Search field is moving - it is not good

When you click on the search field, the field moves down. This causes great inconvenience if there was already a word in the search field and you want to select it entirely in order to write another word instead. Previously, it was enough to double-click on a word in the search field. Now, first you have to single-click on the search field, then you need to move the mouse cursor down to the new position of the search field, and only after that you can double-click on the word and select it entirely. Two extra actions have been added. It is not so good for usability.

Please do not move the search field when the user clicks on it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Evernote is now on 10.63.3 - I can't replicate your experience;  if I click in the search field,  the window does change,  but my cursor is still there,  and when I type a search term and do the same,  again the window expands but leaves the original word and my cursor.

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

Evernote is now on 10.63.3 - I can't replicate your experience;  if I click in the search field,  the window does change,  but my cursor is still there,  and when I type a search term and do the same,  again the window expands but leaves the original word and my cursor.

I have updated to 10.63.3 and still see the problem. I can not select the word by double-click directly. First, need single-click, then need move the cursor and only after this I can select the word by double-click.

Is it possible to make a video in your case? We can compare.

It looks to me like this new behavior is exactly the same on Windows...

The reason that the Search field that you type in is not exactly overlayed from where you click in the sidebar is because of the newly added "AI Search".  The "Search" in the sidebar is no longer an editable widget. Instead of the Search field being in the exact same Y-position as it is in the sidebar, it jumps down a bit because this new "Select mode.     [Standard ]|[ AI-Powered]" appears at the top of the search now.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, Walder said:

This causes great inconvenience if there was already a word in the search field and you want to select it entirely in order to write another word instead.

If your main point is to clear the existing search term, then you could try clicking the little 'X' first in the existing search field, then click again in the search field. This is still just two clicks with no additional mouse movement, albeit not quite as quick as a double-click.

image.gif.1094e7fc8910d866fa95c94c7bbfa8d0.gif

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Actually I don't see the relevance.

When I click into the search field, the search box opens. The cursor is already placed in the field for entering the text string. There is no need to reposition it - just start typing. From my experience with apps it is pretty normal that the search box (many apps use something similar) will appear somewhere, and not exactly where I click to start a search process.

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually I don't see the relevance.

When I click into the search field, the search box opens. The cursor is already placed in the field for entering the text string. There is no need to reposition it - just start typing. From my experience with apps it is pretty normal that the search box (many apps use something similar) will appear somewhere, and not exactly where I click to start a search process.

"This causes great inconvenience if there was already a word in the search field and you want to select it entirely in order to write another word instead."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Respondents are not helpful. This is actually messed up.

On Mac:

1) Perform a search on a word (which sometimes is broken, it won't search, it will just erase your word and you have to type it again - this is a different bug of many)

2) Now the search field is populated with a word, you want to search on a new word. 

The best way would be to double click on the populated word to highlight it, so you can type a new word on top. But on the first click it moves, it is no longer under the mouse cursor. You can't just double click it. You have to chase it and double click in its new location.

It was suggested to click the X to clear the search field. Now the cursor is not in the search field (it is nowhere) and you have to move the mouse into the search field and click again. And when you do the search field moves again. 

This is all bad. It should be fixed. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, ddenlinger said:

On Mac:

1) Perform a search on a word (which sometimes is broken, it won't search, it will just erase your word and you have to type it again - this is a different bug of many)

2) Now the search field is populated with a word, you want to search on a new word. 

The best way would be to double click on the populated word to highlight it, so you can type a new word on top. But on the first click it moves, it is no longer under the mouse cursor. You can't just double click it. You have to chase it and double click in its new location.

It was suggested to click the X to clear the search field. Now the cursor is not in the search field (it is nowhere) and you have to move the mouse into the search field and click again. And when you do the search field moves again. 

Agreed! This is a (small) irritation to me every single day. Thanks for describing the issue succinctly. I hope Evernote fixes it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ddenlinger said:

Respondents are not helpful.

Ah man - I even made a little gif. 😢 

Well, the original commenter liked my comment, so hopefully it was somewhat helpful to them.

2 hours ago, ddenlinger said:

The best way would be to double click on the populated word to highlight it, so you can type a new word on top.

You can achieve the exact same thing by double-clicking the 'X'.

I agree that this new UX is not as good as the old UX*, but there are still some things you can do differently to make it a better experience.

*I'm not a big fan of the UI/UX for AI Note Cleanup or AI Search in general because I never use them. Now they change the behavior of the search box, it takes up prime real-estate on the tool bar button, and takes up more space in the search on mobile. But it also doesn't bother me too much. I think I've only griped about it a couple of times before in the forums.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Has anyone actually fed that back to Evernote?  The more folks who do,  the more likely it is to get fixed...

I've submitted feedback on the AI Note Cleanup button on the toolbar, but this particular UX issue isn't a bother to me. I use the 'Switch To' command 98% of the time vs the Search box in the side bar when I want to search for something (by title, tag, or note text)

They've talked about wanting to improve the UI and UX, yet this is arguably a worse UX than what was there before. I wonder if it's just working as designed or if they do plan to re-address this as well. There definitely isn't a lot of chatter about the search box cursor jumping in the forums though. I think this is the only thread on it with only a few comments about it. But a good idea to submit user feedback if this is a bother.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2023 at 5:34 AM, ddenlinger said:

On Mac:

My solution now - using Control + Command + E keyboard shortcut to jump to the search field. If there are any words from the last search - use Command + Backspace to delete them.

I hate the new location of the search field in the left top corner. The most of applications have it in the right top corner. Why Evernote moved it? It always mess me up when I want to move the mouse there. Now I try to use more keyboard shortcuts.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

In v10 it has always been there. From the UI it makes sense - all functions like search or new notes ar located at the left. The right UI area above the note is reserved for operations on this selected note. Consequently the search window to search INSIDE of a note is as well located there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem as well. I am completely up to date. It is so annoying. You click to type in the search and the freaking search box moves. Why does it have to move!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You click into the field, and the box opens, with the cursor already set to the right place. At least this is how it works for me. I can just start typing.

I agree it is not a good UI move. But it is not necessary to look for a new target to click on, do so and only then continue the search interaction. It is already all set up for entry of the search string.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You click into the field, and the box opens, with the cursor already set to the right place. At least this is how it works for me. I can just start typing.

I agree it is not a good UI move. But it is not necessary to look for a new target to click on, do so and only then continue the search interaction. It is already all set up for entry of the search string.

The annoying scenario is when there is an existing search term and you wish to search something else. Previously one could double-click the search box to highlight the search term and immediately begin typing. Due to the UI shift, that is no longer possible.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You click into the field, and the box opens, ...

That's exactly the problem: If I click on an input field, I do not expect to open a dialog box.

It would be OK, to offer some other buttons or dialog elements around the field (see i.e. Outlook, MS-Teams and many other convinient apps). Searching is (beside note taking) the most important use case in EN.

The search input field has to get available all the time (i.e. within the title bar). See MS-Teams to get an example (also implemented with Electron framework!). I do not want to search for the search field to open a search dialog...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

This moving search entry is also driving me a little crazier every day. (Mac 10.77.3). I like what @AlbertR said above "If I click on an input fieldI do not expect to open a dialog box." At least have it open in the same spot if it does. And also agree with @Paul A. that the truly annoying part is when you want to search for something different. Despite knowing this will happen, I'm still constantly double clicking in the search box thinking that it will select the existing search word currently there only to have me clicking the top of the popup box. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Just needs a little training of the muscle memory. When you click it, the cursor will already be in the search field, so no need to target yet another place than the one you have clicked. Anyhow, the faster way is cmd-J (Mac) / ctrl-Q (Windows), the quick note switcher. It replaces using the search field for most simple search tasks.

Thanks @PinkElephantI've slowly begun to incorporate Cmd-J as a search "replacement" but kindly disagree with the muscle memory part. The muscle memory is already well-established that the search box should NOT work that way :). Seems the fix should be to align a mainstream productivity app with common workflow and UI/UX expectations not the other way around. 

• Like 2