlier part of the excerpt. However, in version 10, they appear with an 'X'. If I attempt to modify or add a new entry to the note in v10, it reverts to the tick box with a strikethrough style. It's quite peculiar, and I only observed this today.

Just noticed that if you modify a checkbox in version 10 to match the appearance in Legacy and then revisit the same note it in Legacy, the note transforms the checkboxes into a bullet point without a tick box.

image.thumb.png.f20e9eeed2b56e28052be6e0fcec9d93.png 

• KoZz changed the title to Odd problem with accessing Legacy note checkboxes from version 10
  • Evernote Expert

There are many discussions on the difference between v10 CHECKLISTS and Legacy CHECK-BOXES.

With patience they can coexist. V10 is keen to convert everything to a checklist. Check-boxes exist in the middle of text. So place a space or other character before a Check-box and it will remain. Put it at the start of a line and it will convert to a Checklist.

• 5 months later...

Question for this - why are there two types? How do I keep one vs. The other? Is it a formatting issue?

When I add a checkbox from an existing line (with checkbox) then the two lines move to the right and become a different style?

Any input would be great. Thanks. 

i've found that in old notes with checklists, I get the X on the top item, but any nested items (i.e. tabbed over to the right beneath the top item) will get the checkmark with the strikethrough.

Wish I could say that was my top annoyance with v10, but it's not even close.

• Like 1

I have amny android annoyances, I still get crashes for no reason, little to to no responce from tech support in months. But this I thought would ge an easy "fix"  

However nothing ever seems easy with v10.

I actually miss the old version. 

Anyway, thanks for the input. 

Question for this - why are there two types? How do I keep one vs. The other? Is it a formatting issue?

When I add a checkbox from an existing line (with checkbox) then the two lines move to the right and become a different style?

Any input would be great. Thanks. 

I'm afraid I can't add anything to the discussion of what happens to checkboxes created in legacy as it is a long time since I used legacy.

Going forward there are now two features, Check boxes and checklists.

Checklists are lists so can be dragged around into different orders, indented etc. There is also the option to strike through text when a checklist is completed. They can be added using the menu commands or the {open square braket}{close square bracket} shortcut as the beginning of a line. Hitting enter at the end of the line automatically creates the next checklist item.

Checkboxes are stand alone and can be added anywhere. You can use multiple checkboxes in a row. They are more like a character. However if you attempt to add a checkbox at the beginning of a line EN will automatically turn it into a checklist. The workaround is to add a character (eg a period) before the checkbox.

The filter/search for notes containing checklists/checkboxes is a bit hit and miss - search for a full discussion on the forum if that is important to you.

I tend to use checklists most as I like the crossing out and the ability to easily sort them into an order. I mainly use checkboxes if I want to use multiple checkboxes in a row.

• Like 1

If you share a note online, or export to html, or send it as a mail: checkboxes are working, but  checklists are converted to bulletpoints.

@KoZz  @KCour2006

• Legacy only supports checkboxes (displayed as in Legacy 😉)

• EN10 uses two different modes for checkboxes:
    • (Checklist) in front of the lines
      • default, inserted by CTRL-SHIFT-C anywhere in the text
      • or by typing "[]" or "[x]" (without the surrounding quotes) at the beginning of a line
      • When marked, the text becomes strikethrough.
    • (Checkbox) anywhere in the text
      • inserted by the round icon with "+" in the upper left corner of a note
      • or by typing "[]" or "[x]" (without the surrounding quotes) ... not at the beginning of a line
      • When marked, it does NOT become strikethrough.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

When the text is marked, the font becomes strikethrough.

As I have already pointed out this is an option and therefore does not distingush between checklists and checkboxes

• Level 5

The strikethrough of the text when a position is ticked can be toggled off in the app settings.

I don’t know why somebody would like to switch this dramatic improvement („Take THAT, evil task !“) off, but it was added on user request some 2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1